OctoCon Returns!!! OctoCon XXVII, October 27-28, 2023 - Chicago

Everything else!

Moderators: Bakhtosh, EvilHomer3k

Zarathud

Re: OctoCon Returns!!! OctoCon XXVII, October 27-28, 2023 - Chicago

Post by Zarathud »

Thanks for the event, hentzau.
It was good to see so many people after so long, and especially Bad Demographic and Bob!

Games played:
Friday
Expeditions
After the Empire
maskmen (3-4 games) - Bob Wins!

Saturday
Nemisis - Aliens Win!
Watergate - Nixon Wins!
Earth
Jolly Inn (the meat-ening)
Mosaic - Story of Civilizations
"If the facts don't fit the theory, change the facts." - Albert Einstein
"I don't stand by anything." - Trump
“Bad men need nothing more to compass their ends, than that good men should look on and do nothing.” - John Stuart Mill, Inaugural Address Delivered to the University of St Andrews, 2/1/1867
“It is the impractical things in this tumultuous hell-scape of a world that matter most. A book, a name, chicken soup. They help us remember that, even in our darkest hour, life is still to be savored.” - Poe, Altered Carbon
LawBeefaroni
Forum Moderator

Post by LawBeefaroni »

Couldn't make it this weekend but glad (and somewhat whistful) to see it went well!
" Hey OP, listen to my advice alright." -Tha General
"No scientific discovery is named after its original discoverer." -Stigler's Law of Eponymy, discovered by Robert K. Merton

MYT
hentzau

Post by hentzau »

Glad we were able to get this up and running again. It was great catching up with everyone and getting some games on the table. As you may have been able to tell, I'm really leaning more to the minis skirmish games these days, but still had a great time with the boardgames I was able to get into.

Thanks to everyone that donated to the church and brought food and helped to clean up! Really appreciated it!

Spring is right around the corner (he says on the last day of October when we are getting our first snowfall of the season...)
“We can never allow Murania to become desecrated by the presence of surface people. Our lives are serene, our minds are superior, our accomplishments greater. Gene Autry must be captured!!!” - Queen Tika, The Phantom Empire
Fardaza

Post by Fardaza »

hentzau wrote: Tue Oct 31, 2023 5:08 pm Spring is right around the corner (he says on the last day of October when we are getting our first snowfall of the season...)
Does that mean you're organizing SpringtoCon?
Blackhawk

Post by Blackhawk »

Pick churs.
(˙pǝsɹǝʌǝɹ uǝǝq sɐɥ ʎʇıʌɐɹƃ ʃɐuosɹǝd ʎW)
hentzau

Post by hentzau »

I didn’t take many…I was too busy having fun. But here are a couple. Image
“We can never allow Murania to become desecrated by the presence of surface people. Our lives are serene, our minds are superior, our accomplishments greater. Gene Autry must be captured!!!” - Queen Tika, The Phantom Empire
hentzau

Post by hentzau »

Fardaza wrote:
hentzau wrote: Tue Oct 31, 2023 5:08 pm Spring is right around the corner (he says on the last day of October when we are getting our first snowfall of the season...)
Yep. Think April time frame.
Fardaza

Post by Fardaza »

hentzau wrote: Wed Nov 01, 2023 1:04 am
Fardaza wrote:
Really? I might be able to make a trip in April.
Fardaza

Post by Fardaza »

That humping camels game looks interesting in a perverse kind of way.
LawBeefaroni
Forum Moderator

Post by LawBeefaroni »

Fardaza wrote: Wed Nov 01, 2023 9:07 am That humping camels game looks interesting in a perverse kind of way.
Woah, Camel Up!

Its a great betting based game.
" Hey OP, listen to my advice alright." -Tha General
"No scientific discovery is named after its original discoverer." -Stigler's Law of Eponymy, discovered by Robert K. Merton

MYT
Madmarcus

Post by Madmarcus »

hentzau wrote: Tue Oct 31, 2023 5:08 pm Glad we were able to get this up and running again. It was great catching up with everyone and getting some games on the table. As you may have been able to tell, I'm really leaning more to the minis skirmish games these days, but still had a great time with the boardgames I was able to get into.
12 hour drive to meet semi-strangers and play skirmish games and maybe boardgames? Tempting but man that's a long drive. Flights aren't too bad though if I could get to and from OctoCon via public transit.
Zarathud

Post by Zarathud »

I’m pretty sure someone could get you to a hotel nearby.
“Bad men need nothing more to compass their ends, than that good men should look on and do nothing.” - John Stuart Mill, Inaugural Address Delivered to the University of St Andrews, 2/1/1867
“It is the impractical things in this tumultuous hell-scape of a world that matter most. A book, a name, chicken soup. They help us remember that, even in our darkest hour, life is still to be savored.” - Poe, Altered Carbon
hentzau

Post by hentzau »

Madmarcus wrote: Wed Nov 01, 2023 10:43 am
hentzau wrote: Tue Oct 31, 2023 5:08 pm Glad we were able to get this up and running again. It was great catching up with everyone and getting some games on the table. As you may have been able to tell, I'm really leaning more to the minis skirmish games these days, but still had a great time with the boardgames I was able to get into.
12 hour drive to meet semi-strangers and play skirmish games and maybe boardgames? Tempting but man that's a long drive. Flights aren't too bad though if I could get to and from OctoCon via public transit.
The location of OctoCon is on the NW side of Chicago, about 15-20 minutes from O'Hare. So Uber is definitely an option. There are hotels right off of the Blue Line train, so that could work.

You could do public transportation, but it would be a couple of bus transfers. But as Zarathud said, I'm sure you could find rides from other folks.
Madmarcus

Post by Madmarcus »

You guys are making it seem viable. We'll see next year.
LordMortis

Post by LordMortis »

hentzau wrote: Wed Nov 01, 2023 11:04 am
Madmarcus wrote: Wed Nov 01, 2023 10:43 am
The location of OctoCon is on the NW side of Chicago, about 15-20 minutes from O'Hare. So Uber is definitely an option. There are hotels right off of the Blue Line train, so that could work.

You could do public transportation, but it would be a couple of bus transfers. But as Zarathud said, I'm sure you could find rides from other folks.

If you're just gaming, the Motel 6 halfway between the Airport and church was fine and inexpensive (in the before times). That's where I've always stayed. Others have stayed there as well, so maybe even commuting to/fro the hotel could be arranged if others are staying there.
Isgrimnur

Post by Isgrimnur »

Fardaza wrote:
Is there a timeframe in April that is 'Thud-approved?
It's almost as if people are the problem.
hentzau

Post by hentzau »

Isgrimnur wrote:
Fardaza wrote:
Is there a timeframe in April that is 'Thud-approved?
Um. What?
Zarathud

Post by Zarathud »

Hentzau knows I’ve rescheduled wedding anniversaries to make Octocon. After 4/15 is easier, but most people are extending lately anyway.
hentzau

Post by hentzau »

Zarathud wrote:Hentzau knows I’ve rescheduled wedding anniversaries to make Octocon. After 4/15 is easier, but most people are extending lately anyway.
Right after I posted that I figured it out. Duh.
Blackhawk

Post by Blackhawk »

I have no idea if I can make it - I have been trying for a while, and there are a few OOers that I'd love to meet in person. But while I am sure I can get whatever date it is free, getting the money together is a big unknown.
(˙pǝsɹǝʌǝɹ uǝǝq sɐɥ ʎʇıʌɐɹƃ ʃɐuosɹǝd ʎW)
Isgrimnur

Post by Isgrimnur »

:coffee:
hentzau

Post by hentzau »

Isgrimnur wrote::coffee:
Yeah, I’ve been trying to find a hole in my schedule for the spring. My April is TERRIBLE.
Isgrimnur

Post by Isgrimnur »

May is also acceptable.
Zarathud

OctoCon Returns!!! OctoCon XXVII, October 27-28, 2023 - Chicago

Post by Zarathud »

Agreed. I present at a conference downstate Illinois in June. Just signed the papers and to get them written materials by April 15. I could use some fun between the crunch stress.
hepcat

Post by hepcat »

Zarathud wrote: Wed Feb 07, 2024 4:33 pm Agreed. I present at a conference downstate Illinois in June.
Sticking with the theme from last year, "Gotta Dance, Sing and Do My Extensive Estate Tax and Inheritance Planning!"?
He won. Period.
Zarathud

Post by Zarathud »

Even better — drafting documents to avoid disputes. Presenting with an attorney at a law firm who represents someone fighting documents I’ve prepared. There will be singing, dancing, and some shuffle stepping.
Isgrimnur

Post by Isgrimnur »

:coffee:
Zarathud

Post by Zarathud »

I can only say that we did run into Hentzau at Adepticon today.
hentzau

Post by hentzau »

Alright. Let me look at my calendar. I’ll see if I can get a date locked down by next week.
hentzau

Post by hentzau »

The only hole I have in my calendar is May 10-11, so if the church is free then, that’s when it’s going to happen. Pencil it in.