Hot Sauce

Everything else!

Moderators: Bakhtosh, EvilHomer3k

RunningMn9

Hot Sauce

Post by RunningMn9 »

I'm by no means a hot sauce freak. I've had my share of HOT sauces, and recently set my personal best by ingesting some 357 Mad Dog Collector's Edition (600,000 scoville units)*. Over the years, I've tried standard 357 Mag Dog (357,000 scoville units), Blair's Jersey Death Sauce (360,000 scoville units), Pain 100% (don't know the rating, but it's hot), Da' Bomb Beyond Insanity (120,000 scoville units), Dave's Ultimate Insanity Sauce (don't know the rating, but it was so painful to consume that I threw it out - it tasted like it was angry at me), See Dick Burn (worst hot sauce experience ever as I consumed about 1/6th of the bottle in one sitting, accidentally), and Professor Phardtpounder's Colon Cleaner (scotch bonnet pepper based sauce).

The Colon Cleaner was the tastiest of the bunch. But all of that is neither here nor there. The point of this post is that I am impossibly addicted to the Habanero version of Tabasco. I can't eat food anymore without it being slathered in this stuff. It's incedibly weak as far as hot sauces go (the Mad Dog CE stuff is 85 times hotter than the Habanero Tabasco). But it's got the Habanero taste, and enough of a bite to let you know that it's there.

Dare I say, it's delicious.

* - I made a personal promise to myself that I can never talk about my experience with this sauce without paying homage to Trent Steel. We had this stuff at our Super Bowl party. I took a "normal" amount, slapped it on a tortilla chip and knocked it back. 4 minutes of intense pain, followed by 10 minutes of regular pain. Trent put an unreasonable amount (a thin layer about the size of a pinky fingernail - about 10x too much) on a tortilla, but he flipped the tortilla and slapped that sauce right on his tongue. I predict that he will NEVER do that again. He was incapacitated for about 30 minutes. At which point he tried and laughed at the Blair's Jersey Death Sauce. It almost rivaled the day that he got some brutally hot stuff in his eye. That was big fun to watch.
And in banks across the world
Christians, Moslems, Hindus, Jews
And every other race, creed, colour, tint or hue
Get down on their knees and pray
The raccoon and the groundhog neatly
Make up bags of change
But the monkey in the corner
Well he's slowly drifting out of range
El-Producto

Post by El-Producto »

Back when I had my tolerance up for hot sauce. I've since let it slide big time, and I have a feeling that either of these would kill me. Flaming Hoop FTW!

This frankly just scares me:

http://www.sweatnspice.com/429-13.htm

Read the review, it's insane http://www.hotsauceblog.com/hotsaucearc ... ct-review/
"Goonies never say die"
www.bovineconspiracy.com
wonderpug

Post by wonderpug »

Sriracha has become my staple for the past 5-6 months. Not the spiciest sauce in the world, but a decent enough kick, and it's got a unique flavor to it. It's great with most anything, instant ramen, mac & cheese, french fries.

I don't have a favorite as far as the more traditional style hot sauces go, but I'll definitely be giving the habanero Tabasco a try the next time I buy groceries.

I got this Dave's sampler for Christmas:

Although mine came with Dave's Temporary Insanity instead of the standard Insanity. The Temporary Insanity was the only one that was hotter than ordinary Tabasco, and true to its word it wore off after 10 minutes or so. Good kick on that one, a little dab on my sampling enchilada went a long way. The roasted garlic and cool cayenne were alright, but not all that special. The Hurtin' Jalapeño was very tasty as a green hot sauce, I liked its flavor a lot. But like I said, along with the other two non-Insanity sauces, it's fire was at best as hot as Tabasco.
Daehawk

Post by Daehawk »

Ive never understood the facination with super hot hot sauces. To me its all pain and no taste. Tabasco Red original is my limit on hot pain. It has great flavor and a good enough and sometimes too much bite for me. I love the Tabasco Green though. that is the tastiest sauce Ive ever had. And I can take 5-8 drops per bite of it :)
--------------------------------------------
I am Dyslexic of Borg, prepare to have your ass laminated.
I guess Ray Butts has ate his last pancake.
http://steamcommunity.com/id/daehawk
"Has high IQ. Refuses to apply it"
Mr Bubbles

Post by Mr Bubbles »

This is by far my favorite sauce. Its not the hottest, but damn its good. Some soft boiled eggs with a healthy layer of this stuff and I'm good for the day.
“The whole problem with the world is that fools and fanatics are always so certain of themselves, but wiser people so full of doubts.”
Bertrand Russell
Kelric

Post by Kelric »

I don't think I could ever be talked into eating anything describing itself as 'Colon Cleaner.'
Jolor

Post by Jolor »

Ive never understood the facination with super hot hot sauces. To me its all pain and no taste.
I like my heat but it has to be a flavourful heat. If it doesn't add flavour, then I just don't see the point.
Brian

Post by Brian »

Jolor wrote:
Ive never understood the facination with super hot hot sauces. To me its all pain and no taste.
I like my heat but it has to be a flavourful heat. If it doesn't add flavour, then I just don't see the point.
Cholula. Their slogan is, "The Flavorful Fire."

"Don't believe everything you read on the internet." - Abraham Lincoln
Mookee

Post by Mookee »

El-Producto wrote: This frankly just scares me:

http://www.sweatnspice.com/429-13.htm

Read the review, it's insane http://www.hotsauceblog.com/hotsaucearc ... ct-review/
That's just ridiculous.

"Please note that this is one of the only foods available on the market that is weaponized for military use."

Heh.
Tareeq

Post by Tareeq »

From experience, I recommend wonderpug's sauce (we call it "chicken sauce" at our house - hot but not punishingly hot, and it has a nice garlic overtone) and AW's Cholula, which is indeed fiery and flavorful.

Both are in my fridge, along with a huge bottle of Texas Pete, which is the Rolling Rock of hot sauce, cheap and good.
Over here.
brettmcd

Post by brettmcd »

I just cant handle anything hot, hell even taco bell or any other type of mexican food is too much for me. I dont even like pepper on anything.
There is no problem so large that it cannot be solved by a liberal dosage of explosives.
dangerballs

Post by dangerballs »

I was just reading this earlier:

http://www.iht.com/articles/ap/2007/02/ ... Pepper.php

and that rating is just for the pepper alone.
Bob

Post by Bob »

Once you get past trying to prove how macho you are by eating hot sauce, selecting a good hot sauce is all about the balance of flavor and spice.

I'll have to try this Habanero Tabasco, it sounds good. I've been stuck with Frank's, since it's one of the few carried around here.
Why is it every time I need to get somewhere, we get waylaid by jackassery?
Discalced

Post by Discalced »

OT, but funny.

My junior year of college I shared a 4 bedroom place with 3 other guys. One was from India, named Himashu. He went by He-Man. He "could take any hot sauce ever made." My buddy bought some stuff online, can't remember the name.

He-Man took a plastic cup shot-glass full to the dome. He was so *disturbed* by it that he missed class for two days. Our toilet was occupied for almost as long. Sweating bullets doesn't even begin to describe the phenomena that apparently found its way out of every orifice. We felt bad afterwards.
Green Giant

Post by Green Giant »

wonderpug wrote:Image

Sriracha has become my staple for the past 5-6 months. Not the spiciest sauce in the world, but a decent enough kick, and it's got a unique flavor to it. It's great with most anything, instant ramen, mac & cheese, french fries.
This stuff is great. I eat it with practically everything. My biggest complaint about hot sauces is that they have no flavor to go along with the hot. Sriracha tastes good and is spicy. I always have a bottle on my table and a backup in the cupboard.

Everyone I have recommended it to that likes hot sauce loves it.
Batman: "Nobody wants war."
Robin: "Gee, Batman. Belgravia's such a small country. We'd beat them in a few hours."
Batman: "Yes, and then we'd have to support them for years."

The timeless wisdom of Batman
RunningMn9

Post by RunningMn9 »

Daehawk wrote:Ive never understood the facination with super hot hot sauces. To me its all pain and no taste. Tabasco Red original is my limit on hot pain. It has great flavor and a good enough and sometimes too much bite for me. I love the Tabasco Green though. that is the tastiest sauce Ive ever had. And I can take 5-8 drops per bite of it :)
Have you ever had a habanero or scotch bonnet pepper sauce? Underneath the liquid lava is a WONDERFUL taste. Except the Dave's Ultimate Insanity which just tasted like liquified evil. It wasn't as hot as the Mad Dog, but it had no pay off.

Most of the time, these ridiculous sauces are used as ingredients in Trent's World Famous Hot Meat Balls(tm). Or in unpossibly hot salsa. Only when trying to guage the power of a new sauce does it go on a cracker for a sampling. The Habanero Tabasco is about twice as hot as stock Tabasco (don't know about the green stuff, not a big fan of green sauces), but it has the taste of the habanero, which is awesome. I also have a friend that makes wicked chili with the afformentioned 357 Mad Dog Collector's Edition.

That - and the endorphin rush from eating these things is way addictive.

The 16M scoville stuff is a novelty. Consuming *any* amount of it will send you to the hospital or kill you. The Colon Cleaner totally fuct up one of my parents' dogs. She was chewing on chairs, so they coated them with that stuff. The dog almost went insane, and shit itself for a day straight. Never went near those chairs again though. They felt awful (they had never tried these kinds of sauces before).

Also - the Mad Dog is the hottest hot sauce available on the market. Anything hotter is classified as a food additive and should not be ingested unless diluted with mass quantities of other stuff.
Make up bags of change
triggercut

Post by triggercut »

Tareeq wrote:From experience, I recommend wonderpug's sauce (we call it "chicken sauce" at our house - hot but not punishingly hot, and it has a nice garlic overtone) and AW's Cholula, which is indeed fiery and flavorful.

Both are in my fridge, along with a huge bottle of Texas Pete, which is the Rolling Rock of hot sauce, cheap and good.
We use sriracha for a lot of stuff at the restaurant (might it be the secret ingredient in our cocktail sauce? Maaaaybe. We might even use it in our remoulade....). Good ol' "Rooster sauce" is basically "asian ketchup", but it sure is good.
"It's my manner, sir. It looks insubordinate, but it isn't, really."
wonderpug

Post by wonderpug »

triggercut wrote:
Tareeq wrote:From experience, I recommend wonderpug's sauce (we call it "chicken sauce" at our house - hot but not punishingly hot, and it has a nice garlic overtone) and AW's Cholula, which is indeed fiery and flavorful.

We use sriracha for a lot of stuff at the restaurant (might it be the secret ingredient in our cocktail sauce? Maaaaybe. We might even use it in our remoulade....). Good ol' "Rooster sauce" is basically "asian ketchup", but it sure is good.
Oh, like we're gonna trust the advice of someone who keeps his remoulade 4 degrees over the recommended hold temperature. :x

And no, I didn't have that memorized. ;) Stumbled across that old thread just now trying to remember the name of your restaurant. I've got to take a visit sometime. You're in Virginia? The chipotle grilled shrimp and maytag bleu potato chips sound very tempting to start with, I know my girlfriend would jump at the lobster ravioli, and as tempting as some of those signature entrees sound, I don't know if I could resist that 18oz bone-in ribeye. I've been planning to take a trip down to DC for a while now, so I'm definitely going to make it happen.
Lee

Post by Lee »

Easily my favorite. Hot with a nice flavor to it.
For motivation and so Jeff V can make me look bad:
2010 Totals: Biking: 65 miles Running: 393 miles
2009 Finals: Biking: 93 miles Running: 158 miles (I know it sucked, but I had a hernia most of the year)
mori

Post by mori »

I like Melinda's Hot Sauce and Maria Sharp's Hot Sauce.
killbot737

Post by killbot737 »

Lee wrote:Image

This is great on cottage cheese. Really!
There is no hug button. Sad!
Yog-Sothoth

Post by Yog-Sothoth »

Mr Bubbles wrote:Image
This is by far my favorite sauce. Its not the hottest, but damn its good. Some soft boiled eggs with a healthy layer of this stuff and I'm good for the day.
Yes, El Yucateco is pretty good. I like to think of it as honest Habanero sauce, hot but not "enhanced" with Habanero extract. I've cut back on hot sauce in general after that stopped being hot - even to my insides.

Still, every once in a while it's good to go for the gusto and get those endorphins goin'. :twisted:

Sriracha is good too. I love it in Pho. Go for the Rooster!
gbasden

Post by gbasden »

RunningMn9 wrote:
Daehawk wrote:Ive never understood the facination with super hot hot sauces. To me its all pain and no taste. Tabasco Red original is my limit on hot pain. It has great flavor and a good enough and sometimes too much bite for me. I love the Tabasco Green though. that is the tastiest sauce Ive ever had. And I can take 5-8 drops per bite of it :)
Have you ever had a habanero or scotch bonnet pepper sauce? Underneath the liquid lava is a WONDERFUL taste. Except the Dave's Ultimate Insanity which just tasted like liquified evil. It wasn't as hot as the Mad Dog, but it had no pay off.
I actually really like the Ultimate Insanity. It always goes with me to Mongolian BBQ, and I make sure I get right in front of whichever friend needs punsihment. :)
Debris

Post by Debris »

Lee wrote:Image

Tapatio is a staple in our house. It's a different flavour because it uses a water base instead of the more common vinegar. This allows the flavor of the chili to be the prevalent taste intead of spicy vinegar.

We're also big fans of the Rooster Sauce.
godhugh
Forum Admin

Post by godhugh »

I love hot sauce, but I haven't ever tried any of the brands yall are talking about. I mainly stick with really hot curries or buffalo wings. I love me some atomic Wingstop wings :).
To my Wife:

"Life's only life with you in this song" -Whistles the Wind, Flogging Molly

Not to my Wife:

- "When someone smiles at me, all I see is a chimpanzee begging for his life."
RunningMn9

Post by RunningMn9 »

gbasden wrote:I actually really like the Ultimate Insanity. It always goes with me to Mongolian BBQ, and I make sure I get right in front of whichever friend needs punsihment. :)
It's entirely possible that I had a bottle that went bad. Like I said, it tasted like the sauce was mad at me or something. It was awful. Just heat and pain, no deliciousness.

I have also had Trent Steel's World Famous Spicy Hot Meat Balls(tm) enhanced with Dave's Insanity Spice. Those were delicious.
Make up bags of change
tgb

Post by tgb »

Ever try dessert hot sauce on ice cream or pie? Toad Sweat ftw.

I spent 90% of the money I made on women, booze, and drugs. The other 10% I just pissed away.
Xmann

Post by Xmann »

I'm a huuuuuuge hot sauce fan and eat some type of sauce on nearly every meal.

i also "was" a big fan of the Tabasco Habanero but noone sells it here anymore. No Wally World or any local grocer. Quite unhappy to be hones.
gf.me/u/zhnmhs
Combustible Lemur

Re: Hot Sauce

Post by Combustible Lemur »

Arise fair thread from the abyss!

I was this old when I learned wingstop atomic sauce (which I love) is right in the same heat range as da bomb from Hot Ones but tastes good.
And, that while ranked higher, HO's last dab, in people's experience (at the top of a Google search) isn't as hot as Dave's Insanity of which I have consumed my share.

Huh.

Anybody else still dabbing in the heat?

Sent from my SM-N975U using Tapatalk

Is Scott home? thump thump thump Crash ......No.
McNutt

Post by McNutt »

I use a lot of hot sauce. My main one is Trappey's Ghost Pepper sauce, but I really like the El Yucateca line. Great heat with a lot of flavor.
Combustible Lemur

Post by Combustible Lemur »

McNutt wrote:I use a lot of hot sauce. My main one is Trappey's Ghost Pepper sauce, but I really like the El Yucateca line. Great heat with a lot of flavor.
Love the Yucateca xxxtra hot.

Is Scott home? thump thump thump Crash ......No.
naednek

Post by naednek »

McNutt wrote: Fri Oct 15, 2021 11:21 pm I use a lot of hot sauce. My main one is Trappey's Ghost Pepper sauce, but I really like the El Yucateca line. Great heat with a lot of flavor.
that explains your sweaty avatar
hepcat - "I agree with Naednek"
hitbyambulance

Post by hitbyambulance »

it's funny reading the old part of this thread from early 2007 where people are talking about sriracha as a 'new thing'
Brian

Post by Brian »

On a trip to Mexico back in 2018, the villa we stayed at was stocked with a variety of hot sauces from the Chimay brand.

I found a source that imports them into the US and have been buying it in 12 packs of bottles.
It's hotter than my previous favorite, Cholula, but still maintains a very good flavor.

Enlarge Image
"Don't believe everything you read on the internet." - Abraham Lincoln
FishPants
Server WhOOre

Post by FishPants »

My staple these days remains Sriracha for anything that the garlic adds to (so basically everything except fruit loops). I was pretty excited to find a grocery store that imported Tapatio into Canada - I love that on any kind of Mexican food, even cheap frozen burritos.
No.
McNutt

Post by McNutt »

Combustible Lemur wrote:
McNutt wrote:I use a lot of hot sauce. My main one is Trappey's Ghost Pepper sauce, but I really like the El Yucateca line. Great heat with a lot of flavor.
Love the Yucateca xxxtra hot.

Have you tried their special reserve sauce? It's a smokey sauce that works great on leftover chicken fingers.
Alefroth

Post by Alefroth »

Currently I have Sriracha, Trader Joe's Habanero sauce, Queen Majesty Scotch Bonnet and Ginger, two local fermented hot sauces, one made of serrano and the other a blend of Krimzon Lee, Maya Habanero, two kinds of cayenne, and Fresno chiles. It is so good, but not made anymore. I just finished a Cholula and a Crystal, my favorite Louisiana style hot sauce.
Kraken

Post by Kraken »

I recently bought some harissa for a Middle Eastern recipe I wanted to try, and discovered that I like it. It's not hot sauce as such, but its smokey spicy flavor really jazzes up subdued dishes like my Turkish flatbread, which is potato and flour-based.
What Does Harissa Taste Like? If you've never tried this fiery sauce before, it has a very peppery, smoky flavor and can range in levels of heat, depending on which peppers and chiles make up the sauce. It also has a strong garlicky flavor that's brightened up with a kick of citrus. Harissa is a Tunisian hot chili pepper paste, the main ingredients of which are roasted red peppers, Baklouti peppers, spices and herbs such as garlic paste, caraway seeds, coriander seeds, cumin and olive oil to carry the oil-soluble flavors.

This is a condiment I'm going to keep on hand regularly now.
Daehawk

Post by Daehawk »

When I was a kid 1 drop of Tabasco was enough to make my head explode. It wasn't until I was around age 35 that I found I love hot sauces. Im not a fan of most of them. Dont care for Cholula or Sriracha. I love Tabasco red and really love Tabasco Green. Its my favorite. I also really like Franks Red Hot. All have lots of flavor and less heat unless I pile it on. Also love hot chips and pig skins.
--------------------------------------------
I am Dyslexic of Borg, prepare to have your ass laminated.
I guess Ray Butts has ate his last pancake.
http://steamcommunity.com/id/daehawk
"Has high IQ. Refuses to apply it"
Alefroth

Post by Alefroth »

Kraken wrote: Sat Oct 16, 2021 4:16 pm I recently bought some harissa for a Middle Eastern recipe I wanted to try, and discovered that I like it. It's not hot sauce as such, but its smokey spicy flavor really jazzes up subdued dishes like my Turkish flatbread, which is potato and flour-based.
What Does Harissa Taste Like? If you've never tried this fiery sauce before, it has a very peppery, smoky flavor and can range in levels of heat, depending on which peppers and chiles make up the sauce. It also has a strong garlicky flavor that's brightened up with a kick of citrus. Harissa is a Tunisian hot chili pepper paste, the main ingredients of which are roasted red peppers, Baklouti peppers, spices and herbs such as garlic paste, caraway seeds, coriander seeds, cumin and olive oil to carry the oil-soluble flavors.

This is a condiment I'm going to keep on hand regularly now.
Mmm... yeah, harissa is delicious. Musthapa harissa is the best I've tried so far.

Something else that lies outside of typical hot sauce that I've been really hooked on is spicy chili crisp.