Random randomness

Everything else!

Moderators: Bakhtosh, EvilHomer3k

Holman

Re: Random randomness

Post by Holman »

Blackhawk wrote: Sat Jun 12, 2021 8:53 am Quick question.. .

While walking along in desert sand, you suddenly look down and see a tortoise crawling toward you. You reach down and flip it over onto its back. The tortoise lies there, its belly baking in the hot sun, beating its legs, trying to turn itself over, but it cannot do so without your help. You are not helping. Why?
What's a tortoise?
Much prefer my Nazis Nuremberged.
Max Peck

Post by Max Peck »

I use a stainless steel vacuum bottle. When I'm at home, I just leave the lid off and use it as an oversized insulated tumbler. When I go out, I put the lid on and carry it in my pack.

https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B01DZQSWQ4
"What? What? What?" -- The 14th Doctor

It's not enough to be a good player... you also have to play well. -- Siegbert Tarrasch
Blackhawk

Post by Blackhawk »

Daehawk wrote: Sat Jun 12, 2021 12:31 pm Anyone know of a good insulated glass for soda or other liquids? I like to keep a coke at my pc to sip on and it gets hot too quick even with ac. I dont like ice in my soda but when I have used it I either end up drinking the melted ice on top first or I use a straw and end up knocking it over as I reach for something.
Also consider stainless steel ice cubes. They're just as cold, they don't melt, and they don't float.
(˙pǝsɹǝʌǝɹ uǝǝq sɐɥ ʎʇıʌɐɹƃ ʃɐuosɹǝd ʎW)
Isgrimnur

Post by Isgrimnur »

RIP teeth.
It's almost as if people are the problem.
Blackhawk

Post by Blackhawk »

I've never had an issue with them. But then again, I don't generally have my lips open when drinking the last dregs from a cup.
dbt1949

Post by dbt1949 »

Saw on the news today that all of Oklahoma's prison inmates are going to be getting tablets.
I'm not sure how I feel about that.
Ye Olde Farte
Double Ought Forty
aka dbt1949
stimpy

Post by stimpy »

dbt1949 wrote: Mon Jun 14, 2021 8:26 am Saw on the news today that all of Oklahoma's prison inmates are going to be getting tablets.
I'm not sure how I feel about that.
Like committing a crime so you can get a free tablet?
He/Him/His/Porcupine
Sudy

Post by Sudy »

We talking like Charlton Heston/Mount Sinai? Couldn't they hurt someone with those?

I saw a commercial on late night TV. It said, "Forget everything you know about slipcovers." So I did. And it was a load off my mind. Then the commercial tried to sell me slipcovers, and I didn't know what the hell they were. -- Mitch Hedberg
Holman

Post by Holman »

** FRAUD ALERT **

Today I got a collection notice in the (paper) mail from "Allied International Collection Corp." It claims that I have a debt of $697 owed to creditor "EBAY" and that I need to pay up or legal action will be taken etc etc. Nothing in the letter suggests that they know my eBay identity or even my email, just my name and street address.

In reality I have no balance at eBay, and a web search reveals that "AIC Corp" has been running this scam for a few years now. It is a real collection agency, however, and the physical/web addresses on the letter match those listed with the Better Business Bureau.

Unfortunately, eBay's website makes it very difficult to contact them. Their customer support system is a nested set of options that never gets to "Report Fraud" (except wrt to buyers/sellers) or even a generic "Other." Eventually I learned that you can forward scam emails or scanned letters to spoof@ebay.com, but the automatic reply I received doesn't give me confidence.

What further action should I take?
Last edited by Holman on Mon Jun 14, 2021 5:39 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Isgrimnur

Post by Isgrimnur »

Daehawk

Post by Daehawk »

I got some scam in the mail from a place claiming that my citibank home warranty has run out.

1. Im not stupid
2. Theres no such thing as a home warranty
3. I have home insurance.

Good try adding Citibanks name to it. I opened it near the shredder as I know these things before I open them. Home warranty hehehe. They do give me a giggle sometimes. Also the home being 80 years old makes me go "Oh no when did this happen??" hahaha.
--------------------------------------------
I am Dyslexic of Borg, prepare to have your ass laminated.
I guess Ray Butts has ate his last pancake.
http://steamcommunity.com/id/daehawk
"Has high IQ. Refuses to apply it"
stessier

Post by stessier »

Holman wrote: Mon Jun 14, 2021 5:31 pm ** FRAUD ALERT **

Today I got a collection notice in the (paper) mail from "Allied International Collection Corp." It claims that I have a debt of $697 owed to creditor "EBAY" and that I need to pay up or legal action will be taken etc etc. Nothing in the letter suggests that they know my eBay identity or even my email, just my name and street address.

In reality I have no balance at eBay, and a web search reveals that "AIC Corp" has been running this scam for a few years now. It is a real collection agency, however, and the physical/web addresses on the letter match those listed with the Better Business Bureau.

Unfortunately, eBay's website makes it very difficult to contact them. Their customer support system is a nested set of options that never gets to "Report Fraud" (except wrt to buyers/sellers) or even a generic "Other." Eventually I learned that you can forward scam emails or scanned letters to spoof@ebay.com, but the automatic reply I received doesn't give me confidence.

What further action should I take?
Forward to Mr Fed. If he's bored, we might get a multipart blog on him taking them down! :)
I require a reminder as to why raining arcane destruction is not an appropriate response to all of life's indignities. - Vaarsuvius
Global Steam Wishmaslist Tracking
Running____2014: 1300.55 miles____2015: 2036.13 miles____2016: 1012.75 miles____2017: 1105.82 miles____2018: 1318.91 miles__2019: 2000.00 miles
Isgrimnur

Post by Isgrimnur »

Daehawk wrote: Mon Jun 14, 2021 5:58 pm 2. Theres no such thing as a home warranty
Consumer Reports: What to Know About Buying a Home Warranty
Holman

Post by Holman »

I'm trying to figure out what my best option here (i.e. the scam I mentioned above) is.

The facts are these: I owe no money to eBay (verified just now). However, the collection agency is real, and their contact info on the letter matches public records.

Should I... ?

1) Ignore the letter entirely, knowing there is no basis of fact for the debt claim?

2) Write to the collection agency denying the claim and asking for proof of debt, as suggested by lawyerly websites dealing with such things?

3) Go straight to sicking the USPS on them?

Which of these options is safest for me and my credit rating?
Last edited by Holman on Mon Jun 14, 2021 7:13 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Blackhawk

Post by Blackhawk »

Have you checked your credit report lately?
Holman

Post by Holman »

Blackhawk wrote: Mon Jun 14, 2021 6:24 pm Have you checked your credit report lately?
Did it today. My credit score is excellent, so I assume the scam is just fishing.
Unagi

Post by Unagi »

Isgrimnur wrote: Mon Jun 14, 2021 6:19 pm
Daehawk wrote: Mon Jun 14, 2021 5:58 pm 2. Theres no such thing as a home warranty
lol
I think you meant:
Isgrimnur wrote: Mon Jun 14, 2021 6:19 pm
Daehawk wrote: Mon Jun 14, 2021 5:58 pm 1. Im not stupid
2. Theres no such thing as a home warranty
:D :lol: :wink:
Daehawk

Post by Daehawk »

Im food poisoned. Been throwing up for half an hour so not done yet. Poor little dog is freaked out. So sick. Im sure it was the teriyaki chicken from earlier. Got some thin sliced at the deli about 4 days ago. Hasn't bothered me before now. After I ate a handful earlier my fingers smelled strange. The entire pack now smells weird. I said to myself "I bet I puke later" YEP!

I have THE worst taste in my mouth I cant rinse out. I just hope Im about done. I have puked all night and dry heaved for 8 hours before. A bit ago I was feeling bloated and super full. Then I started sweating. Knew what was coming. Ugh.

EDIT: 45 minutes and Im still puking;. You dont want to know how the stuff is changing either. Also I can add diarrhea to the list and its a bad one of those too. So both ends are working well. Im surprised that stomach acid doesn't simply kill all this stuff off in the stomach. Drinking a little sip or two of water to help get it up.UGH. Feel awful and shaking all over. Ambulance passed...kinda wished it was for me lol.

EDIT2: Over an hour now and Im still visiting the sink and the toilet. I dont know how I have this much in me.

EDIT3: fuck me. Thought I was done. Its been an hour and a half since last stomach toss. Guess not. Did it again. Still feel I have some in me. Maybe it will pass the other way.
Daehawk

Post by Daehawk »

How long does a soda or ginger ale stay good? Ive got coca cola and water. But I found one of my wife's ginger ales in the fridge. Its in a glass bottle. Id say we bought it the end of 2018. I could really use that as Ive puked and crapped all evening. Im deathly sick but feeling a bit better. Im really thirsty but Im not drinking anything until tomorrow.

Id love to have that ginger ale but I dont want to instantly re food poison myself. Also thought about maybe making an electrolyte drink of some kind. Thinking some water, lemon juice, sugar and salt.
Madmarcus

Post by Madmarcus »

The ginger ale will not give you any food poisoning. It might be slightly flat though.
Last edited by Madmarcus on Tue Jun 15, 2021 10:30 am, edited 1 time in total.
Unagi

Post by Unagi »

Daehawk wrote: Mon Jun 14, 2021 11:48 pm How long does a soda or ginger ale stay good? Ive got coca cola and water. But I found one of my wife's ginger ales in the fridge. Its in a glass bottle. Id say we bought it the end of 2018. I could really use that as Ive puked and crapped all evening. Im deathly sick but feeling a bit better. Im really thirsty but Im not drinking anything until tomorrow.

Id love to have that ginger ale but I dont want to instantly re food poison myself. Also thought about maybe making an electrolyte drink of some kind. Thinking some water, lemon juice, sugar and salt.
Water and lemon juice.

And, omg don’t try and drink the ancient ginger ale.
Honestly. Cmon.
Daehawk

Post by Daehawk »

Ow my throat. Its so rough and sore. The acid really did a number to it. Im going to run over to the Speedway station by me in a bit and buy some Sprite and Ginger Ale and see if they stock any Pedialyte.

I had planned to mow tomorrow but now Im sure Ill have the energy or strength. Hope so its looking bad. Going to stick to drinks and crackers today I think.
Isgrimnur

Post by Isgrimnur »

Daehawk

Post by Daehawk »

They dont seem to carry anything like that around here. I saw a mountain dew blue one that had some ginger but dont want the wood ester right now...or brominated vegetable oil.

Got some sprite and canada dry. Im not sure canada dry even has ginger anymore but the taste helps.

Was looking at what the food bank gave me the other day. A loaf of out of date italian bread partially frozen, a thawing pack of bacon, and a box of soy milk. That soy alone would make me barf.

FRAK I forgot to check for pedialyte. Really wanted that. I can only have the unflavored as the rest has sucralose and asperflame potassium in it...they make my physically ill. HATE artificial sugar and anything that not just plan sugar.

Well not going back. Im tired now.
hitbyambulance

Post by hitbyambulance »

why does it take 24-48 hours for Century Link to reset a voice mail PIN
Daehawk

Post by Daehawk »

Well feeling much better. Ive drank a bottle of ginger ale over the day and ate 5 saltine crackers. Im a bit weak and still thirsty but thats improving. The back of my throat is really messed up though from that acid. I could probably eat and drink better but after that last night Im waiting until tomorrow to eat better or drink more at once. Ive started on my Sprite now.

Gotta mow and move some brush tomorrow so hope today stays good so i can do that tomorrow. Ive thrown away everything I ate yesterday. I cant be sure what got me so better safe than sorry. The only things I kept was a loaf of bread Id already ate half of and hadn't bothered me and the jar of mayo I just opened a couple days ago. I am tempted to dump it though and buy new. $3 isn't worth food poisoning.
Blackhawk

Post by Blackhawk »

Out of date bread won't make you sick - at least not unless it is moldy. Most foods just get a little stale when they cross the date line. A lot of others don't change at all - the manufacturer just prefers that you throw it out and buy a new one periodically rather than keeping one purchase for a long time. They make more money that way.

Meat and eggs will make you sick if they're genuinely bad. Bad dairy is more likely to just make you puke from the flavor than actual food poisoning, although that's a possibility, too.
Daehawk

Post by Daehawk »

Im still leaning to the thin sliced teriyaki chicken I got at the deli. I usually get cajun turkey but had to try something new. I got it last Thursday i think it was. Smell like teriyaki and tasted just like teriyaki. Was neat. But yesterday I grabed a few pinches of it..like big one...was hungry...and gobbled them down. It was a little slimy as I recall and didn't leave a teriyaki flavor in my mouth. I smelled of my hand and it had a weird smell. Not rotten or strong just not like it had smelled before. I actually thought oh great Ill probably be sick now.

turns out I was right. So pretty sure it was that. But Im not taking chances on $10 worth of groceries. That time I got poisoned SO bad on that hotdog I didn't eat another for 10 years. Needless to say I wont be going back to that food store for a good long time.
Holman

Post by Holman »

Holman wrote: Mon Jun 14, 2021 6:21 pm I'm trying to figure out what my best option here (i.e. the scam I mentioned above) is.

The facts are these: I owe no money to eBay (verified just now). However, the collection agency is real, and their contact info on the letter matches public records.

Should I... ?

1) Ignore the letter entirely, knowing there is no basis of fact for the debt claim?

2) Write to the collection agency denying the claim and asking for proof of debt, as suggested by lawyerly websites dealing with such things?

Reposting this before I go away for a couple of days. I'd love to have opinions about the best choice of action.

Thanks in advance!
Anonymous Bosch

Post by Anonymous Bosch »

Daehawk wrote: Tue Jun 15, 2021 7:34 pm Im still leaning to the thin sliced teriyaki chicken I got at the deli. I usually get cajun turkey but had to try something new. I got it last Thursday i think it was. Smell like teriyaki and tasted just like teriyaki. Was neat. But yesterday I grabed a few pinches of it..like big one...was hungry...and gobbled them down. It was a little slimy as I recall and didn't leave a teriyaki flavor in my mouth. I smelled of my hand and it had a weird smell. Not rotten or strong just not like it had smelled before. I actually thought oh great Ill probably be sick now.

turns out I was right. So pretty sure it was that. But Im not taking chances on $10 worth of groceries. That time I got poisoned SO bad on that hotdog I didn't eat another for 10 years. Needless to say I wont be going back to that food store for a good long time.
According to the FDA's Cold Food Storage Chart, refrigerated deli-sliced meats ought to be safe for 3 to 5 days. Of course, as Smoove will likely clarify in gruesome detail, that does not necessarily take into consideration precisely how sanitary the worker(s) and deli facility you purchased from were. So, it could well be that what you purchased was not stored correctly, or a worker neglected to properly sanitise their hands/gloves while they were, ahem, ...handling your meat.
Last edited by Anonymous Bosch on Tue Jun 15, 2021 9:31 pm, edited 1 time in total.
"There is only one basic human right, the right to do as you damn well please. And with it comes the only basic human duty, the duty to take the consequences." — P. J. O'Rourke
Sudy

Post by Sudy »

Holman wrote: Mon Jun 14, 2021 6:21 pm I'm trying to figure out what my best option here (i.e. the scam I mentioned above) is.

Should I... ?

Legally, I'm not sure. Practically, if you go with the 1) Ignore option, I'd be watching your credit reports like a hawk for the next while, just in case. 2) is a pain in the ass, but seems like the safest route. Me, I'm lazy and my credit is already in recovery mode so I'd probably just ignore it. :P

I saw a commercial on late night TV. It said, "Forget everything you know about slipcovers." So I did. And it was a load off my mind. Then the commercial tried to sell me slipcovers, and I didn't know what the hell they were. -- Mitch Hedberg
Holman

Post by Holman »

Sudy wrote: Tue Jun 15, 2021 8:33 pm Legally, I'm not sure. Practically, if you go with the 1) Ignore option, I'd be watching your credit reports like a hawk for the next while, just in case. 2) is a pain in the ass, but seems like the safest route. Me, I'm lazy and my credit is already in recovery mode so I'd probably just ignore it. :P
I'm thinking that (when I get back from taking the kid to camp) I'll write on paper to the collection agency (option 2 above) denying the claim and asking for proof of debt. This seems to be what anti-fraud sites advise, as it gives you a paper trail against further shenanigans.

A couple of pieces of advice I picked up:

1) Their letter came in the mail to my name and physical address, so I should respond only in kind. In other words, don't give them an email address or (especially) a phone number that they can associate with your case.

2) Even if you send a paper letter, DO NOT physically sign it. If you do, the most unscrupulous types can then copy your signature and use it for any number of faked documents. Just end a letter with your typed name.
gilraen

Post by gilraen »

You should probably send it by certified mail.

You can also submit a complaint against them on the BBB website. They seem pretty responsive to all recent complaints, providing quite a bit of detail.
Kraken

Post by Kraken »

Blackhawk wrote: Tue Jun 15, 2021 5:48 pm Out of date bread won't make you sick - at least not unless it is moldy. Most foods just get a little stale when they cross the date line. A lot of others don't change at all - the manufacturer just prefers that you throw it out and buy a new one periodically rather than keeping one purchase for a long time. They make more money that way.

Meat and eggs will make you sick if they're genuinely bad. Bad dairy is more likely to just make you puke from the flavor than actual food poisoning, although that's a possibility, too.
I'm convinced to throw away the pound of bacon in my fridge that's 3 months past its sell-by date. It's still vacuum-sealed and still looks fine, and it's probably OK if it passes the smell test when opened, and I REALLY hate throwing food away...but "probably" isn't worth it.
Daehawk

Post by Daehawk »

I fixed and ate a half a serving of quick oats a few hours back. Still feeling fine so guess its good now to eat more stuff tomorrow. Im thinking mashed potatoes. Im hungry right now but its late and to be safe as I can Im just going to go to bed hungry. Ive drank a ginger ale and a sprite. Probably open one of the other two I got too. Ill eat during the day tomorrow before I mow. Ill need some energy to weedeat this place.
Zarathud

Post by Zarathud »

We don’t have a thread for stupid stuff Daehawk eats?
"If the facts don't fit the theory, change the facts." - Albert Einstein
"I don't stand by anything." - Trump
“Bad men need nothing more to compass their ends, than that good men should look on and do nothing.” - John Stuart Mill, Inaugural Address Delivered to the University of St Andrews, 2/1/1867
“It is the impractical things in this tumultuous hell-scape of a world that matter most. A book, a name, chicken soup. They help us remember that, even in our darkest hour, life is still to be savored.” - Poe, Altered Carbon
dbt1949

Post by dbt1949 »

For my snack tonight I had Nilla wafers with milk chocolate frosting on them.
Ye Olde Farte
Double Ought Forty
aka dbt1949
Kraken

Post by Kraken »

Zarathud wrote: Tue Jun 15, 2021 10:42 pm We don’t have a thread for stupid stuff Daehawk eats?
I have wanted this for years, but I'm afraid to test the line between friendly teasing and ridicule. It will forever join "Things JeffV hates" in the annals of threads that weren't. Unless someone else takes that step.... :wink:
Daehawk

Post by Daehawk »

Heres one for ya. I was worried my salt may be low due to the tossing so I just ate a bit of salt and drank a gulp of semi flat Sprite and it tasted like eating a watermelon.
Zarathud

Post by Zarathud »

Seriously, there needs to be a list if not a thread.

Archinerd will also eat questionable things on a dare. So nothing personal. :)
"If the facts don't fit the theory, change the facts." - Albert Einstein
"I don't stand by anything." - Trump
“Bad men need nothing more to compass their ends, than that good men should look on and do nothing.” - John Stuart Mill, Inaugural Address Delivered to the University of St Andrews, 2/1/1867
“It is the impractical things in this tumultuous hell-scape of a world that matter most. A book, a name, chicken soup. They help us remember that, even in our darkest hour, life is still to be savored.” - Poe, Altered Carbon