Prison Issues and Reform

For discussion of religion and politics

Moderators: LawBeefaroni, $iljanus

Isgrimnur

Prison Issues and Reform

Post by Isgrimnur »

Texas Recruits High School Kids To Be Corrections Officers
Hundreds of high schools across Texas offer classes to prepare students for careers in law enforcement, including corrections. This career-training program is the biggest of its kind in the country, enrolling almost 162,000 students in the school year that just ended.

Every year, more than 2,500 Texas teens take classes focused on working in prisons and jails, studying subjects that include how to restrain prisoners and administer first aid in a prison setting. The Texas Education Agency sets curriculum standards, though teachers can use additional material.
So the prison department has hired a recruiter to develop relationships with high school training programs, hoping to make it easy and attractive for graduates ages 18 and older to become corrections officers. The agency “is exploring the option of establishing a pipeline for high school” students to become employees, Director of Communications Amanda Hernandez wrote in an email.
It's almost as if people are the problem.
Smoove_B

Re: Prison Issues and Reform

Post by Smoove_B »

I know I shouldn't be surprised that the state of TX has high-school level programs to train more corrections officers, and yet I am.
Maybe next year, maybe no go
coopasonic

Post by coopasonic »

Smoove_B wrote: Sat Jul 15, 2023 12:11 pm I know I shouldn't be surprised that the state of TX has high-school level programs to train more corrections officers, and yet I am.
Hey Texas isn't rated the worst state to live and work in by accident!
-Coop
Black Lives Matter
Dramatist

Post by Dramatist »

coopasonic wrote:
Smoove_B wrote: Sat Jul 15, 2023 12:11 pm I know I shouldn't be surprised that the state of TX has high-school level programs to train more corrections officers, and yet I am.
Hey Texas isn't rated the worst state to live and work in by accident!
We’re no. 1! We’re no. 1!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Now Playing
Marvel Puzzle Quest
stessier

Post by stessier »

I think this kind of belongs here - Illinois abolishes cash bail and will presumptively allow people on their own recognizance in most situations. This is a big step forward for more fair legal experiences regardless of income.

I require a reminder as to why raining arcane destruction is not an appropriate response to all of life's indignities. - Vaarsuvius
Global Steam Wishmaslist Tracking
Running____2014: 1300.55 miles____2015: 2036.13 miles____2016: 1012.75 miles____2017: 1105.82 miles____2018: 1318.91 miles__2019: 2000.00 miles
Unagi

Post by Unagi »

Yeah, I think it’s a positive change.
I understand the general ‘concern’, but I think it’s a correction that’s long overdue.
How much money you have should never be a part of justice, and that’s what the bail system is.

Dangerous criminals can still be held , pending their trial…. But the judge will need to pronounce that.