SnowRunner, a sequel to MudRunnner

If it's a video game it goes here.

Moderators: LawBeefaroni, Arcanis, $iljanus

jztemple2

SnowRunner, a sequel to MudRunnner

Post by jztemple2 »

SnowRunner releases on the Epic Game Store on April 28th (or today as I write this). Rather than explain it, I'll let you look at the Gameplay Overview Trailer

From what I've read about it, from reviews on Jalopnik and Rock, Paper, Shotgun, this isn't just a new MudRunner with different terrain. Instead they have added a lot of gameplay elements with missions, goals and reasons to move stuff from A to B besides making money. Here's what Jalopnik had to say in their verdict:
SnowRunner is simultaneously casual and hardcore. It’s a nuanced and intricate execution of: “Here’s a sandbox, go push some trucks through it” that’s satisfying to play for anyone who’s intrigued by problem-solving and cool trucks. But it also moves slowly and quietly enough that you can successfully play while you’re on the phone with a friend, stuffing your face with chips, sitting through a 10-party conference call, or not totally totally sober. Or some combination of all the above.

As a simulator, it’s a decent primer on how different functions and accessories help trucks get through various terrain elements. As a driving game, it keeps finding carrots to dangle in front of you to pull you in for another hour of play. SnowRunner is constantly encouraging you to press on through mud and snow to unlock more powerful vehicles, fix the towns, and find out what’s over the next ridge.

I can’t wait until work is over so I can play it again.
I put in some hours on MudRunner, but burned out since there wasn't a lot of gaming in the simulating. However, SnowRunner seems like something I could put some time into, like American Truck Simulator. I'll probably be picking it up.
My father said that anything is interesting if you bother to read about it - Michael C. Harrold
Rumpy

Re: SnowRunner, a sequel to MudRunnner

Post by Rumpy »

I still don't have Mudrunner, but from what I've read and seen, it makes that game feel more like a tech demo. They've expanded on it so much here. I'll maybe get this one on PS4.
PC:
Ryzen 5 3600
32GB RAM
2x1TB NVMe Drives
GTX 1660 Ti
jztemple2

Post by jztemple2 »

I'm really liking it so far, although I'm having to figure out how certain functions work. My MudRunner experience helps a lot.

Here's a short video of me driving my pickup through some really nasty stuff. The video quality is a reflection of my free YouTube channel, the game looks much nicer.

A nicer screenshot (click to enlarge)

My father said that anything is interesting if you bother to read about it - Michael C. Harrold
wonderpug

Post by wonderpug »

Does it seem significantly different than MudRunner so far? Are the controls with a console controller improved at all?
jztemple2

Post by jztemple2 »

wonderpug wrote: Wed Apr 29, 2020 11:31 am Does it seem significantly different than MudRunner so far? Are the controls with a console controller improved at all?
I'm using an X360 controller and I haven't had any issues. The game does support various wheels as well.

The game is more fun than Mudrunner because there is more game to it. You gain XP and money from a variety of accomplishments, from driving to the top of a peak to helping rebuild a bridge by bringing supplies like steel and wood. You also have objectives like helping a farmer by retrieving a vehicle of his that is stuck in a flooded field. Certain tasks require a specific vehicle type while others can be accomplished using any vehicle, although with some vehicles it might be more of a challenge. There's always something different to do.
Rumpy

Post by Rumpy »

Here's Squirrel's first-look.

PC:
Ryzen 5 3600
32GB RAM
2x1TB NVMe Drives
GTX 1660 Ti
jztemple2

Post by jztemple2 »

I'd say part of the appeal of the game is problem solving without being rushed. I had to get a truck I'd come across out of swamp. First of all, the swamp is hard to access, so I had to upgrade my most powerful truck with a raised suspension and big tires and a more powerful engine. Then, once I got my puller truck out there and got the sunken truck a bit towards the shore, it turns out the sunken truck needed some repairs. So I sent my scout out with its rooftop repair and refuel kit and got the now partially-sunken truck at least running. With that the partially-sunken truck could help the puller truck with the task of getting itself out of the water enough so I could complete recovery.

In another instance I had my two big trucks out with stuff to rebuild a bridge, one ending up on each end. However, my more highway oriented big truck stuck near the top of a hill and there were no nearby trees to which to attach its winch. The only truck with enough oomph to pull the truck up was on the other side of the unfinished bridge and I'd have to drive a long away around and also dump its cargo, so that wasn't a good choice. So instead I sent my pickup truck to free the stuck big truck. It couldn't budge it by pulling :?. However, I figured out a way to wedge the pickup truck sideways against a rock and then the big truck could attach its winch to the side of the pickup and use it to pull itself up out of where it was stuck. Very cool.

Sometimes though, things really get stuck (click to enlarge):

jztemple2

Post by jztemple2 »

I'll explain a bit about the maps and the missions (click any image to enlarge)

There are three regions in the game, Michigan, Alaska and Taymyr. The first two regions consist of four interlinked maps, the last of three interlinked maps. Interlinked means you can travel from one map in a region to another through a tunnel, the double lines show which map connects to which others. Here is the Michigan region:

Here's a look at my player profile for activities in Michigan. Note that I've finished 11 of the 82 missions in the Michigan region; missions consist of tasks, contracts and contests; the latter being tasks that have a timer, there aren't that many of those. There are eight vehicles to be found in Michigan, of which I have found five. These are freebie vehicles, there are also others you can buy through the truck store. I own right vehicles right now, including two I got through the Mod store.

Next here's a look at the summarized statistics for all regions. Note that there are 215 missions in total, that's a lot of content! A mention about watchtowers, those are objects that when reached remove the "fog of war" in a circle around them.

Finally here is part of the Black River map, one of the four Michigan maps. I've unlocked all the watchtowers, but there are still some dark areas I'll have to drive through to completely clear. You'll want to do that because scattered across the map are upgrade objects that unlock purchasable upgrades for your trucks.
jztemple2

Post by jztemple2 »

If you are going to get this game and spend some time with it, I'd suggest considering plunking down the extra moola for the High Roller Pack, unless of course you are buying the season pass, which includes the pack. The pack includes the Khan 39 Scout truck which is already fitted with good off-road tires and raised suspension. The default game has only a Chevy pickup truck for your scout at first and it is pretty stock, which means it's going to struggle off-road. Eventually you'll unlock or find upgrades that give it more capability, but it is still not as good as the Khan 39. You will eventually find an International Scout vehicle which is better prepared for off-road, but you'll still have to spend in-game money to upgrade it. The Khan 39 will save you some in-game time exploring and getting some of the more terrain challenging scout missions. It is, however, NOT required to enjoy the game. I didn't get the Khan 39 until I'd put in about nine hours and had already gotten all the watchtowers on the first map. I just want to save myself some time later on.
jztemple2

Post by jztemple2 »

jztemple2

Post by jztemple2 »

As I previously mentioned, I got the DLC with the Khan 39 Marshall Scout truck, the vehicle on the right as shown below. This has been a real time saver since it is a better off-road scout than the two vehicles that unlock on the first map. With the Khan 39 I've explored most of the second Michigan map, Smithville Dam. I did part of the exploring with a second vehicle in tow, which works pretty well. I drop off the second car before getting into really tough terrain so if I roll the Khan 39, I have the second car with a winch to get me upright. The second car also carries extra fuel, repair supplies and a spare tire. That second car, by the way, is a mod called the AWD Sedan 410, apparently a real car made in the USSR.

If I get one of my big trucks stuck, well, there is a real monster at https://snowrunner.mod.io/. It is called the KrazChaborz and it is very powerful and with big balloon tires I can go almost anywhere with it. It is so powerful in fact that I have purposely avoided using it in-game so as to not spoil the fun of trying to use lesser, mortal trucks :wink:. I only use the KrazChaborz to rescue one of my other trucks if it is really stuck.
jztemple2

Post by jztemple2 »

By the way, for anyone interested in using mods, the only valid mod site is https://snowrunner.mod.io/. It is the mod site used by the game and endorsed by the developers. Downloading a mod from the site makes it available to be activated via the Mod menu in the game, which is accessible from the main menu. There are other mod sites claiming that they have mods for SnowRunner but my Malwarebytes flags them as fraudulent sites. So be forewarned!
jztemple2

Post by jztemple2 »

As of this afternoon I have 41 hours on SnowRunner, or about three and a half times as many hours as I put in XCOM Chimera Squad :wink:

As I mentioned there are 11 maps in the game, divided into three regions. So far I've only finished the first Michigan region map and I'm most the way through the second 8-)

I'm enjoying tinkering with the mods as much as the game right now. My latest mod alters the winches in the game, making all winches being able to be used even if the truck engine is stopped. This happens quite a lot for me, as the engine stops when I roll the truck :doh:. So now instead of being stranded in the middle of nowhere I can try to use my winch to right the truck. Also the modder has made the default winch cable somewhat longer, which frankly seems quite realistic seeing how this is just like having a spare length of cable in the truck. Also to make the mod fit more in the game, he has for the big trucks made the winches available in four levels, from 1)stock to 2)an additionally longer cable, 3)powerful winch and 4)a combination of three and four.

Here are the mods I'm using: (click to enlarge)
AWS260

Post by AWS260 »

This game is very fun.
coopasonic

Post by coopasonic »

AWS260 wrote: Wed May 27, 2020 1:10 am This game is very fun.
...and even better it is on Game Pass! I saw it pop up there and gave it a look.... and then spent most of the weekend playing it. I never touched Mudrunner so I can't compare, but Snowrunner has been a lot of fun and I have barely gone beyond the very first map (other than to get upgrades and free trucks from the second map in Michigan and the first in Alaska). I can put offroad tires on most of my vehicles but they are all freebies and worth what you pay for them. There is a lot to do in the game and some of it can be kind of puzzle-y.
-Coop
Black Lives Matter
jztemple2

Post by jztemple2 »

SnowRunner is much better than MudRunner. I had a lot of fun with it.
coopasonic

Post by coopasonic »

It is also available on Steam now as well for anyone that was avoiding buying on Epic.
-Coop
Black Lives Matter
jztemple2

Post by jztemple2 »

And if you have progress on Epic that you want to transfer to Steam, see this official posting on how to do it. Ignore what I previously posted :roll:
Last edited by jztemple2 on Sat Jun 12, 2021 11:29 pm, edited 1 time in total.
jztemple2

Post by jztemple2 »

Anyone else currently playing this? I put in more than fifty hours a year ago and only completed pretty much all of Michigan and started on the Alaska map. I burned out after a couple of weeks and moved on to other games.

Recently I've decided I need a more Zen game to play, not one that needs me to work through spreadsheets or calculate how much food my people will need this month. American Truck Simulator is just a bit too laid back. Turns out SnowRunner was just what I needed. So now I'm back working through the first Alaska map and enjoying it. Plus it was in the nineties outside today so it's nice to play a game with snow :D

So, anyone want to talk about the game?
coopasonic

Post by coopasonic »

It's in my rotation. I got pretty far in Michigan but have detoured to Alaska and Russia just checking out different areas to get free trucks and scouring for upgrades.

I'm playing on GamePass so I have no idea what my play time is, but I am pretty sure it's a pretty big number.
-Coop
Black Lives Matter
jztemple2

Post by jztemple2 »

I've reached 104 hours in the game, just starting to explore the Taymyr region. I put up the game yesterday, intending to switch to reading for awhile, but with the announcement today of TATRA Joins SnowRunner with 2 new trucks! I've decided to starting playing again.
Hello SnowRunners!

We are thrilled to announce that TATRA Trucks have joined SnowRunner!

Today, two new TATRA trucks are available in-game to all Year 2 Pass owners.

The Czech manufacturer is the first European brand to join SnowRunner’s family of rugged, iconic, and durable vehicles, taking the stage in style with the TATRA 813 and TATRA 805. The 813 is a heavy 8-wheeler boasting incredible agility for a truck of its size, while the 805 is a versatile off-road truck capable of traversing the most difficult of paths.

Today’s TATRA Dual Pack is available to all Year 2 Pass owners. SnowRunner has mountains of content yet to come, and that includes more TATRA trucks, so stay tuned for more.

There is also an update out with some bug fixes, nothing major I can see. Note that this TATRA pack can be bought separately or comes free with the Year 2 Pass. Due to a moment of weakness I now own both the Year Passes :roll:, even though the first part of the Year 2 Pass content won't be released till August (supposedly). So now I'm off to play with my new trucks in the mud :D
coopasonic

Post by coopasonic »

The problem with all the new trucks and such is that once you get the Tayga you have no use for any other trucks ever... except maybe turning your Tayga upright again if you are in a place where you don't want to recover. I've tried using other trucks they are just too much work. Always on AWD and locked diff with a beefy engine and good mud tires... what more could you ask for?
-Coop
Black Lives Matter
jztemple2

Post by jztemple2 »

I try to use multiple trucks on my maps so I spend less time in transit. This is especially good for maps that don't have garages. I've gotten into the habit of towing one truck with another (with the winch) from one map to the next so they are already staged. My biggest train was one truck with trailer towing (by winch) another truck with trailer. It actually worked, surprisingly enough.

I also love the views on these maps:
Image click for big version on Imgur
jztemple2

Post by jztemple2 »

I do see your issue with one truck really being the best at pretty much all tasks. I have seen that in racing games where the races are by performance class and vehicles can be upgraded to be at the very top of the performance class needed. Once you get a favorite you tend to forget the others.

What I try to do is go for the trucks(s) nearest the job and adapt as needed. Also whenever I unlock a truck I try to use that truck for the next few jobs. I guess it's like for people with kids that you try to love them all equally :wink:.

I run only one vehicle mod, but it's a doozy, the KrazChaborz for SnowRunner.

Enlarge Image

It's got ten wheels, the front six are driven and steer, the back four can be powered by the AWD. It has always ON diff lock. It has massive power :D. It does have limitations in that it is very long and somewhat wide, so it can't be maneuvered very well in tight spaces. Also it can't mount the low saddle attachment for semi-trailers. And the mod designer decided it should only be nine bucks, with the logic (which I approve of) that the use of the mod is up to the player, so no point in making it expensive as it is really outside the normal gameplay progression.

I use it as a "nuclear option", something I call up only if I really, really need it. Mostly I keep one on each map with the service loadout carrying tires, fuel and repair points. As in the case below, a scout was stuck in the mud and out of gas. Time to call the KrazChaborz!

The other time I use it is when I'm really done with a map, no interest in going back to it. Then I send a KrazChaborz to pick up all the trailers since trailers are worth a lot of money, often more than a mission. It does have the limitation of no low saddle, so it cannot attach most semi-trailers. What I do then is just drag them :wink: to the trailer store and wait till I can send a truck with a saddle low to connect with the trailer and cash it in.
coopasonic

Post by coopasonic »

I don't use any mods and have never bought a truck, but I have 18 in my garage now and still only really use the one. I do try to return trailers for the cash but I think I am sitting at around $200k and since I don't buy trucks it hardly matters.

I think I've finished all of the main objectives in Michigan. I've bounced back and forth between Alaska and Russia. I think I've done all the bridge/pipeline/landslide tasks to the roads and tunnels are open. I just need to focus on the objectives now but I am constantly distracted by random tasks I run across.
-Coop
Black Lives Matter
jztemple2

Post by jztemple2 »

So I'm at 125 hours in the game and still enjoying it. I've now explored all the maps in the basic game, unlocking all the watchtowers and the upgrades. I've done pretty much all the Michigan missions and most of the Alaska ones. In Taymyr I'm really just starting the missions, but because I really like scouting the maps I've also scouted the two maps in the first part of the Year One pass, the Kola Peninsula ones. Really a very different experience.

Today the devs announced the June Winners - Mod Creator Awards!.. There are several cool mods, but the one that caught my eye was the RNG TX Bridge Layer for SnowRunner. This mod works with another of the mods of Rng3r to provide a portable bridge that can be brought to where it is needed.

It really does work, and surprisingly well. It is purchased and attaches as a trailer to the 8x8 RNG TX Armored Truck (which is also required for the bridge layer mod to work). Controls are straightforward. About the only downside is that since the bridge is a trailer in the game it has only one attach point to a truck, so you can't place the bridge, drive over it and then pick it up :cry:. It would however be possible to have a convoy using two of these trucks. The first truck lays the first bridge. The second truck drives over that bridge and then drops the second bridge next to the old one, but from the far side of the obstacle. Then the first truck picks up the first bridge and drives over the obstacle on the second bridge. Finally the second truck picks up the second bridge and they are on their way. Not simple, but doable :wink:. Rng3r says he is trying to figure out how to pick up the bridge from either end and will update the mod if he figures out how :pop:
jztemple2

Post by jztemple2 »

jztemple2

Post by jztemple2 »

With the Season 5 release tomorrow, the first of four parts of Year 2, I thought I'd post a video by SD1ONE showing some of the ramp features.

jztemple2

Post by jztemple2 »

For those who care, Snowrunner Season 9, the start of the Year 3 content, released today. There's also a substantial patch.

jztemple2

Post by jztemple2 »

Haven't played SnowRunner in months, but the new patch motivate me to give it a go. There's some nasty terrain out there!

Unagi

Post by Unagi »

What what the hell are you supposed to do there? Break your wheels off and rebuild on the top of the hill?
Isgrimnur

Post by Isgrimnur »

That just looks like you're feeding trees to the winch.
It's almost as if people are the problem.
jztemple2

Post by jztemple2 »

Unagi wrote: Wed Mar 01, 2023 4:54 pm What what the hell are you supposed to do there? Break your wheels off and rebuild on the top of the hill?
Eventually I backed away and went around a different way.
Unagi

Post by Unagi »

jztemple2 wrote: Wed Mar 01, 2023 5:57 pm
Unagi wrote: Wed Mar 01, 2023 4:54 pm What what the hell are you supposed to do there? Break your wheels off and rebuild on the top of the hill?
Eventually I backed away and went around a different way.
:doh:
Daehawk

Post by Daehawk »

Funny how a tech demo turned into these games. I still wish games like Warthunder or World of Tanks used the mud and stuff from this series. Both those tank games need mud and smoke badly. The engines are just too old I guess. I mean I was in WoT beta like 2010 lol. Need a new modern tank game with particles and all kinds of effects and terrain.
--------------------------------------------
I am Dyslexic of Borg, prepare to have your ass laminated.
I guess Ray Butts has ate his last pancake.
http://steamcommunity.com/id/daehawk
"Has high IQ. Refuses to apply it"
jztemple2

Post by jztemple2 »

This is the KrazChaborz, the only mod vehicle I currently use in SnowRunner. It's huge and awkward but can go most places, as long as it doesn't have too many tight corners :wink:

jztemple2

Post by jztemple2 »

A look at the H2 Hummer in the game, running around on the first map Black River.

jztemple2

Post by jztemple2 »

I'm driving a Caterpillar CT681 with a mounted crane to pick up two metal beams and drop them off so a bridge can be built. One beam is right near the bridge, but the other requires some driving to get to through lot of mud.

jztemple2

Post by jztemple2 »

A quick look at a mod vehicle I like, the GWC BTR 385. It's a scout vehicle that can go a lot of places and looks good doing it.

Unagi

Post by Unagi »

jztemple2 wrote: Wed Mar 01, 2023 6:52 pm as long as it doesn't have too many tight corners :wink:
heh.... Or maybe even 'as long as it doesn't have too many corners' :D

also... I'm never lending you my car.