King Charles III

Everything else!

Moderators: Bakhtosh, EvilHomer3k

Unagi

King Charles III

Post by Unagi »

I figure His Royal Highness deserved his own thread.

I think that he will 'do fine', but I think generally speaking the Royal Family has lost a great source of public opinion 'bouyancy' in the loss of Queen Elizabeth, and that it will show.
Holman

Re: King Charles III

Post by Holman »

I wish Charles well.

He's often caricatured as a doofus, but he has consistently spent his political capital on good causes like anti-racism and the climate crisis, and he has even expressed remorse for the legacy of British imperialism. On these fronts, he has been unafraid of controversy. His mother rarely came close to that.

If nothing else, I would expect him to be an advocate of progress rather than an obstacle.
Much prefer my Nazis Nuremberged.
Holman

Post by Holman »

Historians refer to the reign of Charles I as the Caroline era, while (for whatever reason) the reign of Charles II is the Carolean era.

What will they call the period of Charles III's reign?

Chuck 1 and Chuck 2 are far enough in history (the 1600s) for the Franco-Latinate adjectives to make sense, but more recent monarchs have enjoyed more English-sounding descriptors: Georgian, Victorian, Edwardian, Elizabethan.

Maybe the current king and his progeny (and perhaps Elizabeth II) will simply be "Windsorian," using the (adopted)* family name rather than the monarchal firsts?

*(The House of Windsor adopted the more comfortably English-sounding name during WW1 because their traditional "House of Saxe-Coburg and Gotha" was too German.)
Much prefer my Nazis Nuremberged.
Rumpy

Post by Rumpy »

There certainly will be an adjustment period, both systematically and in a way of people getting used to it. I think if anything, what will change is the tone. It's easy to take Queen Elisabeth for granted given how long she's reigned, and the way she's reigned with her own touches. I thought his first speech as Monarch was done fairly well.
PC:
Ryzen 5 3600
32GB RAM
2x1TB NVMe Drives
GTX 1660 Ti
Isgrimnur

Post by Isgrimnur »

King Charles III diagnosed with cancer, Buckingham Palace says
King Charles has been diagnosed with a form of cancer, says Buckingham Palace.

The type of cancer has not been revealed - it is not prostate cancer, but was discovered during his recent treatment for an enlarged prostate.

The King began "regular treatments" on Monday and will postpone public duties during the treatment, the Palace said.

The King, 75, "remains wholly positive about his treatment and looks forward to returning to full public duty as soon as possible," it added.

No further details are being shared on the stage of cancer or a prognosis.
It's almost as if people are the problem.
em2nought

Post by em2nought »

Holman wrote: Sat Sep 10, 2022 5:45 pm
What will they call the period of Charles III's reign?
Short? :think: Maybe I should have picked up that tin of coronation commemorative shortbread cookies at Marshalls on clearance.
"Four more years!" "Pause." LMAO