[Amazon tv] Reacher

Everything else!

Moderators: Bakhtosh, EvilHomer3k

Kraken

Re: [Amazon tv] Reacher

Post by Kraken »

Daehawk wrote: Tue Apr 30, 2024 4:26 pm Good. I like him more now too. Hate when my heroes or people I like are tarnished in my eyes but really love it when its the opposite.
Because we have Paramount+ temporarily to catch up on Star Trek, I asked Wife if she wanted to see the new Frasier show. I don't care about it myself but she was a big fan of the old one. To my surprise she can't stand to watch it because Kelsey Grammar has some reprehensible qualities that I knew nothing about.
Daehawk

Post by Daehawk »

Hmm..I dont know them and dont want to. My wife loved the original Frasier and watched it through two or three times. Dont want to hear of anything that could smudge my memories of her loving it.
--------------------------------------------
I am Dyslexic of Borg, prepare to have your ass laminated.
I guess Ray Butts has ate his last pancake.
http://steamcommunity.com/id/daehawk
"Has high IQ. Refuses to apply it"
Jeff V

Post by Jeff V »

Blackhawk wrote: Tue Apr 30, 2024 2:58 pm I've only read the first book, but the series captured the character much better than the films did.

And I still say that Reacher (at least S1 - I haven't seen 2) is the best on-screen representation of a high-functioning autistic person I've seen. And yes, I'm talking about Jack Reacher himself.
Might have something to do with Tom Cruise being the antithesis of the oft-described Reacher from the books. The series actor is spot-on. And you are right about the autistic part, although the books never explicitly explore this.
Black Lives Matter
Blackhawk

Post by Blackhawk »

Jeff V wrote: Wed May 01, 2024 10:37 pm
Blackhawk wrote: Tue Apr 30, 2024 2:58 pm I've only read the first book, but the series captured the character much better than the films did.

And I still say that Reacher (at least S1 - I haven't seen 2) is the best on-screen representation of a high-functioning autistic person I've seen. And yes, I'm talking about Jack Reacher himself.
Might have something to do with Tom Cruise being the antithesis of the oft-described Reacher from the books. The series actor is spot-on. And you are right about the autistic part, although the books never explicitly explore this.
Nor does the show, which is what makes it such a good representation. This is a strong character with autistic qualities that simply show as quirks of his personality (just like real autists.) Most other representations of autism, even the good ones, have characters whose primary function is to have autism. Every time they're active as a character, the topic is autism.

I'd say that the next closest might be Abed from Community. His quirks are still what his character is about, but that can be said for almost every character in the show, so he isn't being singled out for being different.
(˙pǝsɹǝʌǝɹ uǝǝq sɐɥ ʎʇıʌɐɹƃ ʃɐuosɹǝd ʎW)