Random randomness

Everything else!

Moderators: Bakhtosh, EvilHomer3k

TheMix

Re: Random randomness

Post by TheMix »

Love that movie. I should probably add that to the "would like to rewatch it again" thread. :lol:

Edit: DOH!!! New page. That was in reference to the Gross Pointe Blank movie clip.

Black Lives Matter

Isgrimnur - Facebook makes you hate your friends and family. LinkedIn makes you hate you co-workers. NextDoor makes you hate your neighbors.
Sudy

Post by Sudy »

We know how to click to go back a page you know. 8-)

Though a few of us may be too lazy....

I saw a commercial on late night TV. It said, "Forget everything you know about slipcovers." So I did. And it was a load off my mind. Then the commercial tried to sell me slipcovers, and I didn't know what the hell they were. -- Mitch Hedberg
Isgrimnur

Post by Isgrimnur »

No, I'm NOT all right! I'm hurt, I'm pissed... I gotta find a new job!
It's almost as if people are the problem.
Sudy

Post by Sudy »

Today's question is, why would Facebook default a post's comments to "Most Relevant", and then flag nothing as such, therefore displaying nothing? Do they think I like clicking twice? What bullshit. Again I have to ask, if BBSs and message boards had this figured out 20+ years ago, why has social media and Reddit etc. taken such a step back? I get that nested responses like on the latter can make it easier to navigate gigantic discussions, but it still falls apart after the replies get into the hundreds.

To this day, Facebook will tell me a friend has replied to a post with 100+ comments, but there's nothing I can click to navigate to it. It's scroll through everything to find it, or nothing.

I saw a commercial on late night TV. It said, "Forget everything you know about slipcovers." So I did. And it was a load off my mind. Then the commercial tried to sell me slipcovers, and I didn't know what the hell they were. -- Mitch Hedberg
Anonymous Bosch

Post by Anonymous Bosch »

Sudy wrote: Tue Jun 01, 2021 2:01 pm Today's question is, why would Facebook default a post's comments to "Most Relevant", and then flag nothing as such, therefore displaying nothing? Do they think I like clicking twice? What bullshit. Again I have to ask, if BBSs and message boards had this figured out 20+ years ago, why has social media and Reddit etc. taken such a step back? I get that nested responses like on the latter can make it easier to navigate gigantic discussions, but it still falls apart after the replies get into the hundreds.

To this day, Facebook will tell me a friend has replied to a post with 100+ comments, but there's nothing I can click to navigate to it. It's scroll through everything to find it, or nothing.
"There is only one basic human right, the right to do as you damn well please. And with it comes the only basic human duty, the duty to take the consequences." — P. J. O'Rourke
Rumpy

Post by Rumpy »

Sudy wrote: Tue Jun 01, 2021 2:01 pm Today's question is, why would Facebook default a post's comments to "Most Relevant", and then flag nothing as such, therefore displaying nothing? Do they think I like clicking twice? What bullshit. Again I have to ask, if BBSs and message boards had this figured out 20+ years ago, why has social media and Reddit etc. taken such a step back? I get that nested responses like on the latter can make it easier to navigate gigantic discussions, but it still falls apart after the replies get into the hundreds.

I've noticed that too and I don't know what causes it. Maybe someone has deleted their comment. But as for the comments overall, I've also noticed an odd habit of not listing any comments at all even though I can see the number of comments. Just can't see any of the comments themselves.
PC:
Ryzen 5 3600
32GB RAM
2x1TB NVMe Drives
GTX 1660 Ti
Holman

Post by Holman »

Isgrimnur wrote: Mon May 31, 2021 2:39 am
This has always stayed with me because the movie came out exactly 10 years after my high-school graduation.
Much prefer my Nazis Nuremberged.
Blackhawk

Post by Blackhawk »

I have noticed that if I click a notification for a comment, it tries to link directly to that comment, which hides all of the others. But if I go directly to the post, it displays them normally.

But as with everything Facebook does, the reason is the same: user herding.
(˙pǝsɹǝʌǝɹ uǝǝq sɐɥ ʎʇıʌɐɹƃ ʃɐuosɹǝd ʎW)
Smoove_B

Post by Smoove_B »

I did not know this!

Don't eat #cicadas if you're allergic to seafood as these insects share a family relation to shrimp and lobsters.
I mean, yeah they share a common ancestor, but the idea that you could be allergic to eating one is...interesting.
Maybe next year, maybe no go
Daehawk

Post by Daehawk »

Ive not seen or heard one yet.
--------------------------------------------
I am Dyslexic of Borg, prepare to have your ass laminated.
I guess Ray Butts has ate his last pancake.
http://steamcommunity.com/id/daehawk
"Has high IQ. Refuses to apply it"
coopasonic

Post by coopasonic »

Daehawk wrote: Wed Jun 02, 2021 2:52 pm Ive not seen or heard one yet.
Tasted?
-Coop
Black Lives Matter
Blackhawk

Post by Blackhawk »

I have read some recipes for using the shells as flavoring for either wine or beer.
Madmarcus

Post by Madmarcus »

Whether it is upbringing, introversion, or protective coloration after living in the US SE for so long I really don't like displaying my social views, political views, and group identifications all over the place. I'm probably too willing to share if you ask me about something but I cringe at the idea of putting a BLM bumper sticker on my car, any political sign in my yard, or a Pride frame around my profile picture.

Somehow I've become really conscious of this over the last year and feel that people are judging me.
gbasden

Post by gbasden »

Madmarcus wrote: Wed Jun 02, 2021 7:04 pm Whether it is upbringing, introversion, or protective coloration after living in the US SE for so long I really don't like displaying my social views, political views, and group identifications all over the place. I'm probably too willing to share if you ask me about something but I cringe at the idea of putting a BLM bumper sticker on my car, any political sign in my yard, or a Pride frame around my profile picture.

Somehow I've become really conscious of this over the last year and feel that people are judging me.
I totally agree about bumper stickers - I find them cringeworthy. I will put up yard signs if I feel strongly about something though. And I'm very out front about how I feel about things on social media.
Daehawk

Post by Daehawk »

Only ever had 2 bumper stickers. Got them at Spencers and put them on my first car in 86 when I was 17.

One read Born Horny and the other was Party Naked.

I also stuck them to the trunk paint so good luck to whoever got that car after I got rid of it :)
Kraken

Post by Kraken »

The only bumper sticker I ever displayed said "This vehicle powered by matter-antimatter" in the Star Trek font.
hepcat

Post by hepcat »

I had a Cthulhu bumper sticker that was a take off on the popular Christian fish symbol. One day a guy followed me for about a mile, and then sped up to drive alongside me while yelling at me to explain what Cthulhu was and why it was in a religious symbol (in far less words). I wasn’t sure how to respond. He wasn’t angry, but you could tell he was waiting to be offended. So I just kept it civil and said “it’s just a joke, man.”
He won. Period.
dbt1949

Post by dbt1949 »

When I was young I had the American flag and NRA stickers on my car. Been about 40 years since then and nothing.
Ye Olde Farte
Double Ought Forty
aka dbt1949
dbt1949

Post by dbt1949 »

One time about thirty years ago I was riding my bike early in the morning and I passed a cop's house who had his patrol car parked in his drive. So I stuck a bumper sticker on his car that said "Don't like my driving? Dial 1 800 EAT SHIT".
Never inquired about it after tho.
Ye Olde Farte
Double Ought Forty
aka dbt1949
Sudy

Post by Sudy »

gbasden wrote: Wed Jun 02, 2021 7:11 pm
Madmarcus wrote: Wed Jun 02, 2021 7:04 pm Whether it is upbringing, introversion, or protective coloration after living in the US SE for so long I really don't like displaying my social views, political views, and group identifications all over the place. I'm probably too willing to share if you ask me about something but I cringe at the idea of putting a BLM bumper sticker on my car, any political sign in my yard, or a Pride frame around my profile picture.

I totally agree about bumper stickers - I find them cringeworthy. I will put up yard signs if I feel strongly about something though. And I'm very out front about how I feel about things on social media.
Similar to tattoos, there's little I support so unequivocally, or that is itself such a clearcut issue that a bumper sticker, facebook frame, etc. is enough to do it justice. Yes, I have passionate opinions about many political issues, but a temporary profile pic doesn't usually create an opportunity for real discourse. Either you already agree with me, or you're likely to be pushed further away. Mature opinions are nuanced, or at least often need to be discussed sensitively or with regard for another person's journey.

I even felt guilty for posting a harsh endorsement of the flu shot on FB a few years ago. It isn't that I don't support it wholeheartedly, but that the people who are afraid of it or don't understand it aren't going to be persuaded by brute force. Like many professional and commercial campaigns, it seems impersonal and hamfisted.

Election signs... I haven't been in a rental/ownership situation where I could post one. But unless there was a candidate/party I could full endorse (unlikely) I doubt I could justify it. There are times when I felt lesser-evil voting was necessary, but openly supporting a party I just hate less is difficult. I also find it problematic that it's often hard to find out a lot about local candidates without a large time investiment and attending events. (In Canadian federal elections for example, you vote for a regional representative rather than for the party leader.)

Jaymann

Post by Jaymann »

dbt1949 wrote: Wed Jun 02, 2021 11:00 pm One time about thirty years ago I was riding my bike early in the morning and I passed a cop's house who had his patrol car parked in his drive. So I stuck a bumper sticker on his car that said "Don't like my driving? Dial 1 800 EAT SHIT".
Never inquired about it after tho.
You, sir, are a gentleman and a scholar.
Jaymann
]==(:::::::::::::>
Black Lives Matter
gbasden

Post by gbasden »

Sudy wrote: Wed Jun 02, 2021 11:47 pm Election signs... I haven't been in a rental/ownership situation where I could post one. But unless there was a candidate/party I could full endorse (unlikely) I doubt I could justify it. There are times when I felt lesser-evil voting was necessary, but openly supporting a party I just hate less is difficult. I also find it problematic that it's often hard to find out a lot about local candidates without a large time investiment and attending events. (In Canadian federal elections for example, you vote for a regional representative rather than for the party leader.)
I don't often put out a yard sign for a national candidate - I doubt that's going to matter in any way. But if there is a local candidate that I feel strongly about, I want to publicize them as there is often very little information out there. Similarly, sometimes there are initiatives where I feel like I have to make my feelings known. When CA had Proposition 8 on the ballot to bar same sex marriage, I had to put up something against it. It may not have changed any minds, but at least I made my feelings clear that I didn't stand for hate.
Daehawk

Post by Daehawk »

Last signs we had out were like 2012 local stuff and my cousin was running. She is loved around these parts so of course had her sign out.
hepcat

Post by hepcat »

I'm sitting in a barber shop in Chicago that I've always wanted to try called The Handsome Bastard. The wall is covered with cramps posters, and they just offered me a beer or some scotch while I wait. I love Chicago sometimes.
He won. Period.
Holman

Post by Holman »

hepcat wrote: Thu Jun 03, 2021 4:47 pm I'm sitting in a barber shop in Chicago that I've always wanted to try called The Handsome Bastard. The wall is covered with cramps posters, and they just offered me a beer or some scotch while I wait. I love Chicago sometimes.
Wait until they find out your hair is too perfect to cut. You scored a free drink!
Much prefer my Nazis Nuremberged.
hepcat

Post by hepcat »

Sometimes I bring in outside consultants.
He won. Period.
Daehawk

Post by Daehawk »

Dogs just continue getting more amazing. We have had dogs that just seemed to know stuff without us teaching them.

Dogs born with innate ability to understand human cues, study shows

Enlarge Image
The ability to take directions without any training — something not all the puppies in the study could do equally well — suggested to the researchers that these particular puppies had an innate ability to understand humans.
Z-Corn

Post by Z-Corn »

I think it's pretty apparent from watching Youtube videos that all domestic animals are getting smarter.
Blackhawk

Post by Blackhawk »

Z-Corn wrote: Fri Jun 04, 2021 3:23 pm I think it's pretty apparent from watching Youtube videos that all domestic animals are getting smarter.
I think it's pretty apparent from watching Youtube videos that humans are getting dumber.

So, relatively speaking, yes.
Daehawk

Post by Daehawk »

Sea slime. This is horrible. I feel so sad for all the sea life there.

https://www.cnn.com/videos/world/2021/0 ... the-world/
CNN's Arwa Damon dives under the waters of the Dardanelles Strait in Turkey and witnesses the massive marine mucilage bloom killing the undersea life.
Source: CNN
Daehawk

Post by Daehawk »

Remember those landmine detecting rats? One is retiring. Good for him. I love these guys.

Magawa the hero rat retires from job detecting landmines
Magawa the rat, who was awarded a gold medal for his heroism, is retiring from his job detecting landmines.

In a five-year career, the rodent sniffed out 71 landmines and dozens more unexploded items in Cambodia.

But his handler Malen says the seven-year-old African giant pouched rat is "slowing down" as he reaches old age, and she wants to "respect his needs".
Magawa, the group said, would stay in post for a few more weeks to "mentor" the new recruits and help them settle in.

"Magawa's performance has been unbeaten, and I have been proud to work side-by-side with him," Malen said.

"He is small but he has helped save many lives allowing us to return much-needed safe land back to our people as quickly and cost-effectively as possible."
Enlarge Image
Enlarge Image
Daehawk

Post by Daehawk »

Saw another glitch in the matrix today with the mail. I hear my mailbox close and look out to see the little white mail truck driving away from it. I pick my dog up and walk maybe 10 steps through to the other room and as I get to the front door I see a little white mail truck pulling away from my mailbox . Hmm
Anyways I get down there and theres only one item. I look down the road and there is no little white mail truck.
Daehawk

Post by Daehawk »

Gee. I took a bite of some spaghetti sauce and felt like glass or something hard stuck to the back of my tongue. I spit out the food and hacked and hacked and sputtered but couldn't dislodge it. I could feel it at the back of the roof of my mouth on my tongue though. Was causing a gag reflex. I couldn't see it in the mirror and swiping with a finger did nothing but gag me more. I could feel it but not see it so was afraid it was glass. It wasn't hurting my tongue just kinda gag choking me.

Finally grabbed the tweezers...my first thought was if I swallow these then thats a hospital trip. First try I grabbed whatever it was and pulled it out by luck. Was some kind of herb in the sauce like a splinter.A tiny little stick. Was only as long as a full fingernail but was embedded in the back of my tongue. Weird I didn't feel any pain. Any further back and it would still have been a doctor trip. Shit. Freaked me out. Its still on my mind. I was sweating.
Daehawk

Post by Daehawk »

I have a little hummingbird that visits the honeysuckle vines outside my widow each evening. So cute. I used to have a feeder for them but it broke years ago. Im glad they still visit for the other stuff. I may get a new feeder sometime.

EDIT: It is window Dae not winder.
Z-Corn

Post by Z-Corn »

Z-Corn

Post by Z-Corn »

dbt1949

Post by dbt1949 »

This is my mom in law's 103rd birthday.
Also of course the anniversary of D-Day when one of my wife's uncles died during the invasion.
Ye Olde Farte
Double Ought Forty
aka dbt1949
The Meal

Post by The Meal »

The 77 year anniversary.
"Better to talk to people than communicate via tweet." — Elontra
Daehawk

Post by Daehawk »

The other day I was passing a doorway and noticed a dark patch out of the corner of my eye. I stopped and looked and it was a big Huntsman Spider. Bout jumped. He was only about 3" from me. Im not sure if he is the same one I saw in the kitchen last month. I held my hand out palm open to see if he'd crawl onto it but he barely moved backwards a little. I decided its best to leave him be. They are so squishy and full of liquid I didn't want him to break a leg or anything.

He looked like this one.
Enlarge Image
dbt1949

Post by dbt1949 »

It's odd but we have more brown recluses than any thing else. I've never been bit or had no symptoms at least.
Ye Olde Farte
Double Ought Forty
aka dbt1949