[Disney+] Ms. Marvel

Everything else!

Moderators: Bakhtosh, EvilHomer3k

JCC

Re: [Disney+] Ms. Marvel

Post by JCC »

This week's episode was probably my favorite so far.

(Pretty generic spoiler, but it does reveal a minor detail.)
Spoiler:
Finally the show has villains!
Black Lives Matter

"You know, the very powerful and the very stupid have one thing in common: they don't alter their views to fit the facts; they alter the facts to fit their views." - The 4th Doctor
AWS260

Post by AWS260 »

Another good episode this week. Loved
Spoiler:
the wedding scene - so joyous. And I noticed that one of the creators of Ms. Marvel, Sana Amanat, was in the scene as a wedding guest.

I also really liked her exhange on the porch with Sheikh Abdullah, and her father's words of advice to her brother. This show does the small moments so well.
I was confused by
Spoiler:
the villains' heel turn. I mean, it was pretty clear they were going to be villains, but their urgency and impatience made no sense. They've been trapped on Earth for centuries, and they can't wait one more night? Maybe I missed the explanation, but it felt artificially rushed.
EvilHomer3k
Forum Moderator

Post by EvilHomer3k »

My wife dropped out halfway through the second episode. Felt it was aimed at teens a bit too much. I finished the episode but I'm also getting an iCarly x Marvel vibe. Maybe the third episode will be better but so far it's been a bit too much iCarly and not enough Marvel for me.
That sound of the spoon scraping over the can ribbing as you corral the last ravioli or two is the signal that a great treat is coming. It's the washboard solo in God's own
bluegrass band of comfort food. - LawBeefaroni
stimpy

Post by stimpy »

JCC wrote: Wed Jun 22, 2022 3:23 pm This week's episode was probably my favorite so far.

(Pretty generic spoiler, but it does reveal a minor detail.)
Spoiler:
Finally the show has villains!
Spoiler:
Villains so strong and powerful that they were taken into custody with no problem whatsoever!!!
He/Him/His/Porcupine
hepcat

Post by hepcat »

My only issue is that
Spoiler:
The villains who had been stuck here for 100 years or more resorted to violence about 22 minutes after their initial attempt to peacefully coerce our hero into helping them. Sheesh, you’d think patience would be in their nature after the first couple of decades.

Edit: whoops….what AWS said. :oops:
Covfefe!
Hrothgar

Post by Hrothgar »

I'm guessing that
Spoiler:
In the myths, Djinn were quite impatient and had mean tempers. Often, they were depicted as both ancient and childlike. It seems like that's what they were going for, but a couple of lines of exposition would have helped here.
They could have even worked it into the father's Urdu translation.
I'm not sure kids today know about iCarly, but I hear there is a revival series.
AWS260

Post by AWS260 »

I loved this week's episode. It was a big swing, and boy did it work.
msteelers

[Disney+] Ms. Marvel

Post by msteelers »

My biggest issue with this show is the pacing. I feel like the last two episodes have tried to do too much. There’s no room for the show to breathe, and that’s making the emotional impacts from the action on screen not hit for me.

Everything with the bad guys has been very weak. Maybe this last episode will put some of their actions in perspective, but it feels like the only thing left for the show to do is get Kamala at a point where she can show up in The Marvels.
Hamlet3145

Post by Hamlet3145 »

My comment for the latest episode is:

Spoiler:

Enlarge Image

:wub: :wub: :wub:
AWS260

Post by AWS260 »

msteelers wrote: Fri Jul 08, 2022 7:42 am My biggest issue with this show is the pacing. I feel like the last two episodes have tried to do too much. There’s no room for the show to breathe, and that’s making the emotional impacts from the action on screen not hit for me.

Everything with the bad guys has been very weak. Maybe this last episode will put some of their actions in perspective, but it feels like the only thing left for the show to do is get Kamala at a point where she can show up in The Marvels.
My wife feels the same way about the pacing. I felt it in the previous week's episode, but this week I was totally sucked in. It probably helped that I had a beer beforehand.

I agree about the bad guys, but everything else is so good that it doesn't matter that much to me.

It seems like they're setting up for a finale that's
Spoiler:
Kamala coming into the fullness of her power and fighting the Department of Damage Control. Which sounds a lot more bland and boring than her adventure in Karachi, but who knows.
Hrothgar

Post by Hrothgar »

I mean if they don't
Spoiler:
have Captain Marvel show up. It seems like a wasted opportunity. They have Kamala's fan love. The bangle seems Kree (or at least taken off a Kree arm). And you've got The Marvels coming up.

I would expect a small victory but setting up the bigger conflict for the movie.

I have no idea what Najma passed on to Kamran or how she did it. Thoughts?
So far it's been good not great. I like the style and the characters, but the plot has been . . . meh.
AWS260

Post by AWS260 »

Hrothgar wrote: Fri Jul 08, 2022 4:37 pm
Spoiler:
I have no idea what Najma passed on to Kamran or how she did it. Thoughts?
Spoiler:
When the power manifested on his hand it looked a lot like Kamala's, but a different color. I guess he can be... Mr. Marvel?

I have no idea.
JCC

Post by JCC »

Hrothgar wrote: Fri Jul 08, 2022 4:37 pm So far it's been good not great. I like the style and the characters, but the plot has been . . . meh.
Completely agree. I like it, but it's my least favorite of the D+ Marvel shows for sure.
Black Lives Matter

"You know, the very powerful and the very stupid have one thing in common: they don't alter their views to fit the facts; they alter the facts to fit their views." - The 4th Doctor
AWS260

Post by AWS260 »

I've been surprised at how much I've liked all the Disney+ Marvel shows so far. It's a real credit to Kevin Feige.

I'd put Hawkeye, Ms. Marvel, and WandaVision in my top tier, then Moon Knight and Loki, with Falcon & Winter Soldier and What If at the back of the pack. But even those latter shows I've really enjoyed.
raydude

Post by raydude »

My family and I love this series so far. We love the setting, the incorporation of music, and Pakistani culture into the scenes. And I'm biased but I do like seeing other cultures in general represented in the Marvel universe. Particularly this one, which is not African American, nor Asian, but something different that doesn't usually get shown.
AWS260

Post by AWS260 »

Well, it is Asian. But I know what you mean.
Blackhawk

Post by Blackhawk »

I'm really, really enjoying the cultural elements of the show.
(˙pǝsɹǝʌǝɹ uǝǝq sɐɥ ʎʇıʌɐɹƃ ʃɐuosɹǝd ʎW)
msteelers

Post by msteelers »

Blackhawk wrote:I'm really, really enjoying the cultural elements of the show.
Same here. It’s a culture I know very little of. I hadn’t even heard of Partition before this show.
Smoove_B

Post by Smoove_B »

msteelers wrote: Sat Jul 09, 2022 12:47 pm
Blackhawk wrote:I'm really, really enjoying the cultural elements of the show.
Same here. It’s a culture I know very little of.
I'd be happy to clarify anything about NJ.
I hadn’t even heard of Partition before this show.
Oh, right. Sorry.
Maybe next year, maybe no go
Blackhawk

Post by Blackhawk »

Smoove_B wrote: Sat Jul 09, 2022 12:59 pm I'd be happy to clarify anything about NJ.
Believe it or not, I'd love to spend a month in NJ (and NY, and Atlanta, and New Orleans, and SF, and...) just to learn the culture first hand. That's one place thing Americans often fail to realize - we're not a single, homogeneous group, and things start making a lot more sense when you think of different regions as being fundamentally different cultures. This skews into R&P (and there are certain ethical lines at which it stops), but getting stressed because Atlanta doesn't act like New York is like getting stressed because Germany doesn't act like France.
(˙pǝsɹǝʌǝɹ uǝǝq sɐɥ ʎʇıʌɐɹƃ ʃɐuosɹǝd ʎW)
Smoove_B

Post by Smoove_B »

What's interesting is that the location for Ms. Marvel (Jersey City) is one of the most culturally diverse communities in the entire United States.

It's where I was born and where my parents are from, though things have changed considerably since we moved out in the mid 1970s. :wink:
Zarathud

Post by Zarathud »

I agree with you AMS, the show has been great at the small moments between the characters.
"If the facts don't fit the theory, change the facts." - Albert Einstein
"I don't stand by anything." - Trump
“Bad men need nothing more to compass their ends, than that good men should look on and do nothing.” - John Stuart Mill, Inaugural Address Delivered to the University of St Andrews, 2/1/1867
“It is the impractical things in this tumultuous hell-scape of a world that matter most. A book, a name, chicken soup. They help us remember that, even in our darkest hour, life is still to be savored.” - Poe, Altered Carbon
Smoove_B

Post by Smoove_B »

Not sure if anyone else has watched it yet but yeah, pretty big reveal.
Spoiler:
Mutants are officially in the MCU now
I enjoyed this show. It wasn't my favorite, but it was well done. I really didn't think Disney+ was going to continue to deliver excellent content, but they've genuinely surprised me with consistency in both the Marvel stuff and the Star Wars offerings. I'm definitely more of a Marvel fan so these shows have more value to me and this one was a great addition to the universe.
hepcat

Post by hepcat »

Smoove_B wrote: Wed Jul 13, 2022 2:22 pm they've genuinely surprised me with consistency in both the Marvel stuff and the Star Wars offerings.
Vroom vroom, you're in Cyber Newsies territory now!

Covfefe!
Smoove_B

Post by Smoove_B »

I parkour'd right into that one.

EDIT: Also, there's a post-credit scene and I have no idea what it means.
hepcat

Post by hepcat »

I'm enjoying Ms. Marvel just because it's so sweet natured and innocent. It's a pleasant change of pace after the cynicism of so many other shows I watch. However, my exposure to so much cynicism (which I'm not really complaining about as many great shows are born out of cynicism) also makes me constantly wonder if they'll ever discuss the heavily misogynistic aspects of her culture. A young woman acting and dressing the way she does would not be terribly welcomed in many places in Pakistan especially. And since this show has the potential to reach so many young people from that demographic, it might help to change some minds and hearts.

Of course, it could also just exist as a positive message of hope without delving into the realities of the world, I guess. That might also be a good thing.
Covfefe!
msteelers

Post by msteelers »

Smoove_B wrote:Not sure if anyone else has watched it yet but yeah, pretty big reveal.
Spoiler:
Mutants are officially in the MCU now
I enjoyed this show. It wasn't my favorite, but it was well done. I really didn't think Disney+ was going to continue to deliver excellent content, but they've genuinely surprised me with consistency in both the Marvel stuff and the Star Wars offerings. I'm definitely more of a Marvel fan so these shows have more value to me and this one was a great addition to the universe.
The music during the reveal got me good. Unfortunately I was spoiled by a damn video title on YouTube.

Overall, the storyline was meh for this show. But the characters are great. Hopefully we’ll see a lot more of them.
hepcat

Post by hepcat »

I was hoping for a Kingpin appearance. :(
Covfefe!
AWS260

Post by AWS260 »

A very satisfying finale! As a Ms. Marvel fan, the absolute highlight to was of course
Spoiler:
"Embiggen."
Spoiler:
I thought the mutant tease was fun and well-done. I actually enjoyed it more than seeing Prof. X in the Dr. Strange movie.

I know there are some fanboy purists complaining that they've deviated from her Inhumans origin from the comics, but that's just dumb. Kamala Khan was originally intended to be a mutant in the comics. She ended up an Inhuman because at the time she debuted, Marvel's powers-that-be were pushing Inhumans hard - because they didn't have the film rights to the X-Men!
hepcat wrote: Wed Jul 13, 2022 3:33 pm I'm enjoying Ms. Marvel just because it's so sweet natured and innocent. It's a pleasant change of pace after the cynicism of so many other shows I watch. However, my exposure to so much cynicism (which I'm not really complaining about as many great shows are born out of cynicism) also makes me constantly wonder if they'll ever discuss the heavily misogynistic aspects of her culture. A young woman acting and dressing the way she does would not be terribly welcomed in many places in Pakistan especially. And since this show has the potential to reach so many young people from that demographic, it might help to change some minds and hearts.
I don't know much about Pakistani culture, but I'm confident that the showrunners do. I would much rather see the elements of that culture that don't get exposure in the West - like cosmopolitan Karachi - than a setting that feeds into existing stereotypes.
hepcat

Post by hepcat »

AWS260 wrote: Thu Jul 14, 2022 2:17 pm than a setting that feeds into existing stereotypes.
Just to be clear, I did add the caveat:
Of course, it could also just exist as a positive message of hope without delving into the realities of the world, I guess. That might also be a good thing.
However, I don't think we should trivialize the very real danger women face in Pakistan by downplaying that simply as a "stereotype". It's the 6th most dangerous country in the world for women. Honor killings, rape, domestic abuse...it's all well documented and utterly horrific

Again, I'm not saying Ms. Marvel SHOULD tackle violence against women in Pakistan. Simply being a positive representation of a Muslim community, and a Muslim family, in the United States is a good thing. However, I simply mused that tackling the very real danger women face every day in Pakistan at any level might also be beneficial. Especially since the show is already tackling some political/societal topics like the treatment of Muslims post 9/11, the Partition of India, etc..
Covfefe!
Max Peck

Post by Max Peck »

Smoove_B wrote: Wed Jul 13, 2022 3:14 pm EDIT: Also, there's a post-credit scene and I have no idea what it means.
Spoiler:
You mean the one where Kamala and Captain Marvel appear to teleport and swap places? Presumably that's the set-up for The Marvels.
"What? What? What?" -- The 14th Doctor

It's not enough to be a good player... you also have to play well. -- Siegbert Tarrasch
Smoove_B

Post by Smoove_B »

Yes, that's the one. Interesting theory.

Also, I was not consulted on this article, covering the most and least accurate depictions of Jersey City. :wink:
hepcat

Post by hepcat »

Wait, Jersey’s real? I thought they just made that up for the show?
Covfefe!
Smoove_B

Post by Smoove_B »

Enlarge Image
hepcat

Post by hepcat »

Next you’re going to try and tell me there’s such a thing as a “Bawn Chovi”.
Covfefe!
A nonny mouse

Post by A nonny mouse »

Max Peck wrote: Fri Jul 15, 2022 3:39 pm
Smoove_B wrote: Wed Jul 13, 2022 3:14 pm EDIT: Also, there's a post-credit scene and I have no idea what it means.
Spoiler:
You mean the one where Kamala and Captain Marvel appear to teleport and swap places? Presumably that's the set-up for The Marvels.
Just after the cut scene it was written:
Spoiler:
”see more of ms. Marvel in the upcoming Marvels”

Or something similar.
I find television very educational. Every time somebody turns on the set, I go into the other room and read a book. - Groucho Marx
Smoove_B

Post by Smoove_B »

Right, I'd seen that I just didn't understand what the hell happened.
hepcat

Post by hepcat »

I tend to agree with the theory that we're looking at the MCU equivalent of
Spoiler:
The Nega Bands
The Nega-Bands were once worn by superhero sidekick Rick Jones. When he wore them he essentially became the alter-ego of Captain Marvel. The bands allowed Rick to swap places with Mar-Vell. But whoever wasn’t wearing them would be stuck in the Negative Zone, “an anti-matter continuum that exists alongside the continuum Earth occupies.”
Covfefe!
JCC

Post by JCC »

Yeah I had to read about what was going on in the post credits scene. Sounds interesting.

I thought the final episode was (by far) the best epiosde of the series. Having said that, while I enjoyed the show and liked all the characters, it was my least favorite Marvel show so far. That's ok, there always has to be a last place...
Black Lives Matter

hentzau

Post by hentzau »

hepcat wrote: Sat Jul 16, 2022 2:34 pm I tend to agree with the theory that we're looking at the MCU equivalent of
Spoiler:
The Nega Bands
The Nega-Bands were once worn by superhero sidekick Rick Jones. When he wore them he essentially became the alter-ego of Captain Marvel. The bands allowed Rick to swap places with Mar-Vell. But whoever wasn’t wearing them would be stuck in the Negative Zone, “an anti-matter continuum that exists alongside the continuum Earth occupies.”
Spoiler:
This was my assumption from the very first time we saw the bangle the first time, that it was going to be one of them. I'm a big old Captain Marvel fanboy from WAY back. And I love this idea, of it being the gateway into the Negative Zone. Cause, seriously...give me a modern take on Anhillus and I'll be a happy fanboy.
And I really, really liked this series. I liked the characters, the setting, the glimpses of the culture...everything about it. I'll buck the trend and say that it was probably one of my favorite of the D+ series. Ranked up there with WandVision and Hawkeye for me.
“We can never allow Murania to become desecrated by the presence of surface people. Our lives are serene, our minds are superior, our accomplishments greater. Gene Autry must be captured!!!” - Queen Tika, The Phantom Empire