NFL 2022 Season

Everything else!

Moderators: Bakhtosh, EvilHomer3k

RunningMn9

Re: NFL 2022 Season

Post by RunningMn9 »

El Guapo wrote:I guess I keep hearing buzz about him with regards to head coaching positions. But of course it's true that he hasn't been linked to any actual offers since the Colts shit show.
You do, but unless a team announces that they’ve made a request, most of the time that’s just the coach’s agent getting it out there that their client is in demand. He did interview last year if I remember, but in some cases teams might interview him just to say they did, and move on.

What he did to the Colts is gonna be talked about, he sucked as a HC in Denver, and literally every HC from the BB coaching tree has been trash and gets fired again in 2-3 years.

Although I think what happened to Flores was garbage, he did not deserve to be fired. He is not the one that put that offensive line and QB on the field (and trade away half the farm to do it).
And in banks across the world
Christians, Moslems, Hindus, Jews
And every other race, creed, colour, tint or hue
Get down on their knees and pray
The raccoon and the groundhog neatly
Make up bags of change
But the monkey in the corner
Well he's slowly drifting out of range
Jaymann

Post by Jaymann »

All I could find was that McDaniels "rejected" the Colts. Why was this such a shit show?
Jaymann
]==(:::::::::::::>
Black Lives Matter
Hrothgar

Post by Hrothgar »

Jaymann wrote: Fri Jan 14, 2022 3:21 pm All I could find was that McDaniels "rejected" the Colts. Why was this such a shit show?
He actually accepted the job, started putting his staff together and then changed his mind to stay with the Pats. This forced Indy to quickly regroup after most other coaching hires had been made.

Also, of note, Frank Reich is famous for screwing over Houston. Feature, not a bug.
Jaymann

Post by Jaymann »

Reich was doing a stellar job until he got jacked by the Jags.
Jaymann
Black Lives Matter
El Guapo

Post by El Guapo »

RunningMn9 wrote: Fri Jan 14, 2022 3:13 pm
El Guapo wrote:I guess I keep hearing buzz about him with regards to head coaching positions. But of course it's true that he hasn't been linked to any actual offers since the Colts shit show.
You do, but unless a team announces that they’ve made a request, most of the time that’s just the coach’s agent getting it out there that their client is in demand. He did interview last year if I remember, but in some cases teams might interview him just to say they did, and move on.

What he did to the Colts is gonna be talked about, he sucked as a HC in Denver, and literally every HC from the BB coaching tree has been trash and gets fired again in 2-3 years.

Although I think what happened to Flores was garbage, he did not deserve to be fired. He is not the one that put that offensive line and QB on the field (and trade away half the farm to do it).
Vrabel is doing well so far. And Bill O'Brien seemed to do ok as a coach (but then ran into problems when the Texans let him be GM as well).

But yeah, in general the success rate thus far as been pretty underwhelming.
Black Lives Matter.
RunningMn9

Post by RunningMn9 »

Has Vrabel ever coached under Bill? I didn’t think that he had, or that he really fell under the Bill tree. But I could be wrong about that.

O’Brien beclowned himself as a GM but he lasted the longest before flaming out.
Make up bags of change
noxiousdog

Post by noxiousdog »

O'Brien's issue is his ego. If he could learn to keep that in check, he'd be ok.
Black Lives Matter

"To wield Grond, the mighty hammer of the Federal Government, is to be intoxicated with power beyond what you and I can reckon (though I figure we can ball park it pretty good with computers and maths). Need to tunnel through a mountain? Grond. Kill a mighty ogre? Grond. Hangnail? Grond. Spider? Grond (actually, that's a legit use, moreso than the rest)." - Peacedog
Jaymann

Post by Jaymann »

I hope the Cowboys stick with Mike McCarthy. Jerry Jones has a history of keeping players/coaches past their expiration date. And McCarthy's level of incompetence would be difficult to match on the open market.
Jaymann
Black Lives Matter
stessier

Post by stessier »

Sean Payton is retiring.

I require a reminder as to why raining arcane destruction is not an appropriate response to all of life's indignities. - Vaarsuvius
Global Steam Wishmaslist Tracking
Running____2014: 1300.55 miles____2015: 2036.13 miles____2016: 1012.75 miles____2017: 1105.82 miles____2018: 1318.91 miles__2019: 2000.00 miles
El Guapo

Post by El Guapo »

RunningMn9 wrote: Fri Jan 14, 2022 8:53 pm Has Vrabel ever coached under Bill? I didn’t think that he had, or that he really fell under the Bill tree. But I could be wrong about that.

Vrabel hasn't coached under Belichick, but he was a team leader on the Patriots defense for many years, plus he coached under O'Brien with the Texans. Maybe he doesn't get the full Belichick stamp, but it's enough that I mark him as a Belichick guy.

And O'Brien I would count as a success as a coach (clearly not as a GM).

But I agree that the generally poor performance of the Belichick coaching tree is one of the black marks against his legacy. Though Flores has a decent shot to fix that, if things go well in his next gig.
Black Lives Matter.
McNutt

Post by McNutt »

stessier wrote: Tue Jan 25, 2022 3:13 pm Sean Payton is retiring.

This sucks. I guess nothing can last forever, but I was hoping for another run with him.
Jaymann

Post by Jaymann »

Payton owns a home in Dallas...
Jaymann
Black Lives Matter
LordMortis

Post by LordMortis »

El Guapo wrote: Tue Jan 25, 2022 3:39 pm
RunningMn9 wrote: Fri Jan 14, 2022 8:53 pm Has Vrabel ever coached under Bill? I didn’t think that he had, or that he really fell under the Bill tree. But I could be wrong about that.

Vrabel hasn't coached under Belichick, but he was a team leader on the Patriots defense for many years, plus he coached under O'Brien with the Texans. Maybe he doesn't get the full Belichick stamp, but it's enough that I mark him as a Belichick guy.

But I agree that the generally poor performance of the Belichick coaching tree is one of the black marks against his legacy. Though Flores has a decent shot to fix that, if things go well in his next gig.
In two years (four if you count the two Quinn had before he was allowed to hire his guy from the Pats) the Belichick tree and Pats nepotism destroyed the 8 years it took to get away from Matt Millen era in Detroit. Leaving the Lions as bad or worse than they were under Millen. Quinntricha were the absolute worst and all they did was gut the Lions, give their talent to New England, and then treat their own team with contempt. I didn't watch the games so much, but I listened to the interviews, saw the trades, and saw the results of the games. That was when I took back my Sundays. So far no regrets.
El Guapo

Post by El Guapo »

LordMortis wrote: Tue Jan 25, 2022 3:53 pm
El Guapo wrote: Tue Jan 25, 2022 3:39 pm

In two years (four if you count the two Quinn had before he was allowed to hire his guy from the Pats) the Belichick tree and Pats nepotism destroyed the 8 years it took to get away from Matt Millen era in Detroit. Leaving the Lions as bad or worse than they were under Millen. Quinntricha were the absolute worst and all they did was gut the Lions, give their talent to New England, and then treat their own team with contempt. I didn't watch the games so much, but I listened to the interviews, saw the trades, and saw the results of the games. That was when I took back my Sundays. So far no regrets.
Heh, yeah Quinn and Patricia were definitely not among the success stories.
Black Lives Matter.
LawBeefaroni
Forum Moderator

Post by LawBeefaroni »

LordMortis wrote: Tue Jan 25, 2022 3:53 pm That was when I took back my Sundays. So far no regrets.
I did much the same but spent a few Sundays this year rooting for Stafford. They prematurely ended Barry's career, prematurely ended Calvin's, good to see that Matt got out.

Would love to see Jim Caldwell get a job, even if it is with the Bears.
" Hey OP, listen to my advice alright." -Tha General
"No scientific discovery is named after its original discoverer." -Stigler's Law of Eponymy, discovered by Robert K. Merton

MYT
Ralph-Wiggum

Post by Ralph-Wiggum »

McNutt wrote: Tue Jan 25, 2022 3:41 pm
stessier wrote: Tue Jan 25, 2022 3:13 pm Sean Payton is retiring.

This sucks. I guess nothing can last forever, but I was hoping for another run with him.
Seems like the Saints are in for a couple of rough years, considering their current salary cap issues.
Black Lives Matter
LordMortis

Post by LordMortis »

LawBeefaroni wrote: Tue Jan 25, 2022 4:04 pm Would love to see Jim Caldwell get a job, even if it is with the Bears.

Neither Caldwell or Schwartz were going to get the Lions where they needed to be but both did their jobs to change team/culture for the better and deserve some sort of credit for their accomplishments in steering an organization from misery. Schwartz put the fire in the belly of an organization that was sitting on the scrap heap. Caldwell managed to calm them the fuck down. Quinn said fuck that shit, it's not good enough and then brought in Patricia to burn the foundation right back to the ground.

I'm weirdly glad Calvin doesn't identify as Lion post career, even if he's in the wrong for money he feels he's entitled to. It'll be constant stain of a reminder to the organization and to me not be feel bad if they ever pick up and leave town. I'd have wished Stafford well, but you know, the better he does the worse draft pick and in the back of my head I hope Holmes can Sherlock his way through drafting and trading and that maybe half way through 2022 or sometime time in 2023 I could start watching games again. Maybe I could become a Steelers fan again now that they're destined for a new QB.
Jaymann

Post by Jaymann »

Did Calvin play somewhere else, or does he just identify as The Detroit Football Team.
Jaymann
Black Lives Matter
LordMortis

Post by LordMortis »

Jaymann wrote: Tue Jan 25, 2022 7:57 pm Did Calvin play somewhere else, or does he just identify as The Detroit Football Team.
Nope. He retired before his contract was up and asked for his full bonus (like an extra million). Ownership refused. He doesn't do any publicity for the Lions.

First thing I could find which I am sure is more accurate than my description

https://sports.yahoo.com/lions-calvin-j ... 17265.html
Hrothgar

Post by Hrothgar »

I can't believe the Texans are considering being even more of a joke franchise.

McClain: Josh McCown favored to be next Texans coach

What's this long term back up QB's coaching experience? 1 year volunteering with his son's high school team. Oh, and he's friends with Jack Easterby.
stessier

Post by stessier »

Giants hire Brian Daboll as the new HC. So is he part of the Belichick or McDermott tree?
I require a reminder as to why raining arcane destruction is not an appropriate response to all of life's indignities. - Vaarsuvius
Running____2014: 1300.55 miles____2015: 2036.13 miles____2016: 1012.75 miles____2017: 1105.82 miles____2018: 1318.91 miles__2019: 2000.00 miles
RunningMn9

Post by RunningMn9 »

stessier wrote:Giants hire Brian Daboll as the new HC. So is he part of the Belichick or McDermott tree?
I mean, he’s won 5 rings with NE, but never as an OC (I don’t believe). Was a mediocre OC with a few teams before winning a National Championship at Bama under Saban. Then finally produced a top 5 NFL offense with Allen under McDermott.

I would say that he’s NOT from the McDermott tree. He’s mostly worked under Belichick and Parcells guys.
Make up bags of change
Jeff V

Post by Jeff V »

So the Bears GM Ryan and head coach Matt and hire GM Ryan and head coach Matt. Convince me they aren't too cheap to change the name plates on the office doors.
Black Lives Matter
The Meal

Post by The Meal »

What?
"Better to talk to people than communicate via tweet." — Elontra
Jeff V

Post by Jeff V »

The Meal wrote: Sun Jan 30, 2022 9:22 pmWhat?
The old: GM Ryan Pace, HC Matt Nagy.

The new: GM Ryan Poles, HC Matt Eberflus

I had a job once where I replaced another Jeff and after a time I was convinced I got the job because my boss didn't want to learn a different name. I suspect the same dynamic is in play here.
Black Lives Matter
The Meal

Post by The Meal »

Jeff V wrote: Sun Jan 30, 2022 9:17 pm So the Bears GM Ryan and head coach Matt and hire GM Ryan and head coach Matt.
Jeff V wrote: Sun Jan 30, 2022 10:42 pm
The Meal wrote: Sun Jan 30, 2022 9:22 pmWhat?
The old: GM Ryan Pace, HC Matt Nagy.

The new: GM Ryan Poles, HC Matt Eberflus.
I suppose I was hoping for communication incorporating subjects, verbs, and objects—sentences rather than Mortesian fragments.

But congrats to your team for fiscal responsibility at the nameplate front-half line items.
"Better to talk to people than communicate via tweet." — Elontra
naednek

Post by naednek »

Hi Guys!
hepcat - "I agree with Naednek"
Jaymann

Post by Jaymann »

naednek wrote: Mon Jan 31, 2022 1:22 amHi Guys!
Great to see ya!
Jaymann
Black Lives Matter
Jaymann

Post by Jaymann »

Maybe Brady should try out as a tight end.
Jaymann
Black Lives Matter
Unagi

Post by Unagi »

Jeff V wrote: Sun Jan 30, 2022 9:17 pm So the Bears GM Ryan and head coach Matt and hire GM Ryan and head coach Matt. Convince me they aren't too cheap to change the name plates on the office doors.
I think you LM'ed the word 'fire' there...
Jeff V

Post by Jeff V »

Unagi wrote: Mon Jan 31, 2022 11:52 am
Jeff V wrote: Sun Jan 30, 2022 9:17 pm So the Bears fire GM Ryan and head coach Matt and hire GM Ryan and head coach Matt. Convince me they aren't too cheap to change the name plates on the office doors.
I think you LM'ed the word 'fire' there...
Fixed
Black Lives Matter
Pyperkub

Post by Pyperkub »

Raiders hire McDaniels as HC. I think this might work - he was arrogant as Denver HC, and didn't have a good GM to check him. New Raiders GM Ziegler may be better.

Or, it could be the Raiders ;)
Black Lives definitely Matter Lorini!

Also: There are three ways to not tell the truth: lies, damned lies, and statistics.
Pyperkub

Post by Pyperkub »

Yup.

countdown clock on Jimmy G trade has begun. Jimmy G to Tampa?
Black Lives definitely Matter Lorini!

Also: There are three ways to not tell the truth: lies, damned lies, and statistics.
Jeff V

Post by Jeff V »

Pyperkub wrote: Mon Jan 31, 2022 8:59 pm
Yup.

countdown clock on Jimmy G trade has begun. Jimmy G to Tampa?
The Bears haven't spent enough at that position, and he's from Chicago. We need a backup to Justin Fields. And Andy Dalton. And Nick Foles.
Black Lives Matter
Jaymann

Post by Jaymann »

Speaking of the draft in 2022:

Pick
New York Giants
PICK ACQUIRED FROM THE CHICAGO BEARS

That pretty much says it all.
Jaymann
Black Lives Matter
Jeff V

Post by Jeff V »

Jaymann wrote: Mon Jan 31, 2022 9:28 pm That pretty much says it all.
Yep. drafting is not a habit The Bears have ever formed...
Black Lives Matter
stessier

Post by stessier »

Brady officially retires.
ImLawBoy
Forum Admin

Post by ImLawBoy »

I'm super excited about the Bears new coach. He's got a secret weapon - he says he's going to require MAXIMUM EFFORT from his players! Who has ever heard of such a thing? This is clearly a radical new approach and should set the Bears apart from the rest of the league.
That's my purse! I don't know you!
El Guapo

Post by El Guapo »

stessier wrote: Tue Feb 01, 2022 10:59 am Brady officially retires.
Interesting. On Simmons's podcast from this weekend he said that he thought that Brady would make it official on Tuesday (today) but didn't give much reasoning behind today other than "I think that's the day he'll take care of all family business". Wonder if he had some inside info?

Anyway, it's been nice, Tom.
Black Lives Matter.
stessier

Post by stessier »

El Guapo wrote: Tue Feb 01, 2022 11:03 am
stessier wrote: Tue Feb 01, 2022 10:59 am Brady officially retires.
Interesting. On Simmons's podcast from this weekend he said that he thought that Brady would make it official on Tuesday (today) but didn't give much reasoning behind today other than "I think that's the day he'll take care of all family business". Wonder if he had some inside info?

Anyway, it's been nice, Tom.
Yeah, I heard that too.

I wonder when he legally retires though. He could do the Bucs a solid by letting them cut him on June 1 and spreading his cap hit out over 2 years. Then sign a one-day with the Pats and retire. Reportedly things are good with him and Belichick after they talked after the game this year. Maybe I'm just dreaming though.