Video Games Randomness - Prioritize specific game threads!

If it's a video game it goes here.

Moderators: LawBeefaroni, Arcanis, $iljanus

Blackhawk

Re: Video Games Randomness - Prioritize specific game threads!

Post by Blackhawk »

Carpet_pissr wrote: Wed Oct 13, 2021 12:30 pm
Blackhawk wrote: Wed Oct 13, 2021 8:41 am
Carpet_pissr wrote: Wed Oct 13, 2021 7:36 am
Daehawk wrote: Tue Oct 12, 2021 8:27 pm Especially with Nexus changing their ways to be evil as well.
Explain
The Nexus is essentially taking control of mods published to their site away from the authors. Longer explanations and discussions are out there, but a bunch of mod communities are beginning to steer away from them.
Good to know. I am not big on modding, just do it occasionally (and when necessary to run something old), so kinda out of the loop.

What should I be using instead?

I honestly don't know how things will settle. I haven't published anything on the Nexus since Oblivion, and I'm not playing any FO/ES games right now, so I haven't really been following the process - I'll just check back in for the results when the dust settles.
(˙pǝsɹǝʌǝɹ uǝǝq sɐɥ ʎʇıʌɐɹƃ ʃɐuosɹǝd ʎW)
Daehawk

Post by Daehawk »

Here a trailer for COD Vangard. I have no interest. COD has had bad controls for a while now plus I was never a fan of the zombie stuff. But someone may be.

--------------------------------------------
I am Dyslexic of Borg, prepare to have your ass laminated.
I guess Ray Butts has ate his last pancake.
http://steamcommunity.com/id/daehawk
"Has high IQ. Refuses to apply it"
Kasey Chang

Post by Kasey Chang »

Starting a Titan Quest game from scratch. I remember just randomly picking **** skills and not making any particular build. This time, I'm taking the Warden route (Defense + Hunting). Bosses are no problem as I have like 1800 hp at level 12, and I'm picking up spear that does like 25% piercing damage, which can't be stopped. The guide suggests dumping more points into Hunting until I get to 32 mastery, which opens "volley", which is basically a chance at triple-strike, and obviously triple damage. I can also enable iron will when I go defense mastery 24, which makes me immune to most effects like stun, freeze, and so on. Sounds great!

I had the Dionysus' wineskin token added to one of my armors, and now I get a good chance of inflicting stun on my target for 2 seconds. That's often enough to take away a large chunk of his HP, if not kill him outright.

I'm 2/3rd done with Greece. I'm doing EVERY sidequest I can. Just got Iron Lore up to 6/6 which is super resistant to all negative effects. Next will be hunting and volley. Got past Athens to Pernassus.
My game FAQs | Playing: She Will Punish Them, Sunrider: Mask of Arcadius, The Outer Worlds
Daehawk

Post by Daehawk »

I dont understand what this blockchain stuff is. Does this mean that some games on Epic can make other people money and use up my computer to do it while I play the game? If so fuck that.

Kasey Chang

Post by Kasey Chang »

In Titan Quest, finished off Greece, and gotten maybe 20% into Egypt, just got to Giza and the Sphinx, got the item, and now I need to push beyond that. The Warden build so far is very impressive, esp. when I can supplement the stabby spear with shield bash (batter). At L22, one shield bash can be 350+ damage, and 1 right now spear stab DPS is at 150. Maybe not top of the line, but definitely better than my first attempt through 10 years ago.
My game FAQs | Playing: She Will Punish Them, Sunrider: Mask of Arcadius, The Outer Worlds
Rumpy

Post by Rumpy »

Daehawk wrote: Sat Oct 16, 2021 7:32 pm I dont understand what this blockchain stuff is. Does this mean that some games on Epic can make other people money and use up my computer to do it while I play the game? If so fuck that.
Ugh, just another reason to not like them. This is proof that they'll do anything if they see an opportunity to make money, and Sweeney himself about a month ago said that Epic wouldn’t touch NFTs because “the whole field is currently tangled up with an intractable mix of scams, interesting decentralized tech foundations, and scams.” This is them reversing course to profit from Valve's decision. Skeevy as hell.
PC:
Ryzen 5 3600
32GB RAM
2x1TB NVMe Drives
GTX 1660 Ti
jztemple2

Post by jztemple2 »

I'm only playing one game (SnowRunner) actively on Epic. I've gotten another couple because of the $10 off coupons, but I think I'll be avoiding Epic in the future. I wonder how I delete my account and make sure it is really deleted...
My father said that anything is interesting if you bother to read about it - Michael C. Harrold
hitbyambulance

Post by hitbyambulance »

blockchain: the technology solution (perpetually) in search of a problem
Kasey Chang

Post by Kasey Chang »

90% done with TQ in Egypt, searching for the Telkine now, may have a chance to kill him... I will probably need more potions. :D

EDIT Just wiped out the 2nd Telkine in Egypt, which means I'm heading off to Babylon and from there onto Asia. The Warden build is working out great. At L25, I'm doing 150-200 damage per hit, and my shield batter is doing 350-400 damage. Once I got hunting up to 32 and maxed out volley, I'm going back for some passive shield combat bonuses. And the best thing is, I'm protected against almost everything. Against the 2nd Telkine, who's L27 I think, I simply chug a potion every 10 seconds, and kept on plugging the dude full of arrows, which are piercing, thanks to plenty warden build and piercing bonus charms and rings and whatnot, as he's floating and I can't get close enough to spear-stab him, at least not very often.

I keep 75 potions around, and while I may need them if I run into a large mob or multiple minibosses, against smaller mobs I need no potions at all. I'm net positive on potions (I find them faster than I use them, until I see a boss).
Last edited by Kasey Chang on Mon Oct 18, 2021 11:16 am, edited 3 times in total.
Max Peck

Post by Max Peck »

jztemple2 wrote: Sun Oct 17, 2021 9:58 pm I wonder how I delete my account and make sure it is really deleted...
Deleting an Epic account doesn't seem difficult, but if you don't trust them enough to believe they are actually deleting it, as opposed to doing something nefarious with it, well... ¯\_ (ツ)_/¯

How do I delete my Epic Games Account?
"What? What? What?" -- The 14th Doctor

It's not enough to be a good player... you also have to play well. -- Siegbert Tarrasch
dbt1949

Post by dbt1949 »

I think I deleted my Epic account. You have to "apply" to have you account deleted and even then they say if you try and sign back in your account will be restored. Requires e-mails and everything.
Ye Olde Farte
Double Ought Forty
aka dbt1949
Blackhawk

Post by Blackhawk »

They can allow blockchain and still not allow NFTs. I'm just not sure what good it would do besides 'taking a stance', which may be the point. If they hold with both declarations, it is essentially and empty statement to thumb their noses at Valve.
(˙pǝsɹǝʌǝɹ uǝǝq sɐɥ ʎʇıʌɐɹƃ ʃɐuosɹǝd ʎW)
Anonymous Bosch

Post by Anonymous Bosch »

hitbyambulance wrote: Sun Oct 17, 2021 11:39 pm blockchain: the technology solution (perpetually) in search of a problem

"Blockchains are like grappling hooks, in that it's extremely cool when you encounter a problem for which they're the right solution, but it happens way too rarely in real life."
"There is only one basic human right, the right to do as you damn well please. And with it comes the only basic human duty, the duty to take the consequences." — P. J. O'Rourke
Rumpy

Post by Rumpy »

Blackhawk wrote: Mon Oct 18, 2021 8:48 am They can allow blockchain and still not allow NFTs. I'm just not sure what good it would do besides 'taking a stance', which may be the point. If they hold with both declarations, it is essentially and empty statement to thumb their noses at Valve.
To make it even more confusing, Sweeney states that as a game developer they're not interested, but as a tech company they're open to others taking the plunge. It's very murky. It definitely has the feel of Epic wanting to have their cake and eat it too.

PC:
Ryzen 5 3600
32GB RAM
2x1TB NVMe Drives
GTX 1660 Ti
Kasey Chang

Post by Kasey Chang »

Blockchain, IMHO, is still a buzzword solution looking for a problem. At the VERY essence, it is just a VERY VERY distributed and immutable database with global sync of transaction records. It is useful for trading, but I honestly don't see how it can be of use in a game, unless it's like... a persistent world of some sort?
Isgrimnur

Post by Isgrimnur »

It's not a database. It's a sparkling linked list.
It's almost as if people are the problem.
dbt1949

Post by dbt1949 »

dbt1949 wrote: Mon Oct 18, 2021 8:03 am I think I deleted my Epic account. You have to "apply" to have you account deleted and even then they say if you try and sign back in your account will be restored. Requires e-mails and everything.
Just received an e-mail today from Epic saying they're processing my request to have my account deleted.Been a week and a half to two weeks since I "requested" it.
Ye Olde Farte
Double Ought Forty
aka dbt1949
Max Peck

Post by Max Peck »

The process has a 2-week delay built in. I'd guess it's a cooling off period to allow people who rage quit after being teabagged by teenage serial killers one too many times to decide if they're really ready to kick their Fortnite habit.

It's not enough to be a good player... you also have to play well. -- Siegbert Tarrasch
dbt1949

Post by dbt1949 »

It certainly wasn't designed for improved customer relations. :?
Ye Olde Farte
Double Ought Forty
aka dbt1949
Hrothgar

Post by Hrothgar »

dbt1949 wrote: Wed Oct 20, 2021 1:10 am It certainly wasn't designed for improved customer relations. :?
Honestly, why would they (or any company) care about relations with someone who just told Epic they never want to do business with them again?
dbt1949

Post by dbt1949 »

Because someday I might want to come back? I never liked their terms of service anyways. One of the reasons I left.
Ye Olde Farte
Double Ought Forty
aka dbt1949
Paingod

Post by Paingod »

Hrothgar wrote: Wed Oct 20, 2021 1:45 am
dbt1949 wrote: Wed Oct 20, 2021 1:10 am It certainly wasn't designed for improved customer relations. :?
Honestly, why would they (or any company) care about relations with someone who just told Epic they never want to do business with them again?
Marketing 101 - It's more cost effective to work to keep your existing customers as customers than it is to work to bring in new customers.

New customers are great - but they're an unknown. Even a customer that wants to leave is still a customer.
Black Lives Matter

2021-01-20: The first good night's sleep I had in 4 years.
Daehawk

Post by Daehawk »

Decided to replay the Riddick games. Figured id played the first one to death though so only Dark Athena. Yup cant find it of course. Doesn't seem to be on any digital service. So must be in a box somewhere...f me.
Anonymous Bosch

Daehawk wrote: Wed Oct 20, 2021 10:00 pm Decided to replay the Riddick games. Figured id played the first one to death though so only Dark Athena. Yup cant find it of course. Doesn't seem to be on any digital service. So must be in a box somewhere...f me.
PC Gaming Wiki suggests it was previously available through GOG. So you may want to check your GOG library. Otherwise, you're stuck with Amazon Digital Download and TAGES DRM.
"There is only one basic human right, the right to do as you damn well please. And with it comes the only basic human duty, the duty to take the consequences." — P. J. O'Rourke
Max Peck

Post by Max Peck »

Yeah, Dark Athena is in my GOG library. According to my order history, it was a freebie back in Nov 2015.

Daehawk

Post by Daehawk »

Guess I dont own it digi then. You'd think Id grabbed it for free at least. argh.
Max Peck

Post by Max Peck »

It looks like it was a free reward that was unlocked during a sale event, along with System Shock 2.

Daehawk

Post by Daehawk »

I do have SS2 on there. As you've seen in my other posts it never fails that if I think of a older game I might enjoy a replay on I just cant find it. Even when I know i own it i na box it will be the one I cant find. Ive looked at my shelves and dont see it from looking in order. I always keep the stuff in alphabetical order......but I dont have room so theres lots piled on top of others and in front and such.

Im not sure I ever owned it in digital..was hoping though. Its also not for sale anywhere digital . So its here somewhere. But I haven't seen either of those games in no telling how long. Even when looking deeply for other games I dont have a memory of seeing them.

Going to do a deep once over again later. Damnit Im moving some stuff!....This is why I need storage boxes. To not only clean this room but to clean my shelving and rearrange my games.
Anonymous Bosch

Daehawk wrote: Thu Oct 21, 2021 11:16 am Im not sure I ever owned it in digital..was hoping though. Its also not for sale anywhere digital.
As I mentioned above, the game is apparently still available through Amazon Digital Download, as PC Gaming Wiki explains:
pcgamingwiki.com wrote:Set up the Amazon Digital Download
The best way to currently get the game digitally is via Amazon Digital Download. After buying and downloading the game, follow these steps:
  1. Install the downloaded game.
  2. Update TAGES (x64 version for most).
  3. Run the game in compatibilty mode for Windows XP Service Pack 3.
  4. When first launching the game, enter the DRM key that you got. Now you're good to go.
Daehawk

Post by Daehawk »

[*crawls back into chat*] .....found it.

It was behind my giant Starcraft 2 box stuffed into the R's section for Riddick instead of where it 'should' be in the C area for Chronicles of Riddick. Both of them were there. sigh. This is what happens when I have no room.

I will keep that digital version in mind though as I like having digi versions as backups. Dont have any moola right now. Plus they are easier to use..or find :) And they are usually patched up to date.
Skinypupy

Post by Skinypupy »

I think I'm going to splurge this year and set up an arcade in the playroom for Christmas. Will be purchasing the Midway Legacy Edition (MK 1, 2, 3, Joust, Defender, Gauntlet, etc.) and the Bandai Namco Legacy Edition (a bunch of Pac-Mans, Galaga, Dig-Dug). The one I really want is the Ms. Pac Man/Galaga cabinet, but it's still not showing as available (lists as "mid-October") so I'm not sure it'd get here in time for Christmas. On the fence with the Star Wars Pinball machine as well. It'd be cool, but $750 is a lot.

Will be the fulfillment of a childhood dream, if I can pull it off. :)
When darkness veils the world, four Warriors of Light shall come.
Daehawk

Post by Daehawk »

Is it intervention time? :)

An arcade has been a dream of mine since I was a kid. If I ever win a $800+ million lotto Im building one just like the one I visited as a kid. It will be free to the public. A museum in a way.
Carpet_pissr

Post by Carpet_pissr »

Skinypupy wrote: Thu Oct 21, 2021 1:28 pm I think I'm going to splurge this year and set up an arcade in the playroom for Christmas. Will be purchasing the Midway Legacy Edition (MK 1, 2, 3, Joust, Defender, Gauntlet, etc.) and the Bandai Namco Legacy Edition (a bunch of Pac-Mans, Galaga, Dig-Dug). The one I really want is the Ms. Pac Man/Galaga cabinet, but it's still not showing as available (lists as "mid-October") so I'm not sure it'd get here in time for Christmas. On the fence with the Star Wars Pinball machine as well. It'd be cool, but $750 is a lot.

I've been FAR down that research rabbit hole, and for a while strongly considered building an arcade cab myself - until the Legends cabs (both arcade AND now pinball!) came out and it basically shot a hole in my DIY project simply due to cost comparisons. Add to that the materials price hike in the pandemic, and there's just no justifying it (unless you just want to do the building).

I HIGHLY recommend you look at the Legends stuff, even though many say you need to replace the exciters on the pinball table with better ones on day one.

You can buy direct, but if you have a Sam's Club near you:
Digital Pinball:
https://www.samsclub.com/p/legends-pinb ... _product_2

Ultimate Arcade:
https://www.samsclub.com/p/legends-home ... _product_1

Here's a video comparing the one you linked with the Legends table (and another one I am not familiar with, on the far right).

https://youtu.be/5zKBGcQAecc

No talking, the guy just plays the same SW pinball table on three different physical (digital) pinball machines. The one you are considering has super low resolution - just something to consider. You can see a visible and noticeable difference in the image quality even on that crappily shot video when they pull away. Not just resolution, but contrast as well.
Daehawk

Post by Daehawk »

A full screen video pinball would have been mind blowing in the 80s. Now though Im a purist and prefer mechanical pinball. Although I do approve of the use of LEDS in place of bulbs.
Skinypupy

Post by Skinypupy »

Carpet_pissr wrote: Thu Oct 21, 2021 1:42 pm
Skinypupy wrote: Thu Oct 21, 2021 1:28 pm I think I'm going to splurge this year and set up an arcade in the playroom for Christmas. Will be purchasing the Midway Legacy Edition (MK 1, 2, 3, Joust, Defender, Gauntlet, etc.) and the Bandai Namco Legacy Edition (a bunch of Pac-Mans, Galaga, Dig-Dug). The one I really want is the Ms. Pac Man/Galaga cabinet, but it's still not showing as available (lists as "mid-October") so I'm not sure it'd get here in time for Christmas. On the fence with the Star Wars Pinball machine as well. It'd be cool, but $750 is a lot.

I've been FAR down that research rabbit hole, and for a while strongly considered building an arcade cab myself - until the Legends cabs (both arcade AND now pinball!) came out and it basically shot a hole in my DIY project simply due to cost comparisons. Add to that the materials price hike in the pandemic, and there's just no justifying it (unless you just want to do the building).

I HIGHLY recommend you look at the Legends stuff, even though many say you need to replace the exciters on the pinball table with better ones on day one.

You can buy direct, but if you have a Sam's Club near you:
Digital Pinball:
https://www.samsclub.com/p/legends-pinb ... _product_2

Ultimate Arcade:
https://www.samsclub.com/p/legends-home ... _product_1

Here's a video comparing the one you linked with the Legends table (and another one I am not familiar with, on the far right).

https://youtu.be/5zKBGcQAecc

No talking, the guy just plays the same SW pinball table on three different physical (digital) pinball machines. The one you are considering has super low resolution - just something to consider. You can see a visible and noticeable difference in the image quality even on that crappily shot video when they pull away. Not just resolution, but contrast as well.
Good info, thanks. The three pinball comparison is interesting. The 1Up table obviously looks the worst, but it seems like the other two have lots of homebrewing to get them functional for those SW tables (which was my primary reason for getting them). He mentions he has a PC hooked up to the Legends one, running Pinball FX3. I don't exactly have a spare PC lying around these days, so I fear that getting my setup to that level of functionality would end up being cost-prohibitive.

Maybe I'll skip the pinball and just grab that Legends Arcade as the third cabinet instead. Mrs. Skinypupy actually saw one at Sams the other day and asked if I'd be interested. I only saw the 15 games listed on the front that thought that's all it had. :lol: With 300, I'm much more interested...although I still want the PacMan, Galaga, Joust, MK, Defender, Rampage, and Joust from the 1Up cabinets.
When darkness veils the world, four Warriors of Light shall come.
coopasonic

Post by coopasonic »

I live 6 miles from the national videogame museum (note website is tragically bad). Cheaper to just stop by there if I get the itch.
-Coop
Black Lives Matter
Daehawk

Post by Daehawk »

this is the closest thing to me.....

Chattanooga Pinball Museum
Daehawk

Post by Daehawk »

Wonder if I can register my cd copies online..bet I cant.
Daehawk

Post by Daehawk »

Daehawk wrote: Thu Oct 21, 2021 5:19 pm Wonder if I can register my cd copies online..bet I cant.
Nope could not. its a strange feeling playing a game and having to have the cd in the drive too like the old days lol. I used to sometimes use CD cracks but the last time I tried that I got a viri that forced me to fdisk my entire system.
coopasonic

Post by coopasonic »

None of my past 3 PCs have a CD drive. I might have an external drive in a box somewhere, maybe.
-Coop
Black Lives Matter