Mafia saves

If it's a video game it goes here.

Moderators: LawBeefaroni, Arcanis, $iljanus

Daehawk

Mafia saves

Post by Daehawk »

I just started this game and I cant find a way to save during the missions. Does it just save afterwards?
Blackhawk

Post by Blackhawk »

Checkpoints. There are about two spots in the game that could have used an extra checkpoint, but beyond that, you'll never need to replay more than a minute or two worth of game should you die.
(˙pǝsɹǝʌǝɹ uǝǝq sɐɥ ʎʇıʌɐɹƃ ʃɐuosɹǝd ʎW)
Daehawk

Post by Daehawk »

yeah Ive started noticing that it saves more than just at the start and end. It also helped that I discovered the city map key :P

And man are those old cars under powered. Going up a hill really puts a hurt on them. I just drove the race car and now they really seem crappy compared to it.
knob

Post by knob »

Daehawk wrote:yeah Ive started noticing that it saves more than just at the start and end. It also helped that I discovered the city map key :P

And man are those old cars under powered. Going up a hill really puts a hurt on them. I just drove the race car and now they really seem crappy compared to it.

They get much better. Especially if you do some of the side missions to get better cars.
If I had a sig, would you read it?
Daehawk

Post by Daehawk »

Side missions? Im just doing what they tell me. How do I get a side mission? Also can I stop my car and steal another?
Daehawk

Post by Daehawk »

Well I was about to say Im getting kinda tired driving across town all the time .It was fun in the beginning but not so much anymore. But then I got to the race and after 10 or so tries Ive given up. Really kills the game dont it.
Blackhawk

Post by Blackhawk »

Daehawk wrote:Well I was about to say Im getting kinda tired driving across town all the time .It was fun in the beginning but not so much anymore. But then I got to the race and after 10 or so tries Ive given up. Really kills the game dont it.
If you're running the latest patch, it should have given you an option to skip the race after the third loss. That segment was such a pain that a lot of people couldn't manage it, me included.
Octavious

Post by Octavious »

I never understood why people had so many issues with the race. I beat it on the first or second try. :?: Well if your not using a gamepad perhaps I could see it being a bit difficult. I used a gamepad for driving and a mouse and keyboard for when I was on foot. Let me tell you there's no other way to play the game. God I should go back and play that one of my fav. games of all-time.
Capitalism tries for a delicate balance: It attempts to work things out so that everyone gets just enough stuff to keep them from getting violent and trying to take other people’s stuff.

Shameless plug for my website: www.nettphoto.com
Coskesh

Post by Coskesh »

Don't quit the game based on that race man, you would really be missing out! I ended up beating it after 8 or 9 tries using the keyboard. I heard the patch not only lets you skip it, but makes it easier?? Anyway man, figure out a way to beat it and play the game! I remember that driving became much less of an issue later in the game - not sure if there was less driving, better cars, or I just got used to it.
Daehawk

Post by Daehawk »

Mine is version 1.3. There is an option to skip race if I hit esc but that just takes me to the failure screen and i have to try again.
rrmorton

Post by rrmorton »

Keep at it! Take the lead in the first U-turn. If you fail to do so, restart until you do. Don't try to catch up, just maintain the lead throughout. Learn the track and drive cautiously. Take the turns VERY SLOWLY. Look for speed in the straightaways. There's one S-turn about 3/4 of the way around where you can cut straight across and make up a lot of time. (The AI racers weave around it slower than they need to.)

GET PAST THE RACE. The game is phenomenal.

There are some annoying savepoints but for the most part its fine and absolutely worth it. Great missions, great story, great setting, great action. I can still picture the cable cars at night all lit up with commuters riding inside. Amazing.
Daehawk

Post by Daehawk »

Ive tried another 5 or so times. I always spin out..usually within 2 laps.
Freezer-TPF-

Post by Freezer-TPF- »

If you are patched, you should be able to set the race difficulty to "very easy" and win that way. That's what I did. You also need to drive carefully to avoid big spinouts.
When the sun goes out, we'll have eight minutes to live.
rrmorton

Post by rrmorton »

Daehawk wrote:Ive tried another 5 or so times. I always spin out..usually within 2 laps.
Go slower to go faster. Embrace the concept! Seriously!
Grundbegriff

Post by Grundbegriff »

Do whatever it takes to get through or past the race. Fantastic gaming awaits on the other side.

Yes, btw, you can steal cars. If you've learned how to break into a particular make/model, you can steal any instance of that make/model. Just don't let the authorities catch you in the act!
Blackhawk

Post by Blackhawk »

Octavious230 wrote:I never understood why people had so many issues with the race. I beat it on the first or second try.
Because I bought an action game, which I am good at, not a racing game, which I am absolutely awful at. In demos for racing games, pure driving games, and so forth, I generally can't even complete a lap without spinning out or hitting a wall and ending up last. Racing just isn't a skill I have. No big deal - I just avoid racing games, unless they sneak them into the middle of my action game.
noun

Post by noun »

Did anyone else think to themselves "Takes half damage!" after reading the title of this thread?
Suitably Ironic Moniker

Post by Suitably Ironic Moniker »

noun wrote:Did anyone else think to themselves "Takes half damage!" after reading the title of this thread?
Nope, just you. Geek :P .
When I was a boy, I laid in my twin-sized bed and wondered where my brother was. - Mitch Hedberg
Defiant

Post by Defiant »

Daehawk wrote:Well I was about to say Im getting kinda tired driving across town all the time .It was fun in the beginning but not so much anymore. But then I got to the race and after 10 or so tries Ive given up. Really kills the game dont it.
FYI:

In order to cheat at the race, do the following:

When you're about a quarter of the way through the track, you should see a short cut to the left. Take it. Once you reach the end of the short cut (just before it reconnects to the track) hit the "0" key (or whichever one is supposed to reset your car after it's tipped over). It will take you to just before the end of the track, and the counter will go up (if you don't hit the 0 key, and just go around through the short cut, the counter doesn't go up).

Do this 5 times.
Defiant

Post by Defiant »

Daehawk wrote:Side missions? Im just doing what they tell me. How do I get a side mission?
Occasionally, when you finish a mission, the instructions will say "you can either go to salieris bar (to finish the mission), or alternately, you can go to the whatsisname mechanic shop (near the bridge downtown(?)). Then you'll usually have some short, easy mission to do, and then the mechanic will teach you to drive a new car. (on a few, you may need to do some fighting, so try to make sure you've got more than 1 or 2 life points by that point - which I've had when finishing more than a few missions :D )
Little Raven

Post by Little Raven »

Nade wrote:(on a few, you may need to do some fighting, so try to make sure you've got more than 1 or 2 life points by that point - which I've had when finishing more than a few missions :D )
And if you do find yourself in that position, check out the mechanic's shop carefully. I seem to recall there's a health kit or two (or whatever equivilant Mafia uses) in the shop somewhere.
/. "She climbed backwards out her
\/ window into Outside Over There."
Daehawk

Post by Daehawk »

I dont know what life points are. As for the mechanic teaching me to steal a new car he does that on each new mission nearly. I get told what to do then go out and he shows me. At the end of a mission it usually says a new car has been added to my garage. I dont really do anything for them.

That trick where u use the side road in the race and replace your car. I tried that also. I stay in 12th place everytime Ive tried it.
rrmorton

Post by rrmorton »

We're talking about a different mechanic. He lives across town down under the bridge. Later on you'll get the option to go visit him for some side missions that will earn you new cars if you decide to tackle them.

All he meant by life points was that his health meter was down to its last pixel.
Spock's Brain

Post by Spock's Brain »

If you're really, really stuck the Official Mafia site has downloadable savegames.

Like the rest of the guys have said, it's well worth getting past the race by whatever means necessary. ;)
Defiant

Post by Defiant »

Here is a better description of the cheat:
Drive up to the first checkpoint and slow down. Behind the boulders is a short patch of sand where you can drive onto the closed road. This of course is the "wrong way" and if you plan to go through it, you will be faster but not complete the lap. You will not win unless you do the following. Drive up to the end of the road, just past the "Dunniel" (or something similar) sign, where you get your checkpoint information and select "Replace Car" (default is [Keypad 0]). The goal is now just a few inches away. You must to do this five times. By doing so, you can finish the race in a little less than six minutes. Note: Make sure you do not crash on the closed road as the "Replace Car" might not work there, or will place you back to the first checkpoint.
http://www.cheatcc.com/pc/mafia.html (warning, popups)
Defiant

Post by Defiant »

rrmorton wrote:We're talking about a different mechanic. He lives across town down under the bridge. Later on you'll get the option to go visit him for some side missions that will earn you new cars if you decide to tackle them.
Yeah, although I think you meet him just before the racing mission. (could be wrong, though)
Vinda-Lou

Post by Vinda-Lou »

noun wrote:Did anyone else think to themselves "Takes half damage!" after reading the title of this thread?
No, but I thought Jesus had some competition when reading the title of this thread. :twisted: