[HBO] The White Lotus

Everything else!

Moderators: Bakhtosh, EvilHomer3k

Smoove_B

[HBO] The White Lotus

Post by Smoove_B »

I think Hep and I are the only ones watching, but I suppose it's fair to start a thread for anyone else looking to join.

S1 trailer:

The show isn't what you think, exactly. It's a character driven drama with a bit of a mystery to solve. More specifically, there are a series of characters that initially don't have any connection but as the episodes unfold, you start to see how their individual plots are intertwined. It's very well written and I think only ~6 episodes per season. Would definitely recommend.
Last edited by Smoove_B on Tue Dec 06, 2022 3:16 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Maybe next year, maybe no go
Smoove_B

Re: [HBO] The White Lotus

Post by Smoove_B »

To re-post my theories on what's going to happen at the end of S2 (which I'm enjoying more than S1)

Regarding the Harper group:
Spoiler:
I was reading something this morning suggesting that Daphne is the behind it all - that she knew Cameron would do exactly what he did if left alone, so she intentionally "kidnapped" Harper for a night away to set the wheels in motion. There was a throw-away line I'd forgotten about how much she loves watching TV shows about how wives plot the murders of their husbands. Between that and the likely reveal that her kids are from her trainer, it definitely fits - that she would manipulate the situation to have Ethan murder her husband.
Regarding Tanya:
Spoiler:
I think that's what we are supposed to believe she believes, yes. Whether or not it's really him or it was just part of her coked-up fantasy, that is definitely unknown. It also seems to fit - that the entire experience with Quentin is all a long con for her money.
Regarding Lucia:
Spoiler:
That's a good guess. I'm pretty sure the guy she left with is just someone helping her with the con, regardless. I don't think she's in any danger at all.
I did go back and watch the S2 opening again and my original guess about what happens with Harper group might be wrong:

It looks like Daphne runs into the arms of Cameron. We never see his face, but a quick blurry shot kinda looks like him. Maybe Ethan tries to kill Cameron and it's Cameron that ends up killing Ethan? What's weird is she runs into the arms of a guy wearing squids on his bathing suit, but in the followup shots, there's no man with squids on his bathing suit to be seen. It's a mystery!
I did go back and watch the S2 opening again and my original guess about what happens with Harper group might be wrong:
Spoiler:
It looks like Daphne runs into the arms of Cameron. We never see his face, but a quick blurry shot kinda looks like him. Maybe Ethan tries to kill Cameron and it's Cameron that ends up killing Ethan? What's weird is she runs into the arms of a guy wearing squids on his bathing suit, but in the followup shots, there's no man with squids on his bathing suit to be seen. It's a mystery!
hepcat

Post by hepcat »

White Lotus?

...Oh...you mean the Jennifer Coolidge show?

Anyway, I didn't think I'd like the show. But it turns out I love the show. The closest I can come to describing it is Mad Men on vacation. It has that same overpowering sense of dread punctuated with the occasional moment of levity. You also have to pay attention to everything as even the smallest thing can result in a rather large event.
He won. Period.
Kraken

Post by Kraken »

We're probably going to start watching this over the weekend.
hepcat

Post by hepcat »

He won. Period.
telcta

Post by telcta »

One of the few series that I must watch the night it airs. I think it’s so well done and very engaging as it’s mostly character driven and the cast chemistry is so good on both seasons. I love F. Murray Abraham.

The music is fantastic and is like a character in the show, very expressive and fitting.
Z-Corn

Post by Z-Corn »

Yep, about to start this soon, we have both seasons taking up room on the TiVo.
malchior

Post by malchior »

Migrating here
Smoove_B wrote: Tue Dec 06, 2022 2:30 pm
Regarding the Harper group:
Spoiler:
I was reading something this morning suggesting that Daphne is the behind it all - that she knew Cameron would do exactly what he did if left alone, so she intentionally "kidnapped" Harper for a night away to set the wheels in motion. There was a throw-away line I'd forgotten about how much she loves watching TV shows about how wives plot the murders of their husbands. Between that and the likely reveal that her kids are from her trainer, it definitely fits - that she would manipulate the situation to have Ethan murder her husband.
Spoiler:
Plausible but I think it's a red herring. I believe those clues were dropped to lead us there.
Regarding Tanya:
Spoiler:
I think that's what we are supposed to believe she believes, yes. Whether or not it's really him or it was just part of her coked-up fantasy, that is definitely unknown. It also seems to fit - that the entire experience with Quentin is all a long con for her money.
Spoiler:
My belief up until that photo was that Quentin was running a honey pot. That looks to be true but I'm now thinking Greg and Quentin have been running a long con since the first White Lotus. Greg never was sick. He never worked for BLM. He has been draining the coffers the whole time. They wanted her to see that sketchy call to introduce doubt into her mind about his fidelity. And this job might have been precipitated to stave off the sale of the family house.
Regarding Lucia:
Spoiler:
That's a good guess. I'm pretty sure the guy she left with is just someone helping her with the con, regardless. I don't think she's in any danger at all.
Spoiler:
This one might be close to the truth but also possible that what'll happen is that Lucia's guy will be the ones to do something to Cameron or Ethan because they owe money. Also a chance Albie or Harper gets harmed. I could see Albie getting it because he white knights for Lucia when shit goes down with Cam/Ethan.
Spoiler:
Spoiler:
That opening scene is pretty untrustworthy. They make what appears to be a continuity error. When Valentina and Rocco look at the beach from afar they show the body bag being lifted. They cut to an obscured view from beach level and suddenly Daphne is to the left of the officers lifting the bag. I also think there is a close to zero percent chance that is Cameron at the end of that running onto the beach cut.
Edit: Also...Sorry.
hepcat

Post by hepcat »

Is it wrong that I want Portia to have a bad ending?
He won. Period.
Jaymann

Post by Jaymann »

hepcat wrote: Tue Dec 06, 2022 6:54 pm Is it wrong that I want Portia to have a bad ending?
You're not wrong.

I started watching at season 2, because Aubry Plaza. Who TF would kick her out of bed?
Jaymann
]==(:::::::::::::>
Black Lives Matter
hepcat

Post by hepcat »

Jaymann wrote: Tue Dec 06, 2022 7:11 pm
hepcat wrote: Tue Dec 06, 2022 6:54 pm Is it wrong that I want Portia to have a bad ending?
You're not wrong.

I started watching at season 2, because Aubry Plaza. Who TF would kick her out of bed?
Quentin.
He won. Period.
Smoove_B

Post by Smoove_B »

I'm wondering if we've been misled the whole time regarding one of the characters?
Spoiler:
Valentina is seemingly the only one that hasn't tried to actively manipulate anyone in the whole show. Well, I guess other than Bert - but he has demonstrated his historically been problematic. Valentina has a crush and she was (I suppose) trying to arrange the work place in such a way to act on it, but on the list of sins that seems pretty low. Is it possible that something bigger will be revealed this coming week?

I'd thought maybe the second body could be Rocco - that she kills him out of jealousy - but he's in the S2 opener with Valentina - discussing the bodies that have been found.
malchior

Post by malchior »

Smoove_B wrote: Tue Dec 06, 2022 8:27 pm I'm wondering if we've been misled the whole time regarding one of the characters?
Spoiler:
Valentina is seemingly the only one that hasn't tried to actively manipulate anyone in the whole show. Well, I guess other than Bert - but he has demonstrated his historically been problematic. Valentina has a crush and she was (I suppose) trying to arrange the work place in such a way to act on it, but on the list of sins that seems pretty low. Is it possible that something bigger will be revealed this coming week?

I'd thought maybe the second body could be Rocco - that she kills him out of jealousy - but he's in the S2 opener with Valentina - discussing the bodies that have been found.
Spoiler:
They specifically call them guests which to the employees probably includes Lucia and Mia (who is another good candidate for tragedy)
Smoove_B

Post by Smoove_B »

Good catch! In case it's not obvious I'm pretty excited to see where this all ends. I didn't see the S1 ending coming at all so I'm curious if this will have similar track.
malchior

Post by malchior »

Smoove_B wrote: Tue Dec 06, 2022 9:10 pm Good catch! In case it's not obvious I'm pretty excited to see where this all ends. I didn't see the S1 ending coming at all so I'm curious if this will have similar track.
This is why I'm sort of skeptical of the more straightforward guesses. They also littered the show with piles of Chekov's guns just to fuck with us I think. The master key last episode? Probably a total throwaway.
Kurth

Post by Kurth »

We're three episodes in to S2. We loved S1, and I think S2 is really good, too, but it feels really different from S1. There's a darkness and a seriousness to this season that I didn't feel in the first season. Granted, the first season had some dark moments, too, but it also had a feeling of lightness about it where this season is just heavy. I think this season is well done and high quality, but it's not as much . . . fun.
Just 'cause you feel it, doesn't mean it's there -- Radiohead
Do you believe me? Do you trust me? Do you like me? 😳
rittchard

Post by rittchard »

I'm watching too! Binged Season 1 and loved it for the most part. I heard so many good things about S2 being better, but honestly I don't think I liked it as much as S1. Which is odd because I like a lot of the individual cast better and the men are a lot hotter. I feel like it's more disjointed and disparate in terms of the character interactions, and maybe all the characters/plots need more time to flesh out. So it's kind of a reverse criticism, I think I just want to see more of everyone, and more interaction between the cast/plotlines. The other problem I had was someone told me it was 6 episodes each, so I kept thinking ep 6 was going to end the series and I was freaking out a bit while watching lol. Definitely excited to see how they end this craziness.
malchior

Post by malchior »

Well I found that resolution to be entirely unsatisfying but it at least made sense. I think my disappointment comes from thinking this story would be smarter than it was.
Kraken

Post by Kraken »

I'm four episodes into S1 and it's starting to gel for me, even though I'm getting tired of shows where everyone's terrible in some special way.
Smoove_B

Post by Smoove_B »

malchior wrote: Mon Dec 12, 2022 1:00 am Well I found that resolution to be entirely unsatisfying but it at least made sense. I think my disappointment comes from thinking this story would be smarter than it was.
That ending was not at all what I expected. I have so many questions. Well, maybe a few questions.
hepcat

Post by hepcat »

Kraken wrote: Mon Dec 12, 2022 1:04 am I'm four episodes into S1 and it's starting to gel for me, even though I'm getting tired of shows where everyone's terrible in some special way.
The problem is, everyone in real life IS terrible in some way. :ninja:
He won. Period.
Jag

Post by Jag »

Smoove_B wrote: Mon Dec 12, 2022 11:42 am
malchior wrote: Mon Dec 12, 2022 1:00 am Well I found that resolution to be entirely unsatisfying but it at least made sense. I think my disappointment comes from thinking this story would be smarter than it was.
That ending was not at all what I expected. I have so many questions. Well, maybe a few questions.
Peppa Pig is packing!
Kraken

Post by Kraken »

hepcat wrote: Mon Dec 12, 2022 1:00 pm
Kraken wrote: Mon Dec 12, 2022 1:04 am I'm four episodes into S1 and it's starting to gel for me, even though I'm getting tired of shows where everyone's terrible in some special way.
The problem is, everyone in real life IS terrible in some way. :ninja:
Yup. It reflects the time we're living in, socially and politically, when we have no illusions about the rich and powerful -- indeed, we expect the worst of them. Which reminds me that Succession should be back soon-ish.
malchior

Post by malchior »

Smoove_B wrote: Mon Dec 12, 2022 11:42 am
It wasn't the ending I expected either. It was so...ordinary. The reason so many people didn't see what happened coming is because aside from the boat shenanigans it was all telegraphed in the mid-season and dismissed as too pedestrian an outcome. Maybe his point was to be banal. I don't know but I enjoyed the season overall thought. It's just disappointing that this episode fell pretty flat for me. I haven't even thought about it since I made that post last night.

As to questions. My only question is why are people who can blow 50K Euros on an obvious scam and just shrug flying EasyJet?
hepcat

Post by hepcat »

I liked it. It had one outlandish ending and multiple realistic endings. That’s kind of their thing. It wasn’t ridiculously over the top, but it also delivered on the promise of sensationalism hinted at in the first episode.

Although
Spoiler:
Damn it, I’m going to miss Coolidge. I really hope she’s going to get many more roles in the near future based off her excellent performances in this series.

In addition, the other star player in the ensemble has to be Meghann Fahy‘s Daphne. Everyone is always talking about Plaza, but Fahy stole every scene she was in….even when playing against Plaza.
He won. Period.
Smoove_B

Post by Smoove_B »

Yes, I actually liked the Seal Team Six ending; that whole plot line (for me) delivered
Spoiler:
"The gays are trying to kill me!" and how she was asking if Greg was cheating on her as my dude was bleeding out. What a character she was.
I agree that Meghann Fahy was quite good. What I think is interesting about the S2 ending overall is there's still so much we don't know. Also, that volcano in the background was real - like, it was randomly active during the filming of the show. Regarding Daphne:
Spoiler:
At first I was confused over her encounter with Ethan. Were we supposed to assume they did something? Or are we now like Ethan and jumping to conclusions? Wasn't that her whole message too? Not knowing everything is how you keep that "spark".
I did like it, but I wouldn't call it "satisfying". Worth watching? Absolutely. But I'm left with unease and I think that's the point. Will absolutely watch S3.
malchior

Post by malchior »

Smoove_B wrote: Mon Dec 12, 2022 11:42 pmRegarding Daphne:
Spoiler:
At first I was confused over her encounter with Ethan. Were we supposed to assume they did something? Or are we now like Ethan and jumping to conclusions? Wasn't that her whole message too? Not knowing everything is how you keep that "spark".
Spoiler:
I mean she is shooting him classic come hither looks the whole time they are going for a walk. We're lead to believe that and this show was not subtle about anything. So I interpret it to be exactly what it was. That's why he came back to Harper like that. That is classic cheating behavior.
hepcat

Post by hepcat »

I think Daphne
Spoiler:
did bump nasties with Ethan for both her own sake (remember, she’s no one’s victim) and for Ethan’s. She knew Ethan wouldn’t be able to get over his jealousy unless he actually did do something. She understands the male psyche like no other character on the show. Sure, she’s an awful human being at times, but only because everyone else in her orbit is frigging awful. Her coping mechanism is based off spite and hedonism.

I also think Harper and Cameron did more than just smooch. But at the end of the day, she and Ethan love each other. I don’t think White (the writer) is drawing a parallel between the two couples though. Harper and Ethan won’t become Cameron and Daphne. But they had to go through that encounter to see why.

The other standout for me was Valentina, the hotel manager. She had a simplistic journey of discovery, but it was really the only one that felt totally deserved amongst all the others.

Also, am I horrible person for continuing to wanna see Portia hurled out of that car while it was going 90? Or perhaps taken to a cliff and pushed over? She annoyed me the entire time. However, I suspect that was the intent.
He won. Period.
Kraken

Post by Kraken »

Thank y'all for using spoiler tags. I'm only at S1E5. I just want to mention that I love the music. Ordinarily I only notice a soundtrack if it's annoying, but this one grabs me for the right reasons.
Fireball

Post by Fireball »

My husband and I love this show so much, though he finds the anxiety very overwhelming.
Spoiler:
I'm sorry that Tanya died, but I love that she killed herself with her own poor judgment. She died the way she lived her life... awkwardly and in a self-destructive manner. I had called the general thrust of this plot the moment Quentin mentioned his "cowboy" and have the texts to friends to prove it. The show played very fair with the mystery, putting it all out there for you to solve, but leaving enough leeway until the very end for you to second guess yourself.
Absolutely great television. So well written.
Wed Oct 20, 2004 1:17 am
Zarathud: The sad thing is that Barak Obama is a very intelligent and articulate person, even when you disagree with his views it's clear that he's very thoughtful. I would have loved to see Obama in a real debate.
Me: Wait 12 years, when he runs for president. :-)
YellowKing

Post by YellowKing »

I kept hearing a lot of buzz around this not only here but from some close friends, so I watched the first episode today. I'm hooked, and not just because Jennifer Coolidge is freaking amazing in everything.
hepcat

Post by hepcat »

I will add to my previous post
Spoiler:
Tanya/Jennifer Coolidge should be the next Punisher. Forget these tough guys they keep casting. Tanya just closes her eyes and kills everyone in the room. She's obviously been trained by you know who

Oh, and here's something cool I found on episode 3 of season 2 for a scene Aubrey Plaza was in
Spoiler:
The entire scene with Plaza being surrounded by Italian men while at the villa with Daphne was almost a shot for shot remake of 1951's An American Girl in Italy.

If you follow the twitter link, you'll see both scenes set side by side.
He won. Period.
Isgrimnur

Post by Isgrimnur »

It's almost as if people are the problem.
hepcat

Post by hepcat »

She’s comedy gold no matter where she shows up. I’m even laughing at her Gap commercials.
He won. Period.
Jaymann

Post by Jaymann »

Well that turned dark in a hurry. And I thought it was just a tale of bumbling touristas. I'm glad that finally:
Spoiler:
someone got busy with Aubrey Plaza.
Jaymann
]==(:::::::::::::>
Black Lives Matter
Kraken

Post by Kraken »

That ended more or less where I thought it was going, at least in broad strokes.
Spoiler:
We saw Chekhov's gun in the penultimate episode, and Tanya was to only character who knew it was there, so it was a safe bet that she was going to do some shootin'. I didn't expect her to kill, well, everyone, or to die herself in a seemingly gratuitous manner. It was consistent with her character, but still felt like White just wanted to off her for kicks.

I didn't pick up on the whole conspiracy until it was laid out for us. I knew nefarious things were afoot but didn't put it together myself.
All in all, I'm looking forward to S3. If you watched the interview with Mike White (whom I didn't realize was School of Rock's Ed Sneebly!) then you know that
Spoiler:
S1 was about money; S2 was about sex; and he teased S3 as being about spirituality.
hepcat

Post by hepcat »

Kraken wrote: Wed Dec 21, 2022 12:13 pm That ended more or less where I thought it was going, at least in broad strokes.

If you watched the interview with Mike White (whom I didn't realize was School of Rock's Ed Sneebly!).
As well as its writer.
He won. Period.
Carpet_pissr

Post by Carpet_pissr »

This thread is making me think I missed something profound.

Watched the first couple of episodes and it just didn’t hook me - at all. Did I bail too soon or MOTS ahead?

NORMALLY anything with a 90%+ on RT has me nodding my head at the end, knowingly, as if to say ‘right again, RT!” (Also the quality is usually immediately obvious if it’s a TV series like this)

But this one at 91%? I got nothin’.
hepcat

Post by hepcat »

It’s more Mad Men than it is Breaking Bad. There are long stretches where something climatic seems about to happen, but doesn’t. It’s very low key. Well, until the final moments when the climax does occur, that is.
He won. Period.
stimpy

Post by stimpy »

Carpet_pissr wrote: Thu Dec 22, 2022 6:19 am This thread is making me think I missed something profound.

Watched the first couple of episodes and it just didn’t hook me - at all. Did I bail too soon or MOTS ahead?

NORMALLY anything with a 90%+ on RT has me nodding my head at the end, knowingly, as if to say ‘right again, RT!” (Also the quality is usually immediately obvious if it’s a TV series like this)

But this one at 91%? I got nothin’.
Definitely MOTS.
Weird/bad people doing weird/bad things.
Some get comeuppance. Some dont.
If the first couple didnt pull you in, you didnt bail too soon.
He/Him/His/Porcupine