Our nonprofit has officially launch! *Updated with news story in original post*

Everything else!

Moderators: Bakhtosh, EvilHomer3k

Xmann

Our nonprofit has officially launch! *Updated with news story in original post*

Post by Xmann »

My wife and I wanted to take a near tragic health crisis and turn it for good. Kind of our way to give back to everyone that has helped and supported my recovery along the way. Additionally, the need for awareness and support is just beginning for covid long haulers like myself and this had to be done.

Please look at our website. It's a work in progress, but we felt it is in a good place to be opened up to the public for support. I have 2 episodes of a podcast available, please check that out. I have already secured a couple covid long haulers for future episodes to share their illness and recovery. Additionally, I have a physician working in a post covid clinic that wants to support us and be on a future episode. I have interviews set up for next week for a local news station and local sports talk station since I'm a former athlete here in Knoxville. I have never done anything like this before and I'm honestly nervous with the reaction I might get, be gentle :D

We have a link for donations and a shop for t shirts. We want to invest in our community, but it has quickly become apparent this is much larger than us. Early fundraising will go towards spreading awareness and computers for students, which is my wife's project and is very important for her. Lastly, please share our website on whatever social media platform you frequent. If you know a friend or family member who is a long hauler or maybe they have the symptoms and don't know, point them to us.

I'll update my other thread about how I'm doing and how I've been. I see my physician tomorrow so I'll update tomorrow evening. And btw, Covid is my b*tch.

TeamCovidLongHaulers.Org

Travis and Shannon

*Local News story *
https://www.wvlt.tv/video/2021/12/27/tr ... oundation/

We have updated the website. Please take another look. We will be live on another local news the week of our awareness event.
Last edited by Xmann on Mon Dec 27, 2021 10:16 am, edited 1 time in total.
stessier

Re: Our nonprofit has officially launch!

Post by stessier »

My company blocks that site as malicious. Not sure what that is about.
I require a reminder as to why raining arcane destruction is not an appropriate response to all of life's indignities. - Vaarsuvius
Global Steam Wishmaslist Tracking
Running____2014: 1300.55 miles____2015: 2036.13 miles____2016: 1012.75 miles____2017: 1105.82 miles____2018: 1318.91 miles__2019: 2000.00 miles
Daehawk

Post by Daehawk »

Ok for me.

I like Tony.
--------------------------------------------
I am Dyslexic of Borg, prepare to have your ass laminated.
I guess Ray Butts has ate his last pancake.
http://steamcommunity.com/id/daehawk
"Has high IQ. Refuses to apply it"
Xmann

Post by Xmann »

stessier wrote:My company blocks that site as malicious. Not sure what that is about.
I'll look into that.

Sent from my SM-G981U1 using Tapatalk

gf.me/u/zhnmhs
Xmann

Post by Xmann »

What does everyone think about adding "nonprofit foundation" somewhere on the home page? I'm also thinking I'm going to have "My story" changed to Travis's story.

gf.me/u/zhnmhs
dbt1949

Post by dbt1949 »

How do people get drawn to your site? Do you advertise somehow?
Ye Olde Farte
Double Ought Forty
aka dbt1949
Xmann

Post by Xmann »

dbt1949 wrote:How do people get drawn to your site? Do you advertise somehow?
We have a marketing company that is going to help with advertising.

We will be in three different Christmas parades starting in two weeks. We have banners and magnets to go on our vehicle for the parades.

I'll also be doing local tv and radio interviews next week.

gf.me/u/zhnmhs
Hipolito

Post by Hipolito »

Compliments to whoever designed the logo, I love it!
Xmann

Post by Xmann »

Daehawk wrote:Ok for me.

I like Tony.
I knew you'd like Tony.

Did you listen to the podcast? They are about 15 minutes a piece.

gf.me/u/zhnmhs
Zarathud

Post by Zarathud »

Do you have 501(c)(3) status? Have you registered as a fundraising charity in at least one state? What you say could be fraud if you get it wrong.
"If the facts don't fit the theory, change the facts." - Albert Einstein
"I don't stand by anything." - Trump
“Bad men need nothing more to compass their ends, than that good men should look on and do nothing.” - John Stuart Mill, Inaugural Address Delivered to the University of St Andrews, 2/1/1867
“It is the impractical things in this tumultuous hell-scape of a world that matter most. A book, a name, chicken soup. They help us remember that, even in our darkest hour, life is still to be savored.” - Poe, Altered Carbon
Xmann

Post by Xmann »

Zarathud wrote:Do you have 501(c)(3) status? Have you registered as a fundraising charity in at least one state? What you say could be fraud if you get it wrong.
Yes to all of the above

gf.me/u/zhnmhs
LawBeefaroni
Forum Moderator

Post by LawBeefaroni »

Our nonprofit has officially launch!
Fix the thread title! Unless of course you're going for the "all your base" vibe. :D

Site looks great but IMO you need an elevator pitch front an center. A few concise sentences on what the organization is and what it does. I have a good idea from your posts here but someone without that background may get lost quickly.

Planning to give the podcast a listen soon.
" Hey OP, listen to my advice alright." -Tha General
"No scientific discovery is named after its original discoverer." -Stigler's Law of Eponymy, discovered by Robert K. Merton

MYT
Xmann

Post by Xmann »

LawBeefaroni wrote:
Our nonprofit has officially launch!
Fix the thread title! Unless of course you're going for the "all your base" vibe. :D

Site looks great but IMO you need an elevator pitch front an center. A few concise sentences on what the organization is and what it does. I have a good idea from your posts here but someone without that background may get lost quickly.

Planning to give the podcast a listen soon.

gf.me/u/zhnmhs
gilraen

Post by gilraen »

Xmann wrote: Wed Nov 17, 2021 7:04 pm I'm also thinking I'm going to have "My story" changed to Travis's story.
I like that.
Smoove_B

Post by Smoove_B »

Xmann wrote: Wed Nov 17, 2021 7:04 pm I'm also thinking I'm going to have "My story" changed to Travis's story.
Yes, you need to change your mindset a bit. You exist as an individual but you're now also part of a non-profit. The organization should feature your story (Travis), but recognize that it (the organization) is always going to be bigger than you (Travis).

I also really like that logo. For a non-profit, you should feature "How can I help?" (a link to a page with details) as prominently as possible - because that's what you're hoping when you get eyeballs on the site. People are looking and they want to know what they can do. I see "How we can help" - which is good because you're communicating what your mission is, but make sure you're also providing hooks for others to join. I do see "How you can help" at the top, but I think (imho) that needs to be more of a focus.

You just need to sneak a little octopus in there somewhere for luck and I think you're all set. :wink:

So cool to see this - you're doing a great thing and I hope it really takes off.
Maybe next year, maybe no go
AWS260

Post by AWS260 »

Congratulations! Love that logo.
Xmann

Post by Xmann »

Smoove_B wrote:
Yes, you need to change your mindset a bit. You exist as an individual but you're now also part of a non-profit. The organization should feature your story (Travis), but recognize that it (the organization) is always going to be bigger than you (Travis).

I also really like that logo. For a non-profit, you should feature "How can I help?" (a link to a page with details) as prominently as possible - because that's what you're hoping when you get eyeballs on the site. People are looking and they want to know what they can do. I see "How we can help" - which is good because you're communicating what your mission is, but make sure you're also providing hooks for others to join. I do see "How you can help" at the top, but I think (imho) that needs to be more of a focus.

You just need to sneak a little octopus in there somewhere for luck and I think you're all set. :wink:

So cool to see this - you're doing a great thing and I hope it really takes off.
Good feedback, thank you.

gf.me/u/zhnmhs
Xmann

Post by Xmann »

AWS260 wrote:Congratulations! Love that logo.
Got a nice story about that logo.

I have never grown much of a beard in my life. It doesn't grow thick and it's kind of shaggy. Add to the fact I've been in management the past few years, I just stayed clean shaven.

When I got home from the hospital, I didn't feel like shaving and just let it grow and as you see from the pictures, it's long and pretty cool looking.

My wife teaches health sciences to high schoolers. They have followed my illness and recovery because my wife has shared it with them. They are amazing students and they've been really good for my wife during this time.

When we decided we wanted to create a foundation, her students were excited and wanted to help and that's where the logo came from. Her students designed it and put it on t shirts and surprised us with it.

With all the bullshit in the world, those kids have been a bright shining light to us both. We are humbled by their kindness and desire to help us both. I'm proud of them and I'm planning a surprise visit to see them before Christmas. They've been asking me to come by because they want to meet me.

Lastly, if you look at the shop and see the shirt that says "Covid is my b*tch", there's a story behind that as well. When I came home, that's something I said to my wife and son as a way to kind of use that as strength to recover. My wife mentioned that at some point and the kids remembered and designed that shirt as well.

Pretty awesome.

gf.me/u/zhnmhs
Isgrimnur

Re: Our nonprofit has officially launch! *Updated with news story in original post*

Post by Isgrimnur »

https://www.wvlt.tv/video/2021/12/27/tr ... oundation/

Tapatalk images don't come through to desktop.
It's almost as if people are the problem.
Xmann

Re: Our nonprofit has officially launch! *Updated with news story in original post*

Post by Xmann »

Jag

Post by Jag »

This looks amazing will definitely check it out. Been following your progress and glad you found purpose in this horrible event and are able to handle others.
Isgrimnur

Post by Isgrimnur »

Xmann wrote: Thu Jan 20, 2022 6:53 pm
It's been a year. I humbly request an update.
It's almost as if people are the problem.