[Kids]Parental bragging thread

Everything else!

Moderators: Bakhtosh, EvilHomer3k

DD*

Post by DD* »

Gotta brag on my kidlings a bit... even though my ex and I are divorced, we're a hockey family. Both of the kids (girl, 12, and boy, 9) play travel hockey. Now that the season is winding down, we're looking at spring hockey, aka setting yourself up for next season.

The boy has skated in tryouts for 5 different travel teams in the last two years - every one has offered him a spot after the first skate each time (very big deal!).

We called to find out info on tryout times for a very big girls organization (state champs) for the girl a week ago. "Where does she play?" <location> "What is her number?" <7> "Oh, we definitely want her to come out to the tryouts? Is she trying out anywhere else this year? Are you sure you can make it this day?"

Nice to see they are scouting my girl... :)

Very gratifying!
Are you a prostitute Rip? Because you blow the margins more than a $5 hooker. -rshetts2

Much like bravery is acting in spite of fear, being a functioning adult is acting responsibly in the face of temptation. -Isg
Paingod

Re: [Kids]Parental bragging thread

Post by Paingod »

The Eldest (5) was tapped at school to be part of a small group hand-picked by a guidance counselor to help bring a really shy and introverted 1st grader out of his shell. They needed kids that were positive, non-judgmental, and outgoing.

Quite proud of my boy for being an awesome person, and I let him know it.
Black Lives Matter

2021-01-20: The first good night's sleep I had in 4 years.
Remus West

Post by Remus West »

Not bragging on my kids but I have found that the very best motivator for the kids I teach (right now I'm working with at risk 6th graders) is an unexpected call home to tell their folks how well they are doing with their in class behavior. The kids take to those calls like a crack addict to a free high. They come back looking to do everything in their power to get more of them. Solved multiple behavior problems so far by making calls home to praise them on their good days. :D
“As democracy is perfected, the office of president represents, more and more closely, the inner soul of the people. On some great and glorious day the plain folks of the land will reach their heart's desire at last and the White House will be adorned by a downright moron.” - H.L. Mencken
paulbaxter

Post by paulbaxter »

I swear I'm not making this up. This is from just now at the dinner table.
(My boys are currently 6, 8, and 10. John is the oldest)

Me: Would you like to hear a really long word?
Boys: Sure.
Me: Pneumonoultramicroscopicsilicovolcanokoniosis.
John: We already know that one.
Me: ?
Me again: Do you know what it means?
John: It means a disease caused by inhaling volcanic dust.
No sig, must scream, etc.
Isgrimnur

Post by Isgrimnur »

We found Smoove's alt.

:horse:

And there is no 'k'.
It's almost as if people are the problem.
paulbaxter

Post by paulbaxter »

Isgrimnur wrote:We found Smoove's alt.

:horse:

And there is no 'k'.
There is a "k" in the OED, at least according to Ammon Shea's book.

http://www.amazon.com/Reading-OED-One-Y ... 399535055/
paulbaxter

Post by paulbaxter »

I learned something important from my kids today. Dragons have to hold in their farts so they have enough methane to breathe fire.
El Guapo

Post by El Guapo »

paulbaxter wrote:I learned something important from my kids today. Dragons have to hold in their farts so they have enough methane to breathe fire.
I mean, that's like science 101.
Black Lives Matter.
Blackhawk

Post by Blackhawk »

So, my oldest, at 13,​ didn't feel much desire to take the standard 'Intro to Agriculture' they give all 8th graders in Indiana, so the junior high principal, knowing how intelligent Ian is, managed to get him into a high school world history course that is designed as a 'study at your own pace' class. Most students finish it just before the end of the semester.

He finished it today. It has been two weeks.
Last edited by Blackhawk on Thu Aug 20, 2015 3:47 pm, edited 1 time in total.
(˙pǝsɹǝʌǝɹ uǝǝq sɐɥ ʎʇıʌɐɹƃ ʃɐuosɹǝd ʎW)
El Guapo

Post by El Guapo »

So he learned all of world history in two weeks?
Black Lives Matter.
Jeff V

Post by Jeff V »

El Guapo wrote:So he learned all of world history in two weeks?
It's a geologically short story. Ends with a whimper.
Black Lives Matter
Blackhawk

Post by Blackhawk »

El Guapo wrote:So he learned all of world history in two weeks?
All that the semester course had to teach, yes.
El Guapo

Post by El Guapo »

Seriously though, that's awesome. Well done!
Black Lives Matter.
Blackhawk

Post by Blackhawk »

Thanks. The principal called for a special meeting next week in order to figure out what to do with him.
Isgrimnur

Post by Isgrimnur »

I haven't done more than a passing glance, but k12.com might be worth researching.
LordMortis

Post by LordMortis »

El Guapo wrote:
paulbaxter wrote:I learned something important from my kids today. Dragons have to hold in their farts so they have enough methane to breathe fire.
I mean, that's like science 101.
Such an under rated movie

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=7v6J6TrzgFI
Jeff V

Post by Jeff V »

Blackhawk wrote:Thanks. The principal called for a special meeting next week in order to figure out what to do with him.
When this happened to me in 8th grade English class (they let a group of us go at our own pace and we ripped through the curriculum in a few weeks), the teacher took it upon herself to find something meaningful and challenging for us to do. Not only did this earn her my esteem as best teacher in the school, but she had also made an impression on Jim Peterik (Ides of March, .38 Special, Survivor), who came to visit and perform for her class one day.
Black Lives Matter
Isgrimnur

Post by Isgrimnur »

Isgrimnur wrote:I haven't done more than a passing glance, but k12.com might be worth researching.
Looks like it's an online charter school setup, which would take him out of regular classes, putting more requirements on parental involvement.
Blackhawk

Post by Blackhawk »

Isgrimnur wrote:
Isgrimnur wrote:I haven't done more than a passing glance, but k12.com might be worth researching.
Looks like it's an online charter school setup, which would take him out of regular classes, putting more requirements on parental involvement.
Yeah, which might be academically beneficial, but it would be harmful overall. He's still a functioning autistic (PDD/NOS), and needs to be around other kids. His intellectual development may be off the charts, but his social development is still a major weak spot.
El Guapo

Post by El Guapo »

Maybe Ian is being recruited for Battle School.
Black Lives Matter.
Jaymann

Post by Jaymann »

My son couldn't beat King Koopa without my help. Now he is starting a kickstarter for his own video game.
Jaymann
]==(:::::::::::::>
Black Lives Matter
DD*

Post by DD* »

Enlarge Image

Bringing home the hardware! 2015 Motown Cup champions, and they got to play at Joe Louis arena, where they smoked a team from Toronto 7-0. This was less than 24 hours after the Wings smacked the Leafs 4-0 on the same ice. :)
Are you a prostitute Rip? Because you blow the margins more than a $5 hooker. -rshetts2

Much like bravery is acting in spite of fear, being a functioning adult is acting responsibly in the face of temptation. -Isg
LawBeefaroni
Forum Moderator

Post by LawBeefaroni »

DD* wrote:Enlarge Image

Bringing home the hardware! 2015 Motown Cup champions, and they got to play at Joe Louis arena, where they smoked a team from Toronto 7-0. This was less than 24 hours after the Wings smacked the Leafs 4-0 on the same ice. :)
Congrats to them, that's excellent! And way to rep DET.
" Hey OP, listen to my advice alright." -Tha General
"No scientific discovery is named after its original discoverer." -Stigler's Law of Eponymy, discovered by Robert K. Merton

MYT
DD*

Post by DD* »

My daughter's hockey team is hosting a charity game benefiting disabled vets, and her coach was on local TV today to talk about it.

Jaymann

Post by Jaymann »

Overheard my 6 year old granddaughter in her bedroom singing the Beatles Help with accurate lyrics.
Jaymann
Black Lives Matter
Holman

Post by Holman »

My youngest turned 15 today. He loves to cook, and one of his birthday requests was to get to prepare high-quality rib eye steak for the family.

We handed him two+ pounds (about $45!) of beautiful high-quality beef and he took it from there, marinating and then pan-searing it to perfection. It was crisp and tight on the outside but buttery and rare inside. Every bite was perfect.

This was the first time he'd ever made steak, and it was one of the best family meals we've had in years.
Much prefer my Nazis Nuremberged.
hentzau

Post by hentzau »

Don’t think I mentioned it, but my youngest earned his Eagle rank in Scouts BSA last December. Very challenging to finish off in the heart of the Covid lockdown. We finally get to have his Court of Honor in a couple weeks.
“We can never allow Murania to become desecrated by the presence of surface people. Our lives are serene, our minds are superior, our accomplishments greater. Gene Autry must be captured!!!” - Queen Tika, The Phantom Empire
Zarathud

Post by Zarathud »

Getting into your non-neighborhood Chicago Public Junior/High School is like competing for college. It’s even harder with medical needs and when you’ve decided to live in an affordable part of town with an underperforming neighborhood school. Both my 12 and 14 year old daughters made it into the middle and high school programs at Lane Tech, an excellent and diverse (but massive) school. It’s going to make life so much easier.
"If the facts don't fit the theory, change the facts." - Albert Einstein
"I don't stand by anything." - Trump
“Bad men need nothing more to compass their ends, than that good men should look on and do nothing.” - John Stuart Mill, Inaugural Address Delivered to the University of St Andrews, 2/1/1867
“It is the impractical things in this tumultuous hell-scape of a world that matter most. A book, a name, chicken soup. They help us remember that, even in our darkest hour, life is still to be savored.” - Poe, Altered Carbon
Jeff V

Post by Jeff V »

hentzau wrote: Thu Jun 10, 2021 10:01 pm Don’t think I mentioned it, but my youngest earned his Eagle rank in Scouts BSA last December. Very challenging to finish off in the heart of the Covid lockdown. We finally get to have his Court of Honor in a couple weeks.
I'm not a fan of BSA these days, but still, that's a hell of an accomplishment. Congrats to him!
Black Lives Matter
Holman

Post by Holman »

Yeah, Eagle is a LOT of work and dedication. Congrats!
Jeff V

Post by Jeff V »

Holman wrote: Fri Jun 11, 2021 4:52 pm Yeah, Eagle is a LOT of work and dedication. Congrats!
That's where I failed. I reached Star by 8th grade, but BSA was so decidedly uncool when I started high school that I couldn't even pretend to maintain interest. A new social life had to be developed out of whole cloth, and none of my peers were still involved.

Out of all my friends that followed, only my brother pushed his kids into boy scouts and was a leader himself, just like our dad was (hopefully without the alcohol-induced seizures that put my dad and financial-backer in the hospital while away at week-long summer camp).
Black Lives Matter
Holman

Post by Holman »

My early-1980s troop was mainly about playing flag football and AD&D. I never rose above Second Class before my family moved to a new city and I didn't continue.
Jaymann

Post by Jaymann »

My five year old grandson has conquered the Rubik's Cube. He is running around asking people to mess it up for him.
Jaymann
Black Lives Matter
LawBeefaroni
Forum Moderator

Post by LawBeefaroni »

Zarathud wrote: Thu Jun 10, 2021 10:42 pm Getting into your non-neighborhood Chicago Public Junior/High School is like competing for college. It’s even harder with medical needs and when you’ve decided to live in an affordable part of town with an underperforming neighborhood school. Both my 12 and 14 year old daughters made it into the middle and high school programs at Lane Tech, an excellent and diverse (but massive) school. It’s going to make life so much easier.
Congrats! My dad went to Lane. We're considering it for the kiddo but it's a few years out still.
" Hey OP, listen to my advice alright." -Tha General
"No scientific discovery is named after its original discoverer." -Stigler's Law of Eponymy, discovered by Robert K. Merton

MYT
ImLawBoy
Forum Admin

Post by ImLawBoy »

My dad (and my wife's dad) also went to Lane Tech.

Wait, is there anyone posting here who's dad didn't go to Lane Tech?
That's my purse! I don't know you!
Lorini

Post by Lorini »

My dad went to CalTech sorry :)

In other news, my kid's new show launched a couple of weeks ago on YouTube

He's the host, Todd Cameron.

What's funny is that his actual name is Todd Cameron Schlickbernd, I'm Jennifer Schlickbernd btw. So when he was born, we wanted to give him a way to get rid of the ridiculous last name but still keep his name. Cameron is a last name in the US, so it was really funny to both me and his Dad when he did exactly what we had thought he might want to do.
Black Lives Matter
Madmarcus

Post by Madmarcus »

Can I still brag on a 25 year old "kid"?

My daughter landed a great job at a startup earlier this year. Now the startup has been acquired by a bigger fish and the job looks even better. She worked hard on both making herself employable and hustling to find the job. I'm glad to see things work out well for her.
Jaymann

Post by Jaymann »

Lorini wrote: Tue Jun 22, 2021 12:31 pm My dad went to CalTech sorry :)

In other news, my kid's new show launched a couple of weeks ago on YouTube

He's the host, Todd Cameron.

What's funny is that his actual name is Todd Cameron Schlickbernd, I'm Jennifer Schlickbernd btw. So when he was born, we wanted to give him a way to get rid of the ridiculous last name but still keep his name. Cameron is a last name in the US, so it was really funny to both me and his Dad when he did exactly what we had thought he might want to do.
Your son is very well spoken. Hope this leads to big things for him.
Jaymann
Black Lives Matter
Carpet_pissr

Post by Carpet_pissr »

My 10 year old beat me at chess last night.

That is all.

:wub: and :oops: and :horse:
Jeff V

Post by Jeff V »

Bragging that you're not smarter than a 5th grader? :P

Conversation with my 4 year old daughter the other day.

Her: "Daddy, why don't we have to wear masks?"
Me: "Mommy and daddy are vaccinated and it is not required anymore."
Her: "What about kids daddy? When will we get vaccinated?"

There was hope in her voice that the answer would be soon, but also disappointment, as if nobody is thinking about the kids.
Black Lives Matter