The insurrection committee's public hearings

For discussion of religion and politics

Moderators: LawBeefaroni, $iljanus

Drazzil

Re: The insurrection committee's public hearings

Post by Drazzil »

Alefroth wrote: Fri Jun 17, 2022 1:55 pm
Drazzil wrote: Fri Jun 17, 2022 1:38 pm Theater.
To what end? What do Cheney and Kinzinger get out of it?
They as "outsiders" get to appear as such.
Daehawk wrote:Thats Drazzil's chair damnit.
Alefroth

Post by Alefroth »

That still doesn't make sense. Were they outsiders before this? If so, why would they need to appear as outsiders?
Drazzil

Post by Drazzil »

Unagi wrote: Fri Jun 17, 2022 2:06 pm
Drazzil wrote: Fri Jun 17, 2022 1:38 pm
Unagi wrote: Fri Jun 17, 2022 1:30 pm
Drazzil wrote: Fri Jun 17, 2022 12:25 pm I love how people are talking about and covering the Jan 6 commission breathlessly; as if the conclusions will have any consequences AT ALL. Get it thru your head folks. The Democrats have sold us out. They're smart people, and can read the writing on the wall. They have more in common with the Republicans then us. They will drop some soundbytes, wring their hands and loudly protest, then shuffle to the midterms like a drugged up cow to the chopping block.
If they have sold out what’s the point in the hearings? As in: why would they bother? I don’t follow your conspiracy angle. What’s Liz Cheney doing up there? Selling out?
Theater. The idea that "very serious" people are trying to get to the bottom of things and ideally preventing such things from happening again. It's all a show. The conclusions and verdicts have already been reached. The commission will talk a good game, go thru the motions and by the week after the "judgement"(s) have been handed down; everything will have be forgotten. Its all kabuki, designed to appease what little public outcry resulted from the dry run for the insurrection.

Vapid lip service to those few families of the murdered officers and those few poor fools who still think law and order mean anything to the oglarchy at the top.
When autumn comes and the leaves all change color and then fall to the ground as we hit winter, do you think spring was all just Kabuki?
Thats a rather oxymoronic comparison. Seasons have been scientifically proven to change; whereas the justice system has at least to my observations (at least where the rich and powerful are concerned) completely corrupted.

This commission will grind on. Evidence will be weighed, there will be speeches given in which soundbites will be derived, and at the end of it, convictions will not be agreed upon, or they will not be enforced. The Republicans will shriek, the Dem's will clutch pearls and issue sternly written letters or recommendations and nothing will come of it.
Pyperkub

Post by Pyperkub »

Drazzil wrote: Fri Jun 17, 2022 2:08 pm
Kinzinger has already announced he isn't running for re-election, so it's not that.
Black Lives definitely Matter Lorini!

Also: There are three ways to not tell the truth: lies, damned lies, and statistics.
Alefroth

Post by Alefroth »

That's about as 'outside' as you can get, amirite?
Holman

Post by Holman »

Pyperkub wrote: Fri Jun 17, 2022 3:26 pm
Drazzil wrote: Fri Jun 17, 2022 2:08 pm
Kinzinger has already announced he isn't running for re-election, so it's not that.
And Cheney is polling 30 points behind her primary challenger.
Much prefer my Nazis Nuremberged.
Unagi

Post by Unagi »

Drazzil wrote: Fri Jun 17, 2022 2:23 pm
Unagi wrote: Fri Jun 17, 2022 2:06 pm When autumn comes and the leaves all change color and then fall to the ground as we hit winter, do you think spring was all just Kabuki?
Thats a rather oxymoronic comparison. Seasons have been scientifically proven to change; whereas the justice system has at least to my observations (at least where the rich and powerful are concerned) completely corrupted.
A tree in the spring makes leaves in order to keep the tree alive. The fact that winter is coming doesn't then just lead to a conclusion that winter is in league with spring in some strange theater to keep the tree struggling along.
Don't look too deep into the analogy. The point is just that you can't conclude collusion because a pattern of effort-then-failure can be seen.

Your conclusion of the lack of consequences doesn't automatically mean the public testimony, record, and coverage are without merits or value.

You are sick of the winter, sick of seeing the tree grow leaves in the spring and you think the tree should just die already.

I'm sick of winter too - perhaps the tree will not survive this new climate at all.. but I'm not ready to say that the spring season isn't the best hope it has.

(the tree is our attempt to bring culpability to the justice system)
Last edited by Unagi on Fri Jun 17, 2022 5:30 pm, edited 1 time in total.
malchior

Post by malchior »

So these hearing are mostly reaching people already aware of the danger.

Unagi

Post by Unagi »

malchior wrote: Fri Jun 17, 2022 5:21 pm So these hearing are mostly reaching people already aware of the danger.
Who, IMO, really probably needs to be re-kindled, just to thwart any degree of apathy that may have set in.
Jaymann

Post by Jaymann »

They managed to insert a horse race into the coverage.
Jaymann
]==(:::::::::::::>
Black Lives Matter
dbt1949

Post by dbt1949 »

Smoove_B wrote: Fri Jun 17, 2022 1:14 pm To be clear, wanting to make sure votes are counted and not ignored is not extremist. Making sure women have bodily autonomy isn't extremist. Making sure LBGTQ+ individuals aren't targeted isn't extremist.

The "extremists" are the troglodytes that vote for and support those trying to drag us back into the Dark Ages and/or into some kind of fascist theocracy.
To you and I those ideals are not extremism but to the right wing those who support that are.
Ye Olde Farte
Double Ought Forty
aka dbt1949
Drazzil

Post by Drazzil »

Alefroth wrote: Fri Jun 17, 2022 3:39 pm That's about as 'outside' as you can get, amirite?
I still believe that the Dem's and the R's are colluding just by how the Dem's behave and lie down for every fight that Lucy starts with them, but I don't have any hard evidence then a gut feeling and my own observations.
Unagi

Post by Unagi »

malchior wrote: Fri Jun 17, 2022 5:21 pm So these hearing are mostly reaching people already aware of the danger.

I’ll just point out that one can’t really make that direct conclusion.
Over the last couple years , it’s hard to say who has stopped watching Fox and starting looking for their news elsewhere.

I’m not terribly optimistic, but it makes sense that people (even the previous Fox viewer) may watch this on a different station.
Carpet_pissr

Post by Carpet_pissr »

I already strongly suspected that no one but harder core, left leaning politics followers were watching or paying attention to these. Makes complete sense in the current environment.

Apathy about the whole thing is already pretty high (except for people like us, which is probably a LOT smaller % than we care to admit), and even for those who are sympathetic, and halfway paying attention, it seems like theater (the guy introducing it was just dully reading from a prompter if I am not mistaken). We've already seen most people just skate, and refuse to show, tear up subpoenas, etc. i.e. I think most people expect VERY little punitive resuts from this.
Brian

Post by Brian »

Carpet_pissr wrote: Sat Jun 18, 2022 12:19 pmI think most people expect VERY little punitive resuts from this.
Which is exactly why they should be hammering these people with as many convictions as possible.
Light penalties with no accountability for the "higher ups" just reinforces their resolve to keep going at it.
"Don't believe everything you read on the internet." - Abraham Lincoln
Kraken

Post by Kraken »

Jan. 6 panel could start sharing transcripts with the DOJ in July
WASHINGTON — The House committee investigating the Jan. 6 attack could start sharing some transcripts of witness interviews with federal prosecutors as early as next month as Justice Department officials ratchet up public pressure on the panel to turn over the documents.

Negotiations between Justice Department officials and Timothy Heaphy, the lead investigator for the House panel and a former federal prosecutor, have intensified in recent days as the two sides wrangle over the timing and content of the material to be turned over, according to several people familiar with the talks but not authorized to publicly discuss the matter.

Prosecutors have previously said that the committee planned to publicly release the documents requested in September.

“The select committee is engaged in a cooperative process to address the needs of the Department of Justice,” said a spokesperson for the committee, Tim Mulvey. “We are not inclined to share the details of that publicly. We believe accountability is important and won’t be an obstacle to the department’s prosecutions.”
If Garland is going to charge trump with crimes, he has to do that before trump announces his candidacy for president, probably right after the midterms. Prosecuting a presidential candidate looks even more political than charging a former president.
hepcat

Post by hepcat »

Drazzil wrote: Fri Jun 17, 2022 12:25 pm I love how people are talking about and covering the Jan 6 commission breathlessly; as if the conclusions will have any consequences AT ALL. Get it thru your head folks. The Democrats have sold us out. They're smart people, and can read the writing on the wall. They have more in common with the Republicans then us. They will drop some soundbytes, wring their hands and loudly protest, then shuffle to the midterms like a drugged up cow to the chopping block.
To be fair, it's really just you that we sold out. We had a worldwide meeting last fall and our main focus was how to screw over Drazzil. I voted for sending you a shit ton of pizza deliveries. But apparently they felt that wasn't a strong enough response to you knowing so much about our global endeavor to enslave humanity and outlaw Cadbury Creme Eggs (I WAS able to get that last one pushed through as part of a larger bill on how to screw you over...man, I hate those things).
Covfefe!
Smoove_B

Post by Smoove_B »

In watching the hearings today, it's pretty clear that so much of what ultimately happened regarding the election was apparently tied to various state officials that refused to bow to pressure from Trump and his minions. Thankfully all those same state-level officials are still in office and haven't totally been replaced or undermined since Trump's failed coup in 2020.
Maybe next year, maybe no go
Drazzil

Post by Drazzil »

hepcat wrote: Sun Jun 19, 2022 12:58 pm
To be fair, it's really just you that we sold out. We had a worldwide meeting last fall and our main focus was how to screw over Drazzil. I voted for sending you a shit ton of pizza deliveries. But apparently they felt that wasn't a strong enough response to you knowing so much about our global endeavor to enslave humanity and outlaw Cadbury Creme Eggs (I WAS able to get that last one pushed through as part of a larger bill on how to screw you over...man, I hate those things).
lol!
LawBeefaroni
Forum Moderator

Post by LawBeefaroni »

The hearings were on in the gym lockerroom today and a guy I don't know turned to me and said, "You believe this guy? Trump wanted to hang him and he's still sucking Trump's dick. And Trump is still talking shit about him and Pence says Biden is not President. If somebody tries to hang me, I ain't their friend no more, you can be sure of that! These guys are all Republicans saying it was insurrection and the idiots [MAGA faithful] still don't believe it!

Pence wasn't on the TV when this outburst happened but I did nod my head.
" Hey OP, listen to my advice alright." -Tha General
"No scientific discovery is named after its original discoverer." -Stigler's Law of Eponymy, discovered by Robert K. Merton

MYT
geezer

Post by geezer »

hepcat wrote: Sun Jun 19, 2022 12:58 pm To be fair, it's really just you that we sold out. We had a worldwide meeting last fall and our main focus was how to screw over Drazzil. I voted for sending you a shit ton of pizza deliveries. But apparently they felt that wasn't a strong enough response to you knowing so much about our global endeavor to enslave humanity and outlaw Cadbury Creme Eggs (I WAS able to get that last one pushed through as part of a larger bill on how to screw you over...man, I hate those things).
Seriously.. just.. just.. fuck right off with that, you farging icehole.
Alefroth

Post by Alefroth »

LawBeefaroni wrote: Tue Jun 21, 2022 2:45 pm The hearings were on in the gym lockerroom today and a guy I don't know turned to me and said, "You believe this guy? Trump wanted to hang him and he's still sucking Trump's dick. And Trump is still talking shit about him and Pence says Biden is not President. If somebody tries to hang me, I ain't their friend no more, you can be sure of that! These guys are all Republicans saying it was insurrection and the idiots [MAGA faithful] still don't believe it!

Pence wasn't on the TV when this outburst happened but I did nod my head.
Seems like he's more upset at Pence for still being Trump's friend, than at Trump for trying to hang him. Classic victim blaming behavior.
LawBeefaroni
Forum Moderator

Post by LawBeefaroni »

I think he just couldn't believe that Pence was still conciliatory towards, and maybe even supportive of, Trump. I mentioned it was like Ted Cruz and he went into another tirade.
"No scientific discovery is named after its original discoverer." -Stigler's Law of Eponymy, discovered by Robert K. Merton

MYT
hepcat

Post by hepcat »

geezer wrote: Tue Jun 21, 2022 2:59 pm
hepcat wrote: Sun Jun 19, 2022 12:58 pm To be fair, it's really just you that we sold out. We had a worldwide meeting last fall and our main focus was how to screw over Drazzil. I voted for sending you a shit ton of pizza deliveries. But apparently they felt that wasn't a strong enough response to you knowing so much about our global endeavor to enslave humanity and outlaw Cadbury Creme Eggs (I WAS able to get that last one pushed through as part of a larger bill on how to screw you over...man, I hate those things).
I feel like if I'd substituted "black licorice" for the eggs, everyone would have just nodded and said to themselves, "Yeah...that's about right".
Covfefe!
hepcat

Post by hepcat »

Back on topic: On the way to lunch, I caught some of the hearings as they're being broadcast on NPR live. If you haven't come across Ruby Freeman's story yet, it will break your heart. It will also make you realize that orange piece of shit that tries to convince everyone that he's actually a human being should be catapulted into space, along with his entire klan of followers. :x

Sorry...but goddamnit that testimony from Ruby and her daughter was just infuriating. Trump actually called her out by name on his "big lie tour 2020" and called her a professional scammer and a criminal.
Covfefe!
malchior

Post by malchior »

It doesn't sound like victim blaming to me (second hand as it is). In any case, i cant spend too many cycles on understanding Pence.

He was an obsequious henchman to the worst President in American history. His claim to fame is he wouldn't steal an election?! Swell. He still shrugged at and enabled plenty of law breaking. He did terrible, evil, and harmful things as VP and Governor. Weigh all he has said and done and I just bin him as another in a long line of sociopathic leaders this country has spit out. I personally can't care about figuring out what weird loyalties or values a shitheel like him ascribes to. It's a waste of time. Fuck him.
malchior

Post by malchior »

hepcat wrote: Tue Jun 21, 2022 4:30 pmSorry...but goddamnit that testimony from Ruby and her daughter was just infuriating. Trump actually called her out by name on his "big lie tour 2020" and called her a professional scammer and a criminal.
Right!? It is a miracle Trump didn't get more people killed. Also the Rusty Bower testimony was very powerful. I didn't realize the extent to which Trump pressured anyone beyond Raffensberg personally before today. Once you've heard Bowers describe his interaction and then hear the Raffensberg call...it is indisputable - the guy is guilty.

Several lawsplainers expressed that it is certain he committed crimes at this point. Some are incredulous that Fulton County charges haven't dropped. Maybe due to a waiting game on main DOJ. Whatever the case, soon we will find out if we are a rule of law nation or not.
Alefroth

Post by Alefroth »

malchior wrote: Tue Jun 21, 2022 4:32 pm It doesn't sound like victim blaming to me (second hand as it is). In any case, i cant spend too many cycles on understanding Pence.

He was an obsequious henchman to the worst President in American history. His claim to fame is he wouldn't steal an election?! Swell. He still shrugged at and enabled plenty of law breaking. He did terrible, evil, and harmful things as VP and Governor. Weigh all he has said and done and I just bin him as another in a long line of sociopathic leaders this country has spit out. I personally can't care about figuring out what weird loyalties or values a shitheel like him ascribes to. It's a waste of time. Fuck him.
You don't have to be a good person to be a victim.
malchior

Post by malchior »

Alefroth wrote: Tue Jun 21, 2022 4:50 pm
malchior wrote: Tue Jun 21, 2022 4:32 pm It doesn't sound like victim blaming to me (second hand as it is). In any case, i cant spend too many cycles on understanding Pence.

You don't have to be a good person to be a victim.
Of course not but it still isn't "victim blaming" to openly wonder what the heck is wrong with Pence for seemingly not caring. It also isn't mutually exclusive with being angry with Trump.
Unagi

Post by Unagi »

Have I missed where Pence had recently praised Trump or something?
Pyperkub

Post by Pyperkub »

LawBeefaroni wrote: Tue Jun 21, 2022 4:12 pm I think he just couldn't believe that Pence was still conciliatory towards, and maybe even supportive of, Trump. I mentioned it was like Ted Cruz and he went into another tirade.
Pence made a lot of money for selling his soul. Now that he has no soul, why not keep making money?
Black Lives definitely Matter Lorini!

Also: There are three ways to not tell the truth: lies, damned lies, and statistics.
LawBeefaroni
Forum Moderator

Post by LawBeefaroni »

Unagi wrote: Tue Jun 21, 2022 7:21 pm Have I missed where Pence had recently praised Trump or something?
Just yesterday in Chicago:
The Indiana Republican repeatedly praised the work of the “Trump-Pence” administration — just days after his former chief of staff and White House counsel testified before the House January 6 Committee that President Donald Trump had repeatedly pressured Pence to delay or reject the certification of President-elect Joe Biden’s victory, something Pence refused to do.

Pence is also doing his best to separate himself from January 6, which is fresh in the minds of Americans after hours of testimony featured on television. In his speech, Pence called January 6 “a tragic day in our nation’s capital” and called the 2020 election “divisive.”

On Monday, Pence did his best to shift the attention to what he sees as Trump’s strengths and Biden’s weaknesses, lamenting that the work done during the previous administration is being undone. Pence blamed the Democratic president for everything from a rise in gas and food prices, to low wages, a failing stock market, high rent and the baby formula shortage.

“That confidence and pride that were once synonymous with the American people in recent years has been replaced with fear and a national anxiety,” Pence said. “So let me say, to quote the old book, ‘Fear is useless.’ What is needed is leadership grounded in American values.”

He's running a longshot campaign and knows he will need Trump's support. It's insane but there we are.

MYT
gbasden

Post by gbasden »

hepcat wrote: Tue Jun 21, 2022 4:25 pm
I feel like if I'd substituted "black licorice" for the eggs, everyone would have just nodded and said to themselves, "Yeah...that's about right".
I mean, duh. Cadbury eggs have some intrinsic value, but black licorice is just pretend candy that tastes like Satan's asshole.
hepcat

Post by hepcat »

gbasden wrote: Tue Jun 21, 2022 8:23 pm tastes like Satan's asshole.
I’ve…uh…never had the pleasure?
Covfefe!
Blackhawk

Post by Blackhawk »

hepcat wrote: Tue Jun 21, 2022 4:25 pm
geezer wrote: Tue Jun 21, 2022 2:59 pm
"Cadbury Cream Eggs are nasty", he typed as he, quite literally, chewed on a piece of black licorice.
(˙pǝsɹǝʌǝɹ uǝǝq sɐɥ ʎʇıʌɐɹƃ ʃɐuosɹǝd ʎW)
hepcat

Post by hepcat »

Ugh, you actually like black licorice? Have you seen anyone about this?
Covfefe!
Blackhawk

Post by Blackhawk »

hepcat wrote: Tue Jun 21, 2022 9:10 pm Ugh, you actually like black licorice? Have you seen anyone about this?
It's my #1 candy. Above even chocolate. As a child, I even had licorice flavored toothpaste. And yes, the black jellybeans are the best jellybeans.
LawBeefaroni
Forum Moderator

Post by LawBeefaroni »

Blackhawk wrote: Tue Jun 21, 2022 9:34 pm
hepcat wrote: Tue Jun 21, 2022 9:10 pm Ugh, you actually like black licorice? Have you seen anyone about this?
It's my #1 candy. Above even chocolate. As a child, I even had licorice flavored toothpaste. And yes, the black jellybeans are the best jellybeans.
Best and always available because no one else want them. Win/win. But everything in moderation.

MYT
hepcat

Post by hepcat »

You people are sick and you need help.
Covfefe!
Blackhawk

Post by Blackhawk »

LawBeefaroni wrote: Tue Jun 21, 2022 9:39 pm
Blackhawk wrote: Tue Jun 21, 2022 9:34 pm
Best and always available because no one else want them. Win/win. But everything in moderation.
Which is why so much commercial licorice is actually anise flavored.