[PC] New World

If it's a video game it goes here.

Moderators: LawBeefaroni, Arcanis, $iljanus

Isgrimnur

[PC] New World

Post by Isgrimnur »

New World
Be one of the first people to set foot on a mysterious continent, join a Company and work together to claim territories, build thriving settlements, fight off player bandits, and push back the dark and wild forces that occupy the land to leave your mark on history. Adventure, exploration, and opportunity await you on Tera Vitae Aeternum.
Alpha signups available.
It's almost as if people are the problem.
Daehawk

Re: [PC] New World

Post by Daehawk »

The only way to sign up for the alpha is to sign in with my Amazon account. I am not linking my Amazon account to some company.
--------------------------------------------
I am Dyslexic of Borg, prepare to have your ass laminated.
I guess Ray Butts has ate his last pancake.
http://steamcommunity.com/id/daehawk
"Has high IQ. Refuses to apply it"
Blackhawk

Post by Blackhawk »

That's because it is run through Amazon's game launcher.
(˙pǝsɹǝʌǝɹ uǝǝq sɐɥ ʎʇıʌɐɹƃ ʃɐuosɹǝd ʎW)
Suitably Ironic Moniker

Post by Suitably Ironic Moniker »

That’s because it’s being published by Amazon.
When I was a boy, I laid in my twin-sized bed and wondered where my brother was. - Mitch Hedberg
Paingod

Post by Paingod »

Can't wait to see the first Amazon reviews. 10/10, would give the natives blankets again!
Black Lives Matter

2021-01-20: The first good night's sleep I had in 4 years.
Isgrimnur

Post by Isgrimnur »

Paingod wrote: Wed May 01, 2019 10:10 am Can't wait to see the first Amazon reviews. 10/10, would give the natives blankets again!
Go write it.
coopasonic

Post by coopasonic »

fight off player bandits
I was going to say that makes it an instant no, then I remembered how much fun I had with Conan which has the same idea, so maybe.
-Coop
Black Lives Matter
Lordnine

Post by Lordnine »

How is the building like in this game? The idea of building an awesome fortress while the rest of my colony goes off to war is appealing but I'm not sure I would care to go fight myself. :)
Isgrimnur

Post by Isgrimnur »

Odds are good that I will play it for an hour or so, then turn it over to my wife for detailed investigation.
Hyena

Post by Hyena »

Games like this have always frustrated me. I think it would be really cool to go raid a player's base, to fight against other people, etc., but then I remember how much it would suck to have someone else come in and wreck my shit that I've spent hours upon hours designing and building.

So then I go back to Grim Dawn or Diablo 3 or Battletech. Hell, I've even recently started back into DDO.
"You laugh at me because I'm different; I laugh at you because you're all the same." ~Jonathan Davis

"The object of education is to prepare the young to educate themselves throughout their lives." ~Robert M. Hutchins
Isgrimnur

Post by Isgrimnur »

Looks right up my wife's alley.
Formix

Post by Formix »

Is a a re-imagining of Seven Cities of Gold? If not, then, not interested.
coopasonic

Post by coopasonic »

Formix wrote: Thu May 02, 2019 9:29 am Is a a re-imagining of Seven Cities of Gold? If not, then, not interested.
That was my first thought as well... it's only been about 30 years.

I would like to see a game that effectively encourages specialization. In most of these games you are able do it all, or at least enough of it that you don't need others. On the other hand, I want to solo... so confused.
-Coop
Black Lives Matter
LordMortis

Post by LordMortis »

Formix wrote: Thu May 02, 2019 9:29 am Is a a re-imagining of Seven Cities of Gold? If not, then, not interested.
The title catches my attention rooted in such things. I think 7CoG has inspired many purchases for me. I can still hear drum beats
Isgrimnur

Post by Isgrimnur »

Up for pre-order, $40, release date in May.
Baroquen

Post by Baroquen »

I'm interested in this one, but am definitely waiting for reviews first.
Isgrimnur

Post by Isgrimnur »

You can sign up for the beta to get an early look at it. Pre-orders also qualify.
Redfive

Post by Redfive »

Awesome game. One of my favorites as a kid.

Will never be re-made. At least not a straight re-make without some design changes.

Even the abstract 'popping' sound the natives would make when you 'bumped into them' would never fly in today's climate.
Battle.net: red51ve#1673
Elder Scrolls Online - @redfive
Isgrimnur

Post by Isgrimnur »

Alpha is up still, about 300 players a night on the one server. Wife finally got her own key and roped me back into it. I’m actually enjoying it, which surprises her, as I bounced off of Conan and Last Oasis.
coopasonic

Post by coopasonic »

Got a key for the New World Preview and played with it for an hour this morning. It feels a lot like every other action combat RPG ever. I only played for an hour and have no idea what is happening because I ain't got time to read all the quest giver has to say, and he has a lot to say. Just tell me what to kill or collect!

Anyway it looks pretty good. The combat is pretty smooth.

I don't see anything that has me dying to pay for the experience but I'll give it some more time this weekend.
-Coop
Black Lives Matter
Sepiche

Post by Sepiche »

This snuck up on me, and I've been feeling like an MMO again lately, so I gave it a shot.

Combat, as mentioned, is pretty actiony, but feels good if a little unbalanced. As far as melee weapons go I've tried the sword and shield and the hatchet, and the hatchet's speed seems to make it own enemies pretty handily, although that could just be because most enemies are weak to it as I have a little more trouble against enemies with shields. Melee seems to be much better than ranged right now, but ranged has it's uses.

Beyond that, the world is beautiful, the crafting system is well thought out and fun, and the faction warfare is ewll designed and reminds me a lot of a more formalized version of the RvR from Dark Age of Camelot. The world is divided into regions with a central town and fort, and factions can declare war to take over a province which will schedule a battle at a set time where both sides will meet on a battlefield and the winner gains control of the province.

Provinces can be improved via group quests and laws changed to change things like taxes which I believe go to the company (guild) that controls the region.

There are also NPC faction invasions that happen at set times as well where the province owners have to beat back the invasion.

All in all there seems to be a lot to do once you reach max level and plenty of PVP action for those that like that. I probably won't play a ton more of the beta, but I'll likely play this once it comes out as my MMO de jour for a while.
Daehawk

Post by Daehawk »

Delayed until fall 2021. Smells like failure. I hope not because I want a new MMO to play but am sick of all of whats out there.

https://www.newworld.com/en-us/news/art ... per-update
We’ve been hard at work on compelling end-game features we believe are important to include at launch. These features won’t be ready for the Spring timeframe that we had communicated. With that in mind, we will release New World on August 31, 2021. With this extra time we’ll be able to add these substantial improvements while polishing and fine tuning the whole game before we open Aeternum’s shores to the world.
AlexNillson89

Post by AlexNillson89 »

Sad to say that this is probably something that will get me immersed for a couple of days and after the awe stops... I don't think there would be much left.
soulbringer

Post by soulbringer »

I long for the days of "Train to Blackburrow entrance"
Daehawk

Post by Daehawk »

soulbringer wrote: Thu Feb 18, 2021 8:27 pm I long for the days of "Train to Blackburrow entrance"
That wasn't my fault! I had to get my corpse.
Isgrimnur

Post by Isgrimnur »

Daehawk

Post by Daehawk »

rittchard

Post by rittchard »

This enters closed beta today but anyone who pre-ordered should receive a beta key. Im expecting a clusterf- but I'll post here about any details in case anyone wants to meet up.
YellowKing

Post by YellowKing »

I'm really torn about this one. I played the alpha quite a bit and enjoy the setting and a lot of the mechanics, but at the same time it never really got its hooks in me to the point I wanted to play daily.
Daehawk

Post by Daehawk »

Ive had no game play with this..haven't kept up a ton on it. Personally Im interested in it more than any other MMO to come. But Im also left with two thoughts on it..Im surprised they've put so much money into an MMO these days when their glory days seem to me to be behind them. And two Im a little surprised its not been cancelled. I dont feel theres enough interest in a new MMO to warrant one. But I wish it luck because I want to play it. Im burnt out on every other mmo out there.

Ive been considering a return to SWTOR but Ive max lvled every class and gained Legendary status. ive got 3 pages of character so maybe 25 characters. Not much left to do if anything. Just reply stuff over and over.
rittchard

Post by rittchard »

Judging by the number of people in the closed beta and all the server queues, I'd say there is still significant interest in a successful "open world" MMO - I'm not sure how Conan fared but it seems like after 20+ years there still hasn't been a really strong answer to the open world Shadowbane/PvP fans.

I have to say I was honestly very surprised by how impressed I was. I've been pretty jaded on the new MMOs I've tried, but this one, so far at least, has impressed me at every turn from the opening moment you get into the game. It's all the same systems you expect: gathering, crafting, combat. Skills level on a usage system, which I really like. But it's all done really seamlessly and it just feels smooth for lack of a better word. The game engine is gorgeous and seems to handle a lot of people on screen without problems.

But most importantly, you get the sense you are playing for something bigger from the getgo, not the simple "grind/quest/level to max to get to endgame" model that seems to be inherent in every recent MMO. Within the first couple of hours you have to choose 1 of 3 factions, and that will help guide you on on your way (hopefully) to being a part of something larger, if you so choose. Once you are in a faction, you can join a guild (called Company here) and then start on goals like controlling areas for buffs, etc. This all starts pretty much immediately, and I saw plenty of people turning their PvP flags on and fighting starting at levels 5 and above. I thought I was in the tutorial town but a couple hours in the yellow faction took control over the area and all the buffs I had been accumulating (xp, crafting, gathering boosts, etc) were removed. That does not mean you HAVE to get involved; they've included an ample amount of PvE quests and activities as well. But you definitely start to feel that sense of "heyyyy stupid yellow guilds, this is my turf!" and want to reclaim it, or go elsewhere and claim your own. I'm excited to get back in today to see how the landscape has changed.

Now of course I've only played around 4 hours in beta, so it's still very early. But everything I've seen so far has impressed me, and that's saying a lot because all of the recent forays I've had ended in one disappointment or another. I'll follow up after beta is over to see if I still feel the same.
Daehawk

Post by Daehawk »

Been watching it played on Twitch. Strikes me as a cross of ESO and Ultima. The archery really shouted ESO to me.
YellowKing

Post by YellowKing »

Yeah, who am I kidding, I'll likely get it. With the "death" of MMOs, I've contented myself for years bouncing back and forth between FFXIV and WoW. The faction stuff does sound interesting, and it's something I never really got a taste of in alpha so I'd like to see that in action.

I also think that part of my lackluster desire to play in alpha was due to the constant character wipes and limited server uptimes. It's hard to get hooked on an MMO when you know any character advancement is all for naught.

Re: the archery, it was one of my favorite things about the game. I really enjoyed archery combat and that's likely what I'll roll with. I also enjoyed the lack of character classes - you just play how you want, and that's what you level up in. I've always liked that style of organic advancement.

I'm going to wait for retail rather than pre-order though, as I don't have any interest in going through yet another character wipe. :D
hepcat

Post by hepcat »

Hopefully you’re not playing it on an RTX 3090
He won. Period.
Victoria Raverna

Post by Victoria Raverna »

Probably better stop playing this game until they figured out what killed GPU cards. There are now report of the game bricked other GPUs not just RTX 3090.
hepcat

Post by hepcat »

:doh:
He won. Period.
rittchard

Post by rittchard »

I have no idea what's up with that GPU frying - I'm on a 3080, playing 4K at high settings and it looks fantastic. And my fan almost never turns on, which is surprising because it goes on for lots of other games.

Here's a few early screenies btw:

Daehawk

Post by Daehawk »

Ive seen it said it burns out the fan controller.
rittchard

Post by rittchard »

OK after some hesitation, The Wanderers are officially going to dust off our boots and join the fray for New World release. If you're already in the guild, stop on by the website and feel free to join our Discord where we discuss important guild business like who has the cutest dog. If you haven't joined in the past and are interested in playing New World with us, you can also sign up and I'll get you approved asap, just mention you are coming from OO. Website is here:

www.the-wanderers-guild.com
noxiousdog

Post by noxiousdog »

rittchard wrote: Wed Jul 28, 2021 12:38 pm OK after some hesitation, The Wanderers are officially going to dust off our boots and join the fray for New World release. If you're already in the guild, stop on by the website and feel free to join our Discord where we discuss important guild business like who has the cutest dog. If you haven't joined in the past and are interested in playing New World with us, you can also sign up and I'll get you approved asap, just mention you are coming from OO. Website is here:

www.the-wanderers-guild.com
I'm in.
Black Lives Matter

"To wield Grond, the mighty hammer of the Federal Government, is to be intoxicated with power beyond what you and I can reckon (though I figure we can ball park it pretty good with computers and maths). Need to tunnel through a mountain? Grond. Kill a mighty ogre? Grond. Hangnail? Grond. Spider? Grond (actually, that's a legit use, moreso than the rest)." - Peacedog