Kickstarter and other crowdfunding platforms

All discussions regarding Board, Card, and RPG Gaming, including industry discussion, that don't belong in one of the other gaming forums.

Moderators: The Preacher, $iljanus, Zaxxon

Holman

Re: Kickstarter (Merged)

Post by Holman »

Current ongoing Kickstarter statuses:

Marauder Expansion (for Root): just funded
Twilight 2000 (reboot of the Cold War post-apocalypse RPG): on track, beta-version rulebooks look very good
High Frontier Module 3 (expansion to the latest version): just now received shipping notification
Oath (another Cole Wehrle design, ongoing multi-session story of an empire): in development and on track
Deepnight Revelation for Traveller (massive boxed RPG campaign): at the printers, soon on a boat

So far, so good!
Much prefer my Nazis Nuremberged.
Zarathud

Post by Zarathud »

So many Kickstarters are announcing shipping. Excited.
"If the facts don't fit the theory, change the facts." - Albert Einstein
"I don't stand by anything." - Trump
“Bad men need nothing more to compass their ends, than that good men should look on and do nothing.” - John Stuart Mill, Inaugural Address Delivered to the University of St Andrews, 2/1/1867
“It is the impractical things in this tumultuous hell-scape of a world that matter most. A book, a name, chicken soup. They help us remember that, even in our darkest hour, life is still to be savored.” - Poe, Altered Carbon
Lordnine

Post by Lordnine »

Zarathud wrote: Fri Mar 26, 2021 7:03 pm So many Kickstarters are announcing shipping. Excited.
I have 3 coming in the next week. :shock:
Blackhawk

Post by Blackhawk »

I just got one in a couple of weeks ago (Deadlands), one the other day (The Level Up), and another (Tiny Epic Pirates) is due to arrive Monday or Tuesday.

I've largely quit backing due to money and realizing I was backing on impulse rather than brain power, so my list of outstanding projects is getting shorter and shorter. My longest standing (that I haven't completely written off) is still Critical Role. Technically Sword & Sorcery - Ancient Chronicles is older and later, but I was a late backer so it wasn't on my list all that time.
(˙pǝsɹǝʌǝɹ uǝǝq sɐɥ ʎʇıʌɐɹƃ ʃɐuosɹǝd ʎW)
baelthazar

Post by baelthazar »

Lordnine wrote: Sat Mar 27, 2021 12:16 pm
Zarathud wrote: Fri Mar 26, 2021 7:03 pm So many Kickstarters are announcing shipping. Excited.
Which ones?

Middara should be in Indy within a few weeks.
Tiny Epic Pirates is coming soon (I late backed so I am probably at the bottom of the list).
Cloudspire - Ankar Expansion arrived on Saturday - very pleased with this.
Tanares Adventures (Wave 1) is scheduled to leave China in April, hopefully will get to me by June.
Malificent

Post by Malificent »

I just got my big pile of chibi Marvel minis, i.e. Marvel United. Now for a bunch of painting in vibrant colors!
Smoove_B

Post by Smoove_B »

Just launched, now with minis:

Maybe next year, maybe no go
Blackhawk

Post by Blackhawk »

Pirates just showed up. They are tiny, and reportedly epic.
Blackhawk

Post by Blackhawk »

Smoove_B wrote: Mon Mar 29, 2021 12:21 pm Just launched, now with minis:

Oh, wow. That looks really cool. I don't know the company or their products, but it's one of my favorite periods, and I don't have any games set during it (well, no playable games at least.)

Nope. Can't afford it.

But...

No.

NO!
Smoove_B

Post by Smoove_B »

I played the original a few (ok, more than a few) years back at a gaming convention. However, it's been in and out of print + an import and difficult to get a copy of for years. It's fun - very much like playing a WW2 turn-based video game - it has an action movie feel/theme where the characters are heroic in their abilities and skills. Lots of puzzling out how to infiltrate and area, complete a mission and then exfiltrate. I really enjoyed it, though the minis here seem to add quite a bit of $$ to the price tag (and they do look great). However, I didn't feel the game was diminished in any way playing with the tokens and that's still a backing option (which is nice). I'm definitely watching, but it's pretty damn spendy.
Blackhawk

Post by Blackhawk »

Stop using your insidious words! I just climbed out of a hole. I can't justify spending for fun! I won't. No. :eusa-naughty:
Lordnine

Post by Lordnine »

baelthazar wrote: Mon Mar 29, 2021 9:10 am
Lordnine wrote: Sat Mar 27, 2021 12:16 pm
Which ones?

Middara should be in Indy within a few weeks.
Tiny Epic Pirates is coming soon (I late backed so I am probably at the bottom of the list).
Cloudspire - Ankar Expansion arrived on Saturday - very pleased with this.
Tanares Adventures (Wave 1) is scheduled to leave China in April, hopefully will get to me by June.
To be fair, I don't know if they will actually arrive this week but I have received notices from QML over the last couple weeks that they are preparing my shipments for:

Solomon Kane
Daimyo
Company of Heroes
hepcat

Post by hepcat »

Smoove_B wrote: Mon Mar 29, 2021 12:46 pm I played the original a few (ok, more than a few) years back at a gaming convention. However, it's been in and out of print + an import and difficult to get a copy of for years. It's fun - very much like playing a WW2 turn-based video game - it has an action movie feel/theme where the characters are heroic in their abilities and skills. Lots of puzzling out how to infiltrate and area, complete a mission and then exfiltrate. I really enjoyed it, though the minis here seem to add quite a bit of $$ to the price tag (and they do look great). However, I didn't feel the game was diminished in any way playing with the tokens and that's still a backing option (which is nice). I'm definitely watching, but it's pretty damn spendy.
I have the core game and the Resistance expansion, but I will back it for the secret weapons expansion and the new ghost expansion, as well as the small upgrade kits (I appreciate the low price point on those). I honestly don’t think miniatures will add much to the game, as the tokens are two sided for a reason (concealed/revealed). I’m perfectly happy to continue playing with just the tokens.

It’s one of my favorite games still. I love how puzzly it is. It also goes from 0 to a 100 in a heartbeat, making for some truly cinematic game sessions. It isn’t a wargame, it’s a war movie.
He won. Period.
Zarathud

Post by Zarathud »

Cloudspire has arrived, and everything still fits into the box. I'm going to have to pick out a scenario in one of the books that doesn't make the game unfun.
“Bad men need nothing more to compass their ends, than that good men should look on and do nothing.” - John Stuart Mill, Inaugural Address Delivered to the University of St Andrews, 2/1/1867
“It is the impractical things in this tumultuous hell-scape of a world that matter most. A book, a name, chicken soup. They help us remember that, even in our darkest hour, life is still to be savored.” - Poe, Altered Carbon
coopasonic

Post by coopasonic »

Did hepcat post about this and I missed it?

Not a kickstarter technically, but close enough.
-Coop
Black Lives Matter
Zarathud

Post by Zarathud »

No. He didn’t even email about it. Time for a wellness check.
$iljanus
Forum Moderator

Post by $iljanus »

hepcat wrote: Mon Mar 29, 2021 9:45 pm
Smoove_B wrote: Mon Mar 29, 2021 12:46 pm I played the original a few (ok, more than a few) years back at a gaming convention. However, it's been in and out of print + an import and difficult to get a copy of for years. It's fun - very much like playing a WW2 turn-based video game - it has an action movie feel/theme where the characters are heroic in their abilities and skills. Lots of puzzling out how to infiltrate and area, complete a mission and then exfiltrate. I really enjoyed it, though the minis here seem to add quite a bit of $$ to the price tag (and they do look great). However, I didn't feel the game was diminished in any way playing with the tokens and that's still a backing option (which is nice). I'm definitely watching, but it's pretty damn spendy.
I have the core game and the Resistance expansion, but I will back it for the secret weapons expansion and the new ghost expansion, as well as the small upgrade kits (I appreciate the low price point on those). I honestly don’t think miniatures will add much to the game, as the tokens are two sided for a reason (concealed/revealed). I’m perfectly happy to continue playing with just the tokens.

It’s one of my favorite games still. I love how puzzly it is. It also goes from 0 to a 100 in a heartbeat, making for some truly cinematic game sessions. It isn’t a wargame, it’s a war movie.
I’m in the same situation as you are. Even though the minis are nice and I’m lacking WW2 minis that’s more minis to paint. If I’m lucky I won’t even need the upgrade kits and can just go in on the Ghost and Secret Weapons expansions. And even though they have tiles with redone artwork which also looks nice I think I can do without those as well. (Of course I can change my mind at any time... :lol: )
Black lives matter!

Wise words of warning from Smoove B: Oh, how you all laughed when I warned you about the semen. Well, who's laughing now?
hepcat

Post by hepcat »

Zarathud wrote: Tue Mar 30, 2021 2:45 am Cloudspire has arrived, and everything still fits into the box. I'm going to have to pick out a scenario in one of the books that doesn't make the game unfun.
AAAHHHH....schedule it! I'll read the rules beforehand too this time.
coopasonic wrote: Tue Mar 30, 2021 9:48 am Did hepcat post about this and I missed it?

I backed it for the upgrade the moment it started. I mentioned earlier that I got the newest edition and then all the expansions a few months back. I gave my Z Man copy to RMC Sunday when he was visiting me during my family visit to Ohio for our rescheduled Christmas game day. So now I don't feel as guilty about owning multiple copies.
He won. Period.
AWS260

Post by AWS260 »

Smoove_B

Post by Smoove_B »

New Sadler brothers KS is up, Lasting Tales.

This is a combo KS for the second series of generic fantasy miniatures and a minis-agnostic (though you can certainly use theirs) table top skirmish game that's in the vein of Rangers of Shadow Deep. The actual rules were designed by Mark Latham, creator for the Elder Scrolls Call to Arms and Walking Dead All Out War systems.

I feel bad that COVID and shipping containers have delayed the Series 1 minis, but I know that's not their fault. The Altar Quest minis are a good representation of what they're aiming for, so I'm in.

They've also partnered with Black Site Studios to give backers discounts on fantasy-themed terrain pieces (I think they're all MDF), but I don't believe they're officially part of the KS.
coopasonic

Post by coopasonic »

hepcat wrote: Tue Mar 30, 2021 11:08 am
coopasonic wrote: Tue Mar 30, 2021 9:48 am Did hepcat post about this and I missed it?

I backed it for the upgrade the moment it started. I mentioned earlier that I got the newest edition and then all the expansions a few months back. I gave my Z Man copy to RMC Sunday when he was visiting me during my family visit to Ohio for our rescheduled Christmas game day. So now I don't feel as guilty about owning multiple copies.
I'm thinking about it because I sold my z-man Robinson Crusoe in anticipation of First Martians... a move I will regret for the rest of my days.
-Coop
Black Lives Matter
Smoove_B

Post by Smoove_B »

Oh, and while it didn't ship yet (COVID delays), I was sent a PDF of the Tomb of the Bitchin' Chimera, the Dead Milkmen themed 5E adventure. The idea that I can now create a chimera that potentially has at least one head as Charles Nelson Reilly is something I've always wanted.

This is a good day.
$iljanus
Forum Moderator

Post by $iljanus »

AWS260 wrote: Tue Mar 30, 2021 11:33 am
I'll only back this if I can play Tom Hardy's character in Taboo. :D

Enlarge Image
Black lives matter!

Wise words of warning from Smoove B: Oh, how you all laughed when I warned you about the semen. Well, who's laughing now?
Zarathud

Post by Zarathud »

Smoove_B wrote:Oh, and while it didn't ship yet (COVID delays), I was sent a PDF of the Tomb of the Bitchin' Chimera, the Dead Milkmen themed 5E adventure. The idea that I can now create a chimera that potentially has at least one head as Charles Nelson Reilly is something I've always wanted.

This is a good day.
OMG! If you run this on Roll20, I will be there.
Smoove_B

Post by Smoove_B »

I'd asked them during the KS if they were going to offer a VTT translation and they said they had no experience at all in that area. I know there are people that do R20 and FGU translations free/cheap and I'm hoping someone figures it out for them.
Lordnine

Post by Lordnine »

I know I am probably the odd one out on this but I just cant get over how much I dislike the look of this game. Unfortunate because mechanically I think I would really enjoy it.
baelthazar

Post by baelthazar »

Ugh... I am trying to not Kickstart more stuff, but that Robinson Crusoe is so sweet looking. I am also looking at the new Monster Hunter: World Board Game that is on the horizon (although the fact the Dark Souls people did it is not a great sign) and the new horror-themed Hexplore It coming (despite just selling my copies of the first two - the horror theme is more my jam). Not only that, but the new horror-themed Warhammer Quest is coming up for pre-order this weekend.

Also, if you all like good card sleeves, Sleeve Kings is starting their line of Premium sleeves. I just bought a ton of their regular sleeves to sleeve up my copies of Shadows of Brimstone and I am very pleased with their quality. Despite being owned by Mayday Games, they do not suffer from the same quality control issues (I have read that Sleeve Kings sleeves are produced by a factory specifically for the company, whereas the Mayday Games sleeves are more contract-based).

<iframe src="" </iframe>
AWS260

Post by AWS260 »

Lordnine wrote: Tue Mar 30, 2021 4:53 pm
I know I am probably the odd one out on this but I just cant get over how much I dislike the look of this game. Unfortunate because mechanically I think I would really enjoy it.
Is it the theme or the overall art style?
hepcat

Post by hepcat »

The art is kind of goofy in a Victorian newspaper cartoon kind of way.
He won. Period.
Smoove_B

Post by Smoove_B »

I thought they were done with this - having released that giant epic monster set a year or so ago? I guess not. Reboots are so hot right now.

Lordnine

Post by Lordnine »

AWS260 wrote: Wed Mar 31, 2021 10:08 am
Is it the theme or the overall art style?
Art style. The theme appeals to me.
Blackhawk

Post by Blackhawk »

Interesting. Looks like it's just a polished, updated version of the original core set with updated art. While I'll admit that the original could use a polish pass, It'd be hard to justify spending the money with the core set and several expansion sitting in the bedroom.

That said, it's a straightforward campaign, the game is great, easy to teach, solo friendly, and the price is good.
Holman

Post by Holman »

Lordnine wrote: Tue Mar 30, 2021 4:53 pm
Have you seen the tutorial videos? The game board and components don't overwhelm with the cartoon style visible above. There's a bit of it, but it's restrained. (The satirical images are probably from the period satirical magazine PUNCH.)
Much prefer my Nazis Nuremberged.
Smoove_B

Post by Smoove_B »

Blackhawk wrote: Wed Mar 31, 2021 10:36 pm That said, it's a straightforward campaign, the game is great, easy to teach, solo friendly, and the price is good.
Looks more like a true pre-order with a slight discount and foil card freebie than anything else, which is weird. I'm astounded they can't offer the same thing themselves and not need to pay KS to run the promotion.
Fardaza

Post by Fardaza »

Smoove_B wrote: Wed Mar 31, 2021 9:36 pm I thought they were done with this - having released that giant epic monster set a year or so ago? I guess not. Reboots are so hot right now.

This seems great! But ...

I've never played or even seen this. How many cards are in this core game that you would need 800 sleeves?

:shock: :o :shock:
TheMix

Post by TheMix »

Without looking it up, somewhere around 40 per hero, 25 per villain, and 12 per environment. Leaving out the Oblivion stuff that mucks it up. Then you 20+ heroes, 10+ villains, and 10+ environments.

Edit: It should be noted that this game is all cards.
Edit 2: Though it appears this is not going to be a revamp of everything from the original edition. So.... fewer heroes, fewer villains, fewer environments.

Black Lives Matter

Isgrimnur - Facebook makes you hate your friends and family. LinkedIn makes you hate you co-workers. NextDoor makes you hate your neighbors.
AWS260

Re: Kickstarter and other crowdfunding platforms

Post by AWS260 »

I changed the thread title, since Gamefound seems to be making a big play for Kickstarter's tabletop dominance.
YellowKing

Post by YellowKing »

Sentinels is just one of those games I prefer on the app vs real life. I own the physical copy but it can get soooo fiddly keeping up with everyone's modifiers and effects. That said, I still love the theme and world, which is why I caved and went in on Freedom Five.
Anonymous Bosch

Post by Anonymous Bosch »

Fardaza wrote: Fri Apr 02, 2021 5:06 pm
Smoove_B wrote: Wed Mar 31, 2021 9:36 pm I thought they were done with this - having released that giant epic monster set a year or so ago? I guess not. Reboots are so hot right now.

This seems great! But ...

I've never played or even seen this. How many cards are in this core game that you would need 800 sleeves?

:shock: :o :shock:
I'd suggest first trying the digital version prior to delving into the physical edition, because the physical version involves a fairly significant amount of complex rules admin and upkeep (which can be ameliorated with the paid Sidekick app):

"There is only one basic human right, the right to do as you damn well please. And with it comes the only basic human duty, the duty to take the consequences." — P. J. O'Rourke
hepcat

Post by hepcat »

Looks like my copy of Pax Renaissance 2nd edition and Pax Vikings is shipping. I’m also expecting my upgrade kit for Ashes Reborn on Monday. Gonna be a heavy game week.
He won. Period.