2024 - the MAGA Presidency and Revenge Tour

For discussion of religion and politics

Moderators: LawBeefaroni, $iljanus

YellowKing

Re: 2024 - the MAGA Presidency and Revenge Tour

Post by YellowKing »

I 100% agree he should be ignored, even though I recognize that's not realistic. We're all internet savvy folks, we know trolls only thrive on reactions and attention. The minute you take that away, they lose their power.

If there's anything I can give Trump credit for, it's that he absolutely embodies the phrase "there's no such thing as bad publicity." His entire "empire" is built on it.
LawBeefaroni
Forum Moderator

Post by LawBeefaroni »

raydude wrote: Fri Dec 29, 2023 10:59 am
Carpet_pissr wrote: Fri Dec 29, 2023 9:45 am
LawBeefaroni wrote: Thu Dec 28, 2023 7:11 pm Yes, yes we did.

Kurth wrote: Thu Aug 24, 2023 11:55 pm Thought experiment: If you were given two options, which would you choose?

(1) Biden v. Trump with a 75% chance Biden wins; or
(2) Nikki Haley as the next POTUS
And I still go with the one that guarantees 0% Trump.
If you move that to 50% Biden wins (which is probably more accurate), I’ll agree.

Coin flip that Trump wins vs Haley as POTUS? I don’t even have to think about that.
I feel like a Haley win would just be like the frog in the boiling pot - she doesn't seem so bad, which will make the next election easier for someone even worse. Whereas a Trump win would bring more people to the realization that "the leopard ate my face!? But I voted for it!" So I'd still go with 1, with the knowledge that a Trump win would get more people to realize how bad the GOP really is. I also like to think even the worst of the GOP would not agree to a Trump dictatorship and that the billionaires would realize an unfettered Trump is bad for business.
What good is finally realizing how bad he is when he will effectively end everything if elected? It's not like there will be a chance to vote him out. He has already outlined his plans to consolidate power and control succession. He learned from past mistakes and I wouldn't count on the same amateur-hour bumbling now that it's no longer just idiot sycophants working behind the scenes.
" Hey OP, listen to my advice alright." -Tha General
"No scientific discovery is named after its original discoverer." -Stigler's Law of Eponymy, discovered by Robert K. Merton

MYT
Unagi

Post by Unagi »

My primary concerns with the Trump presidency were mostly that Trump would promote all the GOP pet desires (more guns, demonize immigrants/minorities/poor/LGBT+, criminalize abortion) and secondarily handing tax money out to the rich and grifting America in exchange.

Since that first presidency, the GOP has fully embraced such horrible things, at this point, I see no value in allowing one of their lieutenants (Haley) in the front door. When people talk about the big problem with a "Trump Administration v2.0" being filled with more competent people - I look at the President Haley option as being exactly that.

Trump's first election created a massive unmoving block of voters, it galvanized the GOP message of hate and promoted all of the above-mentioned GOP pet desires...

So the questions that haunt me are these:
Is Trumpism more in decline, or less in decline, than that galvanized GOP movement on their pet desires?
Is a Haley presidency allowing the GOP to hand the baton to a fresh and stronger runner that will take the country exactly where we imagine a Trump dictatorship will take us?
Are there more people who will fight back against a possible Trump dictatorship than there are people who will fight for gun restrictions and LGBT+ rights?

I just don't want to be so focused on the boogeyman that I hand the house over to a comforting devil.

The big argument to avoid Trump 2.0 is the idea being it would be the end of the whole game. No more (fair) elections, etc... I'm not entirely convinced a Haley GOP wouldn't unravel the same things we are talking about with Trump in that respect. At least Trump already has the 'insurrectionist' spotlight on him.

Both options are horrible.
Holman

Post by Holman »

Holman wrote: Wed Dec 27, 2023 9:05 pm A world where Haley is the GOP nominee is (assuming Trump is not dead) one where Haley has openly promised to pardon Trump and his allies or where Trump rails against her and keeps the MAGA vote home.

Neither scenario is well captured by "Haley vs Biden" hypothetical polls.
And now Haley has come out and said that she will pardon Trump for the good of the country.

That's an incredibly boneheaded move before any trials have concluded. It's a painfully obvious admission that he is above the law.
Much prefer my Nazis Nuremberged.
YellowKing

Post by YellowKing »

Unagi wrote:The big argument to avoid Trump 2.0 is the idea being it would be the end of the whole game. No more (fair) elections, etc... I'm not entirely convinced a Haley GOP wouldn't unravel the same things we are talking about with Trump in that respect. At least Trump already has the 'insurrectionist' spotlight on him.
It's entirely possible that a Haley presidency would accomplish the same goals. However, I look at her as an unknown. I'll take the possibility of her not destroying democracy over the absolute certainty that Trump will.

Also, Trump's mental illness scares me. The guy is absolutely deranged. Haley supports bad policies, but she's not mentally ill. And as such, she does have certain guardrails that Trump doesn't. For instance, she obviously has an awareness of polls and public opinion about her, and like any "normal" politician is keen to change direction if public sentiment is against her. Trump has none of that. He gives zero fucks about public opinion. If Trump had received the backlash Haley did from the Civil War question, he'd have doubled down on those statements, not backed away.

Haley was a governor and ambassador - she at least has some political experience. Trump is a con-artist and a reality show star.

I totally agree both options are horrible. But they're not equally horrible.
Unagi

Post by Unagi »

To be clear (because I agree with most of your comments), I think Trump may be a better person to have up for election in 2024. Not that I wouldn't rather Haley be president than Trump.

And, I have no counter-argument against the unknown that is Haley - as just the parts she has made known are very significant to my family.

That being said - there is no worse person for President than Trump.
YellowKing

Post by YellowKing »

Yeah I agree - I think Biden has even or maybe even slightly better than even odds against Trump. I think he gets absolutely destroyed by Haley. And I'm also very aware of the nightmare scenario of Trump picking Haley as VP, even though I'm not sure his ego would allow it.
Kraken

Post by Kraken »

Holman wrote: Sat Dec 30, 2023 4:36 pm
Holman wrote: Wed Dec 27, 2023 9:05 pm A world where Haley is the GOP nominee is (assuming Trump is not dead) one where Haley has openly promised to pardon Trump and his allies or where Trump rails against her and keeps the MAGA vote home.

Neither scenario is well captured by "Haley vs Biden" hypothetical polls.
And now Haley has come out and said that she will pardon Trump for the good of the country.

That's an incredibly boneheaded move before any trials have concluded. It's a painfully obvious admission that he is above the law.
She needs MAGA voters if she's to have any prayer of winning, so she's got to walk a weird line. "I'm running against him but I'm all for him."
YellowKing wrote: Sat Dec 30, 2023 9:46 pm Yeah I agree - I think Biden has even or maybe even slightly better than even odds against Trump. I think he gets absolutely destroyed by Haley. And I'm also very aware of the nightmare scenario of Trump picking Haley as VP, even though I'm not sure his ego would allow it.
I don't think there's any danger of that. Trump will find another milquetoast sycophant like Pence. Or maybe Don Jr. :lol:
hepcat

Post by hepcat »

Getting the call informing you Trump wants you as his VP must be like finding out you have syphilis on your birthday.
He won. Period.
GreenGoo

Post by GreenGoo »

Holman wrote: Sat Dec 30, 2023 4:36 pm And now Haley has come out and said that she will pardon Trump for the good of the country.

This also strongly suggests there is something to pardon him for. i.e. he committed wrongdoing. Does that affect anyone's opinion of the situation? Probably not. Still, this is the sort of logical stumble that is constantly happening with no consequences. It's maddening.
Alefroth

Post by Alefroth »

Also, you'd think they'd know they can't pardon him for state charges.
waitingtoconnect

Post by waitingtoconnect »

Trump was constrained by men like Christie and Pence and Bolton who believe in the constituion. His new acolytes don’t believe in it at all.

I’m sure they’d be a federal “intervention” in New York and Georgia against the “rampant and out of control crime wave” perpetrated by the “communists” running those states if pardoning was not possible.

Those who spoke against him or pleaded out will pay dearly. The Biden family will definitely need to run. And like in other nations unfriendly media will be taken over, shut down on national security grounds or audited out of existence by the new weaponised IRS.

And I’m sure men like Giuliani will be left in the dust despite their gross loyalty in the hope trump will make them be rich again.
gbasden

Post by gbasden »

Smoove_B wrote: Wed Dec 27, 2023 2:36 pm Yeah, someone that described the Confederate Flag as a symbol of "service, sacrifice and heritage" is absolutely the right person to be President.

I am firmly in the camp that believes the worst Democrat is better than the "best" GOP candidate at this point; the entire party is a cancer to American democracy.
Dear god this.
Unagi

Post by Unagi »

gbasden wrote: Tue Jan 02, 2024 8:03 pm
Smoove_B wrote: Wed Dec 27, 2023 2:36 pm Yeah, someone that described the Confederate Flag as a symbol of "service, sacrifice and heritage" is absolutely the right person to be President.

I am firmly in the camp that believes the worst Democrat is better than the "best" GOP candidate at this point; the entire party is a cancer to American democracy.
Dear god this.
+1
Daehawk

Post by Daehawk »

I dont even know the real meaning of MAGA. i dont wanna search and the internet think Im a supporter. I thought it was MoreAssholesGonnaAsshole but dont think thats it now..but not sure.
--------------------------------------------
I am Dyslexic of Borg, prepare to have your ass laminated.
I guess Ray Butts has ate his last pancake.
http://steamcommunity.com/id/daehawk
"Has high IQ. Refuses to apply it"
Scraper

Post by Scraper »

Daehawk wrote: Wed Jan 03, 2024 2:51 pm I dont even know the real meaning of MAGA. i dont wanna search and the internet think Im a supporter. I thought it was MoreAssholesGonnaAsshole but dont think thats it now..but not sure.
You won't find an answer, because it's whatever Trump wants it to mean at any given moment. There is no policy behind it, that's why the GOP hasn't released a national party agenda for the past 5 years.
FTE
Daehawk

Post by Daehawk »

Enlarge Image
--------------------------------------------
I am Dyslexic of Borg, prepare to have your ass laminated.
I guess Ray Butts has ate his last pancake.
http://steamcommunity.com/id/daehawk
"Has high IQ. Refuses to apply it"
YellowKing

Post by YellowKing »

Reading between the lines, 'Making America Great Again" really means making America like it was in the 50s when women and black folk knew their place. When we didn't talk about gay people, men settled arguments with their fists, and we were free to beat our kids.
waitingtoconnect

Mr trump why would you like to be president…

Note the other options spite, malice, boredom, profit…
stessier

Post by stessier »

I require a reminder as to why raining arcane destruction is not an appropriate response to all of life's indignities. - Vaarsuvius
Global Steam Wishmaslist Tracking
Running____2014: 1300.55 miles____2015: 2036.13 miles____2016: 1012.75 miles____2017: 1105.82 miles____2018: 1318.91 miles__2019: 2000.00 miles
Victoria Raverna

Post by Victoria Raverna »

More MAGA:

Dogstar

Post by Dogstar »

I'm with Smoove in terms of rejecting a Haley presidency as well for a plethora of reasons. I'm looking at the Supreme Court and the lower courts as well for justification.
Zarathud wrote: Thu Dec 28, 2023 8:50 pm The only way the GOP deradicalizes is by a sound defeat of Trump and ALL his MAGA wannabes. That includes DeSantis and Haley.

The choice is like deciding to have late-stage cancer or early stage cancer without treatment. In both situations, you’re going to die of cancer. But a different time horizon.
This. I'm not enthusiastic about Biden for any number of reasons, but when it comes to holding on to our constitutional republic, things not getting shittier for minorities, the Supreme Court not getting worse, and the environment, I will donate, post, drive people to the polls, etc.. I will look forward to the time when Trump not only can't or won't run again, but stops empowering the MAGA movement. But this is starting to feel Sisyphus-like, with a bigger boulder and a steeper hill each year.

It absolutely floors me that in an age with a wealth of information, learning techniques, and predictive models that this is where we are in terms of choosing functioning governance that's not detrimental to the citizens in the long-term.
Hyena

Post by Hyena »

Dogstar wrote: Mon Jan 08, 2024 10:31 am I'm with Smoove in terms of rejecting a Haley presidency as well for a plethora of reasons. I'm looking at the Supreme Court and the lower courts as well for justification.
Zarathud wrote: Thu Dec 28, 2023 8:50 pm The only way the GOP deradicalizes is by a sound defeat of Trump and ALL his MAGA wannabes. That includes DeSantis and Haley.

The choice is like deciding to have late-stage cancer or early stage cancer without treatment. In both situations, you’re going to die of cancer. But a different time horizon.
This. I'm not enthusiastic about Biden for any number of reasons, but when it comes to holding on to our constitutional republic, things not getting shittier for minorities, the Supreme Court not getting worse, and the environment, I will donate, post, drive people to the polls, etc.. I will look forward to the time when Trump not only can't or won't run again, but stops empowering the MAGA movement. But this is starting to feel Sisyphus-like, with a bigger boulder and a steeper hill each year.

It absolutely floors me that in an age with a wealth of information, learning techniques, and predictive models that this is where we are in terms of choosing functioning governance that's not detrimental to the citizens in the long-term.
I normally don't post in here, just come to read. The highlighted part above, in my opinion (and partially in my own actions), is because of the proclivity of people to want to exist in an echo chamber. The "wealth of information" is a double-edged sword.
If you want to find info about how Jan. 6 was an attack on our country, our democracy, and our way of life, it's out there by the metric ton.
If you want to find info about how Jan. 6 was a peaceful protest ambushed and sabotaged by the FBI, NSA, and a host of other government alphabet groups, it's out there by the metric ton.

People will search for what they believe, and will ignore (or worse) any proof to the contrary, no matter how damning. There are very few people out there, willing and open-minded enough, searching for contrary points of view to get an alternate perspective.
"You laugh at me because I'm different; I laugh at you because you're all the same." ~Jonathan Davis

"The object of education is to prepare the young to educate themselves throughout their lives." ~Robert M. Hutchins
Unagi

Post by Unagi »

Dogstar wrote: Mon Jan 08, 2024 10:31 am I'm with Smoove in terms of rejecting a Haley presidency as well for a plethora of reasons. I'm looking at the Supreme Court and the lower courts as well for justification.

+1
LordMortis

Post by LordMortis »

Dogstar wrote: Mon Jan 08, 2024 10:31 am It absolutely floors me that in an age with a wealth of information, learning techniques, and predictive models that this is where we are in terms of choosing functioning governance that's not detrimental to the citizens in the long-term.
And that the implied goal of the "think tanks" (funded by???) moving the needle is to hamstring the wealth of information, learning techniques, and predictive models...
Hyena wrote: Mon Jan 08, 2024 12:14 pm People will search for what they believe, and will ignore (or worse) any proof to the contrary, no matter how damning. There are very few people out there, willing and open-minded enough, searching for contrary points of view to get an alternate perspective.
The crappy part for me is that my exposure to the contrary points of view come from unreliable or inflammatory sources. I get a lot of exposure but precious little of it reasonable. Less than a decade ago, I was still inviting it, because discussion felt like it made things go somewhere. Heck, it moved me "to the left" on a number of positions over the last 30 years and didn't even require fundamental changes to my worldview. Though, I know my patience for unproductive "discussion" has dropped to near zero and I don't think it will come back. Thanx old age.
LawBeefaroni
Forum Moderator

Post by LawBeefaroni »

Did we cover this already?

I bet GLP-1s are part of that "improved diet."
" Hey OP, listen to my advice alright." -Tha General
"No scientific discovery is named after its original discoverer." -Stigler's Law of Eponymy, discovered by Robert K. Merton

MYT
Alefroth

Post by Alefroth »

Yep. I noticed in his town hall last night that he looked thinner and figured it was something like Ozempic.
Victoria Raverna

LawBeefaroni wrote: Thu Jan 11, 2024 5:26 pm Did we cover this already?

I bet GLP-1s are part of that "improved diet."
That is not a medical doctor, right?
Kraken

Post by Kraken »

Victoria Raverna

And DOs are not real medical doctor, right? It is kinda like Doctor of Chiropractic isn't a real medical doctor?
Kraken

Post by Kraken »

Victoria Raverna wrote: Fri Jan 12, 2024 1:46 am And DOs are not real medical doctor, right? It is kinda like Doctor of Chiropractic isn't a real medical doctor?
Wrong. Osteopaths practice scientific medicine and enjoy the same status as MDs. They undergo the same education and residency requirements. Some prefer them because they aren't as reductionist as MDs and they're less likely to reach for drugs as a first resort. But practically speaking they're equivalent.

If trump's doctor is a shill, it isn't because he's a DO.
malchior

Post by malchior »

Rubio just threw in for Trump a day before Trump is now set to landslide Iowa. How courageous.
Pyperkub

Post by Pyperkub »

The Party over Country lack of integrity wins again.
Black Lives definitely Matter Lorini!

Also: There are three ways to not tell the truth: lies, damned lies, and statistics.
malchior

Post by malchior »

Pyperkub wrote: Sun Jan 14, 2024 7:15 pm The Party self-interest over Country lack of integrity wins again.
malchior

Post by malchior »

4 years and beyond... :coffee:

Alefroth

Post by Alefroth »

As a head in a jar?
Unagi

Post by Unagi »

Look, he gets the 4 years he will win, - and then of course he is owed 4 years (at least) for the stolen election. It's just simple accounting.
waitingtoconnect

We also need to crown him king Donald I because that’s what’s the founders would have wanted.
Carpet_pissr

Post by Carpet_pissr »

(Used to be) a nice country you have here. Be a shame if someone were to sick a rabid mob on it and burn the place down.
Skinypupy

Post by Skinypupy »

And remember, Joe Biden's age should immediately disqualify him.
When darkness veils the world, four Warriors of Light shall come.