Running

Everything else!

Moderators: Bakhtosh, EvilHomer3k

EvilHomer3k
Forum Moderator

Re: Running

Post by EvilHomer3k »

Yeah, a new pair of shoes always feels so nice to run in. Then you run in the old ones and you wonder how you ever got more than a mile in them.

I just tried a pair of Hoka's but I"m sending them back. Not because of the cushion but because the toe box is too narrow and the heel is too wide. Sticking with NB 1080s for now.
That sound of the spoon scraping over the can ribbing as you corral the last ravioli or two is the signal that a great treat is coming. It's the washboard solo in God's own
bluegrass band of comfort food. - LawBeefaroni
JCC

Post by JCC »

I basically have to buy new running shoes every other month now. (And I primarily walk in them.) In April I did > 204 miles.
Black Lives Matter

"You know, the very powerful and the very stupid have one thing in common: they don't alter their views to fit the facts; they alter the facts to fit their views." - The 4th Doctor
Skinypupy

Post by Skinypupy »

JCC wrote: Mon May 03, 2021 6:53 pm In April I did > 204 miles.
:shock:

I can’t even imagine running that much in a single month.
When darkness veils the world, four Warriors of Light shall come.
Jeff V

Post by Jeff V »

I did 218 miles in April. Walking is not hard.
Black Lives Matter
coopasonic

Post by coopasonic »

Jeff V wrote: Tue May 04, 2021 8:30 am I did 218 miles in April. Walking is not hard.
Not hard, but time consuming. I get 20-25 miles a month... running, no, just the daily distance I cover in my work days, walking to the bathroom and kitchen. My house is pretty big and the kitchen has got to be close to 50 steps away from where I work!

Just checked, 54 steps round trip and I got no credit for the stairs. Damn phone!
-Coop
Black Lives Matter
Skinypupy

Post by Skinypupy »

coopasonic wrote: Tue May 04, 2021 11:59 am
Jeff V wrote: Tue May 04, 2021 8:30 am I did 218 miles in April. Walking is not hard.
Not hard, but time consuming.
Yeah, I was thinking mostly about the time commitment. 218 miles is walking 7+ miles every day, which at a normal walking pace would be 90+ minutes. There are precious few days in my life where I could simply up and leave work, kids, etc. for 90 minutes to go walk...much less doing it every day.

Hell, just finding a time I can get out of the house for 30 minutes for a run is usually a challenge.
Zaxxon
Forum Moderator

Post by Zaxxon »

Skinypupy wrote: Tue May 04, 2021 12:35 pm
Yeah, I was thinking mostly about the time commitment. 218 miles is walking 7+ miles every day, which at a normal walking pace would be 90+ minutes. There are precious few days in my life where I could simply up and leave work, kids, etc. for 90 minutes to go walk...much less doing it every day.

Hell, just finding a time I can get out of the house for 30 minutes for a run is usually a challenge.
Treadmill desk is the key for me. And even with that I'm at about 414 miles walked in 2021 so far. Toss in another 182 running.
coopasonic

Post by coopasonic »

That makes me wonder if I could find a stable way to mount my laptop on my treadmill...
-Coop
Black Lives Matter
Skinypupy

Post by Skinypupy »

Zaxxon wrote: Tue May 04, 2021 12:38 pm

Treadmill desk is the key for me. And even with that I'm at about 414 miles walked in 2021 so far. Toss in another 182 running.
Ah...I had forgotten those exist.
Jeff V

Post by Jeff V »

100 minutes on the treadmill can be a bit of a bore, but listening to audiobooks helps. My hamster wheel is right behind my basement desk, which has a large monitor (so I could watch video content at the same time), but often I just hop off every 10 minutes or so, take a turn or two of Civ, and hop back on.

When the weather is nice, I'll do a couple of long walks, generally an hour in the morning and 30 minutes with the dog later in the day, sometimes multiple dog walks. Did not do long walk (yet) today, weather isn't nice but did a a nature walk with my daughter (and walked the dog at the same time), so I still have 60 minutes or so left to do. Wife works this afternoon, so if there's going to be anymore outdoor walks, I'll have to talk her into coming with me.
Black Lives Matter
JCC

Post by JCC »

Still hard for me. I walked 28 out of 30 days in April. (So much for April Showers - it was pretty bone dry.) I only run a little bit so the overwhelming majority of those miles were walked. I do a minimum of 7 miles per day.
Black Lives Matter

"You know, the very powerful and the very stupid have one thing in common: they don't alter their views to fit the facts; they alter the facts to fit their views." - The 4th Doctor
EvilHomer3k
Forum Moderator

Post by EvilHomer3k »

Zaxxon wrote: Tue May 04, 2021 12:38 pm

I have a spin bike I take the handlebars off of and work some from there. Meetings are much better now. Thought about a treadmill desk as well. How do you like it? Is it hard to get work done?
That sound of the spoon scraping over the can ribbing as you corral the last ravioli or two is the signal that a great treat is coming. It's the washboard solo in God's own
Zaxxon
Forum Moderator

Post by Zaxxon »

I have the Lifespan TR1200DT (although a 9-year old version so it's not as fancy as the current--desk height is a manual adjustment on mine, for example). It was also a lot cheaper back in 2012, pre-pandemic times. I like it. The desk is large enough to hold my laptop, its dock, a 22" display, small desktop scanner, keyboard/mouse, and some room for papers.

The treadmill controls are integrated with the desk. Motor only goes up to 4 MPH, but realistically I keep it to 3.0 or lower (usually 2.6-2.8) so that I can actually read the screen well and type/mouse without any trouble.

I typically walk for an hour in the morning and another hour in the afternoon, ending the day around 5-6 miles in. Most days I'll go out for a run at lunch, too. I know some people walk at a slower pace all day, but I find I get creaks in these old bones if I do that.
Skinypupy

Post by Skinypupy »

First run under 11:00/mile today (came in at 10:52). :D

I’ve noticed some increasing pain in my neck and shoulder on the right side. Looked into it a bit and realized how horrible my running posture has been. I had a habit of always looking down, and swinging my arms across my body. Made some adjustments over the past week, and it’s gotten significantly better. I’ve felt a bit better in the breathing department as well, although that’s being offset by the allergies.
JCC

Post by JCC »

Wednesday is my typical run day and I did 2.5 miles (I always walk the first mile before running.) Sadly, while I felt completely fine running, about a mile after I resumed walking I noticed that my back was hurting. It was sending stabbing pain down my right leg so I was walking a very slow (for me) last 3 miles home. (About 15 minute miles.) Anyway, took a valium I had left over from a year ago and napped. But, I am definitely injured and will have to rest for a while. As my old man likes to say, "Getting old, ain't for sissies." Going to have to rest for 1 to ???? days which will drive me crazy.
Black Lives Matter

Jeff V

Post by Jeff V »

I hear you JCC. I'm still bouncing back fairly quickly (plantar fasciitis only sidelined me 3 days) but pains tend to crop up out of nowhere. I frequently develop painful calluses on my heels or tips of my toes, I have some expensive cream that is effective over the course of a couple of days and if I treated my feet daily I probably wouldn't have the problem at all.

Yesterday I was out for a long walk...it was cool and cloudy, but no wind. Half way through the walk it occurred to me I should have gone biking.. All of the warm days this spring have been paired with near-hurricane force winds, so I've only had the bike out once.
Black Lives Matter
YellowKing

Post by YellowKing »

Skinypupy wrote:I’ve noticed some increasing pain in my neck and shoulder on the right side. Looked into it a bit and realized how horrible my running posture has been. I had a habit of always looking down, and swinging my arms across my body.
I feel you, and that's why I loved that coach-led 5K plan I've been doing. That was the first plan I'd done where such an importance was placed on posture, and it's made me constantly aware of it when running. I've seen a big difference in my endurance keeping my head up and relaxing my arms and shoulders.
JCC

Post by JCC »

Nothing worse than waking up and not feeling any better. I am thinking this is going to be a week or more of no activity. I may go crazy - or crazier.
Black Lives Matter

EvilHomer3k
Forum Moderator

Post by EvilHomer3k »

Well good luck. Hopefully it doesn't last that long. Stretching may help. There are also specific yoga videos for runners and back pain which may help too.
Xmann

Post by Xmann »

I just started a couch to 5k program this week. My lungs feel good but boy, I've got a long way to go.
gf.me/u/zhnmhs
JCC

Post by JCC »

EvilHomer3k wrote: Fri May 07, 2021 11:17 am Well good luck. Hopefully it doesn't last that long. Stretching may help. There are also specific yoga videos for runners and back pain which may help too.
Thanks! I will look for them and give them a try tomorrow. The good news is today the pain is slightly reduced, so feel a little more optimistic.
Black Lives Matter

Skinypupy

Post by Skinypupy »

Xmann wrote: Fri May 07, 2021 11:39 am I just started a couch to 5k program this week. My lungs feel good but boy, I've got a long way to go.
That’s amazing Xmann!
YellowKing

Post by YellowKing »

The Couch to 5Ks really do work if you stick with them and stay consistent. I've been through various versions of it 3 or 4 times since I started running 6 or 7 years ago, and I was always running the full 3 by the end of them. The trick for me is continuing to run after finishing the program, which is why I want to jump right into the 10K training as soon as I finish this one.
disarm

Post by disarm »

YellowKing wrote:The Couch to 5Ks really do work if you stick with them and stay consistent. I've been through various versions of it 3 or 4 times since I started running 6 or 7 years ago, and I was always running the full 3 by the end of them. The trick for me is continuing to run after finishing the program, which is why I want to jump right into the 10K training as soon as I finish this one.
I did 5k-10k-half marathon a few years back...started as a total non-runner in January, and made it up to half-marathon by mid-October. It wasn't easy pushing from one program directly into the next, but it is a steady, surprisingly manageable progression. You just have to keep your focus on small milestones that always feel reachable along the way, then move the goal farther each time you hit your mark. If you think of it as going from zero to 13 miles, it's hard to imagine ever making it there, but you get to a point where adding another half-mile or mile to your longest distance every week or two doesn't seem so bad. What's another 5-10 minutes when you've already run for an hour? Find a good program, work toward a series of smaller goals, and you'll hit your target distance before you know it.

You might also consider joining a local running program to help with accountability. I did training programs through my local Fleet Feet, learned a lot about running, and made some good friends along the way. We did runs during the week by ourselves, but did our weekly long runs together on the weekends. It was motivating to be surrounded by others going through the same process...and I always put in my work during the week so I wouldn't be the guy dragging ass at the back of the group Image
YellowKing

Post by YellowKing »

I completed my first non-stop 25-minute run since this time last year. 2 miles and some change at an 11:30 pace. I was a little scared of this one so I took an extra rest day to prep, but it wasn't bad at all despite an 80 degree day. I felt like I could have easily tacked on another 5 minutes, and probably could have done the full 3.1 if I pushed it.

Only three runs left in the program. The next one goes back to intervals, then I believe another 25-30 minute with the full 5K on the last day. Before today I'd have told you I wasn't ready, but it's amazing how that consistency builds your stamina without you even realizing it.
Xmann

Post by Xmann »

Skinypupy wrote:
Xmann wrote: Fri May 07, 2021 11:39 am I just started a couch to 5k program this week. My lungs feel good but boy, I've got a long way to go.
That’s amazing Xmann!
gf.me/u/zhnmhs
raydude

Post by raydude »

YellowKing wrote: Mon May 10, 2021 6:21 pm I completed my first non-stop 25-minute run since this time last year. 2 miles and some change at an 11:30 pace. I was a little scared of this one so I took an extra rest day to prep, but it wasn't bad at all despite an 80 degree day. I felt like I could have easily tacked on another 5 minutes, and probably could have done the full 3.1 if I pushed it.

Only three runs left in the program. The next one goes back to intervals, then I believe another 25-30 minute with the full 5K on the last day. Before today I'd have told you I wasn't ready, but it's amazing how that consistency builds your stamina without you even realizing it.
You have inspired me to finally get out of my comfort zone where I run the first mile non-stop then rest for 15-30 seconds before starting the second mile. Today marks the second time that I've run two full miles non-stop, with a pace of 13:00. I've previously been stopping because I get wheezy when I initially start running which brings back memories of my childhood asthma. Then after my first mile, I catch my breath and the wheezing goes away. What I'm slowly starting to realize is that the wheezing goes away even when I don't stop between miles 1 and 2.

I still need a breather at some point between miles 2 and 3 but I don't mind. At this point, I'm working on increasing my mileage to 4 then 5 miles, and if it takes running/walking then so be it.
YellowKing

Post by YellowKing »

That's awesome raydude! I've found (in the times I have gotten up to running more than a mile), that it takes me the full first mile just to warm up completely and not feel like total crap. I've learned to just power through knowing how I feel the first mile is not necessarily indicative of how the run is going to go.
raydude wrote:I still need a breather at some point between miles 2 and 3 but I don't mind. At this point, I'm working on increasing my mileage to 4 then 5 miles, and if it takes running/walking then so be it.
Absolutely nothing wrong with that. I have a friend who walk-ran a couple of half-marathons with her 13-year old daughter. While she's in decent shape, she's not an obsessive runner. In my mind I had all kinds of excuses about how I could never do a race that long, and here she is just going out and doing it for fun. She really inspired me to sign up for one at some point. Mileage is mileage - whether you walk or run, you're still doing more than the guy sitting on his couch.
Skinypupy

Post by Skinypupy »

raydude wrote: Thu May 13, 2021 9:36 am You have inspired me to finally get out of my comfort zone where I run the first mile non-stop then rest for 15-30 seconds before starting the second mile. Today marks the second time that I've run two full miles non-stop, with a pace of 13:00. I've previously been stopping because I get wheezy when I initially start running which brings back memories of my childhood asthma. Then after my first mile, I catch my breath and the wheezing goes away. What I'm slowly starting to realize is that the wheezing goes away even when I don't stop between miles 1 and 2.

I still need a breather at some point between miles 2 and 3 but I don't mind. At this point, I'm working on increasing my mileage to 4 then 5 miles, and if it takes running/walking then so be it.
I'm a "wheezer" as well, and get out of breath very easily. That's always been my biggest struggle with running.

I've got a couple of big hills on my route, and I usually end up taking 30 second breather and walk up those. Helps me to finish the rest of my run, and I still usually finish with a decent pace, even with the walks.
JCC

Post by JCC »

Me wretched back is still hurting so it's been 8 days since I last exercised. Going to see my doctor tomorrow. Very frustrated.
Black Lives Matter

EvilHomer3k
Forum Moderator

Post by EvilHomer3k »

That sucks JCC. Hopefully the doctor can find something to help you out.
JCC

Post by JCC »

Thanks! She prescribed some muscle relaxers for the pain and I will start roids tomorrow.
Black Lives Matter

EvilHomer3k
Forum Moderator

Post by EvilHomer3k »

Damn. I went for a bike ride at lunch Thursday and crashed. Messed up my thumb and toe. Hopefully not broken. Wife and I have several runs planned and this would put a damper on them. :cry:
Skinypupy

Post by Skinypupy »

I hit three milestones this morning:

1. Ran my first 5K equivalent. A little slower than I would have liked at 36:13 (that extra 1/2 mile is a bitch), but at least that gives me a baseline to improve on.
2. I've run 100 total miles since I started on Feb 24. I know that's not a ton comparatively, but it feels good to get over that hump.
3. Weighed in under 220 (219.8) for the first time since the twins were born. They turn 8 in a couple weeks.

Progress, slow but steady. :)
EvilHomer3k wrote: Sat May 15, 2021 4:43 pm Damn. I went for a bike ride at lunch Thursday and crashed. Messed up my thumb and toe. Hopefully not broken. Wife and I have several runs planned and this would put a damper on them. :cry:
Damn, hope you're ok. That sounds painful.
JCC

Post by JCC »

Fantastic accomplishment Skinypupy! Despite the fact that you just ruined X-mas (readers, see the Mass Effect thread if you are reading this and don't know what the hell I am talking about), I am happy for you and applaud your progress.
Black Lives Matter

YellowKing

Post by YellowKing »

I did my first 30 minute non-stop run today in awhile. I came up a bit short distance-wise (2.5 miles), but I've never been a speed demon. I did a sub-30 5K once in my life just to say I did it, and ever since then I've been perfectly content to run one in 36:00. That's the official end of the audio-led training (thanks once again "Coach Erin" for getting me back in decent shape cardio-wise). Now I just need to keep the consistency going.

I will start 10K training eventually, but I'd like to get to a point where I'm running the 5K consistently and without too much difficulty. I know the last time I did a 10K train they pretty much started you at the 5K baseline, and I don't want to be struggling right out of the gate.
gilraen

Post by gilraen »

I finally built up to run 30 minutes on the treadmill at 4.5mph (13:20 mile). I haven't been able to do that in at least 3 years, but I always tried to bump it up to at least 5mph, and I always just had to switch to walking after 15 minutes max. So I went back to 4.5, and after I do it a few more times, I'll go to 4.6 and just keep increasing it at .1 increments after ~5 runs each.
Isgrimnur

Post by Isgrimnur »

YellowKing wrote: Wed May 19, 2021 1:04 pmCoach Erin
Erin Bailey

It's almost as if people are the problem.
EvilHomer3k
Forum Moderator

Post by EvilHomer3k »

gilraen wrote: Wed May 19, 2021 1:29 pm I finally built up to run 30 minutes on the treadmill at 4.5mph (13:20 mile). I haven't been able to do that in at least 3 years, but I always tried to bump it up to at least 5mph, and I always just had to switch to walking after 15 minutes max. So I went back to 4.5, and after I do it a few more times, I'll go to 4.6 and just keep increasing it at .1 increments after ~5 runs each.
Congratulations! 4.5 to 5 is a pretty big jump actually. I think you have a good plan.
YellowKing wrote: Wed May 19, 2021 1:04 pm I did my first 30 minute non-stop run today in awhile. I came up a bit short distance-wise (2.5 miles), but I've never been a speed demon. I did a sub-30 5K once in my life just to say I did it, and ever since then I've been perfectly content to run one in 36:00. That's the official end of the audio-led training (thanks once again "Coach Erin" for getting me back in decent shape cardio-wise). Now I just need to keep the consistency going.

I will start 10K training eventually, but I'd like to get to a point where I'm running the 5K consistently and without too much difficulty. I know the last time I did a 10K train they pretty much started you at the 5K baseline, and I don't want to be struggling right out of the gate.
10k is probably my favorite distance. Keep at it.

I think my toe is okay. Going to try running tonight.
EvilHomer3k
Forum Moderator

Post by EvilHomer3k »

Went running. Mostly good. Some pain today but not much. Should be fine as long as I don't overdo it.