Nebulous: Fleet Command (tactical space fleet combat)

If it's a video game it goes here.

Moderators: LawBeefaroni, Arcanis, $iljanus

Holman

Nebulous: Fleet Command (tactical space fleet combat)

Post by Holman »

Just came across Nebulous: Fleet Command, which is coming out in Early Access next year.

Take command of your hand-tailored fleet of space warships and use realistic radar, electronic warfare, advanced movement controls in 3D space, and precision targeting to outmaneuver and outwit your opponents in a simulation-heavy tactical space game like no other.
This looks like it will be more detailed than something like Homeworld, with damage to specific locations and systems. Ship design, Newtonian physics, individual weapon targeting and a generally slow tactical pace seem promising.

The look and feel appear to be very clearly inspired by space combat in THE EXPANSE.
Much prefer my Nazis Nuremberged.
dbt1949

Re: Nebulous: Fleet Command (tactical space fleet combat)

Post by dbt1949 »

Kind of reminds of the tactical combat in Sword of the Stars.
Ye Olde Farte
Double Ought Forty
aka dbt1949
Holman

Post by Holman »

dbt1949 wrote: Tue Dec 14, 2021 7:23 pm Kind of reminds of the tactical combat in Sword of the Stars.
Me too. It was tragic when they released SOTS2 in such a broken state and basically sank their company.
Freyland

Post by Freyland »

Nice rail gun at 49 seconds.

Also worth noting it's all combat. No campaign, no economics, just point system, design ships, fight.
Sims 3 and signature unclear.
Holman

Post by Holman »

Freyland wrote: Tue Dec 14, 2021 8:01 pm Nice rail gun at 49 seconds.

Also worth noting it's all combat. No campaign, no economics, just point system, design ships, fight.
It's a tiny developer. If it takes off, I could easily imagine a full strategic campaign devised for a sequel.
jztemple2

Post by jztemple2 »

Yeah, I see on the Steam page they say "Skip the economy management". OK, I'm interested and have wishlisted. I'm also signed up on their Discord channel, although I find Discord to be too much of a shouting match at times.

Damn, they are a developer log #21. Must go back and check them out.

Update: Looks something like a space version of Ultimate Admiral: Dreadnoughts. Cool 8-)
My father said that anything is interesting if you bother to read about it - Michael C. Harrold
$iljanus
Forum Moderator

Post by $iljanus »

From their latest developer log:
Mod Support - Developed facilities for loading additional asset bundles and code DLLs into the game, to allow users to add their own content and expand the game however they want. Almost anything that the developers could add can now be added by modders.
I’m hoping some talented modders will bring us the Babylon 5 game we deserve! Along with ships from The Expanse.
Black lives matter!

Wise words of warning from Smoove B: Oh, how you all laughed when I warned you about the semen. Well, who's laughing now?
raydude

Post by raydude »

jztemple2 wrote: Thu Dec 16, 2021 2:00 am

Yeah, I see on the Steam page they say "Skip the economy management". OK, I'm interested and have wishlisted. I'm also signed up on their Discord channel, although I find Discord to be too much of a shouting match at times.

Update: Looks something like a space version of Ultimate Admiral: Dreadnoughts. Cool 8-)
While cool, it doesn't satisfy my desire to have actual logistics in my ideal space combat RTS game. I forget the name but there was a game back in the 90s/2000s that had logistics and the concept of fleets where you could designate AI commanders and given the generalized mission objectives. Although, it looks iike Falling Frontier may have the logistics I am looking for.
Daehawk

Post by Daehawk »

I can already smell the Babylon 5 mod being readied.
--------------------------------------------
I am Dyslexic of Borg, prepare to have your ass laminated.
I guess Ray Butts has ate his last pancake.
http://steamcommunity.com/id/daehawk
"Has high IQ. Refuses to apply it"
Grifman

Post by Grifman »

Holman wrote: Tue Dec 14, 2021 7:24 pm
dbt1949 wrote: Tue Dec 14, 2021 7:23 pm Kind of reminds of the tactical combat in Sword of the Stars.
Me too. It was tragic when they released SOTS2 in such a broken state and basically sank their company.
I still mourn that evernt. SOTS with all DLC was the best space 4X ever, IMHO.
Tolerance is the virtue of the man without convictions. – G.K. Chesterton
Tampa_Gamer

Post by Tampa_Gamer »

raydude wrote: Thu Dec 16, 2021 10:52 am

While cool, it doesn't satisfy my desire to have actual logistics in my ideal space combat RTS game. I forget the name but there was a game back in the 90s/2000s that had logistics and the concept of fleets where you could designate AI commanders and given the generalized mission objectives. Although, it looks iike Falling Frontier may have the logistics I am looking for.
That would be Conquest: Frontier Wars. Actually requires you to take into account fleet supply ships etc and logistic resupply outposts to keep your fleets in the field. There are still modded versions being kept alive today if you google it. Sadly it didn’t allow orders to be given in pause mode like SoTS, but still one of my all time favorites.
Last edited by Tampa_Gamer on Fri Dec 17, 2021 8:55 am, edited 1 time in total.
dbt1949

Post by dbt1949 »

I remember that one. Back in the olde days when I used to actually finish the game.
Ye Olde Farte
Double Ought Forty
aka dbt1949
jztemple2

Post by jztemple2 »

All this talk of logistics and supply makes me think of the Campaign for North Africa wargame. The ne plus ultra of board wargames for me. Remember, the Italians need more water because they have to cook their pasta. And you can't transport camels by air. At least live ones.

By the way, there's an online PDF of CNA with all the rules, counters and maps.
My father said that anything is interesting if you bother to read about it - Michael C. Harrold
Daehawk

Post by Daehawk »

I think Space Empires had the need for refueling bases and such. Or maybe that was VGA Planets...or Spaceward Ho! I get all the old games confused these days.

EDIT: Or heck maybe it was more recent with like Infinite Space.
--------------------------------------------
I am Dyslexic of Borg, prepare to have your ass laminated.
I guess Ray Butts has ate his last pancake.
http://steamcommunity.com/id/daehawk
"Has high IQ. Refuses to apply it"
baelthazar

Post by baelthazar »

Daehawk wrote: Fri Dec 17, 2021 12:40 am I think Space Empires had the need for refueling bases and such. Or maybe that was VGA Planets...or Spaceward Ho! I get all the old games confused these days.

EDIT: Or heck maybe it was more recent with like Infinite Space.
Yes, supplies were modeled by Space Empires. You could mitigate that with solar panels and other types of engines. I think Ascendancy also modeled supplies.
raydude

Post by raydude »

Tampa_Gamer wrote: Thu Dec 16, 2021 10:12 pm
raydude wrote: Thu Dec 16, 2021 10:52 am

That would be Conquest: Frontier Wars. Actually requires you to take into account fleet supply ships etc and logistic resupply outposts to keep your fleets in the field. There are still modded versions being kept alive today if you google it. Sadly it didn’t allow orders to be given in pause mode like SoTS, but still one of my all time favorites.
Yes! That was it! I loved that you had to keep your fleets supplied and if you didn't your ships were just dead in the water. I remember that it also let us play coop vs. the AI, so several of my friends took command of various fleets.
jztemple wrote:All this talk of logistics and supply makes me think of the Campaign for North Africa wargame. The ne plus ultra of board wargames for me. Remember, the Italians need more water because they have to cook their pasta. And you can't transport camels by air. At least live ones.
Yeah I remember that game being talked about when I was more into wargames. I never preferred playing monster wargames as I felt the more stuff I had to keep track of the more I felt like an accountant and less like a commander.