2023 Republican House Follies

For discussion of religion and politics

Moderators: LawBeefaroni, $iljanus

Smoove_B

Re: 2023 Republican House Follies

Post by Smoove_B »

El Guapo wrote: Tue Nov 14, 2023 10:41 pm Seems like the Senate will probably pass this?
The legislation now heads to the Senate, where it has support from both party leaders. Senate Majority Leader Chuck Schumer (D-N.Y.) on Tuesday said he will try to pass the continuing resolution quickly, highlighting the bipartisan desire to avert a shutdown ahead of next week’s Thanksgiving holiday.

“We would like to do it as soon as possible,” Schumer told reporters. “Both McConnell and I want to avoid a shutdown so getting this done obviously before Friday at midnight — we know the Senate has lots of arcane rules. But McConnell and I are going to work together, we talked about this yesterday, to get it done as quickly as possible.”
Maybe next year, maybe no go
Isgrimnur

Post by Isgrimnur »

Matt Gaetz calls for House Ethics investigation into Kevin McCarthy
Gaetz wrote a letter to House Ethics Chair Michael Guest (R-Fla.) and Ranking Member Susan Wild (D-Pa.) on Tuesday arguing that the altercation, which involved McCarthy allegedly elbowing Burchett in the back, "deserves immediate and swift investigation by the Ethics Committee."
It's almost as if people are the problem.
El Guapo

Post by El Guapo »

I guess I don't disagree exactly...but what's to be investigated? Are they going to debate whether it's ethical to shove someone in the back?
Black Lives Matter.
Zaxxon
Forum Moderator

Post by Zaxxon »

Matt Gaetz is suddenly interested in House standards of ethical conduct?
Zarathud

Post by Zarathud »

Matt Gaetz is a petty little bitch. They should have bounced him when they had a chance.
"If the facts don't fit the theory, change the facts." - Albert Einstein
"I don't stand by anything." - Trump
“Bad men need nothing more to compass their ends, than that good men should look on and do nothing.” - John Stuart Mill, Inaugural Address Delivered to the University of St Andrews, 2/1/1867
“It is the impractical things in this tumultuous hell-scape of a world that matter most. A book, a name, chicken soup. They help us remember that, even in our darkest hour, life is still to be savored.” - Poe, Altered Carbon
Blackhawk

Post by Blackhawk »

El Guapo wrote: Tue Nov 14, 2023 11:42 pm I guess I don't disagree exactly...but what's to be investigated? Are they going to debate whether it's ethical to shove someone in the back?
More to the point, unless they have cameras or solid witnesses, it's impossible to investigate. Did he actually elbow him, or did he bump him in a narrow hallway? Either is possible.
(˙pǝsɹǝʌǝɹ uǝǝq sɐɥ ʎʇıʌɐɹƃ ʃɐuosɹǝd ʎW)
LawBeefaroni
Forum Moderator

Post by LawBeefaroni »

News of the Burchett-McCarthy dust-up brought an interesting connection to light. When asked if he’d seen what happened between Burchett and McCarthy, Mullin told The Hill that he wouldn’t take the Tennessee congressman’s word for what happened and noted that he had kicked Burchett out of his long-established daily workout group last week.

Mullin, a longtime McCarthy ally, pointed to a “lack of character on his part” and said that he doesn’t “trust” Burchett.
https://thehill-com.cdn.ampproject.org/ ... -burchett/

Hmm,.let's see, 40/50 YO white guys stuck in high school and on steroids and ozempic...
" Hey OP, listen to my advice alright." -Tha General
"No scientific discovery is named after its original discoverer." -Stigler's Law of Eponymy, discovered by Robert K. Merton

MYT
El Guapo

Post by El Guapo »

Blackhawk wrote: Wed Nov 15, 2023 12:01 am
El Guapo wrote: Tue Nov 14, 2023 11:42 pm I guess I don't disagree exactly...but what's to be investigated? Are they going to debate whether it's ethical to shove someone in the back?
More to the point, unless they have cameras or solid witnesses, it's impossible to investigate. Did he actually elbow him, or did he bump him in a narrow hallway? Either is possible.
Well, the NPR reporter tweeted that she saw it and she reported it as a shove, so I think there is a solid witness.
Black Lives Matter.
Kraken

Post by Kraken »

Smoove_B wrote: Tue Nov 14, 2023 10:49 pm
El Guapo wrote: Tue Nov 14, 2023 10:41 pm Seems like the Senate will probably pass this?
The legislation now heads to the Senate, where it has support from both party leaders. Senate Majority Leader Chuck Schumer (D-N.Y.) on Tuesday said he will try to pass the continuing resolution quickly, highlighting the bipartisan desire to avert a shutdown ahead of next week’s Thanksgiving holiday.

“We would like to do it as soon as possible,” Schumer told reporters. “Both McConnell and I want to avoid a shutdown so getting this done obviously before Friday at midnight — we know the Senate has lots of arcane rules. But McConnell and I are going to work together, we talked about this yesterday, to get it done as quickly as possible.”
The bifurcated deadlines are a bit weird but this is the clean CR that everyone except the anarchists wanted. They won't remove Johnson for cooperating with Democrats because that worked out so well for them last time, but they're going to expect their pound of flesh as the hard work of passing actual budgets begins.
Isgrimnur

Post by Isgrimnur »

Johnson described the House being in session for 10 consecutive weeks as "a pressure cooker."
Aww, the poor widdle Congresscritters having to work ten weeks in a row.
It's almost as if people are the problem.
Blackhawk

Post by Blackhawk »

El Guapo wrote: Wed Nov 15, 2023 12:16 am
Blackhawk wrote: Wed Nov 15, 2023 12:01 am
Well, the NPR reporter tweeted that she saw it and she reported it as a shove, so I think there is a solid witness.
Maybe. It's a little unclear as to whether she actually saw the 'shove', or whether she just saw him lurch forward and was told it was a shove.
(˙pǝsɹǝʌǝɹ uǝǝq sɐɥ ʎʇıʌɐɹƃ ʃɐuosɹǝd ʎW)
waitingtoconnect

Post by waitingtoconnect »

Zaxxon wrote: Tue Nov 14, 2023 11:51 pm Matt Gaetz is suddenly interested in House standards of ethical conduct?
“I submit to the floor that I am only unethical outside of the house.”

Anyhow with all this fighting and madness from the men in congress remember, folks, we can't trust a woman in the white house because she might get emotional….
Kraken

Post by Kraken »

Isgrimnur wrote: Wed Nov 15, 2023 12:56 am
Johnson described the House being in session for 10 consecutive weeks as "a pressure cooker."
Their #1 job is fundraising. Anything that cuts into schmooz time is a distraction.
LordMortis

Post by LordMortis »

I can only assume they work when they are not in session, reviewing and writing. But that's a big assume. That said, Internet said those legislative "weeks" are often only 2 days.
GreenGoo

Post by GreenGoo »

Zarathud wrote: Tue Nov 14, 2023 11:52 pm Matt Gaetz is a petty little bitch. They should have bounced him when they had a chance.
Maybe someone should challenge him to fisticuffs.
malchior

Post by malchior »

El Guapo

Post by El Guapo »

What on earth was that photo supposed to prove? That busses arrived at Union Station on January 6th?
Black Lives Matter.
Unagi

Post by Unagi »

I assume the buses are painted white so as to cover up their original "FBI Informant" signage?
Unagi

Post by Unagi »

El Guapo wrote: Wed Nov 15, 2023 12:23 pm What on earth was that photo supposed to prove? That busses arrived at Union Station on January 6th?
Dude, it's just the tip of the iceberg. Just wait.
Smoove_B

Post by Smoove_B »

FWIW, I've had MAGA lunatics on local social media over the last few years showing similar photos of "illegals" traveling from [random state] that are being dumped off at bus stations to (1) steal jobs and (2) collect benefits. I guess it never occurred to them they could be setting up antifa cells to promote violence.
hepcat

Post by hepcat »

If you blow that picture up and study it like the good Mr. Higgins has, you will clearly see that the soil found on one of the wheels of a bus is higher in clay content than the other other busses. This is obviously a bus driven in from Chicago, a blue state, which has higher clay content than those of busses found in the DC region or any red state. Ergo, these busses were used to bring in operatives from Chicago under the direction of the secret leader of the DoJ, Ted Danson. Mr. Danson's role on Cheers was a front he adopted to throw off suspicion as to his true activity. Also, Norm from Cheers? He was an assassin for the secret DoJ. But not Cliff. Cliff was an okay guy.

In short, if the glove does not fit, you must hire someone who makes gloves to create another one that....oooh, someone brought in swedish meatballs!
He won. Period.
Carpet_pissr

Post by Carpet_pissr »

Isgrimnur wrote: Wed Nov 15, 2023 12:56 am
You serious?? Obviously you've never been shoved before. That shit is traumatic! They should all get bonuses just for having to deal with the psychological impact of the late unpleasantness wrt shoving and lunging.

On a serious note, I cannot IMAGINE having to work 10 consecutive weeks with what seem to be some of the worst people in the country. THAT I can understand being intolerable.
El Guapo

Post by El Guapo »

Unagi wrote: Wed Nov 15, 2023 12:28 pm
El Guapo wrote: Wed Nov 15, 2023 12:23 pm What on earth was that photo supposed to prove? That busses arrived at Union Station on January 6th?
Dude, it's just the tip of the iceberg. Just wait.
I will say that I have uncovered troubling information that suggests that people get off of busses at Union Station - a short walk from the Capitol! - *every* *single* *day*. The scope of this operation is mind-boggling.
Black Lives Matter.
Carpet_pissr

Post by Carpet_pissr »

hepcat wrote: Tue Nov 14, 2023 9:22 am My new favorite buzz phrase from the right trying to justify their attempts at creating a dictatorship is that they’re trying to save us from “the tyranny of the majority”. I mean…they’re trying to save us from democracy?
Yes! Full stop, no sarcasm, snark, etc. YES A THOUSAND TIMES YES.

Well, maybe tweaked SLIGHTLY: They're trying to save themselves, and their ilk, from Democracy, aka the Tyranny of the Majority.
Alefroth

Post by Alefroth »

Who the hell is Higgins and where can I see more of his compelling investigation?
hepcat

Post by hepcat »

Do NOT point out that House Oversight Committee chair James Comer ALSO gave his brother 200k while he's calling for an investigation of Biden for lending his brother 200k. If you do,prepare to be called a Smurf.

I'm surprised Moskowitz was able to stand after that master class in verbal drubbing.
He won. Period.
Unagi

Post by Unagi »

Just to be fair, it sounds like that was an event where his brother inherited the family farm and couldn't afford to keep it, but he could - so he basically bought the farm to keep the land and farm in the family. IF that's the straight story, there really isn't anything terrible about that. If.
Last edited by Unagi on Wed Nov 15, 2023 4:05 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Smoove_B

Post by Smoove_B »

For the love of god

House Republicans just voted to prohibit the CDC from studying gun deaths and gun injuries.

The gun lobby and its political pawns oppose even researching gun violence because they know the facts don’t support their guns everywhere agenda.
Unagi

Post by Unagi »

Smoove_B wrote: Wed Nov 15, 2023 4:05 pm
House Republicans just voted to prohibit the CDC from studying gun deaths and gun injuries.

The gun lobby and its political pawns oppose even researching gun violence because they know the facts don’t support their guns everywhere agenda.

Republicans gonna Republican - but who the hell are the 9 Democrats that could have joined the vote to block the amendment?
Smoove_B

Post by Smoove_B »

Seriously - is this the Onion?
A day after trying to start a fistfight in a Senate committee hearing, Sen. Markwayne Mullin (R-Okla.) said Wednesday that he has no problem biting people if he gets into a brawl.

“By the way, I’m not afraid of biting,” Mullin declared in an interview with Oklahoma native Kyle Thompson on his podcast “Undaunted.Life.”

“Biting?” Thompson asked.

“I’ll bite 100%,” replied the U.S. senator. “In a fight, I’m going to bite. I’ll do anything. I’m not above it. And I don’t care where I bite, by the way.”
Unagi

Post by Unagi »

OMG! Like - what the fuck!??

This man is actually afraid he's going to be fought - if ya ask me... This is the human version of BARK like mad.
Unagi

Post by Unagi »

I just love that.

"I'll bite. 100%. Oh, and that could even be your penis that I bite. I could bite your penis off if I find it. I'm not above it."
hepcat

Post by hepcat »

And just like Trump, he would always have a Tic Tac just before a match just in case he started kissing his opponent. You know, he's automatically attracted to beautiful — he would just start kissing them. It was like a magnet. Just kiss. He wouldn’t even wait. And when you’re a star, they let you do it. You can do anything.

Grab ’em by the groin. You can do anything.
He won. Period.
Jaymann

Post by Jaymann »

The CDC needs to research the disease potential of human biting.
Jaymann
]==(:::::::::::::>
Black Lives Matter
El Guapo

Post by El Guapo »

hepcat wrote: Wed Nov 15, 2023 4:42 pm And just like Trump, he would always have a Tic Tac just before a match just in case he started kissing his opponent. You know, he's automatically attracted to beautiful — he would just start kissing them. It was like a magnet. Just kiss. He wouldn’t even wait. And when you’re a star, they let you do it. You can do anything.

Grab ’em by the groin. You can do anything.
Just don't dare call him gay just because he's ready to put his mouth around another man's penis.
Black Lives Matter.
Alefroth

Post by Alefroth »

Unagi wrote: Wed Nov 15, 2023 4:04 pm Just to be fair, it sounds like that was an event where his brother inherited the family farm and couldn't afford to keep it, but he could - so he basically bought the farm to keep the land and farm in the family. IF that's the straight story, there really isn't anything terrible about that. If.
I think that's the point.
Unagi

Post by Unagi »

Alefroth wrote: Wed Nov 15, 2023 7:34 pm
Unagi wrote: Wed Nov 15, 2023 4:04 pm Just to be fair, it sounds like that was an event where his brother inherited the family farm and couldn't afford to keep it, but he could - so he basically bought the farm to keep the land and farm in the family. IF that's the straight story, there really isn't anything terrible about that. If.
Ah, yeah - I guess so.
I'm not really following that whole thing because it's just such nonsense.
Of course, they are saying that Biden's paper trail on his brotherly loan is dubious - while it's not at all... If I'm following the GOP narrative correctly, the "pretend crime" is that Biden got paid 200k, and tried to hide it as payback for a loan.
hepcat

Post by hepcat »

Alefroth wrote: Wed Nov 15, 2023 7:34 pm
In reading more about it, what I initially tried to say was two instances of a nothing burger and one being elevated to a crime (for Biden) actually may be a bit shadier on Comer's end.
According to Kentucky property records, Comer and his own brother have engaged in land swaps related to their family farming business. In one deal—also involving $200,000, as well as a shell company—the more powerful and influential Comer channeled extra money to his brother, seemingly from nothing. Other recent land swaps were quickly followed with new applications for special tax breaks, state records show. All of this, perplexingly, related to the dealings of a family company that appears to have never existed on paper.
He won. Period.
Unagi

Post by Unagi »

malchior wrote: Wed Nov 15, 2023 12:12 pm
Just a little l'esprit de l'escalier
Enlarge Image
Last edited by Unagi on Wed Nov 15, 2023 11:08 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Smoove_B

Post by Smoove_B »

(Would have also accepted)

Bussin' makes me feel good!

Enlarge Image