Is there a word for this?

Everything else!

Moderators: Bakhtosh, EvilHomer3k

Anonymous Bosch

Re: Is there a word for this?

Post by Anonymous Bosch »

Holman wrote: Sat May 08, 2021 1:05 pm I feel like I'm taking crazy pills.

A tote bag is a tote bag because you use to carry stuff around (e.g. groceries and crazy pills).

A storage bin can't be a tote because you tote it so rarely. It stores things in the garage or the basement until you forget you own them. Bins are way too unwieldy for regular toting.

The only bin used for regular toting fills up with garbage all week, and even then its tote range is just to the curb.
Speaking as a British expat this, by far, seems the most coherent interpretation. :handgestures-thumbup:
"There is only one basic human right, the right to do as you damn well please. And with it comes the only basic human duty, the duty to take the consequences." — P. J. O'Rourke
Jaymann

Post by Jaymann »

I would not even consider an alternate explanation.
Jaymann
]==(:::::::::::::>
Black Lives Matter
Sudy

Post by Sudy »

Holman wrote: Sat May 08, 2021 1:05 pm A storage bin can't be a tote because you tote it so rarely. It stores things in the garage or the basement until you forget you own them. Bins are way too unwieldy for regular toting.
Yes, but... they have handles. Boxes aren't "not for moving" because we move them so rarely. No, we don't call it a "moving box", but if I did you'd have some idea of what I meant.

I presume their being easier to move is one of the original design intentions.

Storage tote and tote bag may derive "tote" from the same thing, but they have somewhat diverged in meaning and usage. They can both be tote things.

I saw a commercial on late night TV. It said, "Forget everything you know about slipcovers." So I did. And it was a load off my mind. Then the commercial tried to sell me slipcovers, and I didn't know what the hell they were. -- Mitch Hedberg
Rumpy

Post by Rumpy »

FWIW, I've never heard the term 'storage tote' up here, Sudy, and I'm honestly not all that far from you. It's all storage bin here.
PC:
Ryzen 5 3600
32GB RAM
2x1TB NVMe Drives
GTX 1660 Ti
AWS260

Post by AWS260 »

I've never heard anyone call this object a "tote" before, growing up in Illinois or in my 20+ years in New York.
Zarathud

Post by Zarathud »

Rubbermaid or bin.
"If the facts don't fit the theory, change the facts." - Albert Einstein
"I don't stand by anything." - Trump
“Bad men need nothing more to compass their ends, than that good men should look on and do nothing.” - John Stuart Mill, Inaugural Address Delivered to the University of St Andrews, 2/1/1867
“It is the impractical things in this tumultuous hell-scape of a world that matter most. A book, a name, chicken soup. They help us remember that, even in our darkest hour, life is still to be savored.” - Poe, Altered Carbon
Sudy

Post by Sudy »

Rumpy wrote: Sat May 08, 2021 3:32 pm FWIW, I've never heard the term 'storage tote' up here, Sudy, and I'm honestly not all that far from you.
It must be all that nickel dust you've inhaled....

I saw a commercial on late night TV. It said, "Forget everything you know about slipcovers." So I did. And it was a load off my mind. Then the commercial tried to sell me slipcovers, and I didn't know what the hell they were. -- Mitch Hedberg
Jaymon

Post by Jaymon »

the big plastic boxes are tote bins
the floppy sacks are tote bags

sometimes people will shorten one or the other to just tote, depending on context.
but they are separate things.
Bunnies like beer because its made from hops.
Jaymon

Post by Jaymon »

Also

Bunnies like beer because its made from hops.
ImLawBoy
Forum Admin

Post by ImLawBoy »

I have been known to shout, "Tote life!" upon getting a new tote bag.
That's my purse! I don't know you!
LordMortis

Post by LordMortis »

I feel awkward for knowing what ILB was responding to before scrolling up and seeing what he was responding to and for having the same reaction as Jaymon when the topic first came up.

I will say that since the pandemic, rather than having the Cartoon Network on whenever I am home, I have largely switched over CNBC in the background and then streaming (cartoons) at night. In another few months I'll be out of dubbed One Piece episodes to watch.
ImLawBoy
Forum Admin

Post by ImLawBoy »

At least I can make the plausible claim that I only about it due to having kids . . . .
That's my purse! I don't know you!
Sudy

Post by Sudy »

LordMortis wrote: Mon May 10, 2021 10:13 am In another few months I'll be out of dubbed One Piece episodes to watch.
But aren't there 9,000 episodes of that?

LordMortis

Post by LordMortis »

Sudy wrote: Mon May 10, 2021 10:21 am
LordMortis wrote: Mon May 10, 2021 10:13 am In another few months I'll be out of dubbed One Piece episodes to watch.
But aren't there 9,000 episodes of that?
I have about 700 dubbed episodes available to me, I think. I don't have the presence of mind watch subbed. I can't watch and read and comprehend what I am reading at the same time. Evenings with the pandemic and nothing else that I really want to watch has me about 500 episodes in so far.