What are you playing in quarantine? Also, MP invites here..

If it's a video game it goes here.

Moderators: LawBeefaroni, Arcanis, $iljanus

coopasonic

Re: What are you playing in quarantine? Also, MP invites here..

Post by coopasonic »

Ralph-Wiggum wrote: Mon Apr 06, 2020 9:56 am the game has been extremely easy, even though I'm playing on Expert.
D3 has around 17 difficulty levels and expert is like third from the bottom. I haven't played Story mode in years so I don't really remember the progression.
-Coop
Black Lives Matter
Ralph-Wiggum

Post by Ralph-Wiggum »

Haha. Really? I only see five difficulty levels on the PS4: Easy, Normal, Hard, Expert, and Nightmare (?). I guess I can always crank it up to Nightmare, though.
Black Lives Matter
TheMix

Post by TheMix »

Nightmare? Probably Torment. Also, you should be able to scroll to the right. They only show you a handful of difficulties at a time. Until you hit 70, though, I don't think you can bump it above Torment level 6 (a.k.a. "T6").

As coop mentioned, there are a lot. It now goes up to T16. It used to stop at T13. Before that I think it was T10. Every time they do a major patch job and add more Torment levels, they also tweak the characters. So it's likely you are doing WAY more damage now than you were the last time you played.

I pretty much start on Master now. Then I jump to one of the Torment levels as soon as I find a legendary weapon. Usually sometime in the 50's I have to start scaling back a bit. By late 60's, unless I've found a number of good legendaries, I'm generally back to Master.

Black Lives Matter

Isgrimnur - Facebook makes you hate your friends and family. LinkedIn makes you hate you co-workers. NextDoor makes you hate your neighbors.
Ralph-Wiggum

Post by Ralph-Wiggum »

Ah - I guess I never tried moving past the fifth option to see if there were more difficulties available. Who would ever think that "expert" would be one of the lowest difficulty levels? :lol:
Black Lives Matter
YellowKing

Post by YellowKing »

I finished FAR CRY 5, so I got that going for me. I have now completed every Far Cry game, which I believe entitles me to an award or medal of some sort.
Kurth

Post by Kurth »

I had mentioned that I'm running through the Baldur's Gate games (Beamdog's Enhanced Editions on the Switch). Finished BG1 earlier this year and just completed Siege of Dragonspear, which was surprisingly good and made a much needed bridge from BG1 to BG2. Now I'm divining into BG2. I forgot what a massive change of mood that game is, at least in the beginning. So much darker and, frankly, morbid, to start out. Can't wait to break out of the prologue and get into the meat of the game . . . this is depressing!
Just 'cause you feel it, doesn't mean it's there -- Radiohead
Do you believe me? Do you trust me? Do you like me? 😳
Ralph-Wiggum

Post by Ralph-Wiggum »

Apparently all the really hard difficulties is locked. The hardest available is Torment, which I switched to last night. Weirdly, the game is much harder now. :think:
Black Lives Matter
TheMix

Post by TheMix »

Ralph-Wiggum wrote: Tue Apr 07, 2020 10:35 am Apparently all the really hard difficulties is locked. The hardest available is Torment, which I switched to last night. Weirdly, the game is much harder now. :think:
I couldn't remember the specifics. It's likely that T2-T6 don't unlock until you reach level 50, or 60. I'm pretty sure that it's before 70. I ran a second character through the season with a level 70 legendary with unlocked level requirements. I was running T6 for quite a while. Though I don't recall when I kicked it on.

Black Lives Matter

Isgrimnur - Facebook makes you hate your friends and family. LinkedIn makes you hate you co-workers. NextDoor makes you hate your neighbors.
Jag

Post by Jag »

Bouncing through a few games. I'm going to work, so I don't have pandemic game time like some.

Red Dead Redemption 2 on PC.
Got through most of it, but burning out a bit so I'll come back later to finish.

Total War: Warhammer 2 plus a bunch of DLC I got cheap.
I bought TW:WH1 and never played it. Bought WH2 thinking the same thing, but I am completely hooked on 2. The difference is I approach the game more like a 4x rather than a battle simulator which really upped my enjoyment of it. This game is deeply steeped in lore. I don't know anything about WH other than some games I've played, but this one is my favorite by far.

Battlefront 2 + Celebration.
The dev support has been incredible and updates frequent and amazing. This is the only shooter I am playing right now. On a good rig you really feel like you are in a SW movie. Celebration is purely cosmetic, but well worth it.
Example of a battle on the Tantive IV

Darksiders: Genesis.
Fun so far, but the control scheme on the PC is not great. I should use a controller, but can't be bothered.

Age of Wonders: Planetfall.
I love the AOW series and this is sort of the Alpha Centuri of it. It doesn't have the depth of Civ, but it's got enough fun factor to keep me engaged.

Battlestar Galactica.
Haven't spent much time with it, but it's a Homeworld type space combat sim with a campaign.
$iljanus
Forum Moderator

Post by $iljanus »

Along with enjoying the Russian post apocalyptic countryside in Metro Exodus I just bought Sniper Elite 4 and I’m basking in the sun from a prone sniper position on an island off the Italian coast. It’s rather relaxing marking off my targets, taking my time and killing Nazis along with blowing up trucks and causing mayhem.
Black lives matter!

Wise words of warning from Smoove B: Oh, how you all laughed when I warned you about the semen. Well, who's laughing now?
Cylus Maxii

Post by Cylus Maxii »

Yeah. Sniper Elite 4 is a ton of fun. I've been going back through it co-op a bit the last few months.

Mostly, we're still playing ARK. I am currently breeding up Tek T-rexs and normal ones too. We need to go beat the bosses and then load up another map. Currently we have a cluster of two servers. One has Ragnarok map, and will be the steady base-building area. It has harvest amounts turned up a bit, but xp for both harvesting and crafting is at like 20% to offset this. The second server map is currently The Island and we'll be going through the DLC maps in order. At least that's the plan. I've never actually got around to doing boss battles in ARK before.

I am tempted to take an ARK break and go back to RDR2. Or maybe, if I get sent home to work, I'll fire up Witcher 3 and try to get all of the way through it without getting totally side-tracked by side missions and forget the plot, again.
Last edited by Cylus Maxii on Thu Apr 09, 2020 9:03 am, edited 1 time in total.
My nephew, Jake - "I mean is there really anything more pure? Than sweet zombie monkey love?"
NickAragua

Post by NickAragua »

Been plowing through the Mad Max game. As I figured, I'm kind of running out of gas - the assassin's creed style open world gameplay doesn't agree with me for some reason. It's fun driving around and ramming cars, but having to get out every five seconds to pick up random scrap is kind of boring. But needs to happen to upgrade the car so it doesn't blow up from a stiff breeze.

Also, they really needed to set the corpse/car/debris disappearance timer way higher, it's a little crazy how stuff evaporates the second it leaves my field of view (and some times before then).
Black Lives Matter
Alefroth

Post by Alefroth »

ESO, AC: Syndicate, and Borderlands 3.
Jeff V

Post by Jeff V »

Actually, I'm playing Teacher. It's a not-so-fun game that involves guiding my son through a scattered curriculum of links to various online resources, half which required credentials to log into, after putting in a full day at the office. There is no winners in this game, just exhaustion at the end of every session.
Black Lives Matter
NickAragua

Post by NickAragua »

Jeff V wrote: Wed Apr 08, 2020 3:58 pm Actually, I'm playing Teacher. It's a not-so-fun game that involves guiding my son through a scattered curriculum of links to various online resources, half which required credentials to log into, after putting in a full day at the office. There is no winners in this game, just exhaustion at the end of every session.
Yeah, I think my wife is playing that. Judging by the amount of screaming, I'm not really sure who's winning.
Black Lives Matter
Jeff V

Post by Jeff V »

NickAragua wrote: Wed Apr 08, 2020 4:10 pm
Jeff V wrote: Wed Apr 08, 2020 3:58 pm Actually, I'm playing Teacher. It's a not-so-fun game that involves guiding my son through a scattered curriculum of links to various online resources, half which required credentials to log into, after putting in a full day at the office. There is no winners in this game, just exhaustion at the end of every session.
Yeah, I think my wife is playing that. Judging by the amount of screaming, I'm not really sure who's winning.
My wife is complaining about me screaming. She's trying to sleep when I'm playing this game.
Black Lives Matter
Blackhawk

Post by Blackhawk »

I fired up Bard's Tale 4, but it really isn't clicking yet. Admittedly I'm not far in, but it doesn't seem to be scratching the RPG itch I have.
(˙pǝsɹǝʌǝɹ uǝǝq sɐɥ ʎʇıʌɐɹƃ ʃɐuosɹǝd ʎW)
Sawyer

Post by Sawyer »

NickAragua wrote: Wed Apr 08, 2020 3:03 pm Been plowing through the Mad Max game. As I figured, I'm kind of running out of gas - the assassin's creed style open world gameplay doesn't agree with me for some reason. It's fun driving around and ramming cars, but having to get out every five seconds to pick up random scrap is kind of boring. But needs to happen to upgrade the car so it doesn't blow up from a stiff breeze.

Also, they really needed to set the corpse/car/debris disappearance timer way higher, it's a little crazy how stuff evaporates the second it leaves my field of view (and some times before then).
Running out of gas? No pun intended? You can get the scrappers that pickup the scrap for you. That was the first thing I did when going to a new zone.

After finishing MM I've moved on to Division 2, not the expansion. I owned the base D2 and played it with some friends, but never finished it after opening up the second wave. I'm amazed at the number of changes. Enjoying my time while I keep an eye on M&B.
Zaxxon
Forum Moderator

Post by Zaxxon »

Since the kids and I are going to be spending a ton of time together, I jumped into Animal Crossing: New Horizons. My first AC foray.

We're all hooked, and even my wife likes running around collecting fruit from trees. This iteration has a feature/limitation that each Switch gets exactly one island, and all players share it. It's gotten excoriated for this from the more hardcore crowd, but it's worked in the game's favor in our household as I can easily help my kids with their homes.

My only complaint so far is that the first person to have booted up the game is the 'citizen representative,' and is therefore the only one who can advance island-wide progress. Not ideal when that's your 8-year old. This is un-alterable unless we scrap the whole island and all of our characters. I'm hopeful that they'll patch in a way to hand off the baton.

Oh, and still hooked on Slay the Spire. I've bought it on two platforms and I think it's up there with Guild Wars and Defense Grid for most hours played per dollar spent for me. Aside from the UT series which will likely never he topped for me.
JCC

Post by JCC »

Instead of getting back to Fallen Order, I instead foolishly subbed for 2 months of Star Wars the Old Republic so I can replay through the class missions which I have already done multiple times. (I just hate the Souls mechanics of Fallen Order. They need a "super easy" difficulty for dopes like me.) Been slogging through the Jedi Knight being as evil as possible - which isn't enough frankly. Not enough dark options in this storyline. Some amusing moments though.
Black Lives Matter

"You know, the very powerful and the very stupid have one thing in common: they don't alter their views to fit the facts; they alter the facts to fit their views." - The 4th Doctor
Skinypupy

Post by Skinypupy »

Zaxxon wrote: Thu Apr 09, 2020 12:58 am My only complaint so far is that the first person to have booted up the game is the 'citizen representative,' and is therefore the only one who can advance island-wide progress. Not ideal when that's your 8-year old. This is un-alterable unless we scrap the whole island and all of our characters. I'm hopeful that they'll patch in a way to hand off the baton.
Here's the other problem. I'm the "citizen representative" for our island. Problem is, I've lost interest in AC and don't really have any desire to play. So now my kids - who are still absolutely loving it - are stuck on the island's progression unless they a) play on my character (which they don't really want to do because they've spent so much time building their own) or b) I come back and play again. Everyone else is entirely at the mercy of the one player who started the island, which sucks.

It's still baffling to me just how poorly MP is implemented for such a wildly popular game.
When darkness veils the world, four Warriors of Light shall come.
LawBeefaroni
Forum Moderator

Post by LawBeefaroni »

Dug out the Wii U and Disney Infinity is getting a second life with the kids. The 9-yo can actually play now and the 3.5 yo is in the "it's fun to run around and punch stuff" phase. Cannot believe we kept all those infinity figures but glad we did. Grants us 20 minute segments of peace here and there.
" Hey OP, listen to my advice alright." -Tha General
"No scientific discovery is named after its original discoverer." -Stigler's Law of Eponymy, discovered by Robert K. Merton

MYT
pr0ner

Post by pr0ner »

Let's see. So far, I have:

1) Finally finished Uncharted 4
2) Gotten through 9 Colossi on Shadow of the Colossus
3) Started up the new God of War (probably played 90 minutes ish?)
4) Finished Broforce for the 2nd time (this time on hard difficulty)
5) Played some Warzone in Call of Duty: Modern Warfare
6) Finally started playing Fortnite

I guess I'm keeping busy with gaming.
Hodor.
Zaxxon
Forum Moderator

Post by Zaxxon »

Skinypupy wrote:
Zaxxon wrote: Thu Apr 09, 2020 12:58 am My only complaint so far is that the first person to have booted up the game is the 'citizen representative,' and is therefore the only one who can advance island-wide progress. Not ideal when that's your 8-year old. This is un-alterable unless we scrap the whole island and all of our characters. I'm hopeful that they'll patch in a way to hand off the baton.
Here's the other problem. I'm the "citizen representative" for our island. Problem is, I've lost interest in AC and don't really have any desire to play. So now my kids - who are still absolutely loving it - are stuck on the island's progression unless they a) play on my character (which they don't really want to do because they've spent so much time building their own) or b) I come back and play again. Everyone else is entirely at the mercy of the one player who started the island, which sucks.

It's still baffling to me just how poorly MP is implemented for such a wildly popular game.
Exactly. I don't even mind that they've tied the progression dialog/tasks to one character. That probably greatly simplified development. But at least allow for handing off that flag.
Lassr

Post by Lassr »

Played some Rollercoaster Tycoon Adventures. Loved the original RCT game back when it came out, this one is fun for a bit. Playing Sandbox Career and its fun to start but creating my own rollercoaster just doesn't have the excitement like it used to so I end up using the canned ones. I've grown a park to nearly full size but losing my enthusiasm now. Time to move on to another game.
The only reason people get lost in thought is because it's unfamiliar territory.

Black Lives Matter
Anonymous Bosch

Post by Anonymous Bosch »

I decided to delve back into Divinity: Original Sin II. Man, I'd forgotten just how much I enjoyed its crunchy, tactical, turn-based combat and immersive RPG goodness.

This video sums it up aptly:

"There is only one basic human right, the right to do as you damn well please. And with it comes the only basic human duty, the duty to take the consequences." — P. J. O'Rourke
Skinypupy

Post by Skinypupy »

Tonight at midnight, Final Fantasy VII Remake unlocks on PS4.

FF VII is my favorite game of all time, and is pretty much solely responsible for me becoming a gamer. It was the first game that every really hooked me, and the first time I've ever seen storytelling, character building, or big open-world games before (before that, I mostly just stuck to sports and action games). It completely transformed everything I thought video games could be, and opened up the door to a hobby that I only had mild interest in before.

I have multiple shelves full of FF VII action figures. The "Victory Theme" is the ringtone on my phone. There's a Shinra banner hanging from my wall. I've purchased the game on at least 5 different platforms, and played through it 4 times. The soundtrack plays as background music while I work at least once a week. I played the game so much when it came out, that my Mom literally renamed it "Get A Life" ("You down there playing 'Get A Life' again?").

So to say that I'm excited for this game would be a massive understatement. Frankly, I'm not sure I've looked forward to playing a game this much since...literally ever. I took the day off work and asked Mrs. Skinypupy if she'd be OK with me locking myself in my office all day to play (after rolling her eyes, she agreed). I fully expect to be in a state of nostalgia-fueled gaming bliss tomorrow, if all the glowing reviews are even remotely accurate.

For your listening pleasure:

Also, I finished my first game of 2020 tonight, the last Thief game (from 2014). I've now beaten each of the Thief games at least twice, three times for Thief 3.

As mentioned upthread, I really kinda wish it hadn't have been sold as a Thief game. As an intense stealth-oriented action game, I think it's a blast. It's just not massive, sprawling, open-world Thief, which is what everyone wanted. And it meant that everyone expecting that sort of Thief hated it. I totally get that, but also think that it's a very fun game in it's own right. I suspect that if it had been sold as something other than a reboot of the Thief series, it would have been far better received. Unfortunately, that misstep has now killed the series, which sucks.
When darkness veils the world, four Warriors of Light shall come.
YellowKing

Post by YellowKing »

I've been messing around with MY TIME AT PORTIA, which is available through Xbox Game Pass and is also on sale on Steam for $12.

It's a really fun little crafting/farming/ simulation game in which your character arrives in the town of Portia and must establish a workshop. To do so, you can harvest resources, build various workbenches, take on crafting consignments from townfolk, complete missions, etc.

The one thing I'm enjoying is that there is a LOT of progression. One early quest requires you to build a bridge. But to build the bridge piece, you'll need a sawmill to cut planks. But to build the sawmill you'll need a grinder to make saw blades. But to make the grinder you'll need a smelter, etc. You never feel like you don't have something you're working towards.

There's also a nice RPG element in that you're gaining XP that you can put into various skill trees. You gain XP from doing just about anything, so again, that sense of progression is always there like a carrot on a stick.

It has a really bright and colorful Disney-esque aesthetic that is soothing to play. I've quite enjoyed the couple of hours I've spent with it so far. I don't have Animal Crossing yet, so this is a great (and much cheaper) substitute for the time being.
Isgrimnur

Post by Isgrimnur »

There’s a hole in my bucket, dear Liza, dear Liza

There’s a hole in my bucket, dear Liza, a hole.
It's almost as if people are the problem.
Rumpy

Post by Rumpy »

YellowKing wrote: Fri Apr 10, 2020 9:34 am I'
It's a really fun little crafting/farming/ simulation game in which your character arrives in the town of Portia and must establish a workshop. To do so, you can harvest resources, build various workbenches, take on crafting consignments from townfolk, complete missions, etc.
I've had my eye on that one for a while. Do you feel it has similarities to Stardew Valley?
PC:
Ryzen 5 3600
32GB RAM
2x1TB NVMe Drives
GTX 1660 Ti
YellowKing

Post by YellowKing »

Rumpy wrote:I've had my eye on that one for a while. Do you feel it has similarities to Stardew Valley?
Yes, it definitely has the same vibe, just more advanced graphically. At least early on it feels slightly more compelling to me than Stardew due to the RPG elements.

The only slight nitpick I have so far is that it takes some time for things to craft. Need to make a load of copper bars? Prepare to have them smelting for several hours (game time, not real time). You can sleep to advance time, but you'll probably choose instead to take advantage of each day's events, shop hours, etc. Fortunately there's so much to do it's rarely a big deal, but it is something to be aware of.
LordMortis

Post by LordMortis »

I've been obsessive in spectacular screw ups in Crusader Kings II vanilla.
raydude

Post by raydude »

After watching Star Trek Discovery on my free CBS month I checked out Star Trek Online on a whim. Found out there is a storyline in the Discovery timeline and just had to play it.

It’s pretty cool so far. Tilly is in it and it’s a change of pace to be in a Starfleet on the losing side.

Also just received the Final Fantasy 7 remake and playing through the initial assault on the mako reactor. I’m loving how the game flows smoothly in and out of combat. So far so good.
Hyena

Post by Hyena »

YellowKing wrote: Fri Apr 10, 2020 4:59 pm
Rumpy wrote:I've had my eye on that one for a while. Do you feel it has similarities to Stardew Valley?
Yes, it definitely has the same vibe, just more advanced graphically. At least early on it feels slightly more compelling to me than Stardew due to the RPG elements.

The only slight nitpick I have so far is that it takes some time for things to craft. Need to make a load of copper bars? Prepare to have them smelting for several hours (game time, not real time). You can sleep to advance time, but you'll probably choose instead to take advantage of each day's events, shop hours, etc. Fortunately there's so much to do it's rarely a big deal, but it is something to be aware of.
Sounds vaguely like that game The Guild: 1800. Any similarities? I always started the game as a blacksmith, then would work my way up through other professions an establish a monopoly on just about every other job on town. Then I'd find an old widow to marry who had money...LOL
"You laugh at me because I'm different; I laugh at you because you're all the same." ~Jonathan Davis

"The object of education is to prepare the young to educate themselves throughout their lives." ~Robert M. Hutchins
Hyena

Post by Hyena »

Double post
"You laugh at me because I'm different; I laugh at you because you're all the same." ~Jonathan Davis

"The object of education is to prepare the young to educate themselves throughout their lives." ~Robert M. Hutchins
Ralph-Wiggum

Post by Ralph-Wiggum »

I beat the main story line in Diablo 3 over the weekend. I started playing some in "adventure" mode, but I really have no idea what's going on. Random people who are literally 1000 (paragon) levels higher than me will just pop into my game and one hit everyone. I'm not really sure what they're getting out of it, but it has gotten me some good loot at least.

I'm not really sure now though whether I should continue playing in adventure mode with my main guy or if I should try it out a new class. I don't know really understand how the seasons work or how long they run, though: if I start a new alt in the season, does that alt disappear when the season ends? What benefits are there to playing "within" the season rather than just doing story mode with a new character? It seems like there are so many options and I really don't get what half of them do...
Black Lives Matter
TheMix

Post by TheMix »

Ralph-Wiggum wrote: Mon Apr 13, 2020 9:20 am I beat the main story line in Diablo 3 over the weekend. I started playing some in "adventure" mode, but I really have no idea what's going on. Random people who are literally 1000 (paragon) levels higher than me will just pop into my game and one hit everyone. I'm not really sure what they're getting out of it, but it has gotten me some good loot at least.

I'm not really sure now though whether I should continue playing in adventure mode with my main guy or if I should try it out a new class. I don't know really understand how the seasons work or how long they run, though: if I start a new alt in the season, does that alt disappear when the season ends? What benefits are there to playing "within" the season rather than just doing story mode with a new character? It seems like there are so many options and I really don't get what half of them do...
The main benefit to running a Season character is that you will get a full set of gear (though only for the first season character). A secondary benefit is being able to get an extra stash tab (though you do have to work a bit for that one).
The Season character does not disappear. The character will be converted to a regular non-season character at the end of the season.
Seasons generally run about 3 months, I believe.
The main 2 things to do in Adventure mode are: 1) bounties, and 2) rifts (Nephalem/"regular" or Greater)

Reminder:
Nephalem rifts will drop keys for Greater rifts. The higher level Torments will drop more keys.
Greater rifts will drop the special gems. And let you increase the levels of those gems. (Oh, and completing higher GRs will let you collect more blood shards to spend for missing gear.)

It's definitely worth playing the other characters. They all play very differently. And the sets play differently as well.
It's also worth pushing a character to higher performance levels since that will help you outfit later characters. (By allowing you to collect gear, gold, blood shards, keys, etc. faster.)

Black Lives Matter

Ralph-Wiggum

Post by Ralph-Wiggum »

Ok. That helps. Any suggestions on fun classes to play? My main alt was a Demon Hunter. Haven't really tried anything else yet.
Black Lives Matter
Scraper

Post by Scraper »

So far I have racked up:

Borderlands the Pre Sequel (Beat it on PS4)
Borderlands 3 Moxxi DLC and Sir Hammerlock DLC (finished both on PS4)
Fifa 20 (I'm working on both my career as a forward for the Crew and my FUT)
Far Cry New Dawn (Beat it on PS4)
Borderlands 1 (I bought this because it was on sale and I didn't have it on PS4)
Zelda Link's Awakening (Playing this when my kids let go of the Switch, which isn't very often)
Control (I got to what I think is the final boss, wiped a couple of times, finally beat him only to have the game crash, this happened to me twice in a row. I haven't gone back and probably won't)
Final Fantasy 7 Remake
FTE
Blackhawk

Post by Blackhawk »

I've played a lot of Borderlands 3, mostly with the kids, and I'm still working on Conan: Exiles. Conan is fun, but I'm honestly not sure what to do. I'm level 40, I have a large base full of thralls and pets, and I should probably be somewhere else by now (I'm in the desert where the three rivers meet.) There are all sorts of other areas, but zero guidance as to what is appropriate at any particular level, and they make travel so onerous that experimentation isn't as much fun as it should be. There is no fast travel except, apparently, at the end game. That means that if you walk for an hour, find needed stuff, you have to turn around and walk an hour back to put it away. That seriously discourages long-range exploration by adding an element of tedium to it. The fact that you can only have one stationary spawn point doesn't help either.I may just make a 'personal rule' that I can admin teleport myself to my bases, so if I explore to, say, the swamp, build an outpost there, I will allow myself to teleport back to my main base and then back to my outpost.

I am getting tired of sand and hyenas, though.
(˙pǝsɹǝʌǝɹ uǝǝq sɐɥ ʎʇıʌɐɹƃ ʃɐuosɹǝd ʎW)