What can you tell me about CRUISES?

Everything else!

Moderators: Bakhtosh, EvilHomer3k

Jeff V

Re: What can you tell me about CRUISES?

Post by Jeff V »

dfs wrote: Thu Apr 06, 2023 3:07 pm Seriously don't play homework police. Not good for you and not good for your kids.
My kids are probably okay with this. Unless there are things for them to do that they absolutely love, they will keep up with the school work because they are awesome at doing that. The other kids in the group won't exercise much peer pressure, a girl my son's age (who he won't have anything to do with because...cooties), a girl several years younger than my daughter (who my daughter will indulge if necessary) and a baby boy.

We'll learn more about how to handle the kids during their month-long trip to the Philippines this summer.
Black Lives Matter
gilraen

Post by gilraen »

Jeff V wrote: Sat Apr 08, 2023 12:52 am
Brian wrote: Thu Apr 06, 2023 4:45 pm Skip the drinks package unless you are a borderline alcoholic.
You know me too well. This is probably why my wife would nix such a thing.
Carnival won't sell you a drink package unless ALL adults in a cabin get a drink package. So it would be a non-starter for you and your wife anyway, you'd have to get packages for both of you.
Jeff V

Post by Jeff V »

gilraen wrote: Sat Apr 08, 2023 1:30 am Carnival won't sell you a drink package unless ALL adults in a cabin get a drink package. So it would be a non-starter for you and your wife anyway, you'd have to get packages for both of you.
Yep, I learned that the other day from their FB group.

Can I bring a big-ass bottle of tequila on board from the stop in Mexico?
Black Lives Matter
gilraen

Post by gilraen »

Jeff V wrote: Sat Apr 08, 2023 1:34 am
gilraen wrote: Sat Apr 08, 2023 1:30 am Carnival won't sell you a drink package unless ALL adults in a cabin get a drink package. So it would be a non-starter for you and your wife anyway, you'd have to get packages for both of you.

No, if you buy alcohol in port, you'll have to turn it in for safekeeping, and the ship will return it to you when the cruise is over.
Kurth

Post by Kurth »

Jeff V wrote: Sat Apr 08, 2023 12:52 am
Brian wrote: Thu Apr 06, 2023 4:45 pm Skip the drinks package unless you are a borderline alcoholic.
You know me too well. This is probably why my wife would nix such a thing.
I'd at least explore the drinks package on your specific cruise. Lots of cruises give those away as a perk (or a heavily subsidized upcharge). If you're a drinker - not necessarily a borderline alcoholic, but let's be flexible there - you should look into it.

One thing about cruises that I love is not having to worry about stuff, including what I'm paying for drinks (both alcoholic and non-alcoholic). And trust me, the prices you'll get charged on a cruise if you don't have the drink package tend to be absurd. Also, the drink package often includes more than just alcoholic drinks - the one we just bought on our NCL cruise included soda, bottled water and Starbucks. Even without my post-run bloody marys every morning, I think our daughter came close to paying for the drink package just with her Starbucks usage.

Anyway, might not make sense for you. Definitely one of those things that depends on your particular preference and situation. But I'd look into it nonetheless.
Just 'cause you feel it, doesn't mean it's there -- Radiohead
Do you believe me? Do you trust me? Do you like me? 😳
Kurth

Post by Kurth »

Jeff V wrote: Sat Apr 08, 2023 1:34 am

Just reading this. Maybe I missed that your wife is a non-drinker. In that case, the drinks package may not work for you. If you like wine/beer, most cruise lines will let you bring a limited amount of wine and beer onboard when you embark. That may be something to look into. I don't think any cruise lines let you bring in hard liquor, though, so no tequila.
Just 'cause you feel it, doesn't mean it's there -- Radiohead
Do you believe me? Do you trust me? Do you like me? 😳
gbasden

Post by gbasden »

noxiousdog wrote: Thu Apr 06, 2023 10:51 am Grand Cayman is great for snorkeling. There's a place called Sunset House that you can go and have a pretty good experience right off the beach. They have a bar and changing rooms too. That's almost always our go-to place. Give them a call or email to get the particulars. Can scuba right off the dock too though it's a weird experience since it's so shallow. One tank lasts an hour.

Cozumel is really fun. With kids, I'd go to either chankanaab or Mr Sancho's. The former is a state park with swimming, dolphin shows, and (very small) Mayan ruins. Mr Sancho's is an all inclusive beach day. I've not seen it too rowdy until later in the day. In both cases, don't book through the ship. Just get a taxi. They are super common and it's highly regulated.

Jamaica (especially ocho Rios) is my least favorite port and I'd be very nervous with kids. While all ports have people begging for your business, Jamaica has been the most aggressive, bordering on threatening. My recommendation is stay on the ship and enjoy empty pools and water slides.
I heartily endorse everything ND said. The snorkeling in Grand Cayman is fantastic. Cozumel was one of my favorite stops. We've been there three times - once we did a trip around the island by getting a taxi at the end of the pier and it was excellent. It cost us about $120 with a tip and we got a 4 hour tour with Mayan ruins, beach and a visit to a tequila distillery. The second time we chartered a small plane and flew to Chichen Itza, which was spectacular. The third time we went to Chankanaab and had a relaxing beach day. Ocho Rios is an unsafe pit with extremely aggressive locals selling everything, legal and not legal. Staying on board the ship or taking a reliable tour that goes far away from the port would be my recommendation.
gbasden

Post by gbasden »

Skinypupy wrote: Thu Apr 06, 2023 8:42 pm I’ve done 5 cruises, but they’ve all just been big floating metal festivals so they don’t really count. I can’t even remember where we did port because we only got off the boat for an hour to walk around, then went back and caught some sleep because we’d been at concerts until 5am. I do know that the only time I spent in my room was to sleep and when I was so hungover I couldn’t move. 😂

We have booked the whole family on a 7-day Western Caribbean cruise in June with Royal Caribbean. My wife and sis-in-law were in charge of most of the planning, I just paid for it. They were all about the destinations, which are a couple places in Mexico, Belize, and somewhere else. We apparently have excursions booked for most of them. All of which is good because we realized after the fact that we’re on the smallest ship in the RC fleet. It doesn’t have any of the cool stuff like water slides, rock walls, mini-golf, etc. I worry that the 7 kids between 9-17 (3 mine, 4 brothers) are going to be bored as hell on the boat.

I’m excited, but holy shit it’s expensive. We’re only doing it because we got some money from mom when she passed. I’d never be able to afford it otherwise.
I think I did that two years ago. Mayahuel, Cozumel, Belize City and Roatan, Honduras? If you want any recommendations for excursions let me know!
em2nought

Post by em2nought »

No way I'm locking myself in a room with other people's children and no female (whatever that is :doh:) adult present.

Mayan ruins sound good though.
"Four more years!" "Pause." LMAO
Jeff V

Post by Jeff V »

So tomorrow we fly to Miami, boat sails on Sunday. Wedding is Monday (sea day), then we are going to Jamaica (blue hole/zipline purchased), Grand Cayman (swimming with stingrays), and Cozumel (Mayan ruins, Mayan lunch, snorkeling, and tequila tasting). I am ok with the excursions (since I was the one who selected them), but still am unclear how the ship time will be entertaining at all.

My wife's friends all punted on the cruise, so I won't be dealing with their kids (although others I don't know might try sticking me with some). My kids teachers were supposed to send home worksheets for them -- they did not. So I had spend more money getting the top internet package (for 6 days, it's roughly what I spend in a year). Everyone says the food is wonderful, but here's the kick -- I had my bottom teeth removed a few weeks ago and after an optimistic prognosis of being fine in 2 weeks, the revised estimate for eating solid food is now Xmas. At the behest of the bride, we booked a steakhouse dinner (extra charge), but I'll likely only be able to manage soup and mashed potatoes.

I'll optimistically rate the chances of this trip turning me into a cruise person to be non-zero, but only just. Perhaps there will be enough things I wish I could partake that I'd be willing to give a second chance.

And Brian, while I did offer to pack my "formal" birthday suit for the wedding, I was informed it wasn't "that kind of cruise."
Black Lives Matter
Carpet_pissr

Post by Carpet_pissr »

Jeff V wrote: Fri Dec 01, 2023 11:19 pm still am unclear how the ship time will be entertaining at all......

.... I did offer to pack my "formal" birthday suit for the wedding, I was informed it wasn't "that kind of cruise."
And lo, did he answereth his owneth question. Go forth, and make it so.

(also, booze and gambling)
em2nought

Post by em2nought »

Jeff V wrote: Fri Dec 01, 2023 11:19 pm but here's the kick -- I had my bottom teeth removed a few weeks ago, and I'll likely only be able to manage soup and mashed potatoes.

I'll optimistically rate the chances of this trip turning me into a cruise person to be non-zero, but only just. Perhaps there will be enough things I wish I could partake that I'd be willing to give a second chance.

And Brian, while I did offer to pack my "formal" birthday suit for the wedding, I was informed it wasn't "that kind of cruise."
This trip sounds worse than actually being in the USN. :lol:
"Four more years!" "Pause." LMAO
Kraken

Post by Kraken »

em2nought wrote: Sat Dec 02, 2023 3:30 am
Jeff V wrote: Fri Dec 01, 2023 11:19 pm but here's the kick -- I had my bottom teeth removed a few weeks ago, and I'll likely only be able to manage soup and mashed potatoes.

This trip sounds worse than actually being in the USN. :lol:
I hope it sucks enough that Jeff won't be disappointed.
msteelers

Post by msteelers »

I went on a cruise in high school and didn’t really care for it. I was too old for the kids entertainment and too young to enjoy the drinking and gambling and eating. My wife and I have gone on multiple cruises though and have really enjoyed each one.

Actually, this week my wife booked a cruise for us to celebrate a friend’s birthday. This would be the first cruise my daughter goes on, so that will be interesting.

The kicker though is that I’m unlikely to go. I started a new job in October and just took a week and a half’s worth of vacation over Thanksgiving. I’m having some serious reservations over requesting ANOTHER week off so soon.
Fardaza

Post by Fardaza »

My wife and I are getting on a 16-day cruise thru the Caribbean on the 19th. About half of that is on the ship and half is on the shore. Each of us gets what we like.

My teeth are intact, so I plan on enjoying the best part of a cruise! The food!

We'll also take several boardgames with us and meet new people that way. "What game is that?" "Oh, would you like to join us? It's lotso fun!"
msteelers

Post by msteelers »

We did a 7 day cruise for our honeymoon. I don’t think I could survive access to all that food for 16 days and survive. I would eat myself to death.

For me, I enjoy days on the boat more than I do excursions. At least when it was just us adults. Having to entertain a kid during this might be a different situation.
pr0ner

Post by pr0ner »

Staying entertained on sea days on a cruise is easy. Get drink package, sit somewhere, have people bring you drinks.
Hodor.
gbasden

Post by gbasden »

Fardaza wrote: Sat Dec 02, 2023 11:21 am

We'll also take several boardgames with us and meet new people that way. "What game is that?" "Oh, would you like to join us? It's lotso fun!"
Or go on a cruise as part of a board game group! It makes sea days super fun.
Fardaza

Post by Fardaza »

gbasden wrote: Tue Dec 05, 2023 2:07 am

I'd love to go on a BGG cruise! The one you linked to is going to Alaska. My wife doesn't want to go there again.
And I like to go outside when we're in port, so I might miss a lot of the gaming time.
But, I will consider it again in the future.
gbasden

Post by gbasden »

Fardaza wrote: Tue Dec 05, 2023 11:46 am
gbasden wrote: Tue Dec 05, 2023 2:07 am

I'd love to go on a BGG cruise! The one you linked to is going to Alaska. My wife doesn't want to go there again.
And I like to go outside when we're in port, so I might miss a lot of the gaming time.
But, I will consider it again in the future.
They do a lot. The fall cruise next year is up the east coast. We just did the transatlantic England - New York, and Spring of 2025 is another repositioning, but this time Tokyo - Vancouver! The repositionings are relatively cheap, and have a good sea day to port ratio for playing games.
Fardaza

Post by Fardaza »

Tokyo to Vancouver!? Wow, that's a different kind of cruise. That would definitely be a large sea day to port ratio. I'd probably have to go without my wife. She doesn't like the sea days very much. We try to compromise and find trips that are about 50-50.

When you say repositioning, do you mean that the cruise line is just moving the ship to a different world region for awhile?
gbasden

Post by gbasden »

Fardaza wrote: Tue Dec 05, 2023 7:49 pm Tokyo to Vancouver!? Wow, that's a different kind of cruise. That would definitely be a large sea day to port ratio. I'd probably have to go without my wife. She doesn't like the sea days very much. We try to compromise and find trips that are about 50-50.

When you say repositioning, do you mean that the cruise line is just moving the ship to a different world region for awhile?
Right. The one we just did the ship was cruising Europe and England during the summer, and moved to the Caribbean for the winter. I'm assuming the ship for the transpacific will have been doing SE Asia for the winter and is moving to Alaska for the summer. It's 4 stops in Japan, though, and we are going earlier to spend a week in Tokyo beforehand.
Kraken

Post by Kraken »

I didn't know that there are cruise ships that can navigate the open ocean. Most of them are too top-heavy to leave the continental shelf. Sometimes I'm sorry that I was born too late for the age of ocean liners.
gbasden

Post by gbasden »

Kraken wrote: Tue Dec 05, 2023 9:57 pm I didn't know that there are cruise ships that can navigate the open ocean. Most of them are too top-heavy to leave the continental shelf. Sometimes I'm sorry that I was born too late for the age of ocean liners.
I... don't believe this is true. The largest cruise ships in the world routinely go between the U.S. and Europe as the seasons change.

Also, you can absolutely still take an ocean liner. The Queen Mary 2 is the only remaining one in service, but it is still available!

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Queen_Mary_2
Brian

Post by Brian »

For our 2025 Norway cruise we almost booked a 21 day cruise that would have the ship departing London (Southampton), cruising Norway, then transiting the Atlantic with stops in Iceland and Newfoundland before arriving in New York. From there it would work its way south to service the Caribbean for the season.

So yeah, what they refer to as Repositioning Cruises happen all the time as they move ships around.

We ended up booking a shorter cruise that starts/stops in London due to the length of the repositioning cruise and the associated expense.
"Don't believe everything you read on the internet." - Abraham Lincoln
Jeff V

Re: What can you tell me about CRUISES?but

Post by Jeff V »

AAR on the cruise (late because both phone and laptop were destroyed on the cruise).

We generally had a good time, but none of us...me, wife, kids, feeling inclined to do it again. If we were into clubbing, maybe the time on the ship would have been more exciting. There was some really good food, but most was pedestrian. We paid extra for a kid's breakfast event where the whole dining room was served at the same time -- and all of the food was too cold to eat.

We had fun at each of the three ports (Ocho Rios Jamaica, Grand Cayman, and Cozumel) but everything was rushed. Wife was really upset she had no time to shop in Jamaica. My daughter got her first kiss (from a sting ray...liked it so much she kissed 5 more). They were much larger than those seen in aquariums -- about a 4 foot wingspan. They got frisky near the end of our swim, and as we headed toward the boat 4 at once surged out of the water and flopped over my (and my daughter, who I was carrying) head. Imagine 4 weighted blankets being tossed on top of you. Daughter was really freaked out by this aggressive behavior.

Wife wouldn't let me buy any, but the craft tequila tasting was amazing. I like good tequila, but nothing I've ever had in this country compares. As part of the lecture, I was informed that every mass-market tequila sold in the US is rushed to market by added sugars, making it harsh. The double-anejo craft tequila I tried was like drinking liquid vanilla.

Diving off the waterfalls in Blue Hole in Jamaica was a blast. My daughter wanted to do it again, but there was pressure from the group to hurry up and get back to the bus so we had time for lunch ( but not shopping). The zipline was fun (4 runs), but the river tubing was time consuming and not very eventful (except when the guide climbed a Jamaican apple tree (more like a red pear), tossed fruits down for everyone to try, then got into an argument with a guy who ostensibly owned the tree).

Snorkeling in Cozumel would have been more fun if the kids could have made it to the reef. I commend them though for doing better their first time than I did my first time (Shark's Cove, Oahu). The Mayan ruins on Cozumel were interesting, but we only had time for a brief tour of the park. Made me more interested in visiting Chichen Itza some day.

We all sort of agreed it would be better to just take a vacation to these places and spend time not being rushed to get back on a ship. But upon further review, Jamaica is too dangerous for an extended vacation (although it was our favorite of the three), Grand Cayman way too expensive, and the main attraction on Cozumel seemed to be the party beaches we did not partake. I thought the cruise gave us a good sampling of what to expect if we did spend more time in any location, but it was also very expensive. So I'm not sure it's something we're likely to do again.
Black Lives Matter
Scraper

Post by Scraper »

I'm leaving for a 4 night cruise to Cozumel on Friday. I can't wait. It's a guys only trip so we all got the drink package. It should be a blast. We get one night in Miami prior to the cruise as well, which should be interesting to say the least. last time we went to Miami together it was a Hangover Movie type situation where we all had a little too much fun and we literally lost one of our friends. He didn't show back up until around 10 am the next day.
FTE
Lassr

Re: What can you tell me about CRUISES?but

Post by Lassr »

Jeff V wrote: Tue Dec 19, 2023 8:42 pm
We had fun at each of the three ports (Ocho Rios Jamaica, Grand Cayman, and Cozumel) but everything was rushed.
This is why we plan to do all inclusive vacations in Mexican resorts next time. We loved the on shore excursions (Honduras, Belize, Costa Maya, Cozumel) but again, you are rushed to get back to the boat. And while on the boat with all the time in the world, wasn't much to do after you saw the comedians, and the shows, and I'm not a gambler so I didn't go in the casino (plus there was smoking)

Our cruise, the food was buffet style tasting food and even when we did the fine dining, it was nothing spectacular. All the buffets would open at 6 which is an hour after we normally like to eat and finding a table to dine was a chore.

So our one cruise will be our last most likely.
The only reason people get lost in thought is because it's unfamiliar territory.

Black Lives Matter