If it's a video game it goes here.

Moderators: LawBeefaroni, Arcanis, $iljanus

RM2

Dave the Diver

Post by RM2 »

coopasonic

Re: Dave the Diver

Post by coopasonic »

I saw someone playing it on twitch for a bit and it def looked interesting, but too many "must play" games right now.
-Coop
Black Lives Matter
Skinypupy

Post by Skinypupy »

I heard really good things, so I picked it up to kill time the week before BG3 launched. Thought it was...fine.

Mildly entertaining for a couple nights, but I haven't had any real desire to revisit it.
When darkness veils the world, four Warriors of Light shall come.
infinitelurker

Post by infinitelurker »

I picked this up in the recent Steam sale based upon the crazy-positive Steam reviews and word of mouth I’ve read.

I just wanted to offer up another opinion on it, as I’m having a ton of fun with it. It is giving me strong Stardew Valley vibes and has been a great relaxing option for me and keeps pulling me back in for more. It has a nice way of slowly introducing additional content/concepts over time, and the game world keeps expanding.

There is a sort of mini-game that is like the Diner Dash game where you have to serve food/drinks at your sushi restaurant. At first I thought that portion of the game would wear on me after a few hours of gameplay, but then I was introduced to the ability to hire workers to do the majority of that work for me.

Of course, before I bought it I looked here for reviews/thoughts and was initially leaning towards not trying it, but I thought I’ll return it if it isn’t my thing. So, I just wanted to give it my thumbs up as a good time, relaxing and fun in case anybody else is looking at the game.
Last edited by infinitelurker on Tue Jan 09, 2024 6:38 pm, edited 1 time in total.
-something witty-
Carpet_pissr

Post by Carpet_pissr »

I played an hour or so before realizing this REALLY needs to be played with a controller vs KB+mouse.
Carpet_pissr

Post by Carpet_pissr »

Still having fun with this, and surprised at how much content continues to open up. Very very basic game at first, but now...sheesh...lots going on, including a bit of economics, strategy, etc. But at a non-rushed pace, which I guess is what they were going for.

A few "timed" events that require some focus on what you do underwater, but even those limits are pretty forgiving.

Some of the cut scenes are just awesome! Very well done graphics and motion design.

Probably the weakest element for me is actually working the sushi bar every night, which is just not...fun IMO. If you like Cook, Serve, Delicious, or Overcooked, or going way back...Tapper! :D you will like this minigame, but it's a bit tedious. Would not be surprised to find out that you can unlock drones to deliver the sushi at some point. :D

7/10 so far.
LawBeefaroni
Forum Moderator

Post by LawBeefaroni »

I've been enjoying it as a wind-down type game. Runs great on the Steam Deck.
" Hey OP, listen to my advice alright." -Tha General
"No scientific discovery is named after its original discoverer." -Stigler's Law of Eponymy, discovered by Robert K. Merton

MYT
Carpet_pissr

Post by Carpet_pissr »

LawBeefaroni wrote: Sun Feb 04, 2024 6:16 pm I've been enjoying it as a wind-down type game. Runs great on the Steam Deck.
Is that touch screen? I imagine this game would be even better on a tablet, but as for my comment about a controller, KB+M is not as bad as I initially thought once I got used to it.
infinitelurker

Post by infinitelurker »

Carpet_pissr wrote: Sun Feb 04, 2024 5:57 pm Probably the weakest element for me is actually working the sushi bar every night, which is just not...fun IMO. If you like Cook, Serve, Delicious, or Overcooked, or going way back...Tapper! :D you will like this minigame, but it's a bit tedious. Would not be surprised to find out that you can unlock drones to deliver the sushi at some point. :D
I wasn't too far in when I was able to hire workers to help with the serving of sushi (and serving drinks which comes later too). That helped with my enjoyment of that portion of the game. I continue to be surprised with how much content continues to open up along the way.

+1 for the Tapper reference :D (nothing like being 13 years old in the arcade and stepping up to the arcade cabinet modeled to look like bellying up to the bar, with foot rail included, and start slinging Budweiser)
-something witty-
Carpet_pissr

Post by Carpet_pissr »

This game is fantastic...wow. I'm totally on board with the 90 score this got on Metacritic. The first 30m of play I was thinking "this is decent, but I don't get the hype". Just wait. The pacing in terms of how they let the gameplay elements unfold and open up to new content is just perfect. 38 hours on record but some of that was sitting idle I am sure.

I have played a LOT of modern, pixel graphics games, and this is the cream of the crop as far as I'm concerned. Just blown away by some of the graphic sequences. Whoever did the art design should have won an award if they didn't.

And FWIW, now that I am into the game a bit (probably heading into late game now, if not right in the middle of it), the tedious parts of the sushi bar are pretty much obsolete at this point, thankfully, thanks to some upgrades and such. My slow, fat ass has long been overtaken by younger, faster and much more capable servers. :D I pretty much sit back and watch the work at this point, occasionally cleaning up the tables, grabbing tips, chatting up MILFS as I pour them a beer, petting the cat etc.
Last edited by Carpet_pissr on Thu Feb 08, 2024 2:51 pm, edited 1 time in total.
LawBeefaroni
Forum Moderator

Post by LawBeefaroni »

Carpet_pissr wrote: Sun Feb 04, 2024 7:04 pm
LawBeefaroni wrote: Sun Feb 04, 2024 6:16 pm I've been enjoying it as a wind-down type game. Runs great on the Steam Deck.
Is that touch screen? I imagine this game would be even better on a tablet, but as for my comment about a controller, KB+M is not as bad as I initially thought once I got used to it.
It has touch but I use the gamepad controls. Haven't actually tried touch in DtD. Hmmmm.

Good to see the team rewarded for their efforts:
https://www.pcgamesn.com/dave-the-diver ... team-award
"No scientific discovery is named after its original discoverer." -Stigler's Law of Eponymy, discovered by Robert K. Merton

MYT
Carpet_pissr

Post by Carpet_pissr »

LawBeefaroni wrote: Thu Feb 08, 2024 1:55 pm
It has touch but I use the gamepad controls. Haven't actually tried touch in DtD. Hmmmm.

Nice....that also led me to finding out they released a free DLC for this game in collaboration with the devs of the DREDGE fishing game.
Smoove_B

Post by Smoove_B »

Carpet_pissr wrote: Thu Feb 08, 2024 11:11 am The first 30m of play I was thinking "this is decent, but I don't get the hype". Just wait.
I literally played for 30 minutes and had exactly that same reaction. I suppose I should fire it back up then...
Maybe next year, maybe no go
LawBeefaroni
Forum Moderator

Post by LawBeefaroni »

Carpet_pissr wrote: Thu Feb 08, 2024 2:50 pm
LawBeefaroni wrote: Thu Feb 08, 2024 1:55 pm

Nice....that also led me to finding out they released a free DLC for this game in collaboration with the devs of the DREDGE fishing game.
I mean how can you not love?

Enlarge Image

MYT
LawBeefaroni
Forum Moderator

Post by LawBeefaroni »

Smoove_B wrote: Thu Feb 08, 2024 3:48 pm
Carpet_pissr wrote: Thu Feb 08, 2024 11:11 am The first 30m of play I was thinking "this is decent, but I don't get the hype". Just wait.
I literally played for 30 minutes and had exactly that same reaction. I suppose I should fire it back up then...
Yeah, it really opens up. They slow roll it at just the right pace, IMO, but initially things do seem a bit sparse.

MYT
coopasonic

Post by coopasonic »

LawBeefaroni wrote: Thu Feb 08, 2024 4:36 pm I mean how can you not love?

Enlarge Image
Easy. Pixel graphics. Vomit Emoji.

A few have broken through for me and I have been spoiled to some of how the game opens up later so I might still give it a shot in spite of the graphics.
-Coop
Black Lives Matter
Carpet_pissr

Post by Carpet_pissr »

In spite of the graphics?! They are amazing! It's one of the most interesting, creative and impressive things about the game IMO.
Blackhawk

Post by Blackhawk »

I generally steer far away from pixel graphics myself. I can appreciate the art, but they just don't appeal to me all that much.
(˙pǝsɹǝʌǝɹ uǝǝq sɐɥ ʎʇıʌɐɹƃ ʃɐuosɹǝd ʎW)
Anonymous Bosch

Post by Anonymous Bosch »

Blackhawk wrote: Fri Feb 09, 2024 12:21 am I generally steer far away from pixel graphics myself. I can appreciate the art, but they just don't appeal to me all that much.
I understand the impulse, as pixel graphics can sometimes come across as a blatant attempt to cater to nostalgia and cash in on the retro trend. But there's a real charm and elegance to the splendid artwork of Dave the Diver, that I suspect even the most crotchety pixel art curmudgeon could appreciate and enjoy the overall experience:

Last edited by Anonymous Bosch on Fri Feb 09, 2024 1:30 am, edited 1 time in total.
"There is only one basic human right, the right to do as you damn well please. And with it comes the only basic human duty, the duty to take the consequences." — P. J. O'Rourke
Blackhawk

Post by Blackhawk »

Anonymous Bosch wrote: Fri Feb 09, 2024 1:25 am
Blackhawk wrote: Fri Feb 09, 2024 12:21 am I generally steer far away from pixel graphics myself. I can appreciate the art, but they just don't appeal to me all that much.
I understand the impulse, as pixel graphics can sometimes come across as a blatant attempt to cater to nostalgia and cash in on the retro trend. But there's a real charm and elegance to the splendid artwork of Dave the Diver, that I suspect even the most crotchety pixel art curmudgeon could appreciate:
That's not the rationale. I spent the Pixel Years wishing for games that looked better, wishing for games that were actually 3d, wishing for games that actually looked like what they were representing rather than just giving the impression of being that thing. That eventually came to be, and it gives me an experience more to my liking. There's no real desire to go back to what I find an inferior experience.

And besides, I did say that I can appreciate the art. I just don't want to play a game that's built around it.
Anonymous Bosch

Post by Anonymous Bosch »

Blackhawk wrote: Fri Feb 09, 2024 1:29 am
Anonymous Bosch wrote: Fri Feb 09, 2024 1:25 am
I understand the impulse, as pixel graphics can sometimes come across as a blatant attempt to cater to nostalgia and cash in on the retro trend. But there's a real charm and elegance to the splendid artwork of Dave the Diver, that I suspect even the most crotchety pixel art curmudgeon could appreciate:
That's not the rationale. I spent the Pixel Years wishing for games that looked better, wishing for games that were actually 3d, wishing for games that actually looked like what they were representing rather than just giving the impression of being that thing. That eventually came to be, and it gives me an experience more to my liking. There's no real desire to go back to what I find an inferior experience.

And besides, I did say that I can appreciate the art. I just don't want to play a game that's built around it.
Fair enough, that's your prerogative.
"There is only one basic human right, the right to do as you damn well please. And with it comes the only basic human duty, the duty to take the consequences." — P. J. O'Rourke
Unagi

Post by Unagi »

Blackhawk wrote: Fri Feb 09, 2024 1:29 am I just don't want to play a game that's built around it.
I certainly don't want to get into a big debate (so I probably shouldn't even post), but was it said/implied that this game was "built around the art"? I mean, I know that the visuals are celebrated, but from what everyone seems to be saying - this game's appeal comes from much more than simply visual treats.

In any case, personally, I don't mind a game that celebrates its pixel art, as long as it's also bringing a really fun game to the table. It's the game that matters, not simply the visuals (* I know you aren't saying it's simply the visuals for you) - and so if a game goes the 'pixel-art' style, I'm going to expect that it has an addictive game-play and clever story/writing, etc. All of those are more than enough for me to ignore the "graphics whore" side of me (AND, I use that label with love, as I'm also on some level a total graphics whore)...

For a lot of games, I want amazing graphics. For some rare games, it doesn't matter at all. And then some games truly fit best in the pixel art world and I wouldn't want them any other way. Graveyard Keeper, this game, Project Zomboid, Papers Please, Slime Rancher, Noita, Bomber Crew, Stardew Valley, The Escapists 2, Human Resource Machine... Stuff like that.

Back in the day when we Mario Brothers was new, I never liked it really - but I wasn't thinking "I would like this game more if it looked better" - I was thinking "I would like this game more if it had any actual depth and story behind it, and things to really do". I think it's that 'request' that the modern day "Retro Pixel Art" game is trying to answer, and I appreciate that (to some degree, none of these are my #1 type game).
Blackhawk

Post by Blackhawk »

Different people have different psychology, and different types of experiences appeal to those people.

I play for immersion as much as mechanics. While I'm playing, being in that place and experiencing through the perspective of 'being there' is a huge part of the appeal of gaming for me. It's why my #1 choice is still first-person for games, although I still play plenty of games with different perspectives. Pixel art can be absolutely beautiful, but when it's the core visuals of a game, one of the main draws of gaming for me is significantly reduced.

I'm not knocking pixel graphics, and I'm not knocking the game. There are a lot of games out there that are amazing to play, and are beautiful to look at that I don't play because they simply don't match my preferences. Am I missing out? Absolutely. But at the same time, there are hundreds of games out there that I've got lined up to play. Would I enjoy this one? Maybe. But selling a game today isn't just about the qualities of that game, it's the qualities of that game compared to those of whatever else I have my eye on. And it's very rare that pixel graphics are going to be my choice over something else.

That's not to say that I won't ever play pixel art games. When I do, though, it's a situation where the other appeals of the game are so spot-on for me that it's enough to overcome the lack of immersion. Octopath Traveler, for instance, is on my short list to play. I actually own Graveyard Keeper. And I'm occasionally tempted to play an SNES game for the memories.

FWIW, I'm not overly fond of side-perspective games, either. And you're not going to see me in the sports or racing games threads very often. There are some great games that fit into those categories that I will never play, but they just aren't what appeals to me. And in the end, it's like films or fiction. You try new things from time to time, but you primarily consume what most appeals to you. And the list of games that fit me better than this is pretty massively long.
Smoove_B

Post by Smoove_B »

This game is so good. The way they keep slowly adding in new mechanics or elements? It's just perfect. Also, highly, highly relaxing.
Carpet_pissr

Post by Carpet_pissr »

Smoove_B wrote: Tue Apr 02, 2024 9:53 pm This game is so good. The way they keep slowly adding in new mechanics or elements? It's just perfect. Also, highly, highly relaxing.
Did you finish?
Smoove_B

Post by Smoove_B »

Dear lord no. I think I've put like 15 hours in and I'm still in Chapter 3. Just enjoying things and not really pushing the story, though that might start to change as I'm seeing new things unlock as I advance along...
Carpet_pissr

Post by Carpet_pissr »

Smoove_B wrote: Wed Apr 03, 2024 11:12 pm Dear lord no. I think I've put like 15 hours in and I'm still in Chapter 3. Just enjoying things and not really pushing the story
Pretty sure that’s the way the game was intended to be consumed. I loved it.
Smoove_B

Post by Smoove_B »

:)

Every time I think about advancing the main story, there's something else going on - a festival, a side story, a visiting customer - that pulls my attention away.

It feels like the game play was expertly crafted by people that know how to "seed" your interest. When I first started playing I was like, "Ok, I'm a diver and big whoop, there's some fish."

Now I get. Again, it's just so awesome.
Scraper

Post by Scraper »

What kind of game is this? Is it an RPG, a SIM, an action game, or something else. I really don't like restaurant sim style games, so that part makes me think I won't like it, but the other parts of the game look interesting.
FTE
Smoove_B

Post by Smoove_B »

I'd agree with the "adventure and management" descriptors. There are RPG-like elements where you're improving your gear and also finding things that give you specific traits or bonuses underwater. The restaurant management element is as complicated or as simple as you want it to be. I'm not really into that part of it and I was nervous it was going to be a major portion of game play, but you can hire staff and they will automate the process.

Instead I think the core game loop is being able to dive longer (and deeper) and all the things associated with exploring that happen as you do.

There are so many "mini-games" that are embedded in the game play where finding [x] number of things gives you a reward or collecting [something] gives you access to another item or a special bonus. My point here is that I'm never wondering what I should be doing - there's always something cooking underwater for my man Dave.
Unagi

Post by Unagi »

Smoove_B wrote: Thu Apr 04, 2024 11:57 am I'd agree with the "adventure and management" descriptors. There are RPG-like elements where you're improving your gear and also finding things that give you specific traits or bonuses underwater. The restaurant management element is as complicated or as simple as you want it to be. I'm not really into that part of it and I was nervous it was going to be a major portion of game play, but you can hire staff and they will automate the process.

Instead I think the core game loop is being able to dive longer (and deeper) and all the things associated with exploring that happen as you do.

There are so many "mini-games" that are embedded in the game play where finding [x] number of things gives you a reward or collecting [something] gives you access to another item or a special bonus. My point here is that I'm never wondering what I should be doing - there's always something cooking underwater for my man Dave.

I've been sitting on this as well.

(But avoiding videos/spoilers, as I think I'm going to like it)

How much 'fight the super-shark boss' is it?
Smoove_B

Post by Smoove_B »

Unagi wrote: Thu Apr 04, 2024 1:41 pm How much 'fight the super-shark boss' is it?
There are boss fights, but I haven't had any problems yet. They're not particularly difficult and I'm sure I'm overpowered. The game telegraphs hints and offers ways to use behavior patterns to avoid damage, but even if you're terrible at that kind of thing, for me it hasn't been an issue.

The game is also pretty clear on when you're about to do something that will force your forward (like fighting a boss) in the story because usually you're entering a new area to do so. In those situations you can just opt to leave and come back later when you're in better shape.

I've had zero frustrating moments in the ~15 hours I've played, for reference.
Unagi

Post by Unagi »

Excellent. I'm certain to fire it up one of these days here soon.

Thanks!
infinitelurker

Post by infinitelurker »

I had a fantastic time with this game as well. I was actually a bit sad when I advanced the story and hit the credits not realizing I was that closed to “the end”. Although, you can keep playing past that point…
-something witty-
Carpet_pissr

Post by Carpet_pissr »

infinitelurker wrote: Thu Apr 04, 2024 3:07 pm I was actually a bit sad when I advanced the story and hit the credits not realizing I was that closed to “the end”.
Same. While I could feel the ending coming, it still kind of surprised me when the credits rolled.
Skinypupy

Post by Skinypupy »

For those with a Playstation, this just showed up on PS+ yesterday.

Maybe I'll give it another look.
When darkness veils the world, four Warriors of Light shall come.
msteelers

Post by msteelers »

I just bought this on switch a few weeks ago, but I would probably enjoy it more on the PlayStation. One day I’ll sign up for ps+.
Scraper

Post by Scraper »

I started this up yesterday. Somehow I've already put 6 hours into it. I find it oddly captivating. This is coming from someone who usually doesn't like Roguelites and cooking sims. We'll see how long I stay invested, but so far it's a game that is easy to lose time in.
FTE
Smoove_B

Post by Smoove_B »

Because of how slow I'm playing, new mechanics/things were just introduced for me after 18+ hours of game play. There is so much going on - not complicated, just things to do or experience in this game it's crazy.
msteelers

Post by msteelers »

It’s a fun game in short bursts. I really struggle to read the text in the menus. I thought at first it was the small screen of the switch, but it still happened when playing the game on our tv.

I refuse to believe I need glasses, so I’ll just blame the game instead.