[Disney+] Moon Knight

Everything else!

Moderators: Bakhtosh, EvilHomer3k

hepcat

Re: [Disney+] Moon Knight

Post by hepcat »

Blackhawk wrote: Wed Jan 19, 2022 5:06 pm
hepcat wrote: Wed Jan 19, 2022 2:33 pm
Blackhawk wrote: Wed Jan 19, 2022 1:26 pm No doubt it can be beneficial. I just really dislike drama built around mental suffering. There's a distinction between a drama in which people suffer (which is vital for most storytelling) and drama built around people suffering.
The only distinction I can see is whether or not the main character is the one suffering from mental illness.
Not at all. It's how much of a focus the mental illness is, not who is affected. To bring back Doom Patrol (because it's an easy example), Cliff suffers from mental illnesses. So does Larry. And when there's an episode focused on them, it's a factor. But when there's a Jane episode, it's the core of the story.

I've just had too much of that in my life to want to relive it for fun.
Doom Patrol is a show with multiple main characters, though.

Anyway, avoid Legion like the plague. It is literally everything you don’t want in a show. Which is too bad, since it was one of the best shows in recent memory.

But watch what makes you feel good. That’s all that matters.
Covfefe!
Blackhawk

Post by Blackhawk »

hepcat wrote: Wed Jan 19, 2022 8:45 pm Anyway, avoid Legion like the plague. It is literally everything you don’t want in a show. Which is too bad, since it was one of the best shows in recent memory.

But watch what makes you feel good. That’s all that matters.
I had already decided to skip that one based on the trailer. And, to be honest, it's not about only watching what makes me feel good. I can appreciate shows that make me feel uncomfortable, as they give me a chance to understand myself better. But that one category of plots is more than uncomfortable.
(˙pǝsɹǝʌǝɹ uǝǝq sɐɥ ʎʇıʌɐɹƃ ʃɐuosɹǝd ʎW)
Isgrimnur

Post by Isgrimnur »

It's almost as if people are the problem.
YellowKing

Post by YellowKing »

Except this is not Hollywood making up the story, it's based on source material from decades of comics but OK.
Isgrimnur

Post by Isgrimnur »

Enlarge Image
hepcat

Post by hepcat »

:lol:
Covfefe!
Isgrimnur

Post by Isgrimnur »

Sudy

Post by Sudy »

Episode 1 is out and I couldn't be much happier with it (as someone without much previous knowledge of the character). The end credits/theme is wonderfully cinematic. I would say, so far, that it may not be as "dark" as expected. It's certainly a psychological thriller, but this is more 12 Monkeys in tone than it is Jacob's Ladder. It definitely feels a little different for Marvel (in a good way) like most of the Disney+ series, yet still maybe not different enough.

Spoiler:
- Sure, a lot of the beats aren't very fresh, but I still had a great time.
- Isaac is just so great. And I didn't really find his accent to be an annoyance. The choice to take on an accent definitely adds to the characterization.
- Stuff like lunch with the human statue is on the border between brilliant and goofy. I kind of love it. The relationship with the boss is just... unfunny and painful though. I find it's rare to find someone that openly mean in real life.
- F. Murray Abraham's grand voice work is almost too good for this.
- OK, so the CGI and effects can be a little cheap sometimes. But we expect this from a streaming series. It's not like they're holding back when it comes to action pieces.
- I found a couple of the sillier things to be distractions. Like the bits on Isaac's face after eating the chocolates. Was he having trouble finding his mouth? Though if they're referencing a comics panel, I get it. Also, the moving scale tattoo bugs me. But I presume that's a reference too. I know I have to suspend an extra bit of disbelief for magic/mysticism entries.
- In regard to it not feeling as "dark" as was expected, I do suspect the fact that most of the major violence occurs off-screen in episode one impacts this viewpoint. I could see this feeling quite a bit darker as we progress. On the other hand, it also has a Saturday morning cartoon tone that I can see it sticking with.
- Overall I just love the environments and the spirit of adventure.
- Does this trivialize mental illness? I don't know. Yes, the character's condition is played for laughs much of the time. An effective superpower at others. But, it's an adventure series based on a superhero comic. His dissociative identity disorder (or similar experience) isn't the focus. I found Isaac's acting at the end of the steakhouse scene where he's falling apart emotionally to be genuinely touching.

I saw a commercial on late night TV. It said, "Forget everything you know about slipcovers." So I did. And it was a load off my mind. Then the commercial tried to sell me slipcovers, and I didn't know what the hell they were. -- Mitch Hedberg
stimpy

Post by stimpy »

This is one series I am definitely waiting until I can binge watch a few episodes, if not all, in a row.
He/Him/His/Porcupine
Smoove_B

Post by Smoove_B »

I really enjoyed the first episode. I don't have much to add without spoilers, but anytime you can add Wham! to a high-tension action scene I'm generally going to approve.

I'd also agree that not having a few in a row to watch is tough, but I now have something to look forward to on Wednesday nights, which is nice.
Maybe next year, maybe no go
El Guapo

Post by El Guapo »

I really liked it. Oscar Isaac is great, and I thought they did a good job with the mystery and slow reveal of things. I am sort of curious how Steven holds down a job when he is seemingly prone to disappearing for days at random.

Do we know if this is going to be followed mainly from Steven's perspective, or are we also going to get similar episodes that center on Marc (and there's a third personality right?) which skip over parts where Steven is in control?
Black Lives Matter.
Freyland

Post by Freyland »

El Guapo wrote: Thu Mar 31, 2022 10:31 am I really liked it. Oscar Isaac is great, and I thought they did a good job with the mystery and slow reveal of things. I am sort of curious how Steven holds down a job when he is seemingly prone to disappearing for days at random.

Do we know if this is going to be followed mainly from Steven's perspective, or are we also going to get similar episodes that center on Marc (and there's a third personality right?) which skip over parts where Steven is in control?
There's actually 4, but with only 6 episodes, I don't see them with time to elaborate.
Sims 3 and signature unclear.
naednek

Post by naednek »

I'm assuming not kid friendly?

Sent from my Pixel 6 Pro using Tapatalk

hepcat - "I agree with Naednek"
El Guapo

Post by El Guapo »

naednek wrote: Thu Mar 31, 2022 5:20 pm I'm assuming not kid friendly?

Sent from my Pixel 6 Pro using Tapatalk
Depends how old - not young kids for sure. Not a ton of direct violence in this episode but a few times where Oscar Isaac wakes up and there are dead bodies and blood around.
Black Lives Matter.
Sudy

Post by Sudy »

Looks like it's rated TV-14, and I'd probably go by that. To me, the first episode has a feeling to me that's akin to a more mature kids' cartoon, but I can see it getting darker. (Edit: Let me clarify by saying that I find the mystical elements to be a bit cartoony so far [but not in a bad way]. But, they've hardly been revealed yet. That said, I think they could have gone full-on horror with these and they haven't so far.) The off-screen violence that occurs is pretty... violent:

Spoiler:
E.g. at one point Stephen blacks out and Marc takes over. When it flashes back, Stephen's fist is soaked with blood and there are incapacitated (dead?) henchmen on the ground around him. It struck me as a little more than PG. There's another scene during the big chase where an incapacitated/dead henchman falls out of the back of a moving vehicle onto the road and it cuts away just before you can tell if he gets run over or someone swerves around him. So we're approaching Indiana-Jones-level violence.
So, I'm not a parent but I could see this being upsetting for younger kids. On the other hand, it has a great spirit of adventure and the psychological aspects aren't hard to follow. I'm sure I would have loved this as a 10-year-old.

I saw a commercial on late night TV. It said, "Forget everything you know about slipcovers." So I did. And it was a load off my mind. Then the commercial tried to sell me slipcovers, and I didn't know what the hell they were. -- Mitch Hedberg
JCC

Post by JCC »

I know absolutley nothing about Moon Knight, but thought the first episode was awesome!
Black Lives Matter

"You know, the very powerful and the very stupid have one thing in common: they don't alter their views to fit the facts; they alter the facts to fit their views." - The 4th Doctor
Sudy

Post by Sudy »

I enjoyed episode two just as much as one.
Spoiler:
It's more of a second part to the first episode, but it continues to reveal Marc's/Steven's secrets at a speed that serves the story well. Ethan Hawke continues to be very good at being villainous, even if this episode doesn't tell us much more about him or Ammit. Fighting mystical beasts is getting a bit boring. Obviously, it's very CGI-heavy and that CGI often looks a lot like CGI. This episode also feels a bit more constrained. But I still can't help but enjoy it due to the pacing and storytelling. Being in Egypt now, the next episode will presumably freshen things up.

Hamlet3145

Post by Hamlet3145 »

This show is so good.
Spoiler:
Telling the story from Steven's points of view is brilliant.
Victoria Raverna

Post by Victoria Raverna »

Sudy wrote: Thu Mar 31, 2022 5:37 pm So, I'm not a parent but I could see this being upsetting for younger kids. On the other hand, it has a great spirit of adventure and the psychological aspects aren't hard to follow. I'm sure I would have loved this as a 10-year-old.
I guess I'm a bad parent. My almost 8 years old daughter loves the show.
Sudy

Post by Sudy »

Lol... that was in response to naednek's question. I don't have kids but was trying to help. The tone of the second episode is similar to the first, and actually less graphically violent. I'd think that the hardest thing for a child to deal with might be the dissociative identity disorder angle. But kids are often found watching Scarface and shooting dice by third grade these days, so they're probably more mature than I give them credit for.

JCC

Post by JCC »

Watched the second episode. Just fantastic. Absolutely love this show so far.
Black Lives Matter

"You know, the very powerful and the very stupid have one thing in common: they don't alter their views to fit the facts; they alter the facts to fit their views." - The 4th Doctor
Sudy

Post by Sudy »

Episode three is great. The show isn't afraid to move quickly or change up the scenery. On one hand it was a fairly procedural episode in service of the established main plot, but the stuff that happens in between and how it's accomplished is very interesting. The visuals and setpieces in this episode were outstanding.

While this doesn't feel like any other Marvel production so far to me, I feel that it shares the pacing and focus of Hawkeye, which were big strengths (at least until the end). Mind you, I haven't seen the other Disney Marvel series yet, but this makes me hopeful they can continue to release things that feel "different" and aren't attached to the MCU with superglue.

JCC

Post by JCC »

Loving this. Ethan Hawke is fantastic.
Black Lives Matter

Freyland

Post by Freyland »

Liked it, but:
Spoiler:
The trial was a farce of writing.

Konshu: Our argument must be indisputable.
Konshu/Mark: THE AVATAR OF AMMIT SEEKS TO RELEASE AMMIT FROM HER TOMB
Osiris: Why would he do that? Those are heavy charges. We should ask him.
*entrance*
Osiris: Are these charges true, Avatar of Ammit?
Hollan: Why no, I was just playing in the sand. Did you know that Konshu is a big meanie, and his avatar is a sick man?
Osiris: Oh, lets totally focus on the human avatar that has no power to bring this trial together, and who is just a conduit for a god. Man, are you sick?
Mark: (for whatever reason) oh yes, I'm quite sick
Osiris: Well then! The completely insignificant human is sick, so clearly Konshu has no standing. Case dismissed!

HISHE...

Osiris: Oh dear. Bring him in.
*entrance*
Hollan: Why no, I was just playing in the sand. Did you know that Kon....
Osiris: We're gods. Lets take a look at what you have been up to the last few days. Hmmm... that certainly looks like you are digging something.
Konshu/Mark: HE HAS THE SCARAB
Osiris: Seriously? Good enough for me.
**ZAAAAPPPP**
Osiris: Good catch. You're tote's not banished anymore.
Sims 3 and signature unclear.
Sudy

Post by Sudy »

Yeah, I'll admit I tried not to think too hard about that scene.
Spoiler:
Or the changing-the-sky stuff, visually gorgeous as it was. Like was he actually moving the moon? And could they not load up some star charts instead of having to rewind time or whatever?

Malificent

Post by Malificent »

Freyland wrote: Wed Apr 13, 2022 9:40 pm Liked it, but:
Spoiler:
The trial was a farce of writing.

Konshu: Our argument must be indisputable.
Osiris: Why would he do that? Those are heavy charges. We should ask him.
*entrance*
Hollan: Why no, I was just playing in the sand. Did you know that Konshu is a big meanie, and his avatar is a sick man?
Osiris: Oh, lets totally focus on the human avatar that has no power to bring this trial together, and who is just a conduit for a god. Man, are you sick?
Mark: (for whatever reason) oh yes, I'm quite sick
Osiris: Well then! The completely insignificant human is sick, so clearly Konshu has no standing. Case dismissed!

HISHE...

Osiris: Oh dear. Bring him in.
*entrance*
Hollan: Why no, I was just playing in the sand. Did you know that Kon....
Osiris: We're gods. Lets take a look at what you have been up to the last few days. Hmmm... that certainly looks like you are digging something.
Konshu/Mark: HE HAS THE SCARAB
Osiris: Seriously? Good enough for me.
**ZAAAAPPPP**
Osiris: Good catch. You're tote's not banished anymore.
Yes, but…
Spoiler:
I view Khonshu as that crazy family member everyone has. Constantly complaining about conspiracies or how about they can’t get what they deserve, what’s right. And all of that in the loudest, most embarrassing way possible.

Clearly, Khonshu had basically used any good will he ever had (if any) with the rest of the family and the trial itself was a foregone conclusion. Why pay any attention to the same kind of crazy crap your wacky god-brother has been shouting about for millennia? Different verse, same tune. Especially when the calm reasonable avatar is there to reassure you. It didn’t matter how stupid Hollan’s argument was, the rest of the gods (especially naive Osiris) were happy to use it as an excuse to give Khonshu a final warning and hopefully *this’ll* be the time where he turns it around.

I mean, family, right?
El Guapo

Post by El Guapo »

Spoiler:
Yeah that THE ACCUSATION MUST BE AIRTIGHT line followed immediately by calling the trial and having no evidence part bugged me. Like if he's going to say that, shouldn't he like...gather some evidence? Maybe more to the point I don't understand why they would include that line if he was going to *immediately* make an accusatino without evidence.

Anyway, really more of a nit, since otherwise I thought the episode was good and I'm really enjoying the show.

Unlike stupid Picard season 2.
Black Lives Matter.
JCC

Post by JCC »

Well this episode took a turn. As of now, my least favorite episode, but willing to change my mind depending on where it goes... (Still good.)
Black Lives Matter

msteelers

Post by msteelers »

I am so confused with what is happening in this show, but I'm enjoying it.
Lassr

Post by Lassr »

I read MoonKnight enough as a kid to get the gist of what is happening but still find myself saying, "What the Hell is happening?" Especially at the end of episode 4. Was my least favorite episode but still good.
The only reason people get lost in thought is because it's unfamiliar territory.

Black Lives Matter
hepcat

Post by hepcat »

I just worry they're making this too much like Legion. While that was one of the best damn shows on television based on a comic book character, I hope Moon Knight avoids just doing the same thing.

But I am enjoying the hell out of it all the same. I especially like his business suit version of the Moon Knight costume. That was truly inspired.
Covfefe!
Smoove_B

Post by Smoove_B »

That's so funny - after watching last night's show all I could think was how it reminded me of Legion. I'm still enjoying it, but I was not expecting what happened last night at all. I am still curious to see where it's going in the final ~2 hours (?) of story.
Maybe next year, maybe no go
Ralph-Wiggum

Post by Ralph-Wiggum »

I also immediately got Legion vibes. Unfortunately, I haven’t seen any evidence that they will be able to pull it off nearly as well. While I liked the first two episodes, I thought episode 3 was terrible for the reasons mentioned above as well as the too-easy solutions and too many times when things just worked out perfectly.
Black Lives Matter
Malificent

Post by Malificent »

Ralph-Wiggum wrote: Fri Apr 22, 2022 8:42 am I also immediately got Legion vibes. Unfortunately, I haven’t seen any evidence that they will be able to pull it off nearly as well. While I liked the first two episodes, I thought episode 3 was terrible for the reasons mentioned above as well as the too-easy solutions and too many times when things just worked out perfectly.
This is a good example where I feel like Marvel has swung too far in the other direction from the Netflix series. Netflix Marvel series were often too long by an episode or two and some of it felt like unimportant filler. Moon Knight (and a couple of their other 6 episode series) feels like it could be an episode or two longer to give it room to breathe. The plot feels very rushed here leading to those too-easy solutions as the only way to keep the timing on track.

I'm enjoying the show, but it could definitely be better.
naednek

Post by naednek »

We started watching it today. We stopped about halfway in. Ethan has a hard time sleeping (nightmares) and this would be a bad idea. So hopefully the next marvel series will be a little more child friendly. The last couple have been borderline or too much.
hepcat - "I agree with Naednek"
AWS260

Post by AWS260 »

The most recent episode is... well, hard to describe without spoilers. But I really liked it. I'm so impressed with how they've tackled this character.
Spoiler:
Did anyone else notice that the psych-ward version of Harrow is styled just like Stan Lee? Mustache, glasses, slicked-back hair.
hepcat

Post by hepcat »

I usually dislike the "is it real or not" episodes focused on mental health because I feel it stops the narrative on a dime, then replaces everything with a story without any gravity most of the time.

But this one was great. It explained so many things that were actually relevant to the real world of the character, and went in a direction I wasn't expecting. Loved it.
Covfefe!
El Guapo

Post by El Guapo »

That was a great episode. Oscar Isaac is fantastic.

One question I have is how they're going to wrap everything up plus have the traditional Marvel closing CGI fest with just one episode left. I was figuring they'd get to who mystery identity #3 is.
Black Lives Matter.
JCC

Post by JCC »

Finally caught up with this week's episode today. Fantastic. Isaac has been teriffic in this show from the get go. But, this week was just amazing. Really excited for the finale next week!
Black Lives Matter

Sudy

Post by Sudy »

I liked it a lot. I feel like the explanation for this plot thread was pretty simplistic, but has to be viewed as appropriate for a PG-13 MCU entry. I agree that six episodes doesn't feel like enough, especially when there's no guarantee we'll be seeing this character again. I presume that's something they use to lure the bigger stars to television. It seems like this series would do very well at eight or even ten episodes.

Spoiler:
- Taweret (hippo lady) felt a bit silly... even for this series, which is often enjoyably silly where Steven is concerned. But together with the colourful death voyage it cements my appreciation of the series as a real-life Saturday morning cartoon.
- I don't have a problem with the setting of the fifth episode; I certainly appreciate that the Disney series go full steam ahead. But I miss the main world, and now it's going to be over in one more episode.
- I feel like we've seen Marc/Steven in costume very sparingly. (Obviously, since the capture of Khonsu.) This seems like a good choice, because the suited character doesn't have a lot of personality when he's Marc... he's there to save the day and deliver catharsis. Suited Steven on the other hand is charming and goofy, kind of a dopey Deadpool and I'm sorry we haven't seen him more. They've been able to wring a surprising amount of character out of him.
- They're really playing the long game with the third personality/sarcophagus. If there's not a rewarding reveal, people are going to be pissed. It seems like they're going to have a lot to cram into the final episode regardless, and for someone who's really enjoying this series I can't imagine it will feel like enough.
- This really wouldn't have been a bad arc for a couple of movies. I dunno, I just want more Moon Knight and more Oscar Isaac.