Let's Play Together: GM'd Battletech via Megamek

This is the place for self-contained forum games

Moderator: Zaxxon

gbasden

Re: Let's Play Together: GM'd Battletech via Megamek

Post by gbasden »

Hmm. OK, how about a jump to 1321, large laser at the MG turret and the 3 ML and a kick at the AC5 turret?

BTW, thanks again so much for doing this. This is really fun!
NickAragua

Post by NickAragua »

gbasden wrote:Hmm. OK, how about a jump to 1321, large laser at the MG turret and the 3 ML and a kick at the AC5 turret?

Sometimes, I get an uncontrollable GM itch. :)

No LOS from 1321 to the MG turret, but, on the other hand, Isgrimnur is more than capable of taking it down on his own (not to mention the Maxim will probably help).
Black Lives Matter
gbasden

Post by gbasden »

NickAragua wrote:
gbasden wrote:Hmm. OK, how about a jump to 1321, large laser at the MG turret and the 3 ML and a kick at the AC5 turret?

Sometimes, I get an uncontrollable GM itch. :)

No LOS from 1321 to the MG turret, but, on the other hand, Isgrimnur is more than capable of taking it down on his own (not to mention the Maxim will probably help).
OK, then I'll just unload on the AC5 turret then. It gets penalties to hit for minimum range, correct?
NickAragua

Post by NickAragua »

Yep. Minimum range is 3, and you'd be at range 1, so +2 to the roll target (same as if you were at medium range).
Black Lives Matter
El Guapo

Post by El Guapo »

Does the AI target just the easiest targets to hit, or is it more sophisticated?

Ideally I'd like to stay more or less still and shoot at the AC5 turret, which seems relatively safe, except for the AC5 turret. Is it likely to target me or other targets?
Black Lives Matter.
NickAragua

Post by NickAragua »

El Guapo wrote:Does the AI target just the easiest targets to hit, or is it more sophisticated?

Ideally I'd like to stay more or less still and shoot at the AC5 turret, which seems relatively safe, except for the AC5 turret. Is it likely to target me or other targets?
Sure, "AI". But yeah, generally, easiest shots. If you stay still, you're probably looking at 6 or 7+ (4 base, +2 medium range, +1 partial cover), with leg shots being negated. Move up to the heavy woods and you're looking at 7 or 8+ (4 base, +2 medium range, +2 heavy woods). I'm pretty the turret's gunnery is 4.

Also, note to all: according to official rules, you can move up or down a two-step cliff no problem, it just costs an extra two MP in addition to the one for moving forward.
Black Lives Matter
Isgrimnur

Post by Isgrimnur »

Just not backwards.
It's almost as if people are the problem.
NickAragua

Post by NickAragua »

Isgrimnur wrote:Just not backwards.
Correct.
Black Lives Matter
Madmarcus

Post by Madmarcus »

I want to second the thanks for running this.

Infantry in buildings is much tougher then I would expect (in college we just did mech on mech and with the AtB campaign I haven't hit any infantry). With the flamer I can flush them out but passing 25% damage I really can't reliably hurt them (two guys with the large laser but laser and flamer is somewhat bad heatwise). How does the damage round? The small lasers only do 1 damage; do they cause 1 casualty or does it round down and do nothing? If I hit with two does it get two guys or just combine and round to one guy?
NickAragua

Post by NickAragua »

I believe it rounds to the nearest integer, with .5 rounding up. Each weapon hit is resolved individually, so if you fire two small lasers, you'll get two guys.
Black Lives Matter
El Guapo

Post by El Guapo »

NickAragua wrote:
El Guapo wrote:Does the AI target just the easiest targets to hit, or is it more sophisticated?

Sure, "AI". But yeah, generally, easiest shots. If you stay still, you're probably looking at 6 or 7+ (4 base, +2 medium range, +1 partial cover), with leg shots being negated. Move up to the heavy woods and you're looking at 7 or 8+ (4 base, +2 medium range, +2 heavy woods). I'm pretty the turret's gunnery is 4.

Also, note to all: according to official rules, you can move up or down a two-step cliff no problem, it just costs an extra two MP in addition to the one for moving forward.
ok, I'll walk up to the heavy woods in 1920.

So the AC/5 turret appears to have 94 CF. Does that mean that I need to do 94 damage to it to destroy it?
Black Lives Matter.
NickAragua

Post by NickAragua »

I've been lazy about updating the CF for that turret. It's actually 56 now. So yes, 56 to totally collapse the building. However, it's fairly likely that you get a crit of some kind before then.
Black Lives Matter
El Guapo

Post by El Guapo »

ok. I'll fire everything at the AC/5 turret, then.
Black Lives Matter.
Madmarcus

Post by Madmarcus »

Move to 1317 facing SW. Walk or jump; whichever gives a better defense. Flamer and both small lasers at the infantry followed by a kick.
NickAragua

Post by NickAragua »

Round 7:

Isgrimnur jumps in between the infantry and the MG turret. He takes a couple of minor dings from MG rounds fired from the last barrel, then evaporates the crew with his PPC. The medium laser shot collapses the building entirely, forming an improvised grave. The infantry fires at him, but the shoulder-launched missiles go wide.

El Guapo and Gbasden team up on the AC/5 turret, causing jams in two of the barrels. The Maxim helps out with a barrage of LRMs and SRMs. It takes some fire from the incoming hovercraft to the north, but nothing hits. Gbasden takes an AC/2 round to the arm from the helicopter, but it's an AC/2 round, which doesn't prevent him from kicking the last of the building's support structure out - it collapses, taking the last of the turrets.

Madmarcus jumps around the side of the nearby building, taking an AC/5 round to the leg and setting the building on fire. Two small lasers help keep the infantry inside suppressed and unable to effectively fire back. He then throws a bonus punch, crushing another scrub as the platoon abandons the building to zip out in their little hovercraft.

Raw firing and heat output:
Spoiler:
Weapon Attack Phase
-------------------

Weapons fire for Hover Assault Infantry Johnston Industries Rapid Response Force (Magistracy of Canopus)
    LRM Launcher (FarShot) at Vindicator VND-1R (1st Octopus Overlords); needs 7, rolls 6 : misses

Weapons fire for Thunderbolt TDR-5SE #2 (1st Octopus Overlords)
    Large Laser at Hex 1221 of Building #1177845181 (Collapse), the shot is an automatic hit (Targeting adjacent building.), rolls 7 : hits.

Hardened Standard Building #1177845181 absorbs 8 points of damage.
        Damage threshold exceeded. Possible critical hit!
            +AC/5 jams!

Medium Laser at Hex 1221 of Building #1177845181 (Collapse), the shot is an automatic hit (Targeting adjacent building.), rolls 7 : hits.

Hardened Standard Building #1177845181 absorbs 5 points of damage.

Medium Laser at Hex 1221 of Building #1177845181 (Collapse), the shot is an automatic hit (Targeting adjacent building.), rolls 8 : hits.

Weapons fire for Vindicator VND-1R (1st Octopus Overlords)
    PPC at Hex 0917 of Building #1389495637 (Collapse), the shot is an automatic hit (Targeting adjacent building.), rolls 6 : hits.

Heavy Standard Building #1389495637 absorbs 10 points of damage.
            Crew killed.

Medium Laser at Hex 0917 of Building #1389495637 (Collapse), the shot is an automatic hit (Targeting adjacent building.), rolls 8 : hits.

Heavy Standard Building #1389495637 absorbs 5 points of damage.
         BUILDING DESTROYED

Weapons fire for Griffin GRF-1S (1st Octopus Overlords)
    Medium Laser at Hex 1221 of Building #1177845181 (Collapse); needs 5, rolls 9 : hits.

Medium Laser at Hex 1221 of Building #1177845181 (Collapse); needs 5, rolls 8 : hits.

LRM 5 at Hex 1221 of Building #1177845181 (Collapse); needs 1, rolls 12 : 3 missile(s) hit.

Hardened Standard Building #1177845181 absorbs 3 points of damage.

Large Laser at Hex 1221 of Building #1177845181 (Collapse); needs 3, rolls 10 : hits.

Hardened Standard Building #1177845181 absorbs 8 points of damage.
            +AC/5 jams!

Weapons fire for MG Turret (Triple) (Magistracy of Canopus)
    Machine Gun at Vindicator VND-1R (1st Octopus Overlords); needs 6, rolls 7 : hits CT
        Vindicator VND-1R (1st Octopus Overlords) takes 2 damage to CT.
            15 Armor remaining.

Weapons fire for Firestarter FS9-K2 (1st Octopus Overlords)
    Flamer at Hex 1216 of Building #1445349893 (Ignite), the shot is an automatic hit (Targeting adjacent building.), rolls 10 : hits!
        Needs 4 [4 (Flamer) + 0 (building)] to ignite, rolls 4
        Fire started in hex 1216.

Small Laser at Hex 1216 of Building #1445349893 (Collapse), the shot is an automatic hit (Targeting adjacent building.), rolls 6 : hits.

Heavy Standard Building #1445349893 absorbs 3 points of damage.
            1 damage is passed on to Hover Assault Infantry Johnston Industries Rapid Response Force #2 (Magistracy of Canopus).
        Hover Assault Infantry Johnston Industries Rapid Response Force #2 (Magistracy of Canopus) takes 1 damage to MEN.
            17 men alive

Small Laser at Hex 1216 of Building #1445349893 (Collapse), the shot is an automatic hit (Targeting adjacent building.), rolls 4 : hits.

Heavy Standard Building #1445349893 absorbs 3 points of damage.
            1 damage is passed on to Hover Assault Infantry Johnston Industries Rapid Response Force #2 (Magistracy of Canopus).
        Hover Assault Infantry Johnston Industries Rapid Response Force #2 (Magistracy of Canopus) takes 1 damage to MEN.
            16 men alive

Weapons fire for Saracen Medium Hover Tank (Standard) #3 (Magistracy of Canopus)
    LRM 10 at Maxim Heavy Hover Transport (Standard) (1st Octopus Overlords); needs 9, rolls 7 : misses

Weapons fire for Saracen Medium Hover Tank (Standard) #4 (Magistracy of Canopus)
    LRM 10 at Maxim Heavy Hover Transport (Standard) (1st Octopus Overlords); needs 7, rolls 3 : misses

Weapons fire for Condor Heavy Hover Tank (Standard) (Magistracy of Canopus)
    AC/5 at Maxim Heavy Hover Transport (Standard) (1st Octopus Overlords); needs 8, rolls 3 : misses

Weapons fire for Warrior Attack Helicopter H-7 (Magistracy of Canopus)
    SRM 4 at Thunderbolt TDR-5SE #2 (1st Octopus Overlords); needs 11, rolls 8 : misses

AC/2 at Thunderbolt TDR-5SE #2 (1st Octopus Overlords); needs 7, rolls 7 : hits (using Left Side table) LA
        Thunderbolt TDR-5SE #2 (1st Octopus Overlords) takes 2 damage to LA.
            16 Armor remaining.

Weapons fire for AC/5 Turret (Triple) (Magistracy of Canopus)
    AC/5 at Firestarter FS9-K2 (1st Octopus Overlords); needs 5, rolls 4 : misses

AC/5 at Firestarter FS9-K2 (1st Octopus Overlords); needs 5, rolls 3 : misses

AC/5 at Firestarter FS9-K2 (1st Octopus Overlords); needs 5, rolls 5 : hits (using Left Side table) RL
        Firestarter FS9-K2 (1st Octopus Overlords) takes 5 damage to RL.
            3 Armor remaining.

Weapons fire for Maxim Heavy Hover Transport (Standard) (1st Octopus Overlords)
    LRM 5 at Hex 1221 of Building #1177845181 (Collapse); needs -1, rolls 6 : 3 missile(s) hit.

Hardened Standard Building #1177845181 absorbs 3 points of damage.

LRM 5 at Hex 1221 of Building #1177845181 (Collapse); needs -1, rolls 8 : 5 missile(s) hit.

SRM 6 at Hex 1221 of Building #1177845181 (Collapse); needs 3, rolls 10 : 2 missile(s) hit.

Hardened Standard Building #1177845181 absorbs 4 points of damage.

Building #1389495637 collapses due to damage.
*** MG Turret (Triple) (Magistracy of Canopus) DESTROYED by building collapse! ***

Physical Attack Phase
-------------------

Physical attacks for Firestarter FS9-K2 (1st Octopus Overlords)
    Kick (Left leg) at Hex 1216 of Building #1445349893 (Collapse), the kick is an automatic hit (Targeting adjacent building.), hits.
        Heavy Standard Building #1445349893 absorbs 7 points of damage.
            2 damage is passed on to Hover Assault Infantry Johnston Industries Rapid Response Force #2 (Magistracy of Canopus).
            15 men alive

Physical attacks for Thunderbolt TDR-5SE #2 (1st Octopus Overlords)
    Punch (Left Arm) at Hex 1221 of Building #1177845181 (Collapse), the punch is an automatic hit (Targeting adjacent building.), hits.
        Hardened Standard Building #1177845181 absorbs 7 points of damage.
         BUILDING DESTROYED

Building #1177845181 collapses due to damage.
*** AC/5 Turret (Triple) (Magistracy of Canopus) DESTROYED by building collapse! ***

Heat Phase
-------------------
Thunderbolt TDR-5SE #2 (1st Octopus Overlords) gains 18 heat, sinks 17 heat and is now at 3 heat.
Vindicator VND-1R (1st Octopus Overlords) gains 17 heat, sinks 16 heat and is now at 4 heat.
Griffin GRF-1S (1st Octopus Overlords) gains 17 heat, sinks 16 heat and is now at 5 heat.
Firestarter FS9-K2 (1st Octopus Overlords) gains 8 heat, sinks 11 heat and is now at 1 heat.
Lucifer LCF-R20 (1st Octopus Overlords) gains 0 heat, sinks 0 heat and is now at 0 heat.

End Phase
-------------------
Fire at 1020 is burning brightly.
Heavy smoke overpowers light smoke in 0921.
Heavy smoke overpowers light smoke in 0920.
Heavy smoke overpowers light smoke in 1021.
Fire at 1216 was started this round.
Light smoke fills 1117.
Light smoke fills 1116.
Light smoke fills 1217.
Enlarge Image
Enlarge Image

The enemy hovercraft move south to get a view on what's happening in the base (it's not good). Madmarcus' infantry quarry relocates to one of the buildings that possible houses the rescue subject, which is mildly problematic. The Skulker is the only active vehicle inside the base, although the helicopter continues buzzing around.

[note: this is about to become a hostage negotiation]
Black Lives Matter
NickAragua

Post by NickAragua »

A message buzzes in over open frequencies.

"Mercenary force, cease fire on the base or your patriarchal oppressor buddy here is going to get hurt!"

Firing on a buiding in hex 1017 (the one with the damaged infantry platoon in it, next to the destroyed MG turret) will result in the rescue subject being executed (of course, maybe they're bluffing?)
Black Lives Matter
Isgrimnur

Post by Isgrimnur »

Time for some thrilling heroics.

Jump to 0614. Fire at 0715.
El Guapo

Post by El Guapo »

uhhhh, who took points in the hostage negotiation skill for their MechWarrior?
Black Lives Matter.
stessier

Post by stessier »

El Guapo wrote:uhhhh, who took points in the hostage negotiation skill for their MechWarrior?
:binky: I thought "Hostage Negotiator" was the stencil the bottom of your mech's feet. :binky:
I require a reminder as to why raining arcane destruction is not an appropriate response to all of life's indignities. - Vaarsuvius
Global Steam Wishmaslist Tracking
Running____2014: 1300.55 miles____2015: 2036.13 miles____2016: 1012.75 miles____2017: 1105.82 miles____2018: 1318.91 miles__2019: 2000.00 miles
NickAragua

Post by NickAragua »

A note on new enemy vehicle equipment (they're all hovercraft with 8/12 movement)

The Maxim in 0715 has an SRM launcher on each side (SRM4 on the front and back, SRM2 on the sides), plus an SRM6 and 3x Machine gun in the turret.
The Saracens in 0715 and 0614 both pack an LRM10 and 3x SRM2 in the turret.
The Condor in 0614 has a turret-mounted AC/5 and 2x Medium Laser (and also an MG in the front).

I uh, don't think anyone in the field has the "negotiation" skill. But that's ok, neither do the other guys.
Black Lives Matter
El Guapo

Post by El Guapo »

The Scorpion in 1620 has surrendered, right?

I'll stand still and fire my LRM5 and my large laser at a Saracen in 715.

What's the penalty for firing at a second target? And does that impact your odds of hitting your primary target?

I'll fire at least one medium laser at the Skulker in 1418. If the odds of hitting aren't terrible I'll also fire a second medium laser at it.
Black Lives Matter.
NickAragua

Post by NickAragua »

Right, the Scorpion in 1620 is "weapons down".

Shooting at a secondary target imparts a +1 to the target number on the secondary target only. There's also a fairly weird and difficult-to-describe rule where if you've got more than one target and at least one of them is in your front firing arc, the primary target must be in the front firing arc.

Also, the Skulker is hidden from your view by the big cliff at 1519. You can fire at the chopper on 11+ though.
Black Lives Matter
El Guapo

Post by El Guapo »

NickAragua wrote:
Also, the Skulker is hidden from your view by the big cliff at 1519. You can fire at the chopper on 11+ though.
When should I get to the choppa?

I'll fire one medium laser at the choppa. That should dissipate 3 of my 5 heat.
Black Lives Matter.
gbasden

Post by gbasden »

How about we tell them if they fire at us we splatter them anyway. We can't just let them hole up and attack us at will, and it gives our team time to find out if they are bluffing?

I'm thinking walk to 1310, punch the Skulker in it's stupid face and try to shoot the Maxim in 0715 with large laser and LRMs.
El Guapo

Post by El Guapo »

gbasden wrote:How about we tell them if they fire at us we splatter them anyway. We can't just let them hole up and attack us at will, and it gives our team time to find out if they are bluffing?

I'm thinking walk to 1310, punch the Skulker in it's stupid face and try to shoot the Maxim in 0715 with large laser and LRMs.
I guess this just means don't fire on 1017 at least for this turn. But to the extent that the hostage negotiation is a real mechanic, it would seem like the play would be to say if they give up the guy, we'll leave without killing anyone else. But if they kill the guy, we'll level the entire base and kill everyone.
Black Lives Matter.
NickAragua

Post by NickAragua »

"Search and Rescue Squad here, give us another 20 seconds to confirm. Try and keep them distracted so they don't see us sneaking up."

If at least one mech is within LOS and weapons range (9 hexes) of the infantry platoon in 1017, they will not fire on the allied infantry platoon due to being distracted.
Black Lives Matter
gbasden

Post by gbasden »

I think I should have that covered - I believe I have LOS from 1310 and I certainly have weapons range.
Madmarcus

Post by Madmarcus »

Jump to 1513 facing S. Large laser at the helicopter.

An airstrike would be good right now.
NickAragua

Post by NickAragua »

Turn 8

Gbasden takes a lot of "small-arms" fire - infantry LRMs, regular LRMs, SRMs and AC/2. Most of it misses, and the rest sandpapers some armor away. He retaliates by opening fire on the Maxim to the northwest of town, cracking the skirt. He then proceeds to laser and punch the Skulker, but the tough little tank's armor holds.

El Guapo's tracking systems are confused by the preponderance of hovercraft, but he manages to land a couple of solid LRM hits on the Saracen, damaging an air intake duct and slowing the vehicle down.

Isgrimnur takes some machine gun fire from the Maxim, but decides he's had enough and cuts the rest of the hover skirt off with the medium and small laser, immobilizing the vehicle. He follows up with a boot to the Saracen, knocking off little bits of the skirt.

Madmarcus' and El Guapo's fire at the helicopter is ineffective (well, it did wind up needing a 12 to hit).

Raw firing and heat data:
Spoiler:
Weapon Attack Phase
-------------------

Weapons fire for Hover Assault Infantry Johnston Industries Rapid Response Force #2 (Magistracy of Canopus)
    LRM Launcher (Corean Farshot) at Thunderbolt TDR-5SE #2 (1st Octopus Overlords); needs 4, rolls 9 : 9 troopers hit, causing 5 damage.
        Thunderbolt TDR-5SE #2 (1st Octopus Overlords) takes 2 damage to RT.
            12 Armor remaining.

Thunderbolt TDR-5SE #2 (1st Octopus Overlords) takes 2 damage to LT.
            22 Armor remaining.

Thunderbolt TDR-5SE #2 (1st Octopus Overlords) takes 1 damage to RT.
            11 Armor remaining.

Weapons fire for Firestarter FS9-K2 (1st Octopus Overlords)
    Large Laser at Warrior Attack Helicopter H-7 (Magistracy of Canopus); needs 12, rolls 7 : misses

Weapons fire for Thunderbolt TDR-5SE #2 (1st Octopus Overlords)
    Large Laser at Maxim Heavy Hover Transport (SRM4) (Magistracy of Canopus); needs 11, rolls 8 : misses

LRM 10 at Maxim Heavy Hover Transport (SRM4) (Magistracy of Canopus); needs 9, rolls 9 : 6 missile(s) hit.

Maxim Heavy Hover Transport (SRM4) (Magistracy of Canopus) takes 5 damage to FR.
            15 Armor remaining.

Maxim Heavy Hover Transport (SRM4) (Magistracy of Canopus) takes 1 damage to LS.
            19 Armor remaining.
            Chance for motive system damage. Roll is 8; (w/ +3 bonus)
             Moderate damage, +2 to driving skill rolls, -1 MP.

Medium Laser at Skulker Wheeled Scout Tank (Standard) (Magistracy of Canopus); needs 6, rolls 10 : hits FR
        Skulker Wheeled Scout Tank (Standard) (Magistracy of Canopus) takes 5 damage to FR.
            13 Armor remaining.

Weapons fire for Hover Assault Infantry Johnston Industries Rapid Response Force (Magistracy of Canopus)
    LRM Launcher (Corean Farshot) at Vindicator VND-1R (1st Octopus Overlords); needs 7, rolls 6 : misses

Weapons fire for Skulker Wheeled Scout Tank (Standard) (Magistracy of Canopus)
    Medium Laser at Thunderbolt TDR-5SE #2 (1st Octopus Overlords); needs 5, rolls 4 : misses

Weapons fire for Griffin GRF-1S (1st Octopus Overlords)
    Large Laser at Saracen Medium Hover Tank (Standard) #3 (Magistracy of Canopus); needs 12, rolls 5 : misses

LRM 5 at Saracen Medium Hover Tank (Standard) #3 (Magistracy of Canopus); needs 10, rolls 10 : 3 missile(s) hit.

Saracen Medium Hover Tank (Standard) #3 (Magistracy of Canopus) takes 3 damage to FR.
            21 Armor remaining.
            Chance for motive system damage. Roll is 11; (w/ +3 bonus)
             Heavy damage, +3 to driving skill rolls, 1/2 MP.

Medium Laser at Warrior Attack Helicopter H-7 (Magistracy of Canopus); needs 12, rolls 6 : misses

Weapons fire for Maxim Heavy Hover Transport (SRM4) (Magistracy of Canopus)
    SRM 6 at Vindicator VND-1R (1st Octopus Overlords); needs 7, rolls 5 : misses

Machine Gun at Vindicator VND-1R (1st Octopus Overlords); needs 7, rolls 8 : hits RA
        Vindicator VND-1R (1st Octopus Overlords) takes 2 damage to RA.
            12 Armor remaining.

Machine Gun at Vindicator VND-1R (1st Octopus Overlords); needs 7, rolls 9 : hits LL
        Vindicator VND-1R (1st Octopus Overlords) takes 2 damage to LL.
            10 Armor remaining.

Machine Gun at Vindicator VND-1R (1st Octopus Overlords); needs 7, rolls 7 : hits CT
        Vindicator VND-1R (1st Octopus Overlords) takes 2 damage to CT.
            13 Armor remaining.

SRM 4 at Thunderbolt TDR-5SE #2 (1st Octopus Overlords); needs 12, rolls 11 : misses

Weapons fire for Vindicator VND-1R (1st Octopus Overlords)
    Medium Laser at Maxim Heavy Hover Transport (SRM4) (Magistracy of Canopus); needs 10, rolls 11 : hits (using Rear table) RR
        Maxim Heavy Hover Transport (SRM4) (Magistracy of Canopus) takes 5 damage to RR.
            7 Armor remaining.
            Chance for motive system damage. Roll is 14; (w/ +4 bonus)
             Major damage, vehicle immobile.

Small Laser at Maxim Heavy Hover Transport (SRM4) (Magistracy of Canopus); needs 10, rolls 10 : hits (using Rear table) RR
        Maxim Heavy Hover Transport (SRM4) (Magistracy of Canopus) takes 3 damage to RR.
            4 Armor remaining.

LRM 5 at Skulker Wheeled Scout Tank (Standard) (Magistracy of Canopus); needs 11, rolls 6 : misses

Weapons fire for Saracen Medium Hover Tank (Standard) #3 (Magistracy of Canopus)
    LRM 10 at Thunderbolt TDR-5SE #2 (1st Octopus Overlords); needs 7, rolls 7 : 6 missile(s) hit.

Thunderbolt TDR-5SE #2 (1st Octopus Overlords) takes 5 damage to LL.
            24 Armor remaining.

Thunderbolt TDR-5SE #2 (1st Octopus Overlords) takes 1 damage to LL.
            23 Armor remaining.

SRM 2 at Thunderbolt TDR-5SE #2 (1st Octopus Overlords); needs 11, rolls 7 : misses

SRM 2 at Thunderbolt TDR-5SE #2 (1st Octopus Overlords); needs 11, rolls 6 : misses

SRM 2 at Thunderbolt TDR-5SE #2 (1st Octopus Overlords); needs 11, rolls 6 : misses

Weapons fire for Saracen Medium Hover Tank (Standard) #4 (Magistracy of Canopus)
    LRM 10 at Thunderbolt TDR-5SE #2 (1st Octopus Overlords); needs 8, rolls 4 : misses

SRM 2 at Thunderbolt TDR-5SE #2 (1st Octopus Overlords); needs 10, rolls 5 : misses

SRM 2 at Thunderbolt TDR-5SE #2 (1st Octopus Overlords); needs 10, rolls 3 : misses

SRM 2 at Thunderbolt TDR-5SE #2 (1st Octopus Overlords); needs 10, rolls 5 : misses

Weapons fire for Condor Heavy Hover Tank (Standard) (Magistracy of Canopus)
    AC/5 at Thunderbolt TDR-5SE #2 (1st Octopus Overlords); needs 9, rolls 7 : misses

Medium Laser at Thunderbolt TDR-5SE #2 (1st Octopus Overlords); needs 11, rolls 9 : misses

Medium Laser at Thunderbolt TDR-5SE #2 (1st Octopus Overlords); needs 11, rolls 5 : misses

Weapons fire for Warrior Attack Helicopter H-7 (Magistracy of Canopus)
    SRM 4 at Thunderbolt TDR-5SE #2 (1st Octopus Overlords); needs 7, rolls 12 : 2 missile(s) hit.

9 Armor remaining.

Thunderbolt TDR-5SE #2 (1st Octopus Overlords) takes 2 damage to LT.
            20 Armor remaining.

AC/2 at Thunderbolt TDR-5SE #2 (1st Octopus Overlords); needs 6, rolls 6 : hits RT
            7 Armor remaining.

Physical Attack Phase
-------------------

Physical attacks for Thunderbolt TDR-5SE #2 (1st Octopus Overlords)
    Punch (Left Arm) at Skulker Wheeled Scout Tank (Standard) (Magistracy of Canopus); needs 5, rolls 10 : hits FR
        Skulker Wheeled Scout Tank (Standard) (Magistracy of Canopus) takes 7 damage to FR.
            6 Armor remaining.

Physical attacks for Vindicator VND-1R (1st Octopus Overlords)
    Kick (Left leg) at Saracen Medium Hover Tank (Standard) #3 (Magistracy of Canopus); needs 9, rolls 10 : hits (using Rear table) RR
        Saracen Medium Hover Tank (Standard) #3 (Magistracy of Canopus) takes 9 damage to RR.
            15 Armor remaining.
            Chance for motive system damage. Roll is 7; (w/ +4 bonus)
             Minor damage, +1 to driving skill rolls.

Heat Phase
-------------------
Thunderbolt TDR-5SE #2 (1st Octopus Overlords) gains 16 heat, sinks 17 heat and is now at 2 heat.
Vindicator VND-1R (1st Octopus Overlords) gains 9 heat, sinks 13 heat and is now at 0 heat.
Griffin GRF-1S (1st Octopus Overlords) gains 13 heat, sinks 16 heat and is now at 2 heat.
Firestarter FS9-K2 (1st Octopus Overlords) gains 13 heat, sinks 11 heat and is now at 3 heat.
Enlarge Image
Enlarge Image

A pair of fast-moving, LRM-equipped APCs arrive. The two undamaged hovercraft retreat north to join them. The Skulker zips into the heavy smoke, hoping for a little protection, as does the damaged Saracen.

"Air support here. Looks like we got ourselves a cluster of vehicles north of that hill. You want I should drop some bombs on them?"
Black Lives Matter
El Guapo

Post by El Guapo »

Yeah, I think an airstrike is in order.

What's the smoke firing penalty? Also I assume it applies for each smoke-filled hex a shot goes through (like, there are two penalties if you're firing through two separate smoke hexes to hit your target)?
Black Lives Matter.
El Guapo

Post by El Guapo »

What weapons are on the attack helicopter?

As a side note: it seems like a serious design flaw to put 75% of the Griffin's weapons on one arm.
Black Lives Matter.
Isgrimnur

Post by Isgrimnur »

So are we not doing turtle stomps, or did the Saracen get to move first?
NickAragua

Post by NickAragua »

Isgrimnur wrote:So are we not doing turtle stomps, or did the Saracen get to move first?
Last round, you kicked the one in front of you but didn't breach armor or immobilize.

It was actually a pretty good call jumping in the pile, since half of them couldn't fire on you at all.
El Guapo wrote:What weapons are on the attack helicopter?

As a side note: it seems like a serious design flaw to put 75% of the Griffin's weapons on one arm.
Helicopter has an SRM/4 and AC/2.

The smoke is dense so it's -2 per intervening hex. It's basically exactly like heavy woods.

As for the weapons, well, at least you're not keeping your ammo in the arm. Remember when Freyland's 85-ton Stalker went up in smoke because it took a random crit to the arm, where it had a ton of LRM/10 ammo?
Black Lives Matter
Isgrimnur

Post by Isgrimnur »

Do I need to worry about finishing off the Maxim?
NickAragua

Post by NickAragua »

Nope, the opfor is operating under "forced withdrawal" rules, so if a vehicle becomes immobilized (or if you breach armor or disable or weapons), it's no longer a threat.
Black Lives Matter
El Guapo

Post by El Guapo »

I assume that I can't hit the helicopter from my current position with my right arm weapons without torso twisting, right?

Also, do aircraft get any penalties to hit them? Sort of like how mechs jump jetting are harder to hit, do other flying targets also get benefits like that?
Black Lives Matter.
Isgrimnur

Post by Isgrimnur »

Jump to 0916 and keep paring down the Saracen. And that should give the infantry in 1017 something to focus on.
NickAragua

Post by NickAragua »

El Guapo wrote:I assume that I can't hit the helicopter from my current position with my right arm weapons without torso twisting, right?

Also, do aircraft get any penalties to hit them? Sort of like how mechs jump jetting are harder to hit, do other flying targets also get benefits like that?
Correct, you'll need to torso twist to fire at the helicopter. The helicopter does get a +1 to the to-hit difficulty if it moves at all, exactly like a jumping mech. The "target moved X hexes" modifier is calculated as if it were moving on the ground. So, 3/5/7/11 get it a +1/2/3/4 to the to-hit difficulty respectively. So, for example, if it were to move 11 hexes, the to-hit number is at a +5, in addition to any other modifiers (range, attacker movement, etc).

Also, it's a little difficult to see, but the Skulker is active and within the smoke (hiding behind the beat-up and abandoned Scorpion).
Black Lives Matter
El Guapo

Post by El Guapo »

NickAragua wrote:
El Guapo wrote:I assume that I can't hit the helicopter from my current position with my right arm weapons without torso twisting, right?

Correct, you'll need to torso twist to fire at the helicopter. The helicopter does get a +1 to the to-hit difficulty if it moves at all, exactly like a jumping mech. The "target moved X hexes" modifier is calculated as if it were moving on the ground. So, 3/5/7/11 get it a +1/2/3/4 to the to-hit difficulty respectively. So, for example, if it were to move 11 hexes, the to-hit number is at a +5, in addition to any other modifiers (range, attacker movement, etc).

Also, it's a little difficult to see, but the Skulker is active and within the smoke (hiding behind the beat-up and abandoned Scorpion).
The helicopter's already moved this turn, and moved 13 spaces, right? So it currently has a +6 modifier to hit it, then?
Black Lives Matter.
NickAragua

Post by NickAragua »

Nah, it can't get to +6, because the next +1 is at 15 movement. It's +5 right now.
Black Lives Matter