Dragon Age 3: Inquisition

If it's a video game it goes here.

Moderators: LawBeefaroni, Arcanis, $iljanus

Daehawk

Re: Dragon Age 3: Inquisition

Post by Daehawk »

Im to the place to choose mages or templars. Not sure what to do. Leaning mages.
--------------------------------------------
I am Dyslexic of Borg, prepare to have your ass laminated.
I guess Ray Butts has ate his last pancake.
http://steamcommunity.com/id/daehawk
"Has high IQ. Refuses to apply it"
El Guapo

Post by El Guapo »

FWIW while I have only gone through the game once (choosing mages), so haven't done both, I think it's pretty much all style points - i.e. you're not really better off one way or the other. So you can make the choice in a role-playing kind of way.

Also the mage quest is pretty bad-ass, IMO (though who knows, maybe the Templar one is too).
Black Lives Matter.
Daehawk

Post by Daehawk »

Im a fighter type and helping mages. Im nutz. I seem to feel the Templars are the evil empire like side. They want to kill or enslave the mages.
Blackhawk

Post by Blackhawk »

Daehawk wrote:Ya that would have been best for me too. But on the plus side I have the max fire stuff so maybe the dragons will be easier. I still haven't killed one.
Spoiler:
...at least the few that breathe fire... ;)
(˙pǝsɹǝʌǝɹ uǝǝq sɐɥ ʎʇıʌɐɹƃ ʃɐuosɹǝd ʎW)
Daehawk

Post by Daehawk »

My game has been fine. Then today I installed the latest video driver for my card and now Im getting black screen flashes / blinking. Just randomly the screen will blink black and then back to normal.
Daehawk

Post by Daehawk »

What kind of garden did you all make? I chose herb garden because Im always low on herbs. But now Im wondering if the gold would make the chantry garden worth it.
Blackhawk

Post by Blackhawk »

Herbs. You quickly run out of things to spend gold on, but rare herbs are hard to come by. I packed it full of the super-rare stuff and always had plenty.

There is a corner of my mind considering a re-play on Nightmare. I don't know why. Perhaps too much time in the Fade.
Daehawk

Post by Daehawk »

Really starting to regret that vid driver update I did. Its ok walkign around..i get a random flicker at times. But in chat cut scenes it blinks like mad. I am not kidding when I say if you had the light sensitive epilepsy you'd have fits when trying to play. Very flickery :)

EDIT: I just realized Ive not run into that dwarf with the slow son who likes to enchant. Are they in this game?
Daehawk

Post by Daehawk »

I don't know whats going on here but I found so strange I had to post it for you guys. I was wandering around a new area and looked behind a house and found this sight. Maybe it references some show or something I dont know.

Enlarge Image
Daehawk

Post by Daehawk »

Anyone else experience online connection failure during playing? Ill be playing along and suddenly a box pops up saying online connect fail....no access to online features. I always save right there and quit out and either rejoin instantly or wait a bit and then go back in and play more. Im not sure if there a problem or if it because Im playing so long at a time. Once I start playing I sit and play for 9 - 15 hours usually. Ive been playing around 12 hours this time. Maybe its built in to d othat after so much time? My modem is showing all is well.
Blackhawk

Post by Blackhawk »

Daehawk wrote:I don't know whats going on here but I found so strange I had to post it for you guys. I was wandering around a new area and looked behind a house and found this sight. Maybe it references some show or something I dont know.

Enlarge Image
Cheeeese!
Daehawk

Post by Daehawk »

hmmmmm well ok then. Time to find a cheese shield.
Daehawk

Post by Daehawk »

Hahaha I found a book in game titled Plants vs Corpses. Reading it it is clearing a battle of Plants vs Zombies. :)

And that cheese thing?..ya my goodness Ive never sen so much cheese. I see it everywhere now.
Daehawk

Post by Daehawk »

Hey I found that cheese shield hahaha! If you dont want it spoiled dont view the pics below. Though the stats may be random each game...not sure.

It even has a little knife in it where they cut that piece out of it on the table.

Enlarge Image

Enlarge Image

Enlarge Image

Enlarge Image
Daehawk

Post by Daehawk »

Im at something new now. Its the part where you have 3 choices for advanced character class. Theres Templar, Reaver, and Champion. Its a cool feature that I had no idea about. No hint even it was in the game. I thought Id read up pretty well on the game as well :)

Im going to look online of course to see more about these 3 advanced classes but what do you all thing of them? Im playing a sword and shield warrior so which one would be a fit for me possibly? Champion? The other two also sound very interesting. I was thinking the Reaver is suited to theives and rogues and Templar to...well heck if I know lol.
Blackhawk

Post by Blackhawk »

Daehawk wrote: Im playing a sword and shield warrior so which one would be a fit for me possibly? Champion? The other two also sound very interesting. I was thinking the Reaver is suited to theives and rogues and Templar to...well heck if I know lol.
Short version: Champion tanks. Templar is support melee with buffs, Reaver is straight up damage.

I went with Champion on my sword-and-board tank and never regretted it.
Daehawk

Post by Daehawk »

Templar sounds like what I play now. I have a nice wep and shield but I stand back and let my party fight while I use my horn and buff them. Sometimes I jump in to finish stuff off or save my mage. Maybe I should go Templar.
Daehawk

Post by Daehawk »

If I went champion with my sword and board warrior could I still use my horn skill to buff my party? I dont really care to tank but like to buff but I dont like templars....but it seems Im forced to play a templar if I want to stay back and buff...is that correct?
El Guapo

Post by El Guapo »

Daehawk wrote:If I went champion with my sword and board warrior could I still use my horn skill to buff my party? I dont really care to tank but like to buff but I dont like templars....but it seems Im forced to play a templar if I want to stay back and buff...is that correct?
The specialty classes don't remove any of your previous skills, so I don't see any reason why you couldn't keep tooting your horn, so to speak. But as Blackhawk says, the core point of the Champion specialty is tanking (though other warriors can also do that), so Templar sounds like the best fit for how you like to play. If it's a role-playing concern, choosing the Templar specialty would be more learning their skills and not joining their order, especially since the Templar order is at a minimum in very rough shape (depending on the choices you've made) - so you'd really more be adapting their skills to the Inquisition.

Also you probably know this but you have each specialty class available to you in your party, so you can "try before you buy" by adventuring with the relevant party member (Cassandra, Blackwall, and Iron Bull).
Black Lives Matter.
Blackhawk

Post by Blackhawk »

El Guapo wrote: Also you probably know this but you have each specialty class available to you in your party, so you can "try before you buy" by adventuring with the relevant party member (Cassandra, Blackwall, and Iron Bull).
Which you should also take into account. If you won't leave home without Blackwall for instance, you probably don't need to be a Champion yourself.

Iron Bull, by the way - I wanted to love him. I wanted him in my party, but the AI was utterly incapable of playing him intelligently. He was a potion sponge, after which he'd lie on the ground during the fights, and this is despite researching the 'compensating' builds for him, most of which focus on not using what makes him so unique.
El Guapo

Post by El Guapo »

Blackhawk wrote:
Iron Bull, by the way - I wanted to love him. I wanted him in my party, but the AI was utterly incapable of playing him intelligently. He was a potion sponge, after which he'd lie on the ground during the fights, and this is despite researching the 'compensating' builds for him, most of which focus on not using what makes him so unique.
Yeah, I enjoyed the character, so I took him around a lot early on, but ultimately I had the same experience as you. By the end my usual party was Cassandra, Blackwall, me (knight-enchanter mage), plus either a rogue or another mage.
Black Lives Matter.
Blackhawk

Post by Blackhawk »

Myself (straight up tank), Solas, and Cassandra (set up with two-handers) were my core, and I'd bounce between Varric and Sera for the last slot depending on what I was doing, both as archers.
Daehawk

Post by Daehawk »

I seem to have developed a quest line stopping bug. Its at the part where you get a arcanist for Skyhold. Once she is there and you have the quest conversation with her you are supposed to have your blacksmith create a Masterwork weapon. But when I talk to him nothing comes up for him to make one. Same with her. Ive tried created them and then talking to him or talking to her for enchanting but nothing works. As far as I can tell I talk to him , he makes it, then she enchants it. So Im stuck and its broken.
El Guapo

Post by El Guapo »

Daehawk wrote:I seem to have developed a quest line stopping bug. Its at the part where you get a arcanist for Skyhold. Once she is there and you have the quest conversation with her you are supposed to have your blacksmith create a Masterwork weapon. But when I talk to him nothing comes up for him to make one. Same with her. Ive tried created them and then talking to him or talking to her for enchanting but nothing works. As far as I can tell I talk to him , he makes it, then she enchants it. So Im stuck and its broken.
You don't make it via dialogue, you make it via the "craft weapon" or "craft armor" options in the underhold (or whatever it's called, where the arcanist hangs out) in Skyhold. I'm trying to remember the details, but IIRC you will (if you haven't already) during the game acquire item blueprints that have a "masterwork slot", and you'll also find masterwork runes / materials. You simply craft the relevant weapon / armor, put the masterwork rune in (along with the other regular crafting materials), craft it, and boom - masterwork item.
Black Lives Matter.
Daehawk

Post by Daehawk »

Did anyone get a bugged quest spot in Emprise du Lion? Im in the little town and in a house theres a npc standing there saying "Oh I dropped it" and a highlighted item on a bench in front of them and it says EXAMINE...but I cant click it and get no hand icon anywhere around it or them.
Daehawk

Post by Daehawk »

In Emprise Du Lion inside Suledin Keep I have a ! marker. It seems to be under the keep of inside it. Its not up top anywhere that I can find. I captured the keep and never came across it. Any clue what it is?

Also outside in an area is a 'locked door'...its a tower door but Ive opened it and looted the tower yet it stays on the map.
Blackhawk

Post by Blackhawk »

Daehawk wrote:In Emprise Du Lion inside Suledin Keep I have a ! marker. It seems to be under the keep of inside it. Its not up top anywhere that I can find. I captured the keep and never came across it. Any clue what it is?

Also outside in an area is a 'locked door'...its a tower door but Ive opened it and looted the tower yet it stays on the map.
Keep in mind that it has been a long time since I've played this (so I could be completely wrong), but I seem to remember that it was a glitch that had to do with phasing. Something about after you liberate the keep, the quest marker still shows up even though the NPC isn't actually available. All I know for sure was that I was looking for it forever, did a bunch of research, and eventually gave up.
Daehawk

Post by Daehawk »

Had a few of the bad markers .

Also me "I wonder whats on top of this big stadium thing?" ./..ya a cold dragon which I was not set up for. I can kill an Abyssal High Dragon but not a normal dragon if its a cold one. Need to get more shards.....and some fire magic for my mages or something. My puny axe of 'ouch its warm' doesn't cut it.

This game is also making me wish for a better loot and inventory interface. Like why cant I sell just all grey con items at once? Ans why if I loot something and it has only 1 item it wont just grab it instead of me doing it. Or let me set it to loot all because thats what I do anyways.
Smoove_B

Post by Smoove_B »

ARISE! As predicted, I waited until long after release to pick up a copy (I think it was during an end of the year sale on Origin) and I spent a few hours with it over the weekend. Two immediate observations:

(1) for a game that is a few years old and running on a PC that blows away the recommended requirements, the loading times are unacceptable.
(2) In isolation, I might have been able to play this in 2015. However, after completing the Witcher 3, I'm not sure its going to happen - that game might have ruined me for being able to play any other fantasy-themed RPG in the near future.
Maybe next year, maybe no go
Daehawk

Post by Daehawk »

I never did get back to this and deleted it. Maybe one day.

I also had terrible load times. Very aggravating.
Smoove_B

Post by Smoove_B »

I made it through the prologue and was moving right along, then screen goes black and the loading icon appears in the corner. 15 seconds later, I'm back to playing the game. It's crazy.
Fitzy

Post by Fitzy »

I know that loading time annoyance is subjective, but I don't recall DA:I having any issues. We played it shortly after the complete version came out. I can't remember any black screen loads. It's possible I'm blacking them out.

As far as the game, it's a typical Bioware game. The strength is in the companions. The story is pretty good. The game play is meh.
El Guapo

Post by El Guapo »

Fitzy wrote:
As far as the game, it's a typical Bioware game. The strength is in the companions. The story is pretty good. The game play is meh.
Yeah, pretty much. I played this before Witcher 3, so I can't speak to that, but I really enjoyed DA:3. Strength as you say is in the story and companions. In particular some of the main story line quests were pretty compelling.
Black Lives Matter.
Smoove_B

Post by Smoove_B »

I have it on normal/default difficulty, but I might just lower it to wiener mode and try to enjoy the story and characters...which admittedly are my favorite parts of the other two Dragon Age games...and Mass Effect.
Skinypupy

Post by Skinypupy »

Smoove_B wrote:I have it on normal/default difficulty, but I might just lower it to wiener mode and try to enjoy the story and characters...which admittedly are my favorite parts of the other two Dragon Age games...and Mass Effect.
That's how I played it, and it ended up being really fun. It played more like an action-RPG, and allowed me to focus on the story and characters without having to strategically plan for and pause every 10 steps when an enemy appeared.
When darkness veils the world, four Warriors of Light shall come.
KDH

Post by KDH »

:violence-duel: ... Dragon Age Creative Director Mike Laidlaw Departs BioWare After 14 Years
Mike Laidlaw, whose credits include creative director for Game Informer's 2014 Game of the Year, Dragon Age: Inquisition, has left BioWare after 14 years with the developer. Laidlaw announced the news on Twitter via a heartfelt message.

Prior to stepping into his role as creative director of the Dragon Age series with 2014's Inquisition, Laidlaw served as the lead designer of Dragon Age: Origins and Dragon Age II. He was the creative director for the Dragon Age series up until his announcement today, and played roles in the development of titles like Mass Effect, Jade Empire, and Sonic Chronicles: The Dark Brotherhood.
Spoiler:
Ain't nobody got time for that
JCC

Post by JCC »

At what point does Bioware cease to be Bioware? Or are we already past that point?
Black Lives Matter

"You know, the very powerful and the very stupid have one thing in common: they don't alter their views to fit the facts; they alter the facts to fit their views." - The 4th Doctor
Isgrimnur

Post by Isgrimnur »

JCC wrote:At what point does Bioware cease to be Bioware? Or are we already past that point?
Development studio of Theseus.
It's almost as if people are the problem.
morlac

Post by morlac »

JCC wrote:At what point does Bioware cease to be Bioware? Or are we already past that point?
Right after Dragons Age Origins.
Daehawk

Post by Daehawk »

Well I reinstalled this and it says Ive played 275 hours but then in game my only choice is NEW GAME. I don't want to start over.

The Dragon Keep also does not function. The servers that kept the info have been gone for years so it will show a generic default hero and you have to edit it and make all the choices you made during the first two games so it knows what you did.

Good lord Bioware is total crap. I thought for sure it would at least keep my game info when I quit and deleted this. Figured I could come back to it some day. WTF is an account for if it does nothing useful. Stupid EA.