Marvel Cinematic Universe: Phase Six

Everything else!

Moderators: Bakhtosh, EvilHomer3k

Isgrimnur

Marvel Cinematic Universe: Phase Six

Post by Isgrimnur »

IGN
Revealed at the San Diego Comic-Con Marvel Studios panel, we learned that Phase 6 will begin with Fantastic Four, and end with two new Avengers movies titled Avengers: The Kang Dynasty and Avengers: Secret Wars. Marvel also confirmed that the end of Phase 6 will complete the MCU's second saga, which is now officially called The Multiverse Saga.

We also learned that Marvel Studios' Fantastic Four is coming to theaters on November 8, 2024. The next Avengers movie will come shortly after, with Avengers: The Kang Dynasty coming to theaters on May 2, 2025. Avengers: Secret Wars will hit theaters just six months later, on November 7, 2025.
It's almost as if people are the problem.
Sudy

Re: Marvel Cinematic Universe: Phase Six

Post by Sudy »

I'm not sure what there is to be excited about at this point. I mean they've about exhausted the characters I'm familiar with along with the other filthy casuals. I'll still watch and have a slightly above average time. I look forward to seeing what Mahershala Ali does with Blade, and of course the integration of the Fox properties. But they really need to execute their in-universe shakeups flawlessly to get me interested again. Otherwise it just starts to feel like the seventh iteration of the Power Rangers. It's good, it's consistent... but it's the same, and it loses a little more of what made it special on each pass.

Like where's the 10-season commitment to Moon Knight (first three episodes)?

I saw a commercial on late night TV. It said, "Forget everything you know about slipcovers." So I did. And it was a load off my mind. Then the commercial tried to sell me slipcovers, and I didn't know what the hell they were. -- Mitch Hedberg
hitbyambulance

Post by hitbyambulance »

i've already lost interest. not even bringing in Fantastic Four and X-Men and actual good versions of Daredevil and Ghost Rider can help now. HELL, they even finally made a Moon Knight series and i'm like... too late

...did they announce Alpha Flight yet?
Carpet_pissr

Post by Carpet_pissr »

Yep. The MCU is McDonald’s at this point.
stessier

Post by stessier »

I've watched and enjoyed it all and am looking forward to more. Maybe it helps that I never read comics as a kid.
I require a reminder as to why raining arcane destruction is not an appropriate response to all of life's indignities. - Vaarsuvius
Global Steam Wishmaslist Tracking
Running____2014: 1300.55 miles____2015: 2036.13 miles____2016: 1012.75 miles____2017: 1105.82 miles____2018: 1318.91 miles__2019: 2000.00 miles
hepcat

Post by hepcat »

As long as this road they're taking eventually leads to a Paste Pot Pete origin movie, I'm good.
You ain't gonna think life's so funny pal... once I've covered you in paste!
He won. Period.
Unagi

Post by Unagi »

Lols paste pot Pete.

Wait. Wait. Mark Walhburg Golden Girls Monte Christo, and I’m missing something. Carrot Top.
JCC

Post by JCC »

I am still pretty engaged in the MCU. I doubt I will ever be as excited for any MCU movie as I was for Infinity War and Endgame, but I am still enjoying all the content since them (I even enjoyed Eternals). The movie I am most excited for is Deadpool 3 - so I am continually frustrated at the lack of info on that.
Black Lives Matter

"You know, the very powerful and the very stupid have one thing in common: they don't alter their views to fit the facts; they alter the facts to fit their views." - The 4th Doctor
hepcat

Post by hepcat »

Unagi wrote: Sun Jul 24, 2022 8:33 am Lols paste pot Pete.

Wait. Wait. Mark Walhburg Golden Girls Monte Christo, and I’m missing something. Carrot Top.
You're also missing the numerous red, flashing signs warning you I'm unstable.
He won. Period.
Unagi

Post by Unagi »

hepcat wrote: Sun Jul 24, 2022 9:13 am
Unagi wrote: Sun Jul 24, 2022 8:33 am Lols paste pot Pete.

You're also missing the numerous red, flashing signs warning you I'm unstable.
How can you say that? I just listed them!

:P
hepcat

Post by hepcat »

True...true.
He won. Period.
msteelers

Post by msteelers »

JCC wrote:I am still pretty engaged in the MCU. I doubt I will ever be as excited for any MCU movie as I was for Infinity War and Endgame, but I am still enjoying all the content since them (I even enjoyed Eternals). The movie I am most excited for is Deadpool 3 - so I am continually frustrated at the lack of info on that.
Same. Except for the Deadpool 3 hype. I’ll be excited when it’s here, but I’m not anxious for it.

Honestly, I think I’m more excited for the Disney+ shows than many of the movies.
stimpy

Post by stimpy »

You guys are nuts.
For how many years did we wait for good Superhero movies and now that we're getting them you're moaning about too many?
A good movie is a good movie and the MCU has been a nerds goldmine.
A few less than stellar? Sure. But overall we are living in the world the younger versions of ourselves dreamed about.
Enjoy it for what it is.
He/Him/His/Porcupine
Sudy

Post by Sudy »

I like that comics stories have entered into the mainstream, but I was lukewarm on the MCU to begin with. I remember enjoying Robert Downey in the first Iron Man, but the story felt barely superior to a shallow Michael Bay actionfest. Then there's the "too much of a good thing" argument. Oversaturation definitely harmed the first wave of the Disney Star Wars franchise (though I think their response is an overreaction, and part of the problem was also poor planning/storytelling choices).

I thought The Dark Knight was mind-blowing when it first came out. I've heard some say it hasn't aged particularly well, but I don't think anyone can deny Ledger's incredible performance. Beyond that, DC interpretations have of course frequently been a shambles.

But, I was never a comics geek so my opinions may differ. I certainly don't want comic book adaptations to end entirely.

I saw a commercial on late night TV. It said, "Forget everything you know about slipcovers." So I did. And it was a load off my mind. Then the commercial tried to sell me slipcovers, and I didn't know what the hell they were. -- Mitch Hedberg
Pyperkub

Post by Pyperkub »

I've loved what they've done with the Disney series.

WandaVision, Loki, Hawkeye, Ms Marvel.

But especially the latter two in terms of moving forward - Kamala Khan and Kate Bishop are great characters, and I really want to see more of them. I think I've watched Hawkeye three times now.

I still want more guardians movies, we need more silly Chris Pratt movies and I do want a good Fantastic Four movie someday.

I don't particularly need more Eternals/Inhumans tho. That's the point where we stopped watching Agents of Shield, effectively.
Black Lives definitely Matter Lorini!

Also: There are three ways to not tell the truth: lies, damned lies, and statistics.
Hrothgar

Post by Hrothgar »

hepcat wrote: Sun Jul 24, 2022 7:35 am As long as this road they're taking eventually leads to a Paste Pot Pete origin movie, I'm good.
You ain't gonna think life's so funny pal... once I've covered you in paste!
Are you saying that Triple P isn't the leader of the Thunderbolts or just that he need his own sequel or prequel origin movie?
hepcat

Post by hepcat »

Why would an Omega level antihero need a supporting cast?
He won. Period.
Baroquen

Post by Baroquen »

There's a big difference between building your movies and universe around Iron Man, Thor and Cap and churning out content with less established heroes like Moon Knight, the Eternals, Blade, Loki and the like. I still watch and usually enjoy, as I was/am a comic nerd and found a lot of the pervious stuff entertaining. But most of the current phase stuff hasn't done much for me. Looking forward to FF, and Thunderbolts and Deadpool, and the eventual X-Men movie though.
Blackhawk

Post by Blackhawk »

I still enjoy the MCU. But as a person who doesn't know much Marvel beyond the live action stuff, I will say that one big difference is that the first couple of phases were more tied to the familiar than recent material. They mostly took place on or around Earth, and they mostly involved physical threats. The recent stuff has, more and more, become more... abstract? I'm not sure what I'm going for here, but this entire phase has had a strong element of metaphysics/aliens/dimensions/time that makes feeling investment much more difficult. There aren't as many identifiable characters, there isn't really an Everyman, and the threats haven't been the sort that feel immediate and believable. When you have to explain why the threat is threatening, it isn't threatening. I mean, Thor: Love and Thunder involved a threat to...
Spoiler:
Kill all of the gods whom, from an MCU perspective, we've never heard of, never seen, and haven't had any impact whatsoever on what has come before. Oh, and the only time they're shown, they're all huge dicks. Other than "somebody will die", I found myself having to work to care.
Compare that to most of the Phase 1 or Phase 2 villains/threats. Those were threats to our home, threats to people we had come to care about, etc. It's making it harder to get excited for what comes next.
(˙pǝsɹǝʌǝɹ uǝǝq sɐɥ ʎʇıʌɐɹƃ ʃɐuosɹǝd ʎW)
Hrothgar

Post by Hrothgar »

hepcat wrote: Sun Jul 24, 2022 3:35 pm Why would an Omega level antihero need a supporting cast?
For the tagline:

When the Thunderbolts started coming apart at the seams, One Man held them together.
hepcat

Post by hepcat »

Next up: DC needs to start casting for the Matter Eater Lad movie.
He won. Period.
Hyena

Post by Hyena »

Blackhawk wrote: Sun Jul 24, 2022 4:29 pm I still enjoy the MCU. But as a person who doesn't know much Marvel beyond the live action stuff, I will say that one big difference is that the first couple of phases were more tied to the familiar than recent material. They mostly took place on or around Earth, and they mostly involved physical threats. The recent stuff has, more and more, become more... abstract? I'm not sure what I'm going for here, but this entire phase has had a strong element of metaphysics/aliens/dimensions/time that makes feeling investment much more difficult. There aren't as many identifiable characters, there isn't really an Everyman, and the threats haven't been the sort that feel immediate and believable. When you have to explain why the threat is threatening, it isn't threatening. I mean, Thor: Love and Thunder involved a threat to...
Spoiler:
Kill all of the gods whom, from an MCU perspective, we've never heard of, never seen, and haven't had any impact whatsoever on what has come before. Oh, and the only time they're shown, they're all huge dicks. Other than "somebody will die", I found myself having to work to care.
Compare that to most of the Phase 1 or Phase 2 villains/threats. Those were threats to our home, threats to people we had come to care about, etc. It's making it harder to get excited for what comes next.
I get your point, but think about the story-building aspect of the MCU. Every movie has to be bigger, every threat has to be more threatening. If the characters kept just fighting the local villains from down the block, the heroes would stagnate.

"Oh look, Ironman is fighting another guy that wants to steal his tech. Spiderman is fighting another guy who figures out Aunt May is important to him. And look! Doctor Strange is making little hand shields against another sorcerer."

Also, there are a TON of cool storylines in comic book history, most of which even me, a former Spiderman collector, have never heard of. I have been absolutely ASTONISHED at how they have managed to link and unite in a single, cohesive storyline with very few major plot holes over the span of what, 30-something movies? I for one can't wait for the next group of stories, but I know I'm possibly in the minority at this point in time.
"You laugh at me because I'm different; I laugh at you because you're all the same." ~Jonathan Davis

"The object of education is to prepare the young to educate themselves throughout their lives." ~Robert M. Hutchins
Blackhawk

Post by Blackhawk »

I don't disagree about growing threats, but for people who don't know the comics, they're not achieving it. They're creating esoteric threats that most viewers don't 'get' and replacing Captain America and Tony Stark with characters that are difficult to relate to.
Apollo

Post by Apollo »

I finally saw the new Spider-Man movie last weekend and, for the first time in an MCU movie, I felt the writing was a bit too juvenile for my tastes. I'll also agree with some of you that the new movies, characters and storylines do nothing for me (I haven't seen any of the new movies except "Spider Man: No way Home", and I have no interest in seeing any of the others). I don't believe my feelings have anything to do with how many super hero movies have been released since 2000, though.

I think Disney is making a conscious attempt to make the movies more "family-friendly" which is a deal-breaker for me since I have no kids to watch them with. The "multiverse" storyline is also underwhelming compared to what they were doing the first time around. It's like they're moving backwards, going from "The Wrath of Khan" to "Star Trek: The Motion Picture". :grund:

I'm not a fan of the DC movies either, to put it mildly, so I think this is my goodbye to watching superhero movies...At least for the foreseeable future.
pr0ner

Post by pr0ner »

I have a hard time thinking of Zombie Strange, bisexual/homosexual characters in Thor, and an R-rated Blade as "family-friendly".
Hodor.
Apollo

Post by Apollo »

pr0ner wrote: Mon Jul 25, 2022 11:59 am I have a hard time thinking of Zombie Strange, bisexual/homosexual characters in Thor, and an R-rated Blade as "family-friendly".
I've never had any interest in Blade, though I agree that it will likely be written for adults. Bisexual/Homosexual only becomes family-unfriendly when the clothes come off, IMHO... :wink: Besides, I wasn't really talking about subject matter as much as dialogue, pacing and plot. Spider-Man: No Way Home was written for 14yr olds, like most non-bloody action movies these days. And my friends have told me that I can expect more of the same, which is why I'm leaving these movies behind. I just can't muster any more interest, despite the addition of the FF and the XMen, probably my favorite characters in all of Marveldom. :(
Isgrimnur

Post by Isgrimnur »

Apollo wrote: Mon Jul 25, 2022 12:12 pm Spider-Man: No Way Home was written for 14yr olds
The lead characters are ~18.
Apollo

Post by Apollo »

Right, but "Eighth Grade" and "Ladybird" to name two off the top of my head, dealt with teens in a mature fashion. I don't think the supposed age of the cast should affect things that much. But I'm not going to argue this point anymore. I don't mind it when people drop into a thread to say they don't like something then move on, but I hate it when people want to "thread-poop" and endlessly argue why something is "bad" and that everyone should agree with them. I definitely don't want to be THAT guy!

I was simply stating that the movies are moving in the wrong direction, IMHO, and now I'm going to move on. Besides, after watching that last Bond movie, it occurred to me that sometimes movie franchises can change direction and become interesting again. Maybe that will happen for me and the MCU in the future. But right now I simply can't get interested in the new round of MCU movies. :oops:
hepcat

Post by hepcat »

Apollo wrote: Mon Jul 25, 2022 12:12 pm Spider-Man: No Way Home was written for 14yr olds
Are there any big budget superhero films NOT written for 14 year olds? Even Deadpool, with its R rating, is still written for teens. I can't think of a single Marvel or DC blockbuster film that isn't aiming for that same demographic. I'm not saying that in a negative light. We all have 14 year olds in us that want cool action films. I love 'em myself, if they're well written (which I thought No Way Home was).

Even the last Bond film wasn't exactly what I would call a deep film. That franchise is still an action film series in both story and execution.
He won. Period.
Pyperkub

Post by Pyperkub »

Isgrimnur wrote:
The lead characters are ~18.
It's not up to the quality of Homecoming, which has some really good themes it explores.

Captain America and the Winter Soldier also explored some great stuff under the guise of Hydra.

So too did The Falcon and the Winter Soldier, even if it was from a plot perspective one of the most straight forward marvel shows, the themes it explored are very grown up.

Also: There are three ways to not tell the truth: lies, damned lies, and statistics.
Zarathud

Post by Zarathud »

14 year olds aren’t going to understand the TV references in Wandavision. Or the underlying questions about grief, loss and family.

Marvel has been doing a decent job dealing with issues in between those showcase spectacles. There’s constant references to the issues in losing half of humanity in the snap, the consequences of living with the legacy of superheroes. Hawkeye’s prior actions have consequences, as does Black Widow. Falcon and the Winter Soldier is about making an imperfect world better, despite the complicated legacy of the past. Strange and the Multiverse deals with ego, need, and trust of the super-powerful.

They could do more and go deeper, but the MCU usually has several layers — and if you engage with it only as a 14 year old, you’re only touching the surface.
"If the facts don't fit the theory, change the facts." - Albert Einstein
"I don't stand by anything." - Trump
“Bad men need nothing more to compass their ends, than that good men should look on and do nothing.” - John Stuart Mill, Inaugural Address Delivered to the University of St Andrews, 2/1/1867
“It is the impractical things in this tumultuous hell-scape of a world that matter most. A book, a name, chicken soup. They help us remember that, even in our darkest hour, life is still to be savored.” - Poe, Altered Carbon
Grifman

Post by Grifman »

I have a confession to make as a long time Marvel comic/movie fan - I may be getting close to burnout.

That fact is, no characters have grabbed me like Captain America and Iron Man, with perhaps the exception of Spider-Man (the last movie may be my favorite Marvel movie). Black Panther had a chance until the loss of the lead actor, and I really like the new Captain America/Falcon. But I got bored with Moon Knight (never finished the series, the super hero made far too few appearances for a super-hero show) and Ms. Marvel hasn't exactly grabbed me. Dr. Strange is ok, but he was never a favorite of mine, and the latest Thor was better than the worst Thor movie but not up to Ragnarok standards. The Eternals was probably the worst Marvel movie (too many characters too fast, I just didn't care)) and though I liked the lead actor, Shang-chi was just so so (there's a powerful dragon in the lake but no one knows it!). I am looking forward to Daredevil because Charlie Cox did such a great job with the character previously. But I may be reaching my limit - and I just read that the new "The Marvels" movie had a terrible test screening.

So I guess we'll see where it goes from here but i may be reaching my limit in terms of dedication to see EVERY Marvel movie/show going forward. I'm more likely to just watch the characters/stories I'm interested in.
Tolerance is the virtue of the man without convictions. – G.K. Chesterton
Smoove_B

Post by Smoove_B »

I think that's fair - as a fan myself, it does feel like I'm on overload. So far the only really big miss for me has been The Eternals; did not like it at all.

But everything else? Every movie, every Disney+ show -- give me more. To me it's just so awesome to see it all and I can't wait to see what happens when they start re-doing the Netflix properties and start adding in the X-Men...
Maybe next year, maybe no go
Pyperkub

Post by Pyperkub »

A lot of the overload is due to the pandemic delays, FWIW. That lead to a pretty large logjam.

We loved Ms Marvel, and I found the Pakistan/India partition history fascinating.

Also, give the 4 minute "Getting to know Ms Marvel" segment a shot - it's really cool, and made me appreciate the casting and characters a lot more.

Daehawk

Post by Daehawk »

Im meh on all of it. Ive not seen Winter Soldier or anything past that. Not seen Dr Strange. Not seen Deadpool 2 though I pretty much know it from YT videos. Not seen Iron Man 2 or 3 if there is a 3.. Ive not seen anything in years.

But I did see Guardians of the Galaxy 1 & 2 and would be up for a 3 . Covid puts a big damper and any theater thoughts really.

I could go for a full on Witcher movie with Henry. Maybe set in Toussaint.
--------------------------------------------
I am Dyslexic of Borg, prepare to have your ass laminated.
I guess Ray Butts has ate his last pancake.
http://steamcommunity.com/id/daehawk
"Has high IQ. Refuses to apply it"
Unagi

Post by Unagi »

Ha.
Shocking.

You are meh on anything new and you feel perfectly happy with your YT mosaic exposure to anything that might briefly tease your interest.
Isgrimnur

Post by Isgrimnur »

Marvel to ‘change’ Avengers title after guilty Jonathan Majors verdict
[A]ccording to The Hollywood Reporter, this title has been scrapped, and the project will be officially known as Avengers 5 until a new title is decided on. The decision to change the title suggests that Kang will be written out of the franchise as opposed to being recast.
msteelers

Post by msteelers »

I don’t think it’s a lock that the character will be written out. Changing titles isn’t all that unique for marvel. They do it all the time, including Endgame.

I don’t get why people make a big deal about a character being recast. I see online talk brainstorming ways to justify the character looking different. Recasts used to be common and never needed an on screen explanation. If it was referenced at all it was done as a joke.

That said, as much as I’ve enjoyed the Kang stuff it’s landed with a thud to a lot of the general audience. And they are at a perfect point after Loki and Quantumania to let the character fade into the background. I hope they keep up with the storyline, but wouldn’t be surprised if they turn to something new.
Blackhawk

Post by Blackhawk »

They may just not want to keep the attention on the character.

It was waved off when I first suggested it, but I could absolutely see them turning Kang into a lesser villain and moving past him. He's been in (from memory, I could be wrong) exactly one episode of Loki, and one movie. They could still recast him, have his master plan be less significant than originally, and then have them take him down, all within the course of a single film or series. Lots of big comics villains in the MCU seemed like they'd be more, or were much more in the comics. See also: MODOK. The Age of Ultron became the Weekend of Ultron. Baron Strucker. Dormammu. Ego.

Or, they could just leave it behind. They've certainly set up a lot of villainous sub-plots over the years that they never went back to.
msteelers

Post by msteelers »

You should watch the 2nd season of Loki. Kang plays a prominent role there throughout, but could also be an ending for the character (even if it wasn’t intended to be that).