Pathfinder: Kingmaker with Chris Avellone

If it's a video game it goes here.

Moderators: LawBeefaroni, Arcanis, $iljanus

NickAragua

Re: Pathfinder: Kingmaker with Chris Avellone

Post by NickAragua »

The companion banter during camping is pretty good, but it's all pretty tame stuff - they mostly get along ok with each other. Unlike the guys in Dragon Age or Pillars of Eternity who sound like they'd be shanking each other if the main character wasn't keeping them in line.
Black Lives Matter
Daehawk

Post by Daehawk »

Ya I know about resting. Usually its just to replenish spells. But here it forces you to rest or you walk slow and cant fight well and all kinds of stuff. And the forced rest comes SO often. Its like every 1 inch of map travel that gets you nowhere. In all other games Im not forced to rest. I rest when I want to to heal and get spells back. My choosing. And I can travel as far as I want .
Last edited by Daehawk on Tue Feb 18, 2020 4:19 pm, edited 1 time in total.
--------------------------------------------
I am Dyslexic of Borg, prepare to have your ass laminated.
I guess Ray Butts has ate his last pancake.
http://steamcommunity.com/id/daehawk
"Has high IQ. Refuses to apply it"
Blackhawk

Post by Blackhawk »

It's there in a lot of games, just not so obviously. In Baldur's Gate 1/2 you had a Fatigue score. It built up when you were playing, and it built up when you were traveling long distances (cross a significant portion of the map and every character would complain about being tired.) That penalty started at -1 to everything, then -2 after 20 minutes, all the way up to like -90 (on a system based on a 1-20 range.)
(˙pǝsɹǝʌǝɹ uǝǝq sɐɥ ʎʇıʌɐɹƃ ʃɐuosɹǝd ʎW)
NickAragua

Post by NickAragua »

There are a couple of things that improve your endurance in overland travel:

1) Up the party's constitution.
2) Cook "galt ragout" or "cheese crostata" (there may be others)
3) ignore the fatigue icons until the popup comes up
4) Pretty sure there's a setting that lets you turn off fatigue
Black Lives Matter
Anonymous Bosch

Post by Anonymous Bosch »

The Rest Less - Slower Weariness mod (part of the Bag Of Tricks mod) ought to do the trick:
NexusMods.com wrote:The mods adds the option to set a multiplier for the time until the party starts becoming fatigued ranging from 0.1 to 30.
If you prefer higher or lower values you can set your own multiplier (note that only points [.] can be used as a decimal separator).
A value below 1 will cause the party to gain fatigue faster.
Rest Less - Slower Weariness is now part of the Bag Of Tricks mod!

Install & Use
  1. Install the Unity Mod Manager.
  2. Extract the archive to your game's mod folder (e.g. '\Steam\steamapps\common\Pathfinder Kingmaker\Mods').
  3. Open the Unity Mod Manager by pressing CTRL + F10.
  4. Adjust the multiplier in the mod's menu.
"There is only one basic human right, the right to do as you damn well please. And with it comes the only basic human duty, the duty to take the consequences." — P. J. O'Rourke
coopasonic

Post by coopasonic »

I finally started this last night as I was running out of things to do in Monster Hunter. I got to the spider swarms. I don't have any magic user.

My party is the NPC Berserker, Fighter, Bard and my Druid with a pet wolf. No AoE spells at all. I have a couple torches with 1 fire damage and a handful of AoE throwables (that always miss). Not making a good impression.
-Coop
Black Lives Matter
NickAragua

Post by NickAragua »

Spider swarms are pretty awful for low-level characters to deal with. My suggestion is to leave that area and come back when you have a full six party and a couple more levels under your belt.
Black Lives Matter
coopasonic

Post by coopasonic »

I guess I can roll back to a save at the trading post and see about filling the party out with mercs... or yeah just go elsewhere initially. I know pretty close to nothing about Pathfinder so it will be... interesting regardless.
-Coop
Black Lives Matter
NickAragua

Post by NickAragua »

It's basically 3rd edition D&D.

There's no time limit on that quest from what I recall, so you can march around the wilderness to your heart's content and do other stuff until you're ready to come back to that area. There are several other places I've encountered that were like that (for example, a giant, fire-breathing critter, but not a dragon, that fried my whole group with a single breath. A few levels later, I came back with group-level fire protection spells and cold iron weapons and kicked its ass, then looted the lair.)

I have to say that this is a long freaking game. I've gone through probably about four distinct "main quest series", and it just... keeps going. Luckily, I've got my man Ekundayo with his killer bow skills, Octavia with her fireballs and pit spells, and Nok-Nok, my little stabby goblin buddy, plus a choice of two clerics (and a "free" slot), so I can plow through most fights without too much trouble, especially once we buff up.

BTW, word of advice, if you *are* going to create more mercenaries, you should make sure to do it sooner rather than later. The higher your level, the more expensive they are - at 1st or 2nd level, it's pretty cheap, but I had to create one at 12th level because one of my kingdom advisors went AWOL... ~75k gold! In retrospect, it was a waste, as I brought the advisor back within a couple of weeks. But yeah.
Black Lives Matter
Paingod

Post by Paingod »

NickAragua wrote: Mon Mar 02, 2020 12:42 pm(for example, a giant, fire-breathing critter, but not a dragon, that fried my whole group with a single breath. A few levels later, I came back with group-level fire protection spells and cold iron weapons and kicked its ass, then looted the lair.)
That'd be the Craig Linnorm. He's a beauty to run into when you're not ready.

Fun tip:
Spoiler:
Cold Iron, as mentioned, breaks his DR. It's also possible to walk around him and loot the good gear behind him with a character that has a high enough stealth. I used Olivia for that. Come back later to finish him off like a checklist item.
Black Lives Matter

2021-01-20: The first good night's sleep I had in 4 years.
Isgrimnur

Post by Isgrimnur »

Paingod wrote: Mon Mar 02, 2020 2:04 pm Craig Linnorm.
Nice name his parents gave him.
It's almost as if people are the problem.
NickAragua

Post by NickAragua »

Isgrimnur wrote: Mon Mar 02, 2020 2:12 pm
We gave one of his body parts a good home. I can't remember for the life of me who asked for the body part, or what body part it even was. Whatever, that's why I bring Linzi along, she writes all that shit down, I'm just there to draw everyone's attention while Nok-Nok stabs them.
Black Lives Matter
Blackhawk

Post by Blackhawk »

I've really, really been wanting to get back to this, but I'm afraid to. I'll be starting a Pathfinder 2nd Edition game in six days as the GM, and I've been immersing myself in the 2e rules to get ready. I've been through the rule book (640 pages) twice. As much as I want to play Kingmaker, I don't want to start looking at the game's 1st edition rules before I've got enough 2nd edition sessions under my belt to not worry about mixing up the rules.

As an aside, they're working on a complete Pathfinder 2nd Edition update to the Kingmaker adventure path (the pen and paper version) that should be out by the end of the year.
Paingod

Post by Paingod »

Isgrimnur wrote: Mon Mar 02, 2020 2:12 pm
Craig, Crag, Potato, Tomato.
Black Lives Matter

coopasonic

Post by coopasonic »

NickAragua wrote: Mon Mar 02, 2020 12:42 pm It's basically 3rd edition D&D.

There's no time limit on that quest from what I recall, so you can march around the wilderness to your heart's content and do other stuff until you're ready to come back to that area. There are several other places I've encountered that were like that (for example, a giant, fire-breathing critter, but not a dragon, that fried my whole group with a single breath. A few levels later, I came back with group-level fire protection spells and cold iron weapons and kicked its ass, then looted the lair.)

I have to say that this is a long freaking game. I've gone through probably about four distinct "main quest series", and it just... keeps going. Luckily, I've got my man Ekundayo with his killer bow skills, Octavia with her fireballs and pit spells, and Nok-Nok, my little stabby goblin buddy, plus a choice of two clerics (and a "free" slot), so I can plow through most fights without too much trouble, especially once we buff up.

BTW, word of advice, if you *are* going to create more mercenaries, you should make sure to do it sooner rather than later. The higher your level, the more expensive they are - at 1st or 2nd level, it's pretty cheap, but I had to create one at 12th level because one of my kingdom advisors went AWOL... ~75k gold! In retrospect, it was a waste, as I brought the advisor back within a couple of weeks. But yeah.
Having never played any D&D outside of on a computer I don't really know the inner working at all. I ended wandering around other places and on my way back went to the spider swarm location and just grabbed whatever I needed and left, you don't even need to encounter the spider swarms to get the quest item. I don't know if there is other good stuff to be found in there, maybe some day I will go back to look.

I also went from 4 characters to 7 last night, picking up the healer with no armor, Octavia and her boy toy. So, I guess I need to get the healer a ranged weapon or something? He is way too fragile to allow him to run into melee. I like his heal em all ability but at the moment he seems pretty useless otherwise.

For the moment I sent the bard packing, but I am not sure about that call. Christ this game is complicated.
-Coop
Black Lives Matter
Blackhawk

Post by Blackhawk »

Regongar is a magus. Think a blend between melee fighter and mage. They're meant for melee - a sword in one hand, a spell in the other. Your defenses are spells. Look at Mirror Image, Blur, and Shield. Some combination of those can make him as tough as most other front line characters.
NickAragua

Post by NickAragua »

Yeah, pretty boy healer has no armor proficiency, so hook him up with a crossbow, that way he won't charge into battle automatically. He's a pure spellcaster, so focus all his feats on "channeling" and spellcasting. I kind of prefer the dwarf myself, because he doesn't keel over from a stiff breeze. But he's kind of an emo, so you have to put up with that. As opposed to pretty boy healer, who's a goody two shoes.
Black Lives Matter
coopasonic

Post by coopasonic »

Blackhawk wrote: Tue Mar 03, 2020 1:17 pm Regongar is a magus. Think a blend between melee fighter and mage. They're meant for melee - a sword in one hand, a spell in the other. Your defenses are spells. Look at Mirror Image, Blur, and Shield. Some combination of those can make him as tough as most other front line characters.
I can see why the confusion and I appreciate the info, but I was talking about Tristian when I mentioned the healer. I couldn't remember his name. I gave him a bracer than gives him 1AC, but I don't think I have any ranged weapon he can equip currently. I'm starting to think this game is a little heavy for my tastes. Too many options can be as bad as too few!

I basically just got Octavia and Regongar right before logging off last night so I haven't really looked into them yet. I read somewhere that Octavia replaces Linzi in the rogue role which is why I sent Linzi back to base. I'll test them out for a bit and see what they are worth.
-Coop
Black Lives Matter
Paingod

Post by Paingod »

coopasonic wrote: Tue Mar 03, 2020 2:58 pmI was talking about Tristian when I mentioned the healer
He's a pretty potent healer. Thing to remember about him is that he -cannot- wear armor. His deity forbids it. Don't bother giving him an armor proficiency. Later in the game, for me, when he's not healing he's buffing and throwing out herds of summoned skeletons. Doesn't bother me that he's got a Light Crossbow and can't hit with it.
Black Lives Matter

Blackhawk

Post by Blackhawk »

Oops, yeah, I misread that.
coopasonic

Post by coopasonic »

Blackhawk wrote: Tue Mar 03, 2020 3:18 pm Oops, yeah, I misread that.
Like I said that's my fault, not yours. Also, I had no idea what a Magus was so your response was not wasted.
-Coop
Black Lives Matter
coopasonic

Post by coopasonic »

coopasonic wrote: Tue Mar 03, 2020 3:22 pm
Like I said that's my fault, not yours. Also, I had no idea what a Magus was so your response was not wasted.
14 months later I am back into this. Does it have an ending? For serious, the kingdom management just seem to drag on.
-Coop
Black Lives Matter
Suitably Ironic Moniker

Post by Suitably Ironic Moniker »

There is definitely an ending, you just have to keep exploring and let enough time pass for the requisite quests to trigger.
When I was a boy, I laid in my twin-sized bed and wondered where my brother was. - Mitch Hedberg
Jag

Post by Jag »

coopasonic wrote: Fri May 14, 2021 10:45 am
coopasonic wrote: Tue Mar 03, 2020 3:22 pm
14 months later I am back into this. Does it have an ending? For serious, the kingdom management just seem to drag on.
It takes a looooong time to finish. I was surprised, but it's fine. Kingdom management takes a lot of time.
coopasonic

Post by coopasonic »

I finally made it to the endgame. I am playing on story difficulty. I ran into a fight I *still* couldn't beat. F the game for taking Amiri away from me at the end! She has been my rock the entire game.

Google told me there was a way around the fight and I have taken that path. I was totally ready to uninstall until I ran into that option (that I was already doing but didn't know it would save me from that fight).

Anyway I am almost done and will be very happy to be done with this. The complexity of the systems is well beyond my level of interest. I am still liking the story and the kingdom building, but the tactical combat is so deep and consumable heavy which is the opposite of me.
-Coop
Black Lives Matter
malchior

Post by malchior »

coopasonic wrote: Mon May 17, 2021 3:46 pm I finally made it to the endgame. I am playing on story difficulty. I ran into a fight I *still* couldn't beat. F the game for taking Amiri away from me at the end! She has been my rock the entire game.
I loved the game but the end game took away my two highest damage dealing characters. I built my party completely around a strategy between two characters. I was like...nope. I'm done. I don't care to see the ending since I got enough value.
Google told me there was a way around the fight and I have taken that path. I was totally ready to uninstall until I ran into that option (that I was already doing but didn't know it would save me from that fight).
Interesting. I might go back and see if this is plausible just to finish it off.
Anyway I am almost done and will be very happy to be done with this. The complexity of the systems is well beyond my level of interest. I am still liking the story and the kingdom building, but the tactical combat is so deep and consumable heavy which is the opposite of me.
This was fine for me but drastic storytelling choices like that are just...unforgiveable. If I knew that was a possibility I would have paid more attention to the character side quests. There was some questionable game design decision making there IMO.
NickAragua

Post by NickAragua »

I got bogged down sometime after I opened up the western part of the map and started the whole thing with King Iorvetti. At some point, I got sick and tired of marching around the map, waiting for the next kingdom event to pop while looking at loading screen after loading screen (even with an SSD).

Of course, now that my video card has shit the bed, I'm unlikely to be finishing this thing any time soon.
Black Lives Matter
coopasonic

Post by coopasonic »

NickAragua wrote: Mon May 17, 2021 4:27 pm I got bogged down sometime after I opened up the western part of the map and started the whole thing with King Iorvetti. At some point, I got sick and tired of marching around the map, waiting for the next kingdom event to pop while looking at loading screen after loading screen (even with an SSD).

Of course, now that my video card has shit the bed, I'm unlikely to be finishing this thing any time soon.
Eventually you get access to teleport. I used it exactly once, to shorten my walk to the final mission. I could have used it more had I noticed and prioritized it earlier. There was a LONG time in the middle where I didn't bother building out my villages/towns.

Also the interactions with Pitax/Iorvetti was possibly my favorite part of the game.
-Coop
Black Lives Matter
NickAragua

Post by NickAragua »

coopasonic wrote: Mon May 17, 2021 4:51 pm Also the interactions with Pitax/Iorvetti was possibly my favorite part of the game.
I agree, I was getting a kick out of that part, but then had to keep interrupting it to run back to the castle to deal with stupid peasants. And yeah, it took me way too long to figure out the teleporters.
Black Lives Matter
coopasonic

Post by coopasonic »

So uhh I figured out why I was having some challenges playing on Story difficulty. I just memorized spells for the very first time. My characters are level 17.

Yeah.

I'm still chewing through the end game but at least now I feel like there is hope that I will finish after all.
-Coop
Black Lives Matter
gbasden

Post by gbasden »

coopasonic wrote: Tue May 18, 2021 10:19 am So uhh I figured out why I was having some challenges playing on Story difficulty. I just memorized spells for the very first time. My characters are level 17.

Yeah.

I'm still chewing through the end game but at least now I feel like there is hope that I will finish after all.
That would definitely cause a significantly higher level of difficulty. So you basically had fighters, and worse fighters?
coopasonic

Post by coopasonic »

Yeah I guess that explains why Amiri, Valerie and Nok-Nok were the stars of the show.
-Coop
Black Lives Matter
malchior

Post by malchior »

So I was playing Wrath of the Righteous and ran into a huge, huge bug that they still haven't fixed...so went back to Kingmaker to give it a second shot. And again I"m back at the endgame of this game and it is just a tedious slog. It doesn't feel epic. It is a series of just boring, repetitive badly designed fights over and over. This game is such a weird mix of good and bad.
gbasden

Post by gbasden »

What is the Wrath of the Righteous bug? I've been playing pretty regularly and I'm wondering which act and if I'm about to hit it head on.
NickAragua

Post by NickAragua »

coopasonic wrote: Wed May 19, 2021 7:30 am Yeah I guess that explains why Amiri, Valerie and Nok-Nok were the stars of the show.
Necro post: To be fair, Nok-Nok is the star of the show anyway. That guy can backstab like nobody's business.
Black Lives Matter
malchior

Post by malchior »

gbasden wrote: Mon Oct 04, 2021 12:18 pm What is the Wrath of the Righteous bug? I've been playing pretty regularly and I'm wondering which act and if I'm about to hit it head on.
Upgrades to Forts are broken for some. The upgrade events aren't working. You'll do one but it won't give you the button in the fort management menu. I'm one of them for sure. So I can't build teleports or upgrades to stop corruption. This is a problem for me because my morale is collapsing because I'm not conquering enough. So it is a 1-2 punch of not being able to travel far enough to deal with missions without accruing corruption because I can't teleport or rest in a safe fort. I have another bug in my Demon Mythic story line too that is causing me to hit pause as well. I'm hoping they'll have it sorted out soon. I did hear there is a workaround to the Fort issue if you edit the json in the save files by hand. I'm not that interested in it. :lol:

Edit: As to Kingmaker - I'm at the last fight and I'm ready to delete this game. I just want to finish this dumb fight and be done with it. I can't believe people intentionally play this over and over. The end of the game makes Pool of Radiance seem well paced and fun.
malchior

Post by malchior »

malchior wrote: Mon Oct 04, 2021 12:37 pmEdit: As to Kingmaker - I'm at the last fight and I'm ready to delete this game. I just want to finish this dumb fight and be done with it. I can't believe people intentionally play this over and over. The end of the game makes Pool of Radiance seem well paced and fun.
Done! The end of that game is just a brutal chore. I can't imagine I won't pick it up again sometime but I'll probably stop before the last act. :)
Jaymann

Post by Jaymann »

I actually prefer this to Wrath of the Righteous, which suffers from the common malady of over bright, flashy pastel colors. It is difficult getting used to no rotating camera though. I used Bag of Tricks to get rid of the fatigue and eating BS. And everything at the merchants is free so I don't have to grub for money. If I can use it, it's mine. Really enjoying it so far.
Jaymann
]==(:::::::::::::>
Black Lives Matter
Ralph-Wiggum

Post by Ralph-Wiggum »

I got this on sale for the Playstation the other work. Fortunately, I haven't yet run into any of the supposed many bugs in the console version and load times on the PS5 are pretty fast (certainly when compared to Pillars of Eternity Deadfire which I had been playing). So far I'm enjoying it. Coming from Deadfire, it's a bit of shock at how few special abilities some classes get. For instance, neither my level 4 fighter and ranger have any special class-specific abilities they can use during combat other than a few passive feats. Although my pet saber-tooth tiger is pretty cool.

I just beat the Stag Lord, so I'm still early in the game. Haven't gotten to the kingdom management part of the game yet, but I assume that will be coming up soon.
Black Lives Matter