Nintendo Switch = NX

If it's a video game it goes here.

Moderators: LawBeefaroni, Arcanis, $iljanus

Montag

Re: Nintendo Switch = NX

Post by Montag »

stessier wrote: Sun Jun 06, 2021 11:25 am Anyone have any recommendations for a micro SD card for the Switch? Will any card (and size) work? Can you swap between cards? We've had them for over a year and only just now hit a point where this is even a concern because the kids want Fortnite. I'm thinking a 256 GB card might be the best bang for the buck at $35.
Put emphasis on speed vs size. UH3 or better.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/SD_card#Class
words
Zaxxon
Forum Moderator

Post by Zaxxon »

Zaxxon wrote: Sat Jan 02, 2021 2:53 pm
Octavious wrote: Sat Jan 02, 2021 2:51 pm Xenoblades Definitive Edition is amazeballs if you like jrpgs. A lot of people like it better than the second one. I haven't played the second yet to compare.
I keep saying I'll get this when it goes on sale, but haven't caught it on sale yet. I liked 2, but didn't finish as the menu system eventually got too cumbersome for me.
Hey, guess what is cheapo on the summer sale? Just bought it. Now just waiting on the Switch's insufferable download speed to get the job done (it typically moves at 20-25 Mbps, despite our really good wifi). XC is not small.
Sudy

Post by Sudy »

Oh man, I want to get that or BotW or Fire Emblem, but even on sale they're $55 CAD. Sudy does not pay $55 for games (let alone $80) unless they're Diablo 4.

I saw a commercial on late night TV. It said, "Forget everything you know about slipcovers." So I did. And it was a load off my mind. Then the commercial tried to sell me slipcovers, and I didn't know what the hell they were. -- Mitch Hedberg
Zaxxon
Forum Moderator

Post by Zaxxon »

Sudy wrote: Tue Jun 15, 2021 8:38 pm Oh man, I want to get that or BotW or Fire Emblem, but even on sale they're $55 CAD. Sudy does not pay $55 for games (let alone $80) unless they're Diablo 4.
BotW is required to maintain gamer card at this point.
Sudy

Post by Sudy »

I only got my NX this winter, OK? There's still a chance Nintendo will give it the Player's Choice treatment and slash the cost, right? Right??

Besides, I played it for an hour at a buddy's and realized I'd just spend the whole game hoarding weapons I'd be afraid to exhaust.

I saw a commercial on late night TV. It said, "Forget everything you know about slipcovers." So I did. And it was a load off my mind. Then the commercial tried to sell me slipcovers, and I didn't know what the hell they were. -- Mitch Hedberg
Zaxxon
Forum Moderator

Post by Zaxxon »

Sudy wrote: Tue Jun 15, 2021 8:50 pm I only got my NX this winter, OK? There's still a chance Nintendo will give it the Player's Choice treatment and slash the cost, right? Right??

Besides, I played it for an hour at a buddy's and realized I'd just spend the whole game hoarding weapons I'd be afraid to exhaust.
:D
Isgrimnur

Post by Isgrimnur »

Don't forget to take pictures of all of them.
It's almost as if people are the problem.
Skinypupy

Post by Skinypupy »

Zaxxon wrote: Tue Jun 15, 2021 8:41 pm BotW is required to maintain gamer card at this point.
Meh.
When darkness veils the world, four Warriors of Light shall come.
Zaxxon
Forum Moderator

Post by Zaxxon »

Skinypupy wrote: Wed Jun 16, 2021 8:39 am
Zaxxon wrote: Tue Jun 15, 2021 8:41 pm BotW is required to maintain gamer card at this point.
Meh.
Blackhawk

Post by Blackhawk »

I'll go with him.
(˙pǝsɹǝʌǝɹ uǝǝq sɐɥ ʎʇıʌɐɹƃ ʃɐuosɹǝd ʎW)
Zaxxon
Forum Moderator

Post by Zaxxon »

Blackhawk wrote: Wed Jun 16, 2021 8:49 am I'll go with him.
I should have said 'trying' BotW is required. Loving it is not required.
coopasonic

Post by coopasonic »

Skinypupy wrote: Wed Jun 16, 2021 8:39 am
Meh.
I'm in a similar place, however I recognize it as an important game, just not one for me.

I don't think I've put more than 3-4 hours into any game on the Switch (attempts were BotW, Mario + Rabbids, Puyo Puyo Tetris and Mario Tennis Aces)... or the Wii U and only one game for the Wii. I don't think I ever even bought a gamecube. So other than Monster Lab it has been 25 years since I've been into a game on a Nintendo console. Now that makes me wonder what I was playing on the 64 and damned if I can recall. Having looked at the top rated N64 games now I can start to understand why I skipped the Gamecube and had a hard time getting into anything after. Nintendo exclusives just aren't my jam. So I guess I'd say playstation ruined nintendo for me.
-Coop
Black Lives Matter
Skinypupy

Post by Skinypupy »

coopasonic wrote: Wed Jun 16, 2021 8:52 am Nintendo exclusives just aren't my jam.
I'm generally in the same boat. Zelda, Mario, Metroid, Fire Emblem...I'm ambivalent towards all of them. They can be kinda fun to mess around with if the mood strikes, but I don't think I've ever actually finished a game in any of those series.

I mostly bought both the Switch, Wii U, and Gamecube for the JRPG's. The Switch's portability was a big selling point too, back when I used to travel.
Sudy

Post by Sudy »

IMO first-party Nintendo titles are a lot like Disney movies. What they do, they do better than everybody else. I'm often reluctant to try them (thinking I want something more mature), but when I do, I enjoy them more than I thought I would. However, they're heavily stylized, like to handhold and gatekeep, and do have their misses.

My gaming life would be empty without my memories of NES, SNES, and to a lesser extent N64 titles. But these days, they're primarily a way for me to connect with my younger sister who's leaning disabled. Occasionally Mrs. Nym finds something she'll get into. Handhelds aside, my household has always had the Nintendo consoles outside of the Wii U, even if it's usually deep into their life cycles these days. I doubt I'd have gotten a Switch if it weren't for having been gifted one last Christmas.

But Nintendo gaming rarely meets all my "needs", and I have no interest in paying more to play non-exclusives on their consoles.

Zaxxon
Forum Moderator

Post by Zaxxon »

This is cool and all, but give us 4k already!

Zaxxon
Forum Moderator

Post by Zaxxon »

Thread ...

naednek

Post by naednek »

well now we know why they didn't announce anything at E3. That's pretty underwhelming
hepcat - "I agree with Naednek"
Lorini

Post by Lorini »

naednek wrote: Tue Jul 06, 2021 11:48 am well now we know why they didn't announce anything at E3. That's pretty underwhelming
My 30 year old son and I completely agree. I guess they think people are going to shell out $350 for clarity?? The resolution has not changed at all, so you're not getting more pixels. Or $350 for a kickstand upgrade? Really?

Naturally there's always the gotta have everything new crowd who'll buy it but I suspect it'll be a bust in the long run. I'd certainly buy a regular switch over this.
Black Lives Matter
wonderpug

Post by wonderpug »

I was hoping to replace my current Switch this year since its fan has been having issues, but this certainly isn’t what I expected. Even a minor minor CPU upgrade would have made me happy. My family and I use the Switch docked more than handheld, so the OLED means almost nothing to me.
Zaxxon
Forum Moderator

Post by Zaxxon »

wonderpug wrote: Tue Jul 06, 2021 12:58 pm I was hoping to replace my current Switch this year since its fan has been having issues, but this certainly isn’t what I expected. Even a minor minor CPU upgrade would have made me happy. My family and I use the Switch docked more than handheld, so the OLED means almost nothing to me.
Similar. Although I fixed my fan issues with a $20 kit from eBay.
wonderpug

Post by wonderpug »

Zaxxon wrote: Tue Jul 06, 2021 1:08 pm
wonderpug wrote: Tue Jul 06, 2021 12:58 pm I was hoping to replace my current Switch this year since its fan has been having issues, but this certainly isn’t what I expected. Even a minor minor CPU upgrade would have made me happy. My family and I use the Switch docked more than handheld, so the OLED means almost nothing to me.
Similar. Although I fixed my fan issues with a $20 kit from eBay.
I've got a replacement fan kit but I can't get the damn screws off to open the system! I got the exact kinds of screwdrivers needed, then I tried a screw extractor kit, then I started trying drilling them out. Next up is to try supergluing something to the screws to get some extra leverage.
Zaxxon
Forum Moderator

Post by Zaxxon »

That's annoying. I had a little trouble with one of the screws, but nothing that bad.
JCC

Post by JCC »

I am not that surprised about them not doing 4K yet but that minor upgrade costing $50 is a bad move. Presumably, this will be the only Switch (with HDMI) model soon which basically means they have increased the price of their home console years after its release - which makes no damn sense. So very Nintendo.

(Still can't wait for Metroid Dread... damnit)
Black Lives Matter

"You know, the very powerful and the very stupid have one thing in common: they don't alter their views to fit the facts; they alter the facts to fit their views." - The 4th Doctor
Skinypupy

Post by Skinypupy »

Had a weird thing tonight, curious if this has happened to anyone else.

We only own one Switch, so it had (obviously) been designated as the “primary console”. This means that everyone who has a profile on this Switch can play downloaded games on it.

Kids went to log into Animal Crossing tonight and got a message saying “this user isn’t authorized to access this software”. In digging a bit, it looks like this Switch somehow got un-designated as the primary console. The settings now say “another console has been designated as the primary console”. Which is weird, since we don’t own another Switch. My account doesn’t seem to have been hacked in any way (I changed my passwords anyways, just in case)…it just somehow disconnected this Switch.

I can go into my account on Nintendo’s website and reset it, but that can only be done once a year. That’s probably what I’ll need to do, but I’m a little nervous pulling that trigger because I don’t know how it got un-designated in the first place.

Anyone else run into this?
Daveman

Post by Daveman »

Just an FYI, but today there was a Switch system update that now let's you connect bluetooth headset/earbuds.
Hrothgar

Post by Hrothgar »

There appear to be some caveats. If you use BT headphones, it will slow down your wake speed and limit the number of wireless controllers to two. If you have trouble pairing, it can really slow down your wake time.
coopasonic

Post by coopasonic »

I was excited for Metroid Dread. I love metroidvanias. I finally got it for christmas. It turns out I still hate the switch.

More specifically, I have a really hard time wrapping my brain around the Nintendo button placement. In addition, I don't like the tiny screen and the family isn't interested in giving up the TV. That I can solve by putting the dock up in the media room and we have a pro controller to address the kind of terrible standard controllers. There are just too many things that keep me from wanting to play on the switch. Now I remember why I have barely played anything on it. Mario Vs Rabbids should have been perfect for me. I like Mario Mario Tennis too and also enjoyed Puyo Puyo Tetris, but never got used to the platform.

I'm fine with xbox 360/One and PS4/5 controllers. Sure they name their buttons differently, but the functions are in the same place. Nintendo has to disrupt and make me yell at clouds.

/rant
-Coop
Black Lives Matter
Skinypupy

Post by Skinypupy »

I was initially very excited about the portability of the Switch. These days, however, I never play it unless it's docked and I'm using the Pro Controller. I find it horribly uncomfortable in handheld mode, and my eyes are getting bad enough that most games are quite difficult for me to read on the smaller screen.

The kids use it in handheld mode almost exclusively though.
Scraper

Post by Scraper »

Skinypupy wrote: Fri Jan 21, 2022 11:45 am I was initially very excited about the portability of the Switch. These days, however, I never play it unless it's docked and I'm using the Pro Controller. I find it horribly uncomfortable in handheld mode, and my eyes are getting bad enough that most games are quite difficult for me to read on the smaller screen.

The kids use it in handheld mode almost exclusively though.
Yeah I'm about the same. BUT most kids I see playing Switch are playing 100% portable. It's perfect for their small hands and good eye sight.
FTE
Zaxxon
Forum Moderator

Post by Zaxxon »

My reaction to coop's complaints is that I agree, and that it matters 0% to me. The thing that makes the Switch so awesome in my family is that it works well enough as a docked 'real' home console, and it also works well enough portably for me, while also working fantastically on trips for my girls.

Add in that game downloads and patching just aren't a half-day affair, the Nintendo games we love are all there, and it's a winner.

Now where's my BotW 2?
coopasonic

Post by coopasonic »

I guess I am also hamstrung by the fact that there are ZERO Nintendo games I love. the 2d metroids were really about the only ones, which is why I was so excited for Dread. My older son has easily gotten my money's worth out of the console, so I don't regret the purchase at all. It has been great... for him.
-Coop
Black Lives Matter
Skinypupy

Post by Skinypupy »

coopasonic wrote: Fri Jan 21, 2022 12:23 pm I guess I am also hamstrung by the fact that there are ZERO Nintendo games I love.
Same. Zelda, Mario, Metroid, Pikmin, Pokemon, Splatoon...all meh for me.

The only Nintendo exclusive I purchased the system for is Xenoblade.
naednek

Post by naednek »

my mom want's to buy Astroneer on Switch for my son. It's cheaper at nintendo online going digital.

Question is. If I buy now (mom is paying me) will it get added to his account now, or will I get the code to add later?
Zaxxon
Forum Moderator

Post by Zaxxon »

If you buy from the eShop, it shows on the Switch immediately.
naednek

Post by naednek »

Zaxxon wrote: Sat Jan 29, 2022 6:25 pm If you buy from the eShop, it shows on the Switch immediately.
thank you. Good to know
ChuckB

Post by ChuckB »

MLB The Show 22 (Baseball) is coming to Switch in April

https://theshow.com/news/shohei-ohtani- ... r-athlete/

This is really great news! Bought my first Playstation in 2008 because of this game and played many (most?) iterations since then. While not perfect, this is (probably)y the best Baseball game on any platform

Oh, and apparently it will have cross-platform play (don't care much about that) and cross-platform save (I care A LOT for that)
Last edited by ChuckB on Mon Jan 31, 2022 3:34 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Zaxxon
Forum Moderator

Post by Zaxxon »

Anyone else playing Arceus? I bought it for my kids (who do like it quite a bit) and I think I might also be hooked. Which would be a first for me and anything involving Pokemon.
wonderpug

Post by wonderpug »

Zaxxon wrote: Mon Jan 31, 2022 3:34 pm Anyone else playing Arceus? I bought it for my kids (who do like it quite a bit) and I think I might also be hooked. Which would be a first for me and anything involving Pokemon.
I haven't, but it's on my radar. It had such bad hype leading up to launch so it's really something that the internet hivemind has turned around its opinion so much. The graphics still seem to be the biggest complaint, but everything else seems to more than make up for it.
Zaxxon
Forum Moderator

Post by Zaxxon »

wonderpug wrote: Mon Jan 31, 2022 8:43 pm
Zaxxon wrote: Mon Jan 31, 2022 3:34 pm Anyone else playing Arceus? I bought it for my kids (who do like it quite a bit) and I think I might also be hooked. Which would be a first for me and anything involving Pokemon.
I haven't, but it's on my radar. It had such bad hype leading up to launch so it's really something that the internet hivemind has turned around its opinion so much. The graphics still seem to be the biggest complaint, but everything else seems to more than make up for it.
Update: while the game is not perfect, it's scratched the itch so far. Between my girls and myself, I think we're > 40 hours of play time so far.

In other news, COULD IT BE:

Metroid Prime trilogy?
BotW2 update?
Advance Wars more detail / demo?
Xenoblade newness?
MK9 info?

Just kidding, it'll probably be Splatoon 3 teaser and some old indies.
Skinypupy

Post by Skinypupy »

Zaxxon wrote: Tue Feb 08, 2022 11:38 am MK9 info?
Only thing I can figure here is Mortal Kombat 9, but that can't be right.