Biomutant

If it's a video game it goes here.

Moderators: LawBeefaroni, Arcanis, $iljanus

coopasonic

Biomutant

Post by coopasonic »

I was surprised to see no mention of Biomutant in a search here.

It's coming in 15 days and looks pretty awesome.

https://www.biomutant.com/en/

Conveniently it is also on Gamepass (by way of EA Play Pro) so I will certainly be checking it out.

Open world third person action rpg with anthropomorphic animals and classes and mutations and weapon customization and a branching storyline and vehicles and wild combat... I'm pretty pumped.
Last edited by coopasonic on Mon May 17, 2021 10:36 am, edited 1 time in total.
-Coop
Black Lives Matter
Scraper

Re: Biomutant

Post by Scraper »

I've been keeping an eye on it. I hope it ends up being as good as it looks. I'll wait on the reviews to try it though.
FTE
Smoove_B

Post by Smoove_B »

I'd thought we had a thread on it when it was first announced but then it was delayed or something happened and it sort of slipped into limbo? I'm definitely watching - looks quite interesting.
Maybe next year, maybe no go
TheMix

Post by TheMix »

It was definitely talked about. Or I probably wouldn't know about it. :D

However, I don't remember whether it got a dedicated thread.

Black Lives Matter

Isgrimnur - Facebook makes you hate your friends and family. LinkedIn makes you hate you co-workers. NextDoor makes you hate your neighbors.
coopasonic

Post by coopasonic »

I can't find anything using the sites search engine or google site-specific search. Maybe they just stopped indexing us. :P
-Coop
Black Lives Matter
IceBear

Post by IceBear »

I'm interested but until I get a new machine I don't know if I can actually run it and no upgrades for me for awhile :(
Jag

Post by Jag »

coopasonic wrote: Mon May 10, 2021 11:50 am Conveniently it is also on Gamepass (by way of EA Play Pro) so I will certainly be checking it out.
Don't you have to pay extra for EA Play Pro? I didn't think it was available on regular Gamepass. It would be great if i could play it on PC through Gamepass.
coopasonic

Post by coopasonic »

Jag wrote: Mon May 17, 2021 10:26 am
coopasonic wrote: Mon May 10, 2021 11:50 am Conveniently it is also on Gamepass (by way of EA Play Pro) so I will certainly be checking it out.
Don't you have to pay extra for EA Play Pro? I didn't think it was available on regular Gamepass. It would be great if i could play it on PC through Gamepass.
I swear I saw somewhere that it would be on GamePass back when I posted that but now I can't find any confirmation. :(
-Coop
Black Lives Matter
Sudy

Post by Sudy »

GMG has this for 26% off right now, till 05/26 it looks like. I don't usually buy games at release, but I look forward to trying this out someday. I thought some of the preview videos looked pretty great, but also wondered if it was overly ambitious and would get stale quickly like a lot of less polished open-world games.

I saw a commercial on late night TV. It said, "Forget everything you know about slipcovers." So I did. And it was a load off my mind. Then the commercial tried to sell me slipcovers, and I didn't know what the hell they were. -- Mitch Hedberg
Max Peck

Post by Max Peck »

The more I see of this game, the more difficult it is to remind myself that I'm not supposed to buy any more games this month.

"What? What? What?" -- The 14th Doctor

It's not enough to be a good player... you also have to play well. -- Siegbert Tarrasch
coopasonic

Post by coopasonic »

I'll let you know how awful it is, don't worry.
-Coop
Black Lives Matter
Scraper

Post by Scraper »

Reviews are hitting. Both IGN and Gamespot gave it a 6. They both sited the same issues, namely the story is rubbish and the puzzles and quests feel dated. So yeah I can probably wait for this one to hit Gamepass to play it.
FTE
coopasonic

Post by coopasonic »

Yeah Kotaku and ACG didn't have much good to say about it either. I'll be checking it out since it's on EA Play Pro. I'll let you know my take in a day or three.
-Coop
Black Lives Matter
Sudy

Post by Sudy »

A 6 from IGN and Gamespot? Whoa. That's like a negative 15% on Rotten Tomatoes.

Kotaku said it was buggy, getting stuck/crashing about once an hour. Also mentioned some boring quests, but I mean... it's an open-world game.

I saw a commercial on late night TV. It said, "Forget everything you know about slipcovers." So I did. And it was a load off my mind. Then the commercial tried to sell me slipcovers, and I didn't know what the hell they were. -- Mitch Hedberg
Skinypupy

Post by Skinypupy »

Escapist was pretty meh on it as well, calling it an "ambitious mess". The most damning line, imo:
But that initial wonder quickly wore off when I realized that the incredible number of things to do in the game ultimately felt kind of meaningless, because I was never given a compelling reason to do any of them.
I was somewhat interested, but after seeing this feedback I'll definitely be giving it a pass.
When darkness veils the world, four Warriors of Light shall come.
Jag

Post by Jag »

That's a bummer. I was considering renting it on EA Pro for $14 for the month since I have nothing else on my playlist that is exciting to me.
El Guapo

Post by El Guapo »

Black Lives Matter.
Scraper

Post by Scraper »

The biggest thing i learned from that Conan video is that "the crack of someone's ass turned sideways is a hoagie sandwhich".
FTE
coopasonic

Post by coopasonic »

I've played a couple of hours and... I'm thinking about going back to Snowrunner. I haven't yet, but that should give you an idea of where I am with it. In theory, an open world action RPG with exploration and crafting should be right up my alley. There is an emptiness to the world that is inexplicable. The nearly overwhelming number of systems just seems unnecessary. Both the ranged and melee combat feel spammy and inaccurate. The soft-lock targeting can be frustrating. The narrator as translator is ponderous and awkward. Somehow beyond all that I am still interested in the world mostly based on the presentation and crafting. I'll keep at it for a bit and see if it can dig the hooks in any deeper.
-Coop
Black Lives Matter
Jag

Post by Jag »

Having fun with it. Level 15 and 2 worldbosses down. Definitely has some issues, primarily inventory/UI is a mess, but enjoying it regardless. Not very deep or difficult. Finding a mix of ranged and melee works best since some fights are much easier if you have a choice.
coopasonic

Post by coopasonic »

Finished it. A close to completionist run in 23.5 hours at level 40. My son finished it at level 26. It was fine. The combat was decent but pretty repetitive. You are doing the same thing at level 40 that you are level 4. I barely ever used special abilities because they just weren't necessary. The amount of map markers would embarrass Ubisoft. So, so much loot you didn't need. The story was fine, but over the top preach-y. The fact you only really heard one voice wasn't doing it any favors.

I've played worse games.
-Coop
Black Lives Matter
Jag

Post by Jag »

Finished at level 26. Was way too overpowered so figured I would finish the main quest. Fun and simple but not really worth full price.