Pet Issue and FN Scummy People

Everything else!

Moderators: Bakhtosh, EvilHomer3k

Octavious

Pet Issue and FN Scummy People

Post by Octavious »

As this might help someone else in a similar situation. Our cat has a lump on her arm. We went to the vet to have it checked and 500 dollars in tests later the doc says it's cancer. Says we should do an x-ray and ultrasound before removing it to make sure everything is okay as it could have spread.

Quotes 900 for the additional checks and 1,700 for the surgery. This is a lump on her arm this seemed a bit excessive. So I request them to send me the results.

I read through it and it clearly says it "could" be cancerous and that if it was it's skin cancer. Which is highly treatable and usually doesn't spread. I then read the blood work that he said looked bad and could see it's just a mild infection and not the horror show he described.

Soooo I decided I don't really trust these people and go to another vet that has great reviews. They take a look at the results and say there's nothing concerning in the blood work and the lump isn't a big deal it can just be removed.

So if I didn't question it I would have spent 2,700 vs the new quote of 500-700...

Turns out the now old vet has two offices and all the good reviews show up on the office I visit. The other office is a horror show of reviews of them price gouging people. Killing animals during surgery and various other horrible things.

Seriously how do these people live with themselves? Moral of the story is double check reviews...Double check the results and if your gut tells you something isn't right you are probably right.

I'm happy and super pissed off at the same time. I'm going to rip the old office apart.
Capitalism tries for a delicate balance: It attempts to work things out so that everyone gets just enough stuff to keep them from getting violent and trying to take other people’s stuff.

Shameless plug for my website: www.nettphoto.com
Octavious

Re: Pet Issue and FN Scummy People

Post by Octavious »

Oh for my NJ peeps the scummy place is Animal Care Center. Office in Landing and one in Flanders. Look up the Flanders one in yelp. Horror show.
Capitalism tries for a delicate balance: It attempts to work things out so that everyone gets just enough stuff to keep them from getting violent and trying to take other people’s stuff.

dbt1949

Post by dbt1949 »

I had a guinea pig one time that had pneumonia. Once a guinea pig gets that it's a death sentence. So they give it some mild antibiotics and asks if they can trim it's toenails.
I said, let's see if it lives first.
Vets area mixed bag. Some are pretty much crooks and others are absolutely great.
Ye Olde Farte
Double Ought Forty
aka dbt1949
Smoove_B

Post by Smoove_B »

Stupid Flanders!

(sorry to hear about your experiences, I've been hearing so many similar stories about places near us via social media. We've been going to the same vet for 22 years now. If you're looking for more options...)
Maybe next year, maybe no go
Octavious

Post by Octavious »

I think the place we found is good, but if it doesn't work out I'll let you know. They were a bit overkill with the COVID procedures, but I guess that's better than lax. They come out to your car and talk to you there an dtake the animal in. Weird but whatever lol.

I just checked and most of the reviews I saw are now gone. Still some horrible ones though. Weird.

Blackhawk

Post by Blackhawk »

Octavious wrote: Tue Jun 28, 2022 7:38 pm Seriously how do these people live with themselves?
In large houses with swimming pools. Being heartless scum helps you get ahead in our society.
(˙pǝsɹǝʌǝɹ uǝǝq sɐɥ ʎʇıʌɐɹƃ ʃɐuosɹǝd ʎW)
Kraken

Post by Kraken »

We have a very good relationship with our vet (who agreed to see Bowie tomorrow, before I go out of state, on very short notice). As their only FIP survivor, Warren is something of a superstar there. We've been going there for 20+ years and they've treated five of our cats now. But we did have a bad experience before we switched to them. We'd been seeing another good vet who was associated with Tufts veterinary school but got taken over by a conglomerate that's all about the lucre. As the only 24/7 veterinary hospital around here, they're still our last resort, and Gus died in a metal cage there after costing us a ridiculous amount of money.

Quality of care and compassion can vary widely, and there's no substitute for good personal recommendations.
Daehawk

Post by Daehawk »

Vets are people and like them are good and bad . Our little chi had a knot come up on his leg when he was older. I think he was like 12..maybe 15. Anyways our vet gave him a shot or two to numb it and cut it out right in the treatment room with us holding him. Never even put him to sleep. They then sent it off for testing. It was not cancer and his leg was fine. Didn't charge much for that either.

Many years ago like the early 90s we got a littler of puppies vax's and their first shots. One feel ill and died the next day. He said to bring it in and he'd do an autopsy to see what may have happened. When we went to pick up its little body to bury here at home the shit had skinned it and claimed it was bruised up and we must have kicked it. Bastard. I wanted to wring his neck.

Some people have no soul while other have the best ones.
--------------------------------------------
I am Dyslexic of Borg, prepare to have your ass laminated.
I guess Ray Butts has ate his last pancake.
http://steamcommunity.com/id/daehawk
"Has high IQ. Refuses to apply it"
Kraken

Post by Kraken »

I've had worse luck with dentists than with vets. (edit) I did not take my pets to dentists.
Jeff V

Post by Jeff V »

Kraken wrote: Tue Jun 28, 2022 11:33 pm I've had worse luck with dentists than with vets. (edit) I did not take my pets to dentists.
So you admit the dentist could have been excellent with pointy teeth and just sucked with flat human ones?

I'm looking for a dentist now -- mine gave up his practice of 30-something years to be a professor (he was also my oldest friend, we'd known each other since kindergarten). The guy who took over his practice is nice enough, but without the personal connection (and friends and family discount), traveling more than an hour each way doesn't make sense. So far my research has consisted asking the subdivision FB group for recommendations. One place was mentioned 3 times, so I think that's the winner.
Black Lives Matter
Carpet_pissr

Post by Carpet_pissr »

To the OP, not just a pet issue, that happens all the time with people, too!