[Film] The Marvels

Everything else!

Moderators: Bakhtosh, EvilHomer3k

msteelers

Re: [Film] The Marvels

Post by msteelers »

I’m less excited for this one, but I think that’s mainly because there’s very little chance of us getting to see it in the theaters. It’s hard with a 3 year old at home.

I hope it’s good.
Carpet_pissr

Post by Carpet_pissr »

Blackhawk wrote: Tue Nov 07, 2023 7:12 pm Gah, I loved Ms Marvel, I liked Rambeau, and I like Captain Marvel much more than most people did. I'm dead broke this month, though, and probably next month (the new budget began this week.) :grund:

I could probably pull it off if I snuck off without the kids and saw it alone and skipped all drinks and snacks, but I'd feel horribly guilty about it. :think: No, I'd feel horribly guilty about it.

:think:
I also really like Captain Marvel, but Ms. Marvel not so much (admittedly didn’t finish it).
Punisher

Post by Punisher »

Blackhawk wrote: Tue Nov 07, 2023 7:12 pm Gah, I loved Ms Marvel, I liked Rambeau, and I like Captain Marvel much more than most people did. I'm dead broke this month, though, and probably next month (the new budget began this week.) :grund:

I could probably pull it off if I snuck off without the kids and saw it alone and skipped all drinks and snacks, but I'd feel horribly guilty about it. :think: No, I'd feel horribly guilty about it.

:think:
I heard its definitely not a family friendly movie...but i could be wrong...
You should see it yourself to make sure its safe...
All yourLightning Bolts are Belong to Us
Blackhawk

Post by Blackhawk »

Yes. I'd hate for my adult offspring to see a violence!
(˙pǝsɹǝʌǝɹ uǝǝq sɐɥ ʎʇıʌɐɹƃ ʃɐuosɹǝd ʎW)
Punisher

Post by Punisher »

Blackhawk wrote: Wed Nov 08, 2023 10:26 pm Yes. I'd hate for my adult offspring to see a violence!
You can never be too careful.
Judt remember. You are doing it for the children!
Carpet_pissr

Post by Carpet_pissr »

Blackhawk wrote: Wed Nov 08, 2023 10:26 pm Yes. I'd hate for my adult offspring to see a violence!
Violence is totes ok, it’s teh boobies that corrupt the young minds.
Victoria Raverna

Post by Victoria Raverna »

Watched it with my daughter. I think this is one of the best MCU movies. Better than the Captain Marvel movie.
Carpet_pissr

Post by Carpet_pissr »

Victoria Raverna wrote: Fri Nov 10, 2023 4:54 am Watched it with my daughter. I think this is one of the best MCU movies. Better than the Captain Marvel movie.
Oh my, now I'm getting excited, though I'm feeling a bit of Marvel burnout like some others here.

OTOH we just watched the last Guardians of the Galaxy, and I felt nothing but enjoyment. Certainly didn't break any molds, and I enjoyed it nonetheless. I think it's mostly due to the fact that I am a huge fan of Chris Pratt, even though he didn't seem to be QUITE as front and center in this one compared to the previous.

Very much MOTS, and very much enjoyable.

Looking forward to The Marvels.
EvilHomer3k
Forum Moderator

Post by EvilHomer3k »

AWS260 wrote: Tue Nov 07, 2023 7:18 pm "Remember the Avengers? You loved those guys! This is going to be like the Avengers, we promise!" Comes across a little thirsty.
Yeah, seems like they're trying pretty hard with the Tony Stark and Captain America nostalgia.

I'll see this when it's on Disney+. Though that's pretty much when I see all movies now (when they come to a streaming service).
That sound of the spoon scraping over the can ribbing as you corral the last ravioli or two is the signal that a great treat is coming. It's the washboard solo in God's own
bluegrass band of comfort food. - LawBeefaroni
Victoria Raverna

Carpet_pissr wrote: Fri Nov 10, 2023 4:24 pm
Victoria Raverna wrote: Fri Nov 10, 2023 4:54 am Watched it with my daughter. I think this is one of the best MCU movies. Better than the Captain Marvel movie.
Oh my, now I'm getting excited, though I'm feeling a bit of Marvel burnout like some others here.

OTOH we just watched the last Guardians of the Galaxy, and I felt nothing but enjoyment. Certainly didn't break any molds, and I enjoyed it nonetheless. I think it's mostly due to the fact that I am a huge fan of Chris Pratt, even though he didn't seem to be QUITE as front and center in this one compared to the previous.

I think you'll like the movie. It has the GotG 3's feel to it. While it has a serious threat, it doesn't take itself too seriously just like GotG 3.
Carpet_pissr

Post by Carpet_pissr »

Victoria Raverna wrote: Fri Nov 10, 2023 6:48 pm
Carpet_pissr wrote: Fri Nov 10, 2023 4:24 pm

I think you'll like the movie. It has the GotG 3's feel to it. While it has a serious threat, it doesn't take itself too seriously just like GotG 3.
That may in fact be why I still enjoy the Guardians movies, but burnout with the Very Serious (!) more recent Marvel stuff, which IMO did very much take themselves too seriously. The last Blank Panther one, for one, but also Shang Chi, and even the last (couple?) Ant-Man movies (also huge fan of Paul Rudd) seemed to lose a lot of the levity of the first films, which made them great IMO. Could also just be the burnout talking.
AWS260

Post by AWS260 »

Not really related to the movie, but I enjoyed
this article
about the rebirth of Carol Danvers in the comics circa 1992. It was interesting to hear the writer and editor at the time talk reflect on how they made it happen.
Punisher

Post by Punisher »

Just saw it and liked it a lot.
My wife liked it as well although she isn't a fan of Captain Marvel in general.
It was definitely a fun movie.
Stick around for the first during credit scene. I think it's important for the future.
disarm

Post by disarm »

Just saw it with my 9yo son and we both really enjoyed it. I do think some of the attempted emotional moments fall flat, but the rest is a fun movie with some good action. Kamala Khan definitely steals the show.

One problem though with Kamala and her powers though...
Spoiler:
Near the end, the big bad has both bangles, but Kamala was still able to use her powers. I thought it was pretty well established in the Ms Marvel show that she is powerless when she's not wearing her magic wristband. It's been a while since I watched the show, but both my son and I thought this was a big mistake.
Victoria Raverna

disarm wrote: Sun Nov 12, 2023 6:32 pm Just saw it with my 9yo son and we both really enjoyed it. I do think some of the attempted emotional moments fall flat, but the rest is a fun movie with some good action. Kamala Khan definitely steals the show.

One problem though with Kamala and her powers though...
Spoiler:
Near the end, the big bad has both bangles, but Kamala was still able to use her powers. I thought it was pretty well established in the Ms Marvel show that she is powerless when she's not wearing her magic wristband. It's been a while since I watched the show, but both my son and I thought this was a big mistake.
Spoiler:
I think in Ms. Marvel series, the bangle unlocked her innate mutant ability. She doesn't need the bangle.

As you can see in the movie, the bad guy only can use the power she got from the bangles, if she is wearing them but it didn't let her do what Ms. Marvel can do.
AWS260

Post by AWS260 »

disarm wrote: Sun Nov 12, 2023 6:32 pm One problem though with Kamala and her powers though...
Spoiler:
On the show, they establish that
Spoiler:
the bangle unlocked her power, but her power is inherent to her because she's [90s X-men guitar sting] a mutant.
I really enjoyed this, too. Just a very fun movie. The high points for me were probably Iman Vellani's irresistible sincerity and that one scene about escaping (if you've seen the movie, you know the one).
Baroquen

Post by Baroquen »

I saw it today with the family. I liked it overall, but I like these characters so that wasn't surprising. I thought it was very disjointed in tone, pacing and storytelling. I suspect that the reported reshoots may have been aimed at less characters more action. Or they were necessitated by the Captain Marvel/Secret Invasion disconnect? (The release date shuffle between these two tales...)

Anyway, I especially enjoyed the ending and the credit scene. Both were interesting.
Spoiler:
I thought the Binary introduction was a really 'deep cut' for Marvel, but I didn't realize that the character had been used in Captain Marvel more recently. I found that out in this primer/article.

And while I think a big part of the MCU's current problem is taking all of the "big players" off the board, I do like a lot of the Young Avengers characters/actors. So I'm intrigued with that too.
JCC

Post by JCC »

It apparently bombed over the weekend. It only got $47 million. This is the worst opening weekend for any MCU movie.

There is a notable trend on movie theaters in the US. (They are going away!) In 2019 there were 5500 movie theaters in the US. Today there are 3000. The movie theater is ailing and my one day be very niche.

Like many, I am more than happy to wait for it on D+. My OLED is smaller but has a much better picture than a movie theater. My soundbar system sounds much better to me than the overly booming sound systems in theaters.
Black Lives Matter

"You know, the very powerful and the very stupid have one thing in common: they don't alter their views to fit the facts; they alter the facts to fit their views." - The 4th Doctor
hepcat

Post by hepcat »

I think we're at peak superhero movie burn out. It may be time to let this particular film genre die and be replaced by something a bit more original. At the very least, restrict it to TV for a while and then come back with properties that you've built up there first.
He won. Period.
Unagi

Post by Unagi »

AWS260 wrote: Sun Nov 12, 2023 7:48 pm
disarm wrote: Sun Nov 12, 2023 6:32 pm One problem though with Kamala and her powers though...
Spoiler:
Spoiler:
the bangle unlocked her power, but her power is inherent to her because she's [90s X-men guitar sting] a mutant.
Enlarge Image
rittchard

Post by rittchard »

I thought it was a bit rushed and kind of all over the place in terms of tone and story, but overall I enjoyed it, particularly just to see the three main characters. Similarly to some of you, I also enjoyed the TV Ms Marvel series and I was also a fan of Captain Rambeau in the comics, so it would take a lot to make me unhappy. I hate that the buzz is so heavy for it being “the worst opening ever for MCU” because it seems like the movie is getting pretty good word of mouth. I’m hoping maybe it can hold a bit better going into Thanksgiving, but it’s also facing tough competition from the Hunger Games movie. I suspect this movie is more appealing toward younger girls/women so that would be the same viewer base.

I really enjoyed Kamala and the actress is such a joy to watch, you can just feel her enthusiasm in every scene. But I can also see her being less of a draw, and that the movie may be a bit odd if you hadn’t watched the show. I was surprised to see how much screen time her family got, which is in line with the TV show but not really with other Marvel movies.

The weakest part of the movie was the villainess. She actually had a very interesting back story, but her scenes felt really out of tune to me. A few moments, you can really empathize with her, but the rest she’s just a crazy cackling villain with no personality.
Spoiler:
Enjoyed both surprises at the end. First official beginning of Young Avengers and first official appearance of X-Men character.

Latest rumor is that Deadpool 3 will send off original X-Men characters and Secret Wars would feature the First Class versions, and finally brand new cast would come after that. Presuming MCU lasts that long lol.
Blackhawk

Post by Blackhawk »

Unfortunately, it's falling completely flat at the box office - The Marvels: Superhero movie bombs with lowest MCU box office debut.

Between this and crap with Jonathan Majors (Kang), who goes on trial in a couple of weeks, I wouldn't be surprised to see Marvel take one baby step and two giant steps backwards and reevaluate. James Gunn is probably getting a little nervous about his DC plans with Warner, too.

As someone who isn't suffering from superhero fatigue, that's disappointing (especially since it will likely have repercussions for other companies' offerings.) And it could lead to a point at which superheroes are considered a 'bad risk' again for period of years.

But let's be honest - Marvel lost their way after Endgame. They fell victim to power creep (every situation has to be bigger than the previous one, the stakes always have to be higher), and it shows. They lost the relatable scenarios (Iron Man fought terrorists and addressed militarization, Cap fought Nazis (ish) in Europe, Thor was powerless for 80% of the movie and living in New Mexico fighting with his ego. Avengers was a tough guy attacking New York. Now everything is intergalactic, planetary, planetary, intergalactic (or quantum), and enemies are abstract reality-bending entities. They lost the character-driven 'wow' that established them in Phase 1, and replaced it with more and more action segments.

So at this point, even if Marvel puts out a great film, a lot of people are simply going to skip it. Some from fatigue, some as a result of previous disappointments, and some because they simply can't connect with it anymore.
Punisher

Post by Punisher »

Unagi wrote: Mon Nov 13, 2023 2:17 pm
AWS260 wrote: Sun Nov 12, 2023 7:48 pm
Spoiler:
Spoiler:
Enlarge Image
I know that she isn't but this would be even greater if she was an Egyptian...
hepcat

Post by hepcat »

Blackhawk wrote: Mon Nov 13, 2023 3:40 pm Unfortunately, it's falling completely flat at the box office - The Marvels: Superhero movie bombs with lowest MCU box office debut.
Perhaps if she smiled more it would have made more money.
He won. Period.
wonderpug

Post by wonderpug »

JCC wrote: Mon Nov 13, 2023 1:21 pm It apparently bombed over the weekend. It only got $47 million. This is the worst opening weekend for any MCU movie.
Anecdotally, I saw it opening Thursday night, at the popular 7pm showing, on the best screen at one of the two best theaters in the city, and the seats were only maybe 70% filled at most. Probably closer to 60%.
hepcat

Post by hepcat »

Have theaters ever really recovered from Covid? I’m wondering if that’s a big part of the problem. I know I used to see at least a movie a month in a theater (I love theater popcorn, what can I say). But since Covid, it’s odd for me if I see one every year.
He won. Period.
hentzau

Post by hentzau »

hepcat wrote:Have theaters ever really recovered from Covid? I’m wondering if that’s a big part of the problem. I know I used to see at least a movie a month in a theater (I love theater popcorn, what can I say). But since Covid, it’s odd for me if I see one every year.
This is a big part of it, I think.
“We can never allow Murania to become desecrated by the presence of surface people. Our lives are serene, our minds are superior, our accomplishments greater. Gene Autry must be captured!!!” - Queen Tika, The Phantom Empire
Blackhawk

Post by Blackhawk »

I'm not even sure that 'recovered' is the right word. Adapted may be more accurate. It's just as likely that the audience, over the course of three years, developed different habits. The theaters may never recover to what they were (or it may take years/decades.)
Scraper

Post by Scraper »

hepcat wrote: Tue Nov 14, 2023 11:02 pm Have theaters ever really recovered from Covid? I’m wondering if that’s a big part of the problem. I know I used to see at least a movie a month in a theater (I love theater popcorn, what can I say). But since Covid, it’s odd for me if I see one every year.
For me it's more about knowing that this movie will be on Disney+ within 6 months and I have a better than average home theater setup to watch it with. The last Marvel movie I saw in the theater was Wakanda Forever and that was only because I was out of town and had nothing else to do. Prior to Wakanda I think it was Far From Home and I watched it in the theater for the same reason.
FTE
Apollo

Post by Apollo »

hepcat wrote: Mon Nov 13, 2023 1:45 pm I think we're at peak superhero movie burn out. It may be time to let this particular film genre die and be replaced by something a bit more original. At the very least, restrict it to TV for a while and then come back with properties that you've built up there first.
I agree 100%. I haven't been to the theater to see an MCU movie since Endgame and I have no regrets. Time for Disney to wind this up and take a break from superhero movies for at least a few years, IMHO.
Blackhawk

Post by Blackhawk »

Or better yet (at least for those of us who still like superhero movies), take a change of direction. Maybe launch a 'phase' of X-Men movies with no obvious MCU ties, then close out that first phase with a post-credits 'visit' from Doctor Strange. It would let them work around the MCU fatigue, let them soft-reboot the universe, and let them ground things just a bit.

Although I wouldn't hate it if they just worked on Spider-Man for a bit. He's about to graduate. Comics Peter Parker was a teacher for a while. Follow that thread rather than trying to do a whole interconnected phase, and then bring the 'MCU' aspect back in later. It would be nice to see an adult Peter Parker for a change - provided that Tom Holland is actually game.
Last edited by Blackhawk on Wed Nov 15, 2023 11:34 am, edited 1 time in total.
JCC

Post by JCC »

I am guessing they will see what happens with its D+ release. If Disney isn't already measuring a movie's success by both box office and D+ views, then they are morons.

I do believe Marvel fatigue is a very real thing, but I just don't have ANY interest in going to a theater anymore to see a film, regardless of how excited I am for it.
Black Lives Matter

"You know, the very powerful and the very stupid have one thing in common: they don't alter their views to fit the facts; they alter the facts to fit their views." - The 4th Doctor
hepcat

Post by hepcat »

I just want something...new. Maybe I'm just burned out on the heroes and stories they've been focusing on for over a decade, and not superhero films in general. I certainly enjoy The Boys and Invincible. They tend to cycle in new heroes and villains regularly, and tell stories that aren't predictable.

Right now I view Marvel and DC movies the same way I view Transformers movies: I feel like they're kids' movies made by a marketing team to sell toys and other merch.
He won. Period.
Blackhawk

Post by Blackhawk »

Ah, screw it - starting a new thread.
Punisher

Post by Punisher »

hentzau

Post by hentzau »

My wife and I saw this last night. I really, really liked this movie. Absolute favorite MCU movie post Endgame.

Only about 15 people in the theater.
“We can never allow Murania to become desecrated by the presence of surface people. Our lives are serene, our minds are superior, our accomplishments greater. Gene Autry must be captured!!!” - Queen Tika, The Phantom Empire
Blackhawk

Post by Blackhawk »

I'm still looking for a good day to sneak off and see it (actually, I told the kids that I might start going to the occasional movie on the one day a week I claim as 'mine', so there's no guilt.) Last week was too busy, and this week is jam-packed with holidays. I don't have any holiday plans, but I do prefer to avoid that part of town during the post-Thanksgiving weekend, as the theater is surrounded by popular stores and next door to the mall.

Hopefully it'll still be around one day next week.

It'll be weird, though. I don't think I've seen a movie in the theater alone in... wow, probably since the 80s. I'd prefer company, but it might be a good way to add a relatively cheap (matinee, no snacks) change of pace to my life.
Jaymon

Post by Jaymon »

I saw this. enjoyed the crap out of it. laughs, cries, explosions, cats, this movie had everything.

I will buy it on disc, so when my disney subscription eventually lapses I can still watch it again.
Bunnies like beer because its made from hops.
ImLawBoy
Forum Admin

Post by ImLawBoy »

My wife and daughter had a girls' day at the mall with my wife's friend, so I took the boys to the theater on Wednesday. It was my first theater experience since the Before Times, and it was my youngest son's first theater experience period. It's also my first Marvel movie since Endgame, although I've seen the shows up to Loki (Season 1). I had trouble keeping up, so I kind of quit on it.

Anyway, we had a good time. I missed some critical scene toward the end due to a kid needing an emergency bathroom run (claimed he was going to throw up, but really just needed to pee really bad), but I think I got the gist of it. I had enjoyed Captain Marvel, so I was hoping this would be solid. I was not disappointed.
That's my purse! I don't know you!
Blackhawk

Post by Blackhawk »

I'm planning on seeing it (by myself, sorry kids) on Wednesday. It's the final day it'll be showing, so hopefully nothing gets in the way.