Amazon Prime -- Anyone use it?

Everything else!

Moderators: Bakhtosh, EvilHomer3k

Isgrimnur

Re: Amazon Prime -- Anyone use it?

Post by Isgrimnur »

At least they actually left it there.
It's almost as if people are the problem.
The Meal

Post by The Meal »

Isgrimnur wrote: Wed May 08, 2019 10:51 am At least they actually left it there.
It was your (belated) birthday present! ;) (Hope it was a good one.)
"Better to talk to people than communicate via tweet." — Elontra
Isgrimnur

Post by Isgrimnur »

It was, thank you.
LawBeefaroni
Forum Moderator

Post by LawBeefaroni »

Ha, I missed it and had to rewind. I was half watching expecting to see something fly up on the porch. It barely made it halfway. Tsk.

Thing with Amazon, sometimes they take pictures, something they don't. Sometimes they deliver my stuff to the vacant business next door, sometimes they don't. Sometimes they buzz and put it inside, sometimes they leave it on the sidewalk.

If I need it or if it's valuable, I'll usually get it delivered to a locker. Otherwise, I roll the dice.
" Hey OP, listen to my advice alright." -Tha General
"No scientific discovery is named after its original discoverer." -Stigler's Law of Eponymy, discovered by Robert K. Merton

MYT
The Meal

Post by The Meal »

I posted my video on the neighborhood Nextdoor site. Apparently it was either this driver's first day unsupervised, or (s)he declared it was Fuck It Day, as this individual threw packages in bushes, tossed them on sidewalks, left them in front of garage doors (with predictable results), etc. It was a rainy day, so I (oh so humorously) posted about ten posts into my thread that we should cut the driver some slack as they probably were just trying to stay as dry as possible. I'm not sure how Nextdoor works around the country (but I've been on a few Colorado neighborhoods' sites), but the results were predictable (and it's damn entertaining to troll your own thread). Attention to detail is not within the purview of the typical Nextdoor poster. (I wanted to post blaming the guy who started the thread for putting a camera on his porch just to make delivery people have bad days, but I thought that would probably be going too far.)
"Better to talk to people than communicate via tweet." — Elontra
Isgrimnur

Post by Isgrimnur »

ChiTrib
Amazon, which is racing to deliver packages faster, is turning to its employees with a proposition: Quit your job and we'll help you start a business delivering Amazon packages.

The offer, announced Monday, comes as Amazon seeks to speed up its shipping time from two days to one for its Prime members. The company sees the new incentive as a way to get more packages delivered to shoppers' doorsteps faster.

Amazon says it will cover up to $10,000 in startup costs for employees who are accepted into the program and leave their jobs. The company says it will also pay them three months' worth of their salary. The offer is open to most part-time and full-time Amazon employees, including warehouse workers who pack and ship orders. Whole Foods employees are not eligible to receive the new incentives.
hepcat

Post by hepcat »

Oh goody, more chances for an Amazon delivery to be just tossed at the front door of our building, no matter the weather, like a newspaper delivery, instead of actually taking it to the recipient's suite number as listed on the package. :x
Covfefe!
Isgrimnur

Post by Isgrimnur »

Start using the lockers that are on your way home.
LawBeefaroni
Forum Moderator

Post by LawBeefaroni »

Isgrimnur wrote: Mon May 13, 2019 10:39 am ChiTrib
....The offer is open to most part-time and full-time Amazon employees, including warehouse workers who pack and ship orders.
It's an offer the warehouse workers can't refuse.

The company started adding technology to a handful of warehouses in recent years, which scans goods coming down a conveyor belt and envelopes them seconds later in boxes custom-built for each item, two people who worked on the project told Reuters.

Amazon has considered installing two machines at dozens more warehouses, removing at least 24 roles at each one, these people said. These facilities typically employ more than 2,000 people.

That would amount to more than 1,300 cuts across 55 U.S. fulfillment centers for standard-sized inventory. Amazon would expect to recover the costs in under two years, at $1 million per machine plus operational expenses, they said.
"No scientific discovery is named after its original discoverer." -Stigler's Law of Eponymy, discovered by Robert K. Merton

MYT
Isgrimnur

Post by Isgrimnur »

Psst... :wink:
LawBeefaroni
Forum Moderator

Post by LawBeefaroni »

Isgrimnur wrote: Mon May 13, 2019 10:45 am Start using the lockers that are on your way home.
I use the lockers but they aren't always an option. Either because they're full or the package is too big or too heavy.

MYT
Isgrimnur

Post by Isgrimnur »

Polygon
Amazon announced Wednesday morning that the latest Twitch Prime perk is a free 30-day Crunchyroll Premium membership, the service’s first “loot” that’s unrelated to gaming.

Anime fans are well acquainted with Crunchyroll, one of the few anime streaming services that simulcasts series immediately after they’re broadcasted in Japan. Crunchyroll offers a free library of anime and manga, soon to include original series, via its website or the streaming platform VRV, but a premium membership is required to stream simulcasts and watch ad-free videos. Crunchyroll Premium also includes a discount at the platform’s merch store.

Twitch Prime is available to anyone with an Amazon Prime subscription by linking a Twitch account to an Amazon account.
The 30-day pass is available now and will activate after you redeem it on Twitch Prime. A Crunchyroll Premium membership usually costs $7.99 per month, $22.99 for three months, or $79.99 for a year.
Isgrimnur

Post by Isgrimnur »

Bye bye, buttons
Amazon is constantly evaluating our product and service offerings to best serve our customers. We are now offering customers more ways to shop than ever before, such as Alexa Shopping, smart reordering with an increasing selection of Dash Replenishment devices, Subscribe & Save, and virtual Dash Buttons. Because of the growth of these exciting new ways to shop, we are no longer supporting Dash Button devices. Beginning August 31, 2019, you won’t be able to use your Dash Button devices to reorder items. You can continue to order your products through the Amazon mobile app and Amazon.com, or by using your free virtual Dash Buttons.
Jeff V

Post by Jeff V »

Who used those anyway?
Black Lives Matter
Zaxxon
Forum Moderator

Post by Zaxxon »

Pretty sure only the folks who took the bribes when they were first offered...
Anonymous Bosch

Post by Anonymous Bosch »

Jeff V wrote: Thu Aug 01, 2019 10:43 pm Who used those anyway?
Simpletons.
"There is only one basic human right, the right to do as you damn well please. And with it comes the only basic human duty, the duty to take the consequences." — P. J. O'Rourke
Isgrimnur

Post by Isgrimnur »

I have five hanging from the hallway keyholder.
Kasey Chang

Post by Kasey Chang »

As a delivery driver, I run into all sorts of delivery drivers on my routes. Here are my impressions:

USPS -- stoic or friendly, but usually not that talkative. Depending on whether they're on foot or vehicle bound, they're usually too tired to do more than wave "hi". Vehicle bound ones are the ones usually doing Amazon.

Ontrac -- zero uniform, only a green safety vest. They're the ones who are most likely to be throwing your stuff. Their vehicles are often ding'ed and dented and just flatout look bad and old and worn.

Amazon in-house (actually driving amazon vans, wears amazon-logo'ed polos) -- more professional, almost UPS manners, but lacks the experience of UPS or Fedex. But they *can* throw your stuff around too if they think nobody's watching.

Amazon Flex -- contractors paid per delivery, they are always in a hurry and they'll throw your stuff or leave it at the MOST convenient location (for them).

UPS / Fedex -- wearing a uniform really ups the professionalism, but their routing backend allow them to be VERY efficient too. They don't need to park on the wrong side of the street, and they have access to building's loading docks and such. They are generally friendly or ignore you completely.

With that said, taking it to individual suite front doors is NOT practical for a lot of places and a lot of reasons. The industry average is 10 deliveries per hour. And management expects you to beat the average. That means you have six minutes to reach the destination, grab the box, get inside, drop, get back to vehicle, and get ready for the next destination. And often that doesn't include any breaks, or transit time to your delivery area. If driving time between locations is 3 minutes, that leaves 3 minutes to get in and get back out. And you know apartment buildings...

And I'll freely admit if I don't see clearly labeled signs and buildings, I'll call dispatch for help. But often, dispatch can't do much more than either call the customer for me, or go through Google Street Maps. And I'd leave stuff at leasing office or front desk if I can, and in mail area if I can't. I VERY rarely go up to apartment doors, and I'd avoid it if I can. I don't always park at the best spots. I'll guarantee to leave room for cars to go by, but I can't promise to actually back into a spot and properly parallel park. And I WILL double-park on residential streets when I can get away with it. Which is why I do NOT want to spend minutes hunting individual apartment doors... When I'm double-parked outside, and may be blocking a driveway.

And some of the apartment complex are just CRAZY. Multiple apartment complexes inside one main door. Once you get in, you practically have to have a map. You have to go up to the "plaza" level to cross onto a different tower, you need dongles or access codes to even open up the place... And the worst places: no elevator, or it's a "shared" elevator between multiple buildings and as Murphy's law dictates, your guy lives at the edge, nowhere near the center where the elevator is.
Last edited by Kasey Chang on Sun Aug 04, 2019 2:12 am, edited 1 time in total.
My game FAQs | Playing: She Will Punish Them, Sunrider: Mask of Arcadius, The Outer Worlds
dbt1949

Post by dbt1949 »

I don't have a traditional address. It drives everybody crazy. My 911 address is on the same mailbox but it not the same. When people call I give them my 911 address.
UPS and USPS are familiar with my regular address. Except for newbie UPS drivers.
Ye Olde Farte
Double Ought Forty
aka dbt1949
coopasonic

Post by coopasonic »

Amazon opened a physical store 10 minutes from my house. That can't possibly be dangerous.

https://www.dallasnews.com/business/ret ... ar-centre/
-Coop
Black Lives Matter
Zaxxon
Forum Moderator

Post by Zaxxon »

Is it about time to edit a 'not' into this thread's title?
Jaymann

Post by Jaymann »

I am a refusenik.
Jaymann
]==(:::::::::::::>
Black Lives Matter
Jeff V

Post by Jeff V »

coopasonic wrote: Thu Nov 07, 2019 2:33 pm Amazon opened a physical store 10 minutes from my house. That can't possibly be dangerous.

https://www.dallasnews.com/business/ret ... ar-centre/
What's a "physical store"? Is that one of those old timey things with parking lots and all?

We just got a Amazon toy catalog today. Not exactly the Sears Wishbook of olden times in size, but easily 5x the size of the JCP one I got yesterday. My son tore through it in about 10 minutes and declared it was huge and took him forever to read it.

Apparently this is going to be the Xmas of Legos. Moving on from Thomas I guess.
Black Lives Matter
LawBeefaroni
Forum Moderator

Post by LawBeefaroni »

Prime video has ads now? Ugh.

MYT
Blackhawk

Post by Blackhawk »

Not... exactly? From what I've heard, there was a service out there that nobody used (IMDB TV) that is ad supported. That channel has now been integrated into Prime as a channel, sort of the way you can sub to HBO or Starz through Prime. IMDB TV is added for free, but contains ads.

I'm suspicious of it myself, and am wondering whether it is a way for Amazon to sneak ads into the shows that were on Prime previously (let the license expire, renew it through IMDB TV and they can now include ads in shows that were previously ad-free.) Amazon owns IMDB.
(˙pǝsɹǝʌǝɹ uǝǝq sɐɥ ʎʇıʌɐɹƃ ʃɐuosɹǝd ʎW)
Zaxxon
Forum Moderator

Post by Zaxxon »

Prime has ads for Prime stuff. Eg pre roll ad for other Prime shows while watching Expanse S4. But nothing once a show starts.
LawBeefaroni
Forum Moderator

Post by LawBeefaroni »

Blackhawk wrote: Thu Jan 02, 2020 12:50 pm Not... exactly? From what I've heard, there was a service out there that nobody used (IMDB TV) that is ad supported. That channel has now been integrated into Prime as a channel, sort of the way you can sub to HBO or Starz through Prime. IMDB TV is added for free, but contains ads.

I'm suspicious of it myself, and am wondering whether it is a way for Amazon to sneak ads into the shows that were on Prime previously (let the license expire, renew it through IMDB TV and they can now include ads in shows that were previously ad-free.) Amazon owns IMDB.
Several shows that were ad-free now have ads (Corner Gas is the one we were watching). I guess when they added IMDB TV they moved several items to the new service from regular Prime.

Like two 2-minute plus breaks in the middle of a half-hour show. Pokamon Go and Sprint are two that I remember.

MYT
LawBeefaroni
Forum Moderator

Post by LawBeefaroni »

Wait, Amazon owns IMDB, right? So they're just shifting content from ad-free Prime to ad-supported IMDB Freeplay.

MYT
Blackhawk

Post by Blackhawk »

Yep.
mori

Post by mori »

How do you actually get a refund? I ordered something through Prime and all that showed up was an empty padded envelope (appears that it was not sealed properly and the item fell out during transport). The only refund option I can find they will refund my money but only after they get the item back. What am I to do, send an empty envelope back?
Isgrimnur

Post by Isgrimnur »

Go to the support chat.
Kasey Chang

Post by Kasey Chang »

mori wrote: Tue Jan 21, 2020 9:16 pm How do you actually get a refund? I ordered something through Prime and all that showed up was an empty padded envelope (appears that it was not sealed properly and the item fell out during transport). The only refund option I can find they will refund my money but only after they get the item back. What am I to do, send an empty envelope back?
Support chat. Open your order list and get the order number. Then explain you didn't actually get the item. Usually they'll agree to just send you another one. Or you can ask for refund.
My game FAQs | Playing: She Will Punish Them, Sunrider: Mask of Arcadius, The Outer Worlds
mori

Post by mori »

Thanks and I was told I would get a refund. They keep that hidden.
Blackhawk

Post by Blackhawk »

And another item Amazon is replacing for me for free. They have gotten really lazy with their packaging lately, but this time takes the cake. I ordered an adventure for my upcoming Pathfinder game. If you're not a tabletop RPG player, these things are 8.5"x11" softback books, and they're something that a lot of people (like myself) go to pains to keep in good shape.

They packed it in the same loose box as a case of canned water. There is zero chance this thing would have survived a ride across town in the front seat of a car without damage. Knocked around in the back of a truck on a cross-country trip? Pfft.
Kasey Chang

Post by Kasey Chang »

Speaking of refunds... in the other topic I said I had to return a BT adapter (which costs about $15). It died after 24 hours.

Amazon sent me a new one, wanting me to return the old one. Okay. Got the new one. But somehow the return was written so it CANNOT be returned to Amazon Go. it had to be MAILED.

Found some tape and an old Amazon envelope I can recycle. Cost me like $6 bucks to ship.

Amazon was nice enough to give me a refund on the shipping costs... minus a buck. They only gave me 4.50 back. Argh.
Jeff V

Post by Jeff V »

Do you have a nearby Kohl's? I take all my Amazon returns to them.
Black Lives Matter
TheMix

Post by TheMix »

Jeff V wrote: Wed Jan 29, 2020 6:02 pm Do you have a nearby Kohl's? I take all my Amazon returns to them.
Huh? I didn't know that. That could potentially be handy. We have a Kohl's not too far away.

Black Lives Matter

Isgrimnur - Facebook makes you hate your friends and family. LinkedIn makes you hate you co-workers. NextDoor makes you hate your neighbors.
Kasey Chang

Post by Kasey Chang »

TheMix wrote: Wed Jan 29, 2020 6:08 pm
Jeff V wrote: Wed Jan 29, 2020 6:02 pm Do you have a nearby Kohl's? I take all my Amazon returns to them.
Huh? I didn't know that. That could potentially be handy. We have a Kohl's not too far away.
No Kohl's anywhere near me, unfortunately. Closest is a city away in Colma.
Jeff V

Post by Jeff V »

TheMix wrote: Wed Jan 29, 2020 6:08 pm
Just print your return slip from Amazon and bring it there, they actually have signs directing you to the Amazon return counter (used to be a discreet kiosk, now I think most folded it in with their Customer Service desk). On top of it, Kohls provides you with a 25%-off coupon for use in their store, good for a week or so.
Black Lives Matter
Jeff V

Post by Jeff V »

Kasey Chang wrote: Wed Jan 29, 2020 7:59 pm No Kohl's anywhere near me, unfortunately. Closest is a city away in Colma.
Here they are ubiquitous. My little fly spec town (pop 19K) has one, as does the slightly larger horse fly spec town (pop 33K) about 15 minutes away. I know of at least 5 others within 30 minutes drive.
Black Lives Matter