Diablo 2

If it's a video game it goes here.

Moderators: LawBeefaroni, Arcanis, $iljanus

Daehawk

Diablo 2

Post by Daehawk »

I have an itch to go back to this again. Would be my 3rd trip back. I have the exp pack also. Id like to know if anyone plays it still could tell me if its still filled with losers spamming "want SOJ" in the chat rooms. I always hated that. Also is it filled with people farming items and always wearing the best crap even as a new character? Id like to go back and start clean with a fresh character...probably would anyways since Blizz wipes them....but dont want the annoyance of those kinda players.
dbt1949

Post by dbt1949 »

I loved the game and played it more hours than I can count but only a few games were multiplayer and only two of those were with people I was not familar with.The people there acted like jerks so I went back to single player.

Interstingly enough one of the game I had a bad experience with was one of the old Gone Gold crewed games where they were very rude to me. I have no idea who the people were and I was a relatively unknown back then but still.....

Also there's the fact that by the time you reach level 70 or so so it takes soooo much time to level up and you keep coming across these lightning monsters that can kill you fast than I can spy a poacher on my land ( :wink: ). Even tho my resistances are maxed out and I have 3000+ hitpoints.
Ye Olde Farte
Double Ought Forty
aka dbt1949
Jolor

Post by Jolor »

SP only for me, as well. Still the best game out there for getting out of a gaming slump.
Ripstar

Post by Ripstar »

I have to agree with dbt and Jolor, but I still play the sp.
Forth time back, each with a different character.
You can run, but you'll just die tired.
Daehawk

Post by Daehawk »

I never bothered with single player in either Diablo. I had a few lvl 85+ I think...one in all classes. Had all the cool equipment. But now all thats gone and Id just start over. Not sure how much fun that would be. Then again it might be a nice break.
dangerballs

Post by dangerballs »

I usually play single-player on Battle.net. The battle.net games are programmed to have better drops than pure single-player with a few items only dropping on battle.net. Then if I ever feel like a game with some friends, I can join one with my main character, instead of having offline and online characters.
dbt1949

Post by dbt1949 »

Yeah,I tried Battlenet single player for awhile.Got my barbarian to level 77 but the "special" monsters were too damn hard and it took too long to level up by then.
Don't seem to remember getting any better drops.I might have but it's been awhile and I just don't remember.
Ye Olde Farte
Double Ought Forty
aka dbt1949
DArtagnan

Post by DArtagnan »

This is a game that's made for LAN co-op if you ask me. That or get your friends on Battle.net. The only way to enjoy it fully!
Torfish

Post by Torfish »

Jolor wrote:Still the best game out there for getting out of a gaming slump.
Same here.
Zitterbacke

Post by Zitterbacke »

Before I finally quited on D2 I had a blast playing closed BNet on Hardcore. No, really, it was fun to play very cautious. But of course you had to disconnect when the thing became laggy.
Gaming? Nope, I'm into Bitwig.
noxiousdog

Post by noxiousdog »

Try it with some of the mods. Cold Fusion was a really fun one.
Black Lives Matter

"To wield Grond, the mighty hammer of the Federal Government, is to be intoxicated with power beyond what you and I can reckon (though I figure we can ball park it pretty good with computers and maths). Need to tunnel through a mountain? Grond. Kill a mighty ogre? Grond. Hangnail? Grond. Spider? Grond (actually, that's a legit use, moreso than the rest)." - Peacedog
ChrisGwinn

Post by ChrisGwinn »

They introduced a closed ladder with the 1.10 patch. I don't know how it worked out, but when it started it was remarkable free of morons. The economy of the ladder was entirely separate and there were some other rules.
Jeff Jones

Post by Jeff Jones »

DArtagnan wrote:This is a game that's made for LAN co-op if you ask me. That or get your friends on Battle.net. The only way to enjoy it fully!
Agreed. I finished D2 + expansion 6 times, and it was always with friends on a LAN, or co-op with friends on battle.net. I'd never just do random pickup games with strangers.
Remus West

Post by Remus West »

Neverplayed D2 on battlenet. Way to many idiots from the original Diablo. Before GW came out was playing a ton of hardcore singleplayer stuff. Playing every character a little bit. Still love the game.
“As democracy is perfected, the office of president represents, more and more closely, the inner soul of the people. On some great and glorious day the plain folks of the land will reach their heart's desire at last and the White House will be adorned by a downright moron.” - H.L. Mencken
Torfish

Post by Torfish »

Just curious. What is everyone's favorite class? I only played a pally, sorceress, and barbarian (all to lvl 50+). Sorceress was my favorite, loved the aoe spells. She was not very good at Hell difficulty though.
Remus West

Post by Remus West »

I really liked the soc., the melee characters were frustrating to me as I was playing hardcore, and one ironmaiden curse could ruin my whole day. Still, I tried to play them all as I felt it kept the game fresh each had to be approached differently in different areas.
“As democracy is perfected, the office of president represents, more and more closely, the inner soul of the people. On some great and glorious day the plain folks of the land will reach their heart's desire at last and the White House will be adorned by a downright moron.” - H.L. Mencken
warning

Post by warning »

noxiousdog wrote:Try it with some of the mods. Cold Fusion was a really fun one.
I had a blast with the V&K Middle-Earth Mod.
Daehawk

Post by Daehawk »

I like them all. I think Im the worst with the assasin though. Never knew which weapon path to choose.
ChrisGwinn

Post by ChrisGwinn »

I played farthest with the amazon, making it all the way through on hell. I stalled out somewhere around the middle of nightmare with a paladin and a druid. I'm pretty sure I never finished normal with any of the other classes, although I did like playing as both barbarian and assasin. I never really got the hang of necromancer.
Fuzzballx

Post by Fuzzballx »

I played D2 twice, the first time i got addicted i played softcore, the second time i went hardcore since all my soft chars had been deleted after 90 days inactivity.

My first hardcore died at level 37 but my second one made it all the way to level 82 before i retired for the second time from D2 and that char has since been deleted by blizzard. I did a hardcore lightning trap assassin for the char that made 82. Several other characters in the 30s.

I might be interested in going back one more time to D2 hardcore. I played with a community when i went which was exclusive and very safe/group friendly. OF course, its never perfectly safe or anything, but it acctually worked out super well. Not a member there anymore and its kind of hard to get in.

Without a good hardcore community its almost impossible and i'd recommend not even trying it without that.

D2 softcore.....is just no challenge anymore...takes the fun and excitement out of it.

There's definitely some good rules to follow for hardcore to prevent total heartbreak. If anyone's interested in D2 hardcore, and wants some starter advice for it, drop me a pm.
Daehawk

Post by Daehawk »

I think my favorite was a mallet using werewolf druid. he had a crazy high damage rating. If I got back i think I may try a trap assasin.
Fuzzballx

Post by Fuzzballx »

Thats the coolest thing about D2, there's so many different builds.

A really fun one i did was the summoner druid, that was really fun..
dbt1949

Post by dbt1949 »

Usually I play a barbarian(surprise!)or frequently a Druid(another surprise!). :wink:
Ye Olde Farte
Double Ought Forty
aka dbt1949
Edmond

Re: Diablo 2

Post by Edmond »

Daehawk wrote:I have an itch to go back to this again. Would be my 3rd trip back. I have the exp pack also. Id like to know if anyone plays it still could tell me if its still filled with losers spamming "want SOJ" in the chat rooms.
I played D2 eariler this year (again -- probably my 4th or 5th trip since the original D2 released) and stopped about 2 months ago. (Or was it 3 months? Shoot, better login to refresh my characters.)
You won't go into chat rooms (or 'channels' in game terms) unless you specifically click on the enter channel button.
Also is it filled with people farming items and always wearing the best crap even as a new character?
Yes. And yes. What's wrong with farming items? I like it too :).
Twinking new characters is part of the fun.

My D2 account (I'm not sure if it still exists, need to check later tonight) has lots of unique/set/rare items stashed and unused. If you decide to start playing again, I can help you out with some golds and items. The account is at US WEST Ladder.
Daehawk

Post by Daehawk »

I used to use a maphack so I could see all the map and also a item grabber because lets face it if you did'nt you never looted any damn thing. Are these still workable in there?
Zitterbacke

Post by Zitterbacke »

You'll be banned for using those faster than you can say: "Damn, the Smith!"
Gaming? Nope, I'm into Bitwig.
Fuzzballx

Post by Fuzzballx »

Damn, The Smith!

So i reinstalled D2 and fired up hardcore closed ladder with a new druid. My first evening out, there were 3 people claiming to be using maphack in the game with me....whom I asked of: "You guys actually get away with using maphack here?" The answer: "Yea for sure"....ok so this isn't what I remembered of battle.net...I mean there's a memo on the news page right now about CD keys tied with maphack to be permabanned...wacko. And they were really using it too....

Anyhow, leveling was really rapid with 3 people in my party using maphack to fly us through the game....until someone logged in a level 54 character, and 3 of us level 12's died instantly to another type of hack....

So, bottom line, I don't think i'm going back to D2 hardcore....

So, I went and picked up Sacred Plus for 29.95 and fired up Sacred online closed hardcore. Whala, no pvp in Sacred unless you join a special labelled PVP server AND there's no need for maphack=) woot. Problem solved.

Anyone wanna join me in Sacred Hardcore? I'm up to level 27 with my first Sacred character. Havn't died yet, game seems pretty good, having more fun with it than I do with D2 and alls well that ends well.. Need more peeps to play with though.
Fretmute

Post by Fretmute »

I have Sacred, but never really got into it. I'd be willing to give it another shot.
ChrisGwinn

Post by ChrisGwinn »

I've never even played Sacred, and I can't remember why. Is there a demo?
Misguided

Post by Misguided »

I can't imagine why I'd remotely consider going back to Diablo when there's Fate instead (except if you prefer multiplayer).
ChrisGwinn

Post by ChrisGwinn »

Misguided wrote:I can't imagine why I'd remotely consider going back to Diablo when there's Fate instead (except if you prefer multiplayer).
I like the art direction of Diablo 2 better. Of course, I haven't seen Fate past the demo, so I should probably hold judgement on that point.
Big Jake

Post by Big Jake »

[quote]
I can't imagine why I'd remotely consider going back to Diablo when there's Fate instead (except if you prefer multiplayer).
You mean, other than archers and warriors actually develop different forms of attack?[?quote]

you mean, other than the fact that non-magic using characters actually gain different forms of attack as they develop? (A feature which Diablo 2 has and 90% of Diablo-toos don't...I'm looking squarely at Dungeon Seige as I say that)
I play Bjork tunes on Elite in Audiosurf.
SlapBone

Post by SlapBone »

Big Jake wrote:
You mean, other than archers and warriors actually develop different forms of attack?[?quote]

you mean, other than the fact that non-magic using characters actually gain different forms of attack as they develop? (A feature which Diablo 2 has and 90% of Diablo-toos don't...I'm looking squarely at Dungeon Seige as I say that)
This is true. As a melee character in Fate you can either melee or become a hybrid. No special attacks.
EddieA

Post by EddieA »

At first, I thought lack of melee skills would be a negative for FATE, but it's not. The game is plenty of fun without it, and its simplicity is really what makes it so much fun. Sometimes, you don't need added depth and complexity to make a fun game.
Fretmute

Post by Fretmute »

Misguided wrote:I can't imagine why I'd remotely consider going back to Diablo when there's Fate instead (except if you prefer multiplayer).
I love Fate as much as the next guy, but the simple fact is that if Diablo were equipped with modern graphics and effects, it would bury Fate pretty convincingly. It's larger, more detailed, and, as you've noted, adds multiplayer support.
Misguided

Post by Misguided »

That's a pretty big "if". I think Fate fares quite favorably to the original Diablo. Hopefully, if the game sells well enough, we might see a Fate 2 that will make a similar leap as Diablo made with its second version.

The thing I'd like to see with Fate is for the setting to gain a bit more of a unique flavor. I love it, but it has a very generic feel.
ChrisGwinn

Post by ChrisGwinn »

Misguided wrote:That's a pretty big "if". I think Fate fares quite favorably to the original Diablo. Hopefully, if the game sells well enough, we might see a Fate 2 that will make a similar leap as Diablo made with its second version.

The thing I'd like to see with Fate is for the setting to gain a bit more of a unique flavor. I love it, but it has a very generic feel.
Absoluely right on both counts. In my mind, Diablo 2 > Fate > Diablo. I like the art direction in D2, the skill advancement for non-casters, find the UI slightly preferable to Fate, and actually enjoy the spawning/waypoint system.