Solo RPG: English Eerie

All discussions regarding Board, Card, and RPG Gaming, including industry discussion, that don't belong in one of the other gaming forums.

Moderators: The Preacher, $iljanus, Zaxxon

YellowKing

Solo RPG: English Eerie

Post by YellowKing »

The solo Star Trek stuff inspired me to look around at some other solo RPGs and I stumbled across this one on Drive-Thru RPG that was right up my alley. Eerie English is a journaling folk horror game (one of my favorite horror subgenres), so I thought I'd give it a whirl. It's played with a d10 and a regular deck of playing cards which are used to determine story events and outcomes of challenges. I'll also be using it to randomize the scenario I'm playing and possibly some other aspects.

Because the game flow is that every 2 cards turned over equals one day in the story, I thought it might be fun to just make this a daily activity and use this thread as the journal. Feel free to interrupt and post thoughts as we go along. I don't know if anyone will be interested in this, but since I'll be typing all this stuff out anyway I figured why not make it available for others to read.

Character creation: This game only utilizes 2 stats, Spirit and Resolve. Spirit is our overall physical and mental health, while Resolve is similar to Inspiration in D&D - it can be spent to give us a +2 to die roll checks before we roll, or spent to give us a +1 to a die roll after we roll. We have 10 points to split between these two stats, though we must have at least 3 in one stat.

For this game I'm going to go with 6 Spirit and 4 Resolve.

I'm rolling a d10 to choose which of the 10 included scenarios we'll be playing, and the result is a 4:

A Rattle of Chains

The date is 1878. You have received news that your dear uncle has
passed away. With this somber news comes a silver lining - he has
bequeathed you his estate in Derbyshire in his will. Living in the
middle of London, you have longed to leave the city life for the
serenity of the country, so within the next month you have packed
and left for Derbyshire to start your new life. While your small
London residence was fine for a single person, you find yourself
alone in a vast eight bedroom manor house. However, soon you
find that you’re less alone than you think.

Your character requires a name, occupation, background, 3 defining characteristics or objects, and 3 fears.

Some scenarios give you a profession or some other starting information about your character, but this one gives you only what you know from the above paragraph. I imagine since this person longs for the countryside they are typically very busy, and because they live alone perhaps too busy to have ever even had a chance at romance.

Name: Arthur Fennis
Background: Arthur is a slim lad in his early 30s, a bookish sort who has always been fascinated with business and numbers. Upon graduation with his accounting degree, Arthur moved to the big city of London to immerse himself in the center of financial trade. Yet while he has become quite successful in his business, his perfectionism and inability to delegate work to others has left him overwhelmed and overworked. When he received word of the manor left in his uncle's will, Arthur immediately seized upon the opportunity to take a much-needed sabbatical to the countryside. Perhaps there he will be able to reset, refocus, and determine where his career will next take him.

3 Defining Characteristics:

1. Fragile build - Arthur is tall, lanky, and weak of muscle
2. Notebook - Arthur always carries a notebook and pencil for making quick calculations or notes
3. Poor eyesight - Arthur is nearly blind without his glasses and wears them almost constantly

3 Fears:

1. Arthur is afraid of the dark, primarily due to his poor eyesight
2. A solitary sort, Arthur gets exceedingly nervous in big crowds
3. Arthur can't swim and is deathly afraid of large bodies of water

With all that set, we can begin Day 1.
Last edited by YellowKing on Wed Aug 30, 2023 6:41 pm, edited 1 time in total.
YellowKing

Re: Solo RPG: English Eerie

Post by YellowKing »

Day 1

August 30, 1878.

I must admit that the first view of my uncle's manor was one of profound disappointment. He had obviously been in failing health (both physical and financial) for some time, as the manor is in severe disrepair. Rotting wood, crumbling stone, and the occasional cracked window seemed more fitting for a house long abandoned than one whose occupant only recently departed this mortal realm. The grounds surrounding the main house were grown up, unkempt, and filled with weeds and brush. A small pond in front was filled with algae and detritus from the surrounding trees, and I shuddered to think what lurked below those murky waters.

Nevertheless, the property was mine now and there was nothing to be done but to ascertain what to do with it. I certainly didn't have the funds or time to manage the place from London, but a case could be made for living here for a few weeks while having the more egregious failings repaired. Along with the manor, my uncle generously bestowed upon me a sizeable amount of funds, that, if spent wisely, could turn the estate into a comfortable vacation home.

Upon entering the manor I was not surprised to see that the interior had suffered from the same neglect as the exterior. Cobwebs adorned every corner and chandelier, and a thick layer of dust covered every surface. I would need to hire some immediate help - a maid, a gardener, and perhaps a cook since I would undoubtedly be too busy to prepare my own meals...

At this point I'll flip the first story card. It's a 4 of clubs. Clubs signify a secondary character obstruction, and the 4 signifies the difficulty of overcoming this obstruction. Four secondary characters are listed in the scenario, so I'm going to randomly choose which one appears.

<RAP RAP RAP> There was a light tapping at the door, startling me out of my reflection. Opening the door, I was surprised to see a pretty young lady carrying a basket of bread and pastries. Her dark hair and bright blue eyes made for an enchanting combination, and had I not been so caught up in my anxiety over the state of the house I might have felt a bit nervous in her presence.

"May I help you?" I inquired politely.

"Ah yes, you must be Mr. Fennis, Robert's nephew," she says pleasantly. "I pardon the intrusion but I heard you were arriving this morning and wanted to bring you some breakfast. I'm Emma Trotter, I run the bakery in the village. Robert - your uncle - always loved the sweet rolls and I thought it only fitting to bring some over in his memory. I have so missed our morning chats since he...well, you know."

"Oh my, yes please do come in Miss Trotter. I must warn you, the place is a shambles. It seems my uncle's last days must have been difficult."

The young lady stepped through the doorway and set the basket on a nearby table, kicking up a plume of dust. If this filth, disturbed her, however, her face didn't show it. In fact she seemed completely oblivious to the state of disrepair.

"I must ask, Miss Trotter - how exactly did you know of my arrival? I don't recall telling anyone outside of my driver."

"It's a small village, Mr. Fennis. Word spreads quickly, especially when it comes to Criburn Manor."

"Criburn? I didn't realize the manor had a name."

"Oh yes, it has a name alright. And a reputation." She suddenly looked startled, as if she'd said too much. "I'm sorry, I didn't mean to imply that your uncle is included in that reputation. He was a kind and generous spirit, and everyone in the village adored him."

"Then what exactly did you mean, Miss Trotter?"

She sighed. "I mean that the house has a history. It's old, Mr. Fennis. Very old. The house has seen many things over the years, not all of them joyful. In fact, as houses go, I'd wager it's seen more misery than most."

I smiled. "Well, the past is the past Miss Trotter. I hope to turn this old place's fortunes around. Perhaps in a few months it will know nothing but cleanliness, sunshine, and joy."

Her face collapsed into concern. "Did you say months? Surely you don't plan on staying here?"

"Well of course," I replied. "A few weeks at minimum. I can't very well oversee the repairs from London. And I must say, it will provide quite a bit more room than my place in the city."

"Mr. Fennis, I know I don't know you. But you appear to be a very nice man and I have to believe that any relative of your uncle's was as good-hearted as he. I beg of you, please leave this place. Go back to London. It's not safe here."

At this point I'm going to roll to see if I overcome the obstacle of Miss Trotter's pleading. I could choose to spend a Resolve to add +2 to my roll, but because this is the lowest difficulty obstacle at 4, I'm going to pass.

I roll a 5 and succeed.

"Thank you very much Miss Trotter but I'm sure I'll be perfectly fine. I do appreciate your concern and greatly appreciate the pastries. I can't wait to dive into them. Now if you'll excuse me, I do have a tremendous amount of work to do. Perhaps I can drop by the bakery later this week and we can resume our conversation. I'd love to know more about the history of the house."

Miss Trotter smiled and nodded, but her furrowed brow gave away her continued concern. She departed, head hung low in what - regret? Defeat? I could not quite tell what had just transpired, but it was soon out of mind. The day passed quickly as I made arrangements for help, caught up on bookkeeping, and explored the rest of the manor. Unfortunately nothing I came across provided any clue as to why the place was in such a state. I tidied up a room which appeared to be in at least a somewhat livable condition and prepared for the setting sun.

At this point I'll draw the second story card for the day. It's a 5 of Hearts. Hearts signify that a secondary character was harmed in some way, but does not require an obstacle roll.

As the shadows grew darker around my flickering candles, I was suddenly startled by a woman's scream! It was coming from just outside, so I grabbed a lantern, threw open the front door, and ran out into the night. Unfortunately in my haste I had forgotten my spectacles, and the night was but a blur. I started to turn to retrieve them but heard a splash from the pond! "Hello?" I cried. "Hello, who's there?"

More splashing is all I got in return, and I forced my paralyzed legs to follow the sounds to the murky black pond. All was quiet as I approached the edge, every instinct telling me to turn and run from that vile mass of inky water. Had someone fallen in? Who would have been out here at night? Damn my weak eyes! I could see nothing but shadows and the pale reflection of the moonlight.

Then, as if a specter appearing before me, I saw a white shape float to the surface of the pond before me. A figure, human, rotating slowly to reveal white skin beneath matted black hair. And as the figure turned towards me I did not need my spectacles to recognize the piercing blue eyes of Miss Trotter. Except now they saw nothing but the empty black void of death!

To be continued...
TheMix

Post by TheMix »

Yowza. Not wasting any time!

I will say that early 20s sounds too young. "you have longed to leave the city life" seems to suggest he lived in London for more than a couple of years.

Black Lives Matter

Isgrimnur - Facebook makes you hate your friends and family. LinkedIn makes you hate you co-workers. NextDoor makes you hate your neighbors.
YellowKing

Post by YellowKing »

Agreed, I'll bump him up to early 30s.
TheMix

Post by TheMix »

YellowKing wrote: Wed Aug 30, 2023 6:41 pm Agreed, I'll bump him up to early 30s.
Works for me. Now stop killing off his potential love interests! :D

Black Lives Matter

Isgrimnur - Facebook makes you hate your friends and family. LinkedIn makes you hate you co-workers. NextDoor makes you hate your neighbors.
Punisher

Post by Punisher »

TheMix wrote: Wed Aug 30, 2023 10:40 pm
YellowKing wrote: Wed Aug 30, 2023 6:41 pm Agreed, I'll bump him up to early 30s.
Works for me. Now stop killing off his potential love interests! :D
Really..
It says harmed in some way not kill them off. If you just aren't interested in Ms. Trotter you could have just broken her leg and shipped her off for recovery.
All yourLightning Bolts are Belong to Us
YellowKing

Post by YellowKing »

:lol: :lol: :lol: - Sorry it's a horror story and the story deck is a harsh mistress!

In hindsight you guys were probably right though. There are three "Grey Lady" cards dispersed evenly throughout the deck that signify an increase in the story's tension, and the first one may be a bit anti-climactic now. Oh well, it's my first time through so I'm still learning the pacing.
Blackhawk

Post by Blackhawk »

Well, it does serve to set the stakes.

And it's horror, after all. It's not hard to come up with an out. The next morning she shows up with pastries, and has no idea what he is talking about. Is she a ghost? Twin sister? A witch? Is he going mad?
(˙pǝsɹǝʌǝɹ uǝǝq sɐɥ ʎʇıʌɐɹƃ ʃɐuosɹǝd ʎW)
hentzau

Post by hentzau »

You're way better at this than I am. :)
“We can never allow Murania to become desecrated by the presence of surface people. Our lives are serene, our minds are superior, our accomplishments greater. Gene Autry must be captured!!!” - Queen Tika, The Phantom Empire
YellowKing

Post by YellowKing »

Only if by "better" you mean not being able to shut my damn trap. :lol: I promise Day 2 will be (at least slightly less) wordy.

Now hentzau, let's get back to some starship piloting. I've been plowing through Enterprise and I'm looking forward to this weird dragon planet of yours.
YellowKing

Post by YellowKing »

Day 2

August 31, 1878

I had no sleep last night after discovering poor Miss Trotter in the pond. With no servants yet in my employ, I had no choice but to ride into the village on the back of Happy Susan, a swaybacked gray mare that was living out the remainder of her days in a nearby pasture. Fortunately I was able to find some tackle and a saddle in the stables, and with some considerable degree of effort got her into riding shape.

The ride into the village was terrifying at night, with every shadowed nook between the trees harboring (in my mind) some ghastly specter. Worse, every stone glinting in the moonlight brought back visions of Miss Trotter's dead, pale face rising from the depths of the pond. Fortunately the village was closer than I had anticipated, and it was still early enough in the evening that a few townsfolk were still about and able to give me directions to the constable.

The rest of the night was spent answering a multitude of questions (few of which I had satisfactory answers for), and fearing greatly that somehow Miss Trotter's death might be laid upon me. After all, I was a stranger with no alibi! Fortunately my disheveled state and distraught demeanor must have convinced the constable I had no part in her death, particularly after the coroner found not a single sign of struggle or injury on her body. Perhaps I must also thank my uncle's sterling reputation in the village, for everyone seemed to hold me in high regard just by virtue of being a blood relation.

It was approaching dawn before everyone had left and I was finally able to lie down.

<Drawing the next story card. It is a 4 of Spades. Spades signify a clue that the character finds. The scenario gives a list of potential clues, I chose one at random>

I awoke to a peculiar sensation of activity in the house. No noises, no sense of movement, but an energy that seemed different than the perfect serenity that I encountered upon my arrival yesterday. I got up and walked into the study, feeling myself drawn there more than the other rooms of the house. The fire in the fireplace was crackling merrily. I stared at it with the same bewilderment as if a green orangutan had marched through the house banging a drum. For you see, I had never started that fire.

My first thought, after my initial shock, was that I was being silly. Of course the manor wasn't *completely* deserted. There may be stablehands and other laborers that lingered behind. If my uncle was so beloved, surely it wouldn't be out of the ordinary for a few former servants to check in on the place from time to time. And at any rate, I already knew that the entire village was aware of my arrival. Perhaps someone was here to provide comfort after the previous night's terrible events.

Except...I was certain I had locked the door. Had, in fact, secured all the doors before retiring. While poor Miss Trotter's death had been ruled an unfortunate accident (she must have been coming to visit when she lost her way in the dark and stumbled into the pond), I had no way of knowing that for sure. She might have been pushed or thrown in by some mysterious assailant, and I was not about to leave the manor unsecured. Could I have forgotten an entrance in my stressed state of mind? I supposed it was possible, but a chill still ran up my spine as I gazed into the dancing flames.

<Drawing the next story card. It is a 5 of Diamonds. Diamonds signify an environment obstruction that I must overcome>

All of a sudden, the flames of the fireplace erupted towards me! I threw myself backward, feeling the hellish heat singe my face and pass overhead.

<I have to decide whether to spend a Resolve to up my chances here from 50/50. The next card drawn will be a Grey Lady, which means obstacle rolls from here on out will be getting more difficult. Also based on the makeup of the deck, I know I have at least 6 more obstacles in the story to overcome. With only 4 resolve, I probably need to take my chances. I choose not to spend a Resolve and roll........a 1! I failed the roll which means I lose a Spirit. It's just as well, the Resolve wouldn't have helped that roll anyway!>

I scrambled away from the hearth only to feel a searing pain. My clothes were aflame! In an act of pure instinnct I rolled across the floor in an attempt to smother the flames. Within a few seconds I felt the dissipation of heat, but the damage was done. The slightest rubbing of my shirt against my skin produced an agonizing wave of pain, and I knew I had suffered some considerable, if not life-threatening, burns.

Spirit: 5 Resolve 4

To be continued...