83%
Get that old game off the hard drive!!!
17%

Total votes: 54

Dan_Theman

Mafia - to continue or not to continue?

Post by Dan_Theman »

Yep, it's an old game. Very old.

I picked it up some time ago and played it for a time until each chapter felt like more of a chore than a game. I mean, I drive around in real life all the time, and muddling through traffic with AI that's worse than the intelligence of real life drivers isn't terribly fun. So, if I took the driving around out of the game, then it feels like a poor man's version of a Max Payne shootout.

Of course, there's the ongoing story which is done well enough and I vaguely care about the character. But is the payoff of the endgame worth the wait? Somebody out there knows the answer (or at least thinks they do), and I'd love to hear your opinions as to whether I should just put the game to rest or not.
Blackhawk

Post by Blackhawk »

Yes, it is worth it. I will say that I found the driving around to be one of the best parts, though. I loved the atmosphere - there are plenty of games where I can shoot people, but not many where I can tool around in a Model T listening to Django Reinhardt.
(˙pǝsɹǝʌǝɹ uǝǝq sɐɥ ʎʇıʌɐɹƃ ʃɐuosɹǝd ʎW)
ChuckB

Post by ChuckB »

IMHO, one of the best games ever made. Graphic was superb back then (and still looks good) and the atmosphere is fantastic. I personally liked the driving since I thought it was great to create true immersion.
I got stuck at one point and didn't touch it for a while (can't remember the name of the mission), but luckily picked it up again after a while and finished it.
I installed it on my newest systems, but haven't played it yet, mostly because my backlog of other games is already soooo long (I'm not a replayer).

I think it says a lot that everyone I know who played "The Godfather", which came out a few months ago, wished it were as good as the old Mafia.

If you're not convinced, I'll make you an offer you can not refuse ... :twisted:

Chuck
yossar

Post by yossar »

I think it's a game that appeals to people who really like immersiveness, even at the expense of gameplay. That's not me so I also felt that the driving parts felt like a boring waste of time. But some people really like the fact that the world feels "alive."
Dreamcast Krew 4 Life
Dan_Theman

Post by Dan_Theman »

I will say that this game provided one of the more humorous moments in my gaming career;

During a mission on a yacht where I was supposed to knock off a political figure with a gun hidden in the bathroom ... I couldn't figure out how to get the gun, but I found a metal pail in there. So, with little left to try, I take the pail out to the deck of the boat and bludgeon the poor guy to death with it in front of the stunned crowd and his equally stunned (yet firing) bodyguards.

Hey, at least I completed the mission ;)
Rip

Post by Rip »

Dan_Theman wrote:I will say that this game provided one of the more humorous moments in my gaming career;

During a mission on a yacht where I was supposed to knock off a political figure with a gun hidden in the bathroom ... I couldn't figure out how to get the gun, but I found a metal pail in there. So, with little left to try, I take the pail out to the deck of the boat and bludgeon the poor guy to death with it in front of the stunned crowd and his equally stunned (yet firing) bodyguards.

You were in the wrong bathroom. Wish I would have thought of using the pail!
gameoverman

Post by gameoverman »

That's one of my most hated games, thanks to the lack of a savegame option. I gave up on it around the airport mission and never looked back. I don't regret not finishing it, but I DO regret all the time I wasted doing those same stupid missions again and again and again and again...
Captain Caveman

Post by Captain Caveman »

Great game with a great ending. :)
coopasonic

Post by coopasonic »

I thought the game was great and i thought the "Free Ride" part where you did the challenges to get all the amazing hot rods was pretty darn cool too. Somewhere I have a screenshot of my safehouse with all of the hot rods in it.. it still makes me smile to look at it.

On the other hand, if you don't enjoy driving around in the old cars, you may as well just send the game my way, cause I sold it a second time and now I want to play it again!

[edit - found it, bye bye forum formatting -- edit again, I turned it sideways to preserve the formatting ;) ]

-Coop
Black Lives Matter
Intruder

Post by Intruder »

Dan_Theman wrote:I will say that this game provided one of the more humorous moments in my gaming career;

Real men used their fists... :twisted:
Rincewind

Post by Rincewind »

One of the finest games of this generation. If you don't continue its your loss good sir!
Poleaxe

Post by Poleaxe »

Incredible game, but can be frustrating. I was glad I stuck with it.
Orgull

Post by Orgull »

One of the top ten best games of this century so far. Definitely worth sticking with. Some of the later missions were tremendously cool.
Roscoe

Post by Roscoe »

Orgull wrote:One of the top ten best games of this century so far. Definitely worth sticking with. Some of the later missions were tremendously cool.
Shame that no one picked up on the game system and produced a sequel.
LawBeefaroni
Forum Moderator

Post by LawBeefaroni »

The missions get better. I agree that that driving was the worst part but it shouldn't take more than a few tries each mission to figure out the right route.

The ending is overrated, in my opinion, but the later missions are a decent enough payoff.
" Hey OP, listen to my advice alright." -Tha General
"No scientific discovery is named after its original discoverer." -Stigler's Law of Eponymy, discovered by Robert K. Merton

MYT
Doomboy

Post by Doomboy »

If you don't enjoy the driving OR the shooting portions of the game, then I can't imagine why you would force yourself to keep playing. It isn't like either kind of gameplay is going to change between the part you are at and the end. It is only going to get harder.

I enjoyed the game up until the race, but then I got the save file and cheated my way past that annoyance and enjoyed the rest of the game.
Daehawk

Post by Daehawk »

I finished Mafia but I was really really really tired of all the driving I had to do by the end. I was wishing there was a insta start mission option I could use. I also thought it was about 5 missions too long.

I then started Godfather and got pretty far into it before I got sick of the driving again and gave up on it.
--------------------------------------------
I am Dyslexic of Borg, prepare to have your ass laminated.
I guess Ray Butts has ate his last pancake.
http://steamcommunity.com/id/daehawk
"Has high IQ. Refuses to apply it"
Octavious

Post by Octavious »

One of my fav. games by far. Defiantly play it all the way through it's worth it.
Capitalism tries for a delicate balance: It attempts to work things out so that everyone gets just enough stuff to keep them from getting violent and trying to take other people’s stuff.

Shameless plug for my website: www.nettphoto.com
coopasonic

Post by coopasonic »

Octavious230 wrote:Defiantly play it all the way through it's worth it.
There's something amusing about that statement. It makes me think of "The Race" and "The Parking Garage"
-Coop
Black Lives Matter
Crabbs

Post by Crabbs »

There are times when I hear certain music in the movies or on TV and I get very happy flashbacks to long nights playing Mafia. It was so nice and immersive, so well put together. Always wished they had modded it for Multi.
'The time you enjoy wasting is not wasted time.'
- Bertrand Russell -

Wii # 2042 8377 5645 6582

The Rainbow's Reward

Olivia's Big Adventure
Greg Wak

Post by Greg Wak »

coopasonic wrote:
There's something amusing about that statement. It makes me think of "The Race" and "The Parking Garage"
Yeah that parking garage was a real nightmare. Didn't stop me from finishing the game though.
Crabbs

Post by Crabbs »

Greg Wak wrote:
coopasonic wrote:
Yeah that parking garage was a real nightmare. Didn't stop me from finishing the game though.
+1

I actually used a downloaded savegame to get past the racetrack. I just couldn't do it with just the keyboard.
'The time you enjoy wasting is not wasted time.'
- Bertrand Russell -

Wii # 2042 8377 5645 6582

The Rainbow's Reward

Olivia's Big Adventure
Poleaxe

Post by Poleaxe »

Crabbs wrote:
Greg Wak wrote:
coopasonic wrote:
+1

I actually used a downloaded savegame to get past the racetrack. I just couldn't do it with just the keyboard.
I cheated past the race, but never had the problems that others did with the garage. Don't get me wrong it took three or four times, but I thought it was fun level.

I would never have made it through the race.
ChuckB

Post by ChuckB »

Weird, I didn't have real problems with the race ... and if I remember, I played it pre-patch (I think the patch is suppose to make the race easier). And that's me, someone who now plays a lot of games on "easy" to avoid frustration.

Chuck
Octavious

Post by Octavious »

Crabbs wrote:
Greg Wak wrote:
coopasonic wrote:
+1

Beat the race on my second try. I was using a gamepad and I play a lot of driving games so I guess that might have something to do with it. The garage was hard but it certainly didn't drive me nuts or anything.
Capitalism tries for a delicate balance: It attempts to work things out so that everyone gets just enough stuff to keep them from getting violent and trying to take other people’s stuff.

Shameless plug for my website: www.nettphoto.com
whispa

Post by whispa »

Great game! Great atmosphere, story and music!
Blackhawk

Post by Blackhawk »

In my experience, people who are familiar with racing didn't have as much of a problem with the racing level. People who don't know squat about racing (like me) found it damned near impossible. (Yes, I downloaded a save.)
Hemlock Bones

Post by Hemlock Bones »

I had problems with the race until I got out my joystick. Then it was no problem. The only part I "hated" was the final gunfight but the payoff is sooo good. Best game ending I've encountered.
Freezer-TPF-

Post by Freezer-TPF- »

One of my favorite games of all time. That being said, I set the race difficulty to easy and didn't feel bad about it one bit. The racecar was just too twitchy for me with the keyboard.

I should go back and play around with the free ride stuff sometime. I only did a little bit of that before moving on to other things.
When the sun goes out, we'll have eight minutes to live.
rrmorton

Post by rrmorton »

My all-time favorite game.
da Toad

Post by da Toad »

One of my favorites. Also one of the few GTA clones that worked with my wheel with no fuss. I gave it to my buddy and he loved it as well (and is usually more discriminating than I). This game is definatelt a tough one. You should give finishing it a go.

Am I the only one who wanted to take Mafia's epilogue and stick it on to Goodfellas afterwards? :lol:
coopasonic

Post by coopasonic »

This thread got me to buy it again. If anyone else is interested, CompUSA has the jewel case version for $4.99 :D
-Coop
Black Lives Matter
Quitch

Post by Quitch »

My dad sucked at this game, struggled with all the combat, yet still raved about it. I constantly hear good things... ordered :)
Dan_Theman

Post by Dan_Theman »

I'll be breaking out the d20 tonight in order to decide if I should keep playing based on the recommendations here, just as I do with any major decisions in my life.

Thus far, 1-3 is a no and 4-19 is a yes. 20, of course, is a critical hit and I won't be able to go to sleep until the game is done.
skystride

Post by skystride »

I disllike GTA and GTA style games but I loved this one. Probably because of the setting and the combat was much closer to regular FPS.
Inverarity

Post by Inverarity »

The game had its moments, and I don't mind challenges, but when all the challenges involve getting past deficiencies in the engine and there isn't a save-anywhere option to compensate, the game ceases to be fun. You people who played it through and remember it fondly have a lot more patience than me. I played it through and remember it like a root canal.

Great music though.
Blackhawk

Post by Blackhawk »

I remember only two spots that I thought needed another checkpoint. It wasn't all that bad.

In any case, nothing beats an early-game car chase up a hill, with both cars struggling along at 10MPH.
Freezer-TPF-

Post by Freezer-TPF- »

Blackhawk wrote:In any case, nothing beats an early-game car chase up a hill, with both cars struggling along at 10MPH.
LOL. I really hated that long winding hill that led up to the fancy neighborhood. Traffic tended to clot at the top of the hill going up, and trying to get around that line of practically stuck cars while not getting run off the road by cars coming down the hill was often quite a not-so-fun challenge.
When the sun goes out, we'll have eight minutes to live.
Navaros

Post by Navaros »

After reading the first few posts of this thread, it feels as if I have entered Bizarre-O World.

Mafia is hands-down one of the top 5 PC games ever made, period.

The gameplay is darn near perfect, as is just about everything else about the game.

The mixing of the story seamlessly into the gameplay is easily one of the best and most engrossing stories ever put into a game.

About the only legitimate thing to criticsize about Mafia in my view is the horrible racing level. Other than that, I can only wonder what the heck you guys are thinking to say Mafia gameplay has anything wrong with it. :shock:
Dan_Theman

Post by Dan_Theman »

For those keeping score at home, I rolled a 13 (I'm just lucky that way) so the game stays ;)