Video games and dissatisfaction

If it's a video game it goes here.

Moderators: LawBeefaroni, Arcanis, $iljanus

Kasey Chang

Re: Video games and dissatisfaction

Post by Kasey Chang »

Collectable hunting in SE2 is a PITA when I hit mission 3. There are a bunch of one-way gates and that prevents you from going back for anything. This time, through the level where you take out the bridge to stop the Russians, I missed 4 out 10 gold bars and 2 out of 4 bottles.

And what's worse, the bottles are ONLY vulnerable to rifle shots, and those can't be silenced. I'll have to play this mission AGAIN to get all the collectables, and this is becoming a drag.
My game FAQs | Playing: She Will Punish Them, Sunrider: Mask of Arcadius, The Outer Worlds
Jaymann

Post by Jaymann »

I have really honed my gaming down to a few old favorites, haven't bought a new game since Jedi Fallen Order, other than an expansion for Baldur's Gate (I enjoy re-rolling characters as much as the actual game).

I will fire up City of Heroes a few times a week, but my go to is EQ on Project 1999. I split my time between playing twinked out newbs, or roaming Norrath with my high levels and dominating mid level dungeons (though there are still places where I get my ass handed to me). Part of it is the familiarity, though it is nearly impossible to fully explore. But I will also grind platinum for a couple weeks to get that next equipment upgrade. I can interact with guild members or ignore them as I see fit. Plus I can help out newbies to the game, which to them is seemingly godlike powers or incredible wealth. But it is all relative as there are fanatics that make me seem like a pauper. And I play on a pvp server, so there is always a sense of danger. Anyway it seems to keep me amused.
Jaymann
]==(:::::::::::::>
Black Lives Matter
Paradroid

Post by Paradroid »

Kasey Chang wrote: Tue Jul 14, 2020 7:18 pm
Paradroid wrote: Tue Jul 14, 2020 3:03 pm What do you think of Sniper Ghost Warrior Contracts? I have it but haven't gotten around to trying it yet.
I've been told, and from videos I've watched, it's not that long, and a sequel is due later this year. But you can, again, do it any way you like: sniping, knifing, or just plain shooting. Mechanics is quite solid, and paths plenty. Price is low enough that you can enjoy it without hurting like a AAA title. Should be pretty good game for the price, and has stuff for achievement hunters who want to chase down every last sub-goals.
Thanks Kasey. I already have it so will definitely fire it up some time soon.
I no longer post here.
Kasey Chang

Post by Kasey Chang »

Back in Sniper Elite V2 Remastered -- decided to forget about collecting and just go for a playthrough, cadet level, I'll get the gold bars and wine bottles when I see them, but there are too many one-way gates in the game to allow backtracking. Went through Missions 5 and 6 (The Church, and the Flak Tower) with no problems.

Actually, the church killed me like 5 times. I thought I killed everyone but the objective marker persisted in area 1. Left it to take care of area 2 and 3. Tried to descend to take care of the rest of enemies in the church, and suddenly game decided I failed to escape. I'm like... WTF? I tried like 5 more times, same result. Then I realized there had to be someone left alive back in area 1. Sure enough... There was a sniper hiding on the left edge that I hadn't killed. Killed him and finally game says I've completed area 1.

The Flak Tower roof got me once. Hit the guy at the wrong time, rushed at 3 sides by 6 guards. Can't survive that. Next time, was a lot more careful with my ambushes.

And yes, I know there was only 10 missions.
My game FAQs | Playing: She Will Punish Them, Sunrider: Mask of Arcadius, The Outer Worlds
Lassr

Post by Lassr »

I find that I have played so many games over my life and I have my favorites and then when I buy something new, I dread learning the rules, the interface, and then when I start playing I get to thinking "this other game" did it better. I always tend to fall into playing games over and over that I like and know. I have sooo many unplayed games but finding the extra time to learn the game seems to be a premium these days.
The only reason people get lost in thought is because it's unfamiliar territory.

Black Lives Matter
gbasden

Post by gbasden »

Lassr wrote: Wed Jul 15, 2020 10:40 am I find that I have played so many games over my life and I have my favorites and then when I buy something new, I dread learning the rules, the interface, and then when I start playing I get to thinking "this other game" did it better. I always tend to fall into playing games over and over that I like and know. I have sooo many unplayed games but finding the extra time to learn the game seems to be a premium these days.
I read a psychologists take that people go back to familiar TV shows and movies during times of stress because they know the story and it's comforting to have that certainty about how things are going to go. I imagine it's something of the same thing with at least story based video games.
Daehawk

Post by Daehawk »

After narrowing my gaming choice down to 3 series...KOTOR, Bioshock, Mass Effect......I went with Bioshock. Been a long time since I finished it last go. Im trying to run with different plasmids and such and guns. Using lots of pistol, mg, and grenade...which I usually dont. Using plasmids like enrage that pisses one enemy right the hell off like an Irishman who has been in a pub drinking too long and befriend the big daddy. That one is fun when theres a big crowd or better when there are two big daddys close by and I get one to fight the other then clean them both up. I lost a little sister somewhere doing that. She was not there when I went back for her. And Im not killing any of the little sisters at all.
--------------------------------------------
I am Dyslexic of Borg, prepare to have your ass laminated.
I guess Ray Butts has ate his last pancake.
http://steamcommunity.com/id/daehawk
"Has high IQ. Refuses to apply it"
Isgrimnur

Post by Isgrimnur »

You don't get the good ending if you do.
It's almost as if people are the problem.
Daehawk

Post by Daehawk »

I think you can get away with killing 1 but Im not even doing that. Ive played both ways..all alive all dead.
--------------------------------------------
I am Dyslexic of Borg, prepare to have your ass laminated.
I guess Ray Butts has ate his last pancake.
http://steamcommunity.com/id/daehawk
"Has high IQ. Refuses to apply it"
Isgrimnur

Post by Isgrimnur »

3 endings. None/some/all.
It's almost as if people are the problem.
Kasey Chang

Post by Kasey Chang »

Sniper Elite V2 Remastered progress report: finished 7 (take out Russian HQ) and 8 (find clue on where's Wulff's V2 hiding).

Seven was not that hard once I take out the tank. It's those darn wandering Russian patrols that are the problem. They are all over the F***ing place. I decided to use my rifle, not Panzerfaust, to take down the tank. Then it's a matter of sniping everyone, then shoot all enemies at the HQ, including the officer at the end who has the clue. Then it's a matter of shooting my way out... and these enemies spawn out of nowhere... Because I *know* I planted multiple trip mines near the entrance, and unless he was hiding IN the building (and he wasn't, I checked) he must have SPAWNED in the building. Cheating program... And two more spawned BEHIND me as I tried to leave the area!

Eight is almost the same pattern. Fight my way through a battle between Germans and Russians (start on Russian side). They kill each other, or I kill the leftovers. Run in, get sandwiched between them again, shoot them all dead. Run toward the Germans, shoot a few more Germans... Find the entrance to the underground, get through to the other station, exit, kill more Germans, fight my way into Wulff's building, fight my way out through more Germans to ANOTHER building... now the Russians arrived, have to make my way through Russian sniper alley while I try to get off the roof and have sniper duels. FINALLY get to the exit and out, onto mission 9.
Eel Snave

Post by Eel Snave »

I was thinking about getting a Sniper Elite game, then found that I already have v3 in my Steam library... somehow?

I really need to look at my backlog one of these days.
Downwards Compatible
We're playing every NES game alphabetically! Even the crappy ones! Send help!
Kasey Chang

Post by Kasey Chang »

Strangely, the more I played, the less I want to play through the last 2 mission in Sniper Elite V2 Remastered.

The V2 mission was fight my way into a Russian base, barricade myself in the control room, survive a bunch of enemies attacking Alamo style (with liberal use of trip mines, landmines, and so on), and when the time is right, put a bullet into the V2 rocket and make it goo all kablooomy. I remember this mission, as I've played it in the original, more than once. I remember dying quite a few times and won by the skin of my teeth, and yes, it's on cadet level.

And the final mission is fight my way onto the top of Brandenburg gate, through tanks and LOTS of soldiers, and put a bullet into the German scientist who sold out to the Soviets.
hitbyambulance

Post by hitbyambulance »

what happens if you snipe the guy, say, in the foot. or index finger
Eel Snave

Post by Eel Snave »

hitbyambulance wrote: Thu Jul 16, 2020 1:15 pm what happens if you snipe the guy, say, in the foot. or index finger
He says "ow that hurt :( :( :( :( "
Downwards Compatible
We're playing every NES game alphabetically! Even the crappy ones! Send help!
Kasey Chang

Post by Kasey Chang »

hitbyambulance wrote: Thu Jul 16, 2020 1:15 pm what happens if you snipe the guy, say, in the foot. or index finger
Anywhere in the thigh or torso or head is a kill. Anywhere else... not a kill. (Unless I manage to snipe the grenade on the guy's belt)

EDIT: Turns out there *is* an achievement to hit someone's finger... Weird...

Oh, and in the mission to assassinate Hitler... if you manage to hit him in the nuts, you can see he does indeed... only have one nut. ;)
Last edited by Kasey Chang on Fri Jul 17, 2020 1:21 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Kasey Chang

Post by Kasey Chang »

Decided to play Subdivision Infinity, which is NOT Wing Commander. Eterium was an outright Wing Commander clone/homage. SI... It more of a turn-and-burn kinda space action, third-person, aim-assist, that sort of thing.

The game has some extra value in that it gives you "exploratory missions" after winning, which seems to be "random sector" to hunt down more loot. And the loot is varied... you need minerals, currency, "evo kit", and "gear crates" to upgrade your ship/weapons. You can also get blueprints that will unlock better crafts. Your own ship can be "evolved" (i.e. upgraded to Mk 2) if you get enough evo kits and currency, and you have to nab the kit, by flying up to them and they are automatically tractored to your ship.

I generally don't like this sort of game as they usually restrict you to playing it a specific way, or you get overwhelmed (i.e. tactical puzzle). So far, at least on easy, it hadn't done that. I did get killed a few times, but I can immediately see how and why I died, so I didn't repeat my mistakes. But not having checkpoints is rather... annoying. In Chapter 2 Mission 1, I jumped into a new system, and this supposedly "dead" system is definitely active with freighters bringing in stuff, and lots of "corporate drones" defending. Killed three freighters (first time, got too close to one of them as it blew up, oops) Then control said something about get to the beacon and collect some archival data. It didn't say anything about mines, or how to sweep them. Got blown up. Had to start all the way back at mission start (the freighters... again). WTF... Found out that the default gun is pretty good for mine sweeping if I pause and take aim carefully (no lock-on to mines) but range is quite good. And obviously, more drones showed up. But eventually cleared the sector.
Smoove_B

Post by Smoove_B »

Paradroid wrote: Tue Jul 14, 2020 3:03 pm What do you think of Sniper Ghost Warrior Contracts? I have it but haven't gotten around to trying it yet.
Just tried playing - it should have been a winner for me as I love all the sniper games. However this one is first person view only and after ~30 minutes, I wanted to vomit. Even with an FOV adjustment, something is wonky with the perspective and the camera bob (no way to remove) put me over the edge. So yeah, refund request submitted.
Maybe next year, maybe no go