Marvel's Guardians of the Galaxy [Sqenix/Eidos Montreal]

If it's a video game it goes here.

Moderators: LawBeefaroni, Arcanis, $iljanus

Max Peck

Marvel's Guardians of the Galaxy [Sqenix/Eidos Montreal]

Post by Max Peck »

"Fire up Star-Lord’s jet boots for a wild ride across the cosmos in this third-person action-adventure game, a fresh take on Marvel’s Guardians of the Galaxy. With the unpredictable Guardians at your side, blast your way from one explosive situation to another, with original and iconic Marvel characters caught in a struggle for the fate of the universe. You got this. Probably.

Marvel's Guardians of the Galaxy is coming October 26, 2021 on PS5, PS4, Xbox Series X|S, Xbox One and PC."

"What? What? What?" -- The 14th Doctor

It's not enough to be a good player... you also have to play well. -- Siegbert Tarrasch
Blackhawk

Re: Marvel's Guardians of the Galaxy [Sqenix/Eidos Montreal]

Post by Blackhawk »

a fresh take on Marvel’s Guardians of the Galaxy.

In other words, the comics license was cheaper than the movie license.
(˙pǝsɹǝʌǝɹ uǝǝq sɐɥ ʎʇıʌɐɹƃ ʃɐuosɹǝd ʎW)
Isgrimnur

Post by Isgrimnur »

Film star likenesses ain't cheap.
It's almost as if people are the problem.
Max Peck

Post by Max Peck »

Neither are the voices that come with them.

It's not enough to be a good player... you also have to play well. -- Siegbert Tarrasch
Blackhawk

Post by Blackhawk »

"Celebrity voices impersonated" has been listed on more than one tie-in game, so that's not likely an issue unless it's in someone's contract.
(˙pǝsɹǝʌǝɹ uǝǝq sɐɥ ʎʇıʌɐɹƃ ʃɐuosɹǝd ʎW)
Max Peck

Post by Max Peck »

Max Peck

Post by Max Peck »

coopasonic

Post by coopasonic »

I was all set to pass on this based on some gameplay I saw, but then I watched the ACG review and now I am thinking I am back in -- it helps that I also don't really have anything taking to play now. It sounds like story choices actually matter and there are some meaningful choices in character build and combat.
-Coop
Black Lives Matter
Max Peck

Post by Max Peck »

Skinypupy

Post by Skinypupy »

I had mostly ignored this (I thought it was an xpac for the existing Squeenix Avengers game), but have to admit that I'm pretty intrigued based on the strong reviews.

Don't think it's a full price game for me, but it will be going on the wishlist for sure.
When darkness veils the world, four Warriors of Light shall come.
coopasonic

Post by coopasonic »

10 hours in and enjoying it. Almost nothing in common with Avengers so that's good. :D

Very linear. No gear to worry about. Story has been interesting with both some humor and some drama. Exploration/navigation is good, not great, with some interesting little traversal puzzles. Combat is also just OK. I think I finally figured out how to control the ship which likely means I've been through the last sequence where it will matter. :P

Anyway, I think this is a "the whole is greater than the sum of its parts" situation. Avengers combat is better (as Ms. Marvel anyway), in pretty much all other aspects I like GotG better.
-Coop
Black Lives Matter
Jag

Post by Jag »

coopasonic wrote: Thu Oct 28, 2021 3:50 pm 10 hours in and enjoying it. Almost nothing in common with Avengers so that's good. :D

Very linear. No gear to worry about. Story has been interesting with both some humor and some drama. Exploration/navigation is good, not great, with some interesting little traversal puzzles. Combat is also just OK. I think I finally figured out how to control the ship which likely means I've been through the last sequence where it will matter. :P

Anyway, I think this is a "the whole is greater than the sum of its parts" situation. Avengers combat is better (as Ms. Marvel anyway), in pretty much all other aspects I like GotG better.
Agree with all of this. I was hesitant because of Avengers concerns, but this plays nothing like Avengers. It is a tremendously fun and well written game. It would probably be the best GoTG movie yet, the interactions are just that good. The 80s easter eggs just had me nerding hard (Temple of Apshai??)

The only real weak spot in this game is the combat. It's ok, not great. For me gameplay is everything, but for this game I am giving it a pass because everything else is just so incredibly well done. I am actually listening to the dialog, the background discussions, reading everything, the freaking music! I am so much more invested in this story than any game i can remember. I have actually laughed out loud more at this game than many comedies I can remember. I never laugh at games. Maybe a sensible chuckle at most.

tl;dr absolutely fantastic game that has nothing in common with Avengers, if you like Marvel and GoTG then this is a must, must buy.
Max Peck

Post by Max Peck »

I played the first couple of chapters this morning. I could do with fewer QTEs, but the story and acting is top notch.

coopasonic

Post by coopasonic »

...and finished. I started to appreciate the combat more towards the end. My only real frustration was with some of the dynamic navigation stuff that caused grief where no grief should be found... sliding into jumps and collapsing terrain with pointlessly narrow timing.
-Coop
Black Lives Matter
Jaddison

Post by Jaddison »

is there any replayability factor or is it just get through the story and done?
coopasonic

Post by coopasonic »

I don't see much replayability unless you want to play higher difficulties to punish yourself. It's a pretty linear experience where you can pretty easily get all of the abilities and perks (you may will miss outfits)
-Coop
Black Lives Matter
Ralph-Wiggum

Post by Ralph-Wiggum »

Do you have a rough estimate of how long it took to beat? Looks interesting, but can wait until it drops to $20 in a few months.
Black Lives Matter
Skinypupy

Post by Skinypupy »

I needed a palate cleanser after yesterday’s Dungeon Encounters debacle, so I picked this one up. Played the first hour or so this morning and it’s fantastic so far. The digital and voice acting is fantastic, the environments are beautiful, combat feels smooth, and it’s really just a blast to play.

So far, so good. Very impressed.
IceBear

Post by IceBear »

coopasonic wrote: Sat Oct 30, 2021 4:04 pm I don't see much replayability unless you want to play higher difficulties to punish yourself. It's a pretty linear experience where you can pretty easily get all of the abilities and perks (you may will miss outfits)
I did notice a few places that because of my decisions the game said "Because of A you will now have to do X". I'm not sure how different things would have gone if I had made different choices. I suspect it would have gone the same way and the game is trying to make it look like I had influence.
Jag

Post by Jag »

Ralph-Wiggum wrote: Sat Oct 30, 2021 9:22 pm Do you have a rough estimate of how long it took to beat? Looks interesting, but can wait until it drops to $20 in a few months.
How long to beat has it at around 18-20 hours, although I've clocked much more than that, I'm a few chapters from the end.

I didn't find the QTEs to be terrible, but I still turn them off. Just don't like it.
coopasonic

Post by coopasonic »

Ralph-Wiggum wrote: Sat Oct 30, 2021 9:22 pm Do you have a rough estimate of how long it took to beat? Looks interesting, but can wait until it drops to $20 in a few months.
Steam had me at 18 hours but I left it running a little bit when I had to do dad stuff so call it 17 hours.
IceBear wrote: Sat Oct 30, 2021 10:51 pm
coopasonic wrote: Sat Oct 30, 2021 4:04 pm I don't see much replayability unless you want to play higher difficulties to punish yourself. It's a pretty linear experience where you can pretty easily get all of the abilities and perks (you may will miss outfits)
I did notice a few places that because of my decisions the game said "Because of A you will now have to do X". I'm not sure how different things would have gone if I had made different choices. I suspect it would have gone the same way and the game is trying to make it look like I had influence.
Yeah, the ones I saw seemed like places where I got a little extra help for being helpful to others. I doubt there is much that really affects the flow of the game enough for a replay. At the end it does give a little description of what happens to various characters after the ending and there might be impact there too.
-Coop
Black Lives Matter
Skinypupy

Post by Skinypupy »

I'm about halfway through I think (just started Chapter 9), and the game has definitely lost some steam. The story is still kinda interesting and all the locales are beautiful, but some of the puzzles can be annoying as hell (the one with the circuit switches hidden in the wall that you have to shoot with the lightning gun took me ages to figure out) and the combat is incredibly dull. It's "cool down simulator", basically.

Not sure the story is interesting enough to keep at it. I might though, simply because I have nothing else that's grabbing me at the moment.
Isgrimnur

Post by Isgrimnur »

Now on GamePass
It's almost as if people are the problem.
Victoria Raverna

Post by Victoria Raverna »

Anyone played this with XBOX controller on PC? Did you have problem with the on screen tutorial messages sometime showed Playstation buttons instead of XBOX?

It was confusing since sometime it told me to use RB but then sometime it is R1. Same with the XY/AB buttons, sometime instead of that, it told me to use Circle, X, Square, Triangle buttons.
Octavious

Post by Octavious »

Yup I had the same problem. Was pretty annoying. Should have been easy to patch, but it's been out for a while now.
Capitalism tries for a delicate balance: It attempts to work things out so that everyone gets just enough stuff to keep them from getting violent and trying to take other people’s stuff.

Shameless plug for my website: www.nettphoto.com
Daehawk

Post by Daehawk »

Playing with an Xbone controller on PC no prob.

Game must be riddled with bugs. Im on mission one and have fallen through the floor twice and now Im stuck at a workbench. The game took over to show me a small cutscene at the table where I approach, take an object, then get back control. But Im stuck at the table lol. I cant move. Sigh. Seems like a cool game but the bugs are annoying
Last edited by Daehawk on Sat Jan 13, 2024 8:51 pm, edited 1 time in total.
--------------------------------------------
I am Dyslexic of Borg, prepare to have your ass laminated.
I guess Ray Butts has ate his last pancake.
http://steamcommunity.com/id/daehawk
"Has high IQ. Refuses to apply it"
msteelers

Post by msteelers »

I’ve started this twice, enjoyed it, and then got distracted by something else. One day I’ll come back and finish it.
Daehawk

Post by Daehawk »

Still having fun in here....dont mind me..Rocket says we can make the boom bigger is we add that lady's tea plant. I say go for it...hey is that my kid?I think it is. Im proud of her. Shall see
--------------------------------------------
I am Dyslexic of Borg, prepare to have your ass laminated.
I guess Ray Butts has ate his last pancake.
http://steamcommunity.com/id/daehawk
"Has high IQ. Refuses to apply it"
msteelers

Post by msteelers »

I decided to finish this game, and overall it’s a fun but forgettable game. The story and gameplay is meh, but I thought the voice acting was fantastic.