Car troubles thread....

Everything else!

Moderators: Bakhtosh, EvilHomer3k

Anonymous Bosch

Re: Car troubles thread....

Post by Anonymous Bosch »

Punisher wrote: Mon Sep 25, 2023 11:09 pm Have you thought about getting one of those tester thinfs? They plug into a port under your steering wheel. Cant remember the name of the port but its standard.
That would be an OBD-II (On-Board Diagnostics) scanner, e.g. here's a popular budget model, available via Amazon for <$30 after applying the 20% discount coupon:

Autel Professional OBD2 Scanner AL319 Code Reader

Enlarge Image
"There is only one basic human right, the right to do as you damn well please. And with it comes the only basic human duty, the duty to take the consequences." — P. J. O'Rourke
Daehawk

Post by Daehawk »

I have actually. Just not sure if I should waste money on a product that only tells me the problem but wont fix it.
--------------------------------------------
I am Dyslexic of Borg, prepare to have your ass laminated.
I guess Ray Butts has ate his last pancake.
http://steamcommunity.com/id/daehawk
"Has high IQ. Refuses to apply it"
Anonymous Bosch

Post by Anonymous Bosch »

Daehawk wrote: Tue Sep 26, 2023 10:28 am I have actually. Just not sure if I should waste money on a product that only tells me the problem but wont fix it.
How would that be wasting money? The first steps in troubleshooting methodology are to accurately identify problems and determine their cause.

If you're fortunate, perhaps it's something you can repair or replace yourself. If not, then at least you'd then possess pertinent information you can provide to a mechanic as to precisely where your engine problems lie vs. vaguely ascribing them to electrical gremlins.
"There is only one basic human right, the right to do as you damn well please. And with it comes the only basic human duty, the duty to take the consequences." — P. J. O'Rourke
Blackhawk

Post by Blackhawk »

Anonymous Bosch wrote: Tue Sep 26, 2023 11:07 am
Daehawk wrote: Tue Sep 26, 2023 10:28 am I have actually. Just not sure if I should waste money on a product that only tells me the problem but wont fix it.
How would that be wasting money? The first steps in troubleshooting methodology are to accurately identify problems and determine their cause.

If you're fortunate, perhaps it's something you can repair or replace yourself. If not, then at least you'd then possess pertinent information you can provide to a mechanic as to precisely where your engine problems lie vs. vaguely ascribing them to electrical gremlins.
Exactly that. It's possible you'll be wasting the money. But it's possible that it's a $5 fix that takes ten minutes, plus you'll have it on hand the next time your car gets wombly. Sooner or later it will save you more than you paid for it.
(˙pǝsɹǝʌǝɹ uǝǝq sɐɥ ʎʇıʌɐɹƃ ʃɐuosɹǝd ʎW)
Daehawk

Post by Daehawk »

All true. Thats how I am with all the tools I have. Buy them once have them always. I didn't get handed down anything and the stuff my father in law had that family came in and took away many years ago. Left me with a hammer and some screwdrivers.
Punisher

Post by Punisher »

Daehawk wrote: Tue Sep 26, 2023 3:47 pm All true. Thats how I am with all the tools I have. Buy them once have them always. I didn't get handed down anything and the stuff my father in law had that family came in and took away many years ago. Left me with a hammer and some screwdrivers.
N00b...where's your duct tape?
All yourLightning Bolts are Belong to Us
Blackhawk

Post by Blackhawk »

Punisher wrote: Tue Sep 26, 2023 3:50 pm
Daehawk wrote: Tue Sep 26, 2023 3:47 pm All true. Thats how I am with all the tools I have. Buy them once have them always. I didn't get handed down anything and the stuff my father in law had that family came in and took away many years ago. Left me with a hammer and some screwdrivers.
N00b... he threw it away and bought gaffer's tape, which is better in every way (except for waterproofing - which is what it's meant for.)
Punisher

Post by Punisher »

Blackhawk wrote: Tue Sep 26, 2023 3:55 pm
Punisher wrote: Tue Sep 26, 2023 3:50 pm
N00b... he threw it away and bought gaffer's tape, which is better in every way (except for waterproofing - which is what it's meant for.)
Obviously you've been paid off by the gaffer syndicate.
Your car will get wet at some point so you need waterproofing.
Blackhawk

Post by Blackhawk »

Punisher wrote: Tue Sep 26, 2023 4:02 pm Obviously you've been paid off by the gaffer syndicate.
The International Alliance of Theatrical Stage Employees, Moving Picture Technicians, Artists and Allied Crafts?

Nope. Never done business with them. Also, never accept gold bars from professional prop makers.
Daehawk

Post by Daehawk »

I always have Duck duct goose tape.
Punisher

Post by Punisher »

Daehawk wrote: Tue Sep 26, 2023 5:29 pm I always have Duck duct goose tape.
I've actually switched to the guerilla brand i f8nd that it works much better..as long as you dont plan on removing it.
Daehawk

Post by Daehawk »

Punisher wrote: Tue Sep 26, 2023 9:50 pm
I've actually switched to the guerilla brand i f8nd that it works much better..as long as you dont plan on removing it.
I switched my super glue brand to Gorilla brand a few years ago.
Blackhawk

Post by Blackhawk »

Punisher wrote: Tue Sep 26, 2023 9:50 pm
That's actually what I like about gaffer's tape (sometimes called gaff tape.) It was designed for gaffers - the people on film sets who manage all things electrical - for taping down cables. It's cloth based rather than plastic, it's more heat resistant (to be able to adhere things to bright lights) , it's non-reflective, so it isn't as noticeable (can't have it visible on set), and it's not as stretchy. It holds better than any duck tape I've ever used, lasts forever, and doesn't leave residue the way duck tape does.

I bought my first roll (after hearing Adam Savage rave about it) specifically to secure the rear speaker wires for my home theater. I've been walking over that tape for five years and it hasn't rolled or budged. Duck tape the same age tends to crack and flake.

But, there are things that duck tape is better at. Waterproofing (which is what it was invented for), anything that will be exposed to water, any time you want it to stretch.
Punisher

Post by Punisher »

I dont usually listen to obvious shills but youve been trained well.
I'm interested.
Fine send me the special link you use to get your cut..
Blackhawk

Post by Blackhawk »

Heh.

I forgot a downside: most duck tape is targeted at comsumers. Gaffer's tape is sold as a professional tool. That means that it's high quality, but also more expensive.
Scraper

Post by Scraper »

Autozone (and other similar shops) has these scanners that they will use on your car for free if you can get it there. If you can't get it there they will rent one to you. You have to put a deposit down for the full value of the scanner, BUT they refund it 100% when you return the tool.
FTE
LawBeefaroni
Forum Moderator

Post by LawBeefaroni »

My TPMS is alerting again. I swear if its another nail/screw I'm going to lose it. I can't go 1000 miles with needing at least one new tire.
" Hey OP, listen to my advice alright." -Tha General
"No scientific discovery is named after its original discoverer." -Stigler's Law of Eponymy, discovered by Robert K. Merton

MYT
Smoove_B

Post by Smoove_B »

Been dealing with that since last month. One tire was ~5 lbs low (figured it was a slow leak) now all four tires (!) are 2-3lbs low. Best guess now is all four rims have corrosion at the bead, which I guess means four new rims? Didn't think I was going to miss having a garage to park in. As it turns out, they apparently keep your car in better shape for a longer time.
Maybe next year, maybe no go
Punisher

Post by Punisher »

Could the air problems just be wrather related? Just hoing from cold to hot or hot to cold?
LawBeefaroni
Forum Moderator

Post by LawBeefaroni »

Punisher wrote: Thu Sep 28, 2023 2:16 pm Could the air problems just be wrather related? Just hoing from cold to hot or hot to cold?
In my experience the last 4 or 5 years, it's probably a nail or other debris. Every time the sensors went off, a tire eventually would slow leak.

Usually I'll top them all off, it will be fine for a week or two and then happen again, lasting a bit less each time. It just becomes a matter of identifying which tire it is and then getting it replaced. Or that time I had run flats, getting them all replaced.
"No scientific discovery is named after its original discoverer." -Stigler's Law of Eponymy, discovered by Robert K. Merton

MYT
Daehawk

Post by Daehawk »

My wife nicknamed our car the silver bullet. Im going to renickname it to the dead lead sled.
Daehawk

Post by Daehawk »

I had my sister run me by the closest mechanic we'd used before. He was retiring and not taking new work. Damnit. He recommended a tow place and a car shop . Said it would probably be another $600 or so. So with the vet I now am way deep in more debt. Fun life. Anyways next year is still looking bright and I will dig out no worries.
Brian

Post by Brian »

LawBeefaroni wrote: Thu Sep 28, 2023 2:07 pm My TPMS is alerting again. I swear if its another nail/screw I'm going to lose it. I can't go 1000 miles with needing at least one new tire.
When my eldest daughter bought a new Ford several years ago they pushed, and she happily agreed to, their tire replacement plan. It added maybe a dollar or two to her monthly payment.

After something like the 20th replacement tire they were like, "sorry, we just can't keep doing this anymore" and she said, "I'm sorry but it's in the agreement so, yeah, you will have to replace it."

She traded in the car not long after that to what I imagine was their immense relief.
"Don't believe everything you read on the internet." - Abraham Lincoln
em2nought

Post by em2nought »

LawBeefaroni wrote: Thu Sep 28, 2023 2:07 pm My TPMS is alerting again. I swear if its another nail/screw I'm going to lose it. I can't go 1000 miles with needing at least one new tire.
Sam's Club premium membership used to include tire repairs for free, and they didn't have to be tires bought at the club. I had them patch tires from cars and trailers with the correct inside patch not a plug like I would have had to do myself. I don't know if they still offer the service as I have far fewer tires to worry about now, but you might want to check since getting a patch is at least $20 in the new normal.
"Four more years!" "Pause." LMAO
Daehawk

Post by Daehawk »

Called the tow place and mechanic to get a baseline price..tow guy says $90..I mean its like 4 damn miles..IF that. Gonna check around on that.

The mechanic seemed nice and is $60 for diag before work IF they even charge that he said.
Octavious

Post by Octavious »

LawBeefaroni wrote: Thu Sep 28, 2023 2:19 pm
Punisher wrote: Thu Sep 28, 2023 2:16 pm Could the air problems just be wrather related? Just hoing from cold to hot or hot to cold?
In my experience the last 4 or 5 years, it's probably a nail or other debris. Every time the sensors went off, a tire eventually would slow leak.

Usually I'll top them all off, it will be fine for a week or two and then happen again, lasting a bit less each time. It just becomes a matter of identifying which tire it is and then getting it replaced. Or that time I had run flats, getting them all replaced.
I just had a big old screw pulled out of one of my tires. Thankfully it was smack dab in the middle. I had a slow leak for a month and had them fix it when I went to get an oil change. For Smoove I find it really odd that all 4 tires are going down at the same time. Did you mess with the marching band? :P
Capitalism tries for a delicate balance: It attempts to work things out so that everyone gets just enough stuff to keep them from getting violent and trying to take other people’s stuff.

Shameless plug for my website: www.nettphoto.com
Daehawk

Post by Daehawk »

If you just have 1 tire go down its more likely the other 3 swelled up.
Last edited by Daehawk on Tue Oct 24, 2023 7:19 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Punisher

Post by Punisher »

Daehawk wrote: Tue Oct 24, 2023 11:09 am Called the tow place and mechanic to get a baseline price..tow guy says $90..I mean its like 4 damn miles..IF that. Gonna check around on that.

The mechanic seemed nice and is $60 for diag before work IF they even charge that he said.
Have you thought about looking into AAA?
Smoove_B

Post by Smoove_B »

AAA isn't going to tow a lawn ornament. They'll respond to something *after* a policy has been signed and paid for - probably $100 for the first 50 miles (plus whatever benefits you get with a $100 membership - like a gallon of gas and a battery jump).

My mechanic offers a partial credit on repair if he tows a car to his garage and fixes. Seems like that's going to be the best option here. That said, without looking at the car or knowing its overall state, paying $100 to tow it to a garage only to find out it needs $2K worth of repairs is likely less than ideal.
Maybe next year, maybe no go
Kraken

Post by Kraken »

Punisher wrote: Tue Oct 24, 2023 6:51 pm
Daehawk wrote: Tue Oct 24, 2023 11:09 am Called the tow place and mechanic to get a baseline price..tow guy says $90..I mean its like 4 damn miles..IF that. Gonna check around on that.

AAA’s cheapest membership is the Classic plan, which costs $29 to $64 per year, depending on the region. The AAA Classic membership offers roadside services like towing, fuel delivery and flat tire changes, plus perks like discounts at hotels and certain stores. Services and perks offered with the Classic plan can also vary by region.

Services Offered with the AAA Classic Plan

3-5 free miles of towing per call, up to 4 calls per year
Flat tire service
Battery jump-starts
Fuel delivery (price of fuel not included)
Lockout service for your car
Winching or extracting stuck vehicles
DMV services at AAA offices, including vehicle registration and title services
Discounts for auto parts, hotels, movie and sporting event tickets, stores like Reebok Outlet and 1-800-Flowers, and restaurants across the U.S.
Identity theft monitoring
Reimbursement for legal defense fees for certain minor traffic violations, manslaughter, or reckless driving
Reimbursement for things like rental car fees, meals and lodging due to a trip interrupted by a car accident
"4 damn miles" seems to fall in the 3-5 free range. Hell, $90 would get you the fancy membership that goes 100 miles. You'll have to go to aaa.com to see the prices for your region.
Classic 4 tows, up to 3-7 miles each $38-$90
AAA Plus 4 tows, up to 100 miles each $60-$140
em2nought

Post by em2nought »

I wonder if there's a waiting period from the time you get AAA membership to the time they will do your first tow? Even if he had to wait it would be worth because he'd be covered the rest of the year for around the same cost as just that one tow. I've had AAA for over ten years because I drive junk cars. They've helped me out at least four times during that period. It would be even more often, but I sometimes put a temporary plug in a tire or put spares on myself. So I recommend AAA as being a worthwhile service. Not only have they towed my vehicle, but they've giving me a ride along at the same time.
"Four more years!" "Pause." LMAO
Punisher

Post by Punisher »

em2nought wrote: Tue Oct 24, 2023 7:14 pm

I wonder if there's a waiting period from the time you get AAA membership to the time they will do your first tow? Even if he had to wait it would be worth because he'd be covered the rest of the year for around the same cost as just that one tow. I've had AAA for over ten years because I drive junk cars. They've helped me out at least four times during that period. It would be even more often, but I sometimes put a temporary plug in a tire or put spares on myself. So I recommend AAA as being a worthwhile service. Not only have they towed my vehicle, but they've giving me a ride along at the same time.
IIRC, it was about 30 days waiting period.
I've had them tow my completely dead criwn vic to a mechanic so unless it looks completely shot, I don't think they care if it's dead or not.
Daehawk

Post by Daehawk »

Now that you mention it my car insurance comes with tow...but that may be just for emergencies on roadside...plus it may affect my payments.
Octavious

Post by Octavious »

Insurance isn't going to raise your rates because you got a single tow. They likely won't cover towing it from your house, but doesn't hurt to call and ask. I got my car stuck in my driveway because I was like dude I can totally just pull into the snow and couldn't get it back out. They covered that.
Capitalism tries for a delicate balance: It attempts to work things out so that everyone gets just enough stuff to keep them from getting violent and trying to take other people’s stuff.

Shameless plug for my website: www.nettphoto.com
gilraen

Post by gilraen »

Maybe it varies by state but in Colorado AAA will cover from anywhere your car is stuck, including your house. Basic membership includes a 7-mile tow (I never encountered a scenario where the guy said the tow was too far). And there's no waiting period.
LawBeefaroni
Forum Moderator

Post by LawBeefaroni »

Bought a new tire yesterday. It was patchable but with an upcoming road trip, just went with a new one.

I should probably just have a subscription. Thats 9 tires in the last 10K miles.

MYT
LawBeefaroni
Forum Moderator

Post by LawBeefaroni »

Idea: put a stong magnet on my rear bumper. Collect the nails, screws, and shards of debris thet it picks up daily and sell for scrap to pay for new tires.

MYT
Alefroth

Post by Alefroth »

Unless you drive in reverse a lot, wouldn't front bumper be better?
Punisher

Post by Punisher »

LawBeefaroni wrote: Wed Oct 25, 2023 12:11 pm Idea: put a stong magnet on my rear bumper. Collect the nails, screws, and shards of debris thet it picks up daily and sell for scrap to pay for new tires.
Based on yoyr history you dont beed a magnet. The tires attract them just fine.
hepcat

Post by hepcat »

LawBeefaroni wrote: Wed Oct 25, 2023 12:09 pm Bought a new tire yesterday. It was patchable but with an upcoming road trip, just went with a new one.

I should probably just have a subscription. Thats 9 tires in the last 10K miles.
Good lord, I thought I had it bad with about 3 in that same time frame. :shock:
He won. Period.