Training Day

Everything else!

Moderators: Bakhtosh, EvilHomer3k

Grifman

Training Day

Post by Grifman »

Apparently, cargo containers holding mail order shipments are easily broken into and ransacked as trains slow down to enter certain areas. If you are missing your stuff, it may be here:

PS who knew that railroad companies had their own private police force?
Tolerance is the virtue of the man without convictions. – G.K. Chesterton
LordMortis

Re: Training Day

Post by LordMortis »

:shock:

Crazy. Now I want to know more.
Blackhawk

Post by Blackhawk »

I'm just surprised that the locals aren't out in force picking through the detritus. There is a lot of ebay money lying out there.
(˙pǝsɹǝʌǝɹ uǝǝq sɐɥ ʎʇıʌɐɹƃ ʃɐuosɹǝd ʎW)
LawBeefaroni
Forum Moderator

Post by LawBeefaroni »

Blackhawk wrote: Fri Jan 14, 2022 9:27 am I'm just surprised that the locals aren't out in force picking through the detritus. There is a lot of ebay money lying out there.
Guessing it's still a crime to take the debris. Assuming that the "good" stuff was already taken, the risk-reward for true criminals and ebay flippers alike isn't viable.

Remember that time they parked a train full of semiauto rifles in Englewood?
" Hey OP, listen to my advice alright." -Tha General
"No scientific discovery is named after its original discoverer." -Stigler's Law of Eponymy, discovered by Robert K. Merton

MYT
dbt1949

Post by dbt1949 »

My dad used to work that train yard and others in the neighborhood. He would go armed.
Ye Olde Farte
Double Ought Forty
aka dbt1949
Smoove_B

Post by Smoove_B »

More info about what's happening:
However, one major development that may be directly correlated with the rise in theft has continuously been left out: In September of 2020, due to pandemic-related budget cuts, Union Pacific laid off an unspecified number of employees across the railroad system. Including members of its railroad-only police force. Despite record profits in the billions in the last quarter of 2021.

A Union Pacific worker, who asked to remain nameless, came forward to L.A. TACO. In their opinion, the company should “shoulder some of the responsibility instead of just pointing fingers.”

The Union Pacific Police department has jurisdiction over the 32,000 miles of track Union Pacific owns. Many of these “special agents” used to patrol this now infamous stretch of track. According to the source, the number of patrolling officers has been cut from 50 to 60 agents to eight, which the worker thinks has led to an increase in train robberies.
Maybe next year, maybe no go
Grifman

Post by Grifman »

Thanks for the additional info.
Tolerance is the virtue of the man without convictions. – G.K. Chesterton
Isgrimnur

Post by Isgrimnur »

It's almost as if people are the problem.