Firefox hating on goolge properties

For general computer discussion & help, come here

Moderators: Bakhtosh, EvilHomer3k

LordMortis

Firefox hating on goolge properties

Post by LordMortis »

I'm getting this frequently from multiple machines, multiple ISPs, multiple DNS. Google stuff just freaks out and stop loading. Two things ward off the problem.

1) opening the window again in a private window
2) removing the s from https

3) using a different browser...

This has been going on for like two weeks. As many other things as I dislike about FF, I'm loathe to use the major competitors Chrome/Edge. This could change the game if I don't get an easy fix soon.

Anyone else get this? It can't just be me when it's across multiple everything... Though now that I think about it, GMail does happen across all devices... hrrmmm... Maybe a cache cleanse and no more gmail aka google trackers might fix it...
gilraen

Re: Firefox hating on goolge properties

Post by gilraen »

I work on a web-based application that hates aggressive browser caching. I have caching disabled in Firefox entirely to eliminate an extra layer of frustration when troubleshooting issues. So you can try it - I don't know how well it actually works now, they keep changing it between browser versions. It used to be an option in the Settings menu, now you go to the URL box, enter about:config, search for use-cache and toggle it to false.
Anonymous Bosch

Post by Anonymous Bosch »

LordMortis wrote: Fri Nov 12, 2021 3:58 pm I'm getting this frequently from multiple machines, multiple ISPs, multiple DNS. Google stuff just freaks out and stop loading. Two things ward off the problem.

1) opening the window again in a private window
2) removing the s from https

3) using a different browser...

This has been going on for like two weeks. As many other things as I dislike about FF, I'm loathe to use the major competitors Chrome/Edge. This could change the game if I don't get an easy fix soon.

Anyone else get this? It can't just be me when it's across multiple everything... Though now that I think about it, GMail does happen across all devices... hrrmmm... Maybe a cache cleanse and no more gmail aka google trackers might fix it...
Personally, I prefer to deGoogle as much as possible.

But the suggestions provided in this Reddit thread may help with the difficulty you describe.
"There is only one basic human right, the right to do as you damn well please. And with it comes the only basic human duty, the duty to take the consequences." — P. J. O'Rourke
Jaymann

Post by Jaymann »

This is exactly why I resist every effort of Big Google to have me link my devices, much less use my phone to access my bank account (JFC!). Likewise with Microsoft trying to force me to use Edge every time I boot up. As far as I am concerned, convenience = death.
Jaymann
]==(:::::::::::::>
Black Lives Matter
LordMortis

Post by LordMortis »

use-cache setting didn't exist but it added when I typed it.

I'll see if that helps. Thanx

I'm afraid of the reddit thread bacause I don't understand what it is doing. I don't want to gimp the security of the browser to get google stuff to work better. Especially because google wants to spy on me as much as it possibly can.

https://www.reddit.com/r/firefox/commen ... except_in/

This describe me exactly
Last edited by LordMortis on Fri Nov 12, 2021 4:53 pm, edited 2 times in total.
hitbyambulance

Post by hitbyambulance »

i'm using FF and i do not have this issue, so it's something on your end.

first thing to always try is clear cache on page reload (or 'hard reload')

Hold down Ctrl, Shift and the 'R' key
or
Hold down Ctrl and press F5
LordMortis

Post by LordMortis »

Clearing cookies that manage data seem to work on this workstation. I'll have to hit the others.... after making sure google doesn't have me auto logged in.
Anonymous Bosch

Post by Anonymous Bosch »

LordMortis wrote: Fri Nov 12, 2021 4:41 pm use-cache setting didn't exist but it added when I typed it.

I'll see if that helps. Thanx

I'm afraid of the reddit thread bacause I don't understand what it is doing. I don't want to gimp the security of the browser to get google stuff to work better. Especially because google wants to spy on me as much as it possibly can.
FWIW, the first suggestion in the Reddit thread I linked to, of disabling 0-RTT, enhances your Firefox security and privacy, as explained in this Firefox Hardening guide:
wevpn.com wrote:Disable 0-RTT
Zero Round Trip Time Resumption (0-RTT) is a feature that is new in TLS 1.3 that allows a client and server to negotiate a connection with fewer steps, allowing https websites to load more quickly. There are two problems with this. First, in order to do this you lose forward secrecy (generating a new key for every session and throwing away the key when the session is over). Secondly, 0-RTT requires special implementation in order to prevent replay attacks, which some web developers will certainly fail to protect from. Disabling 0-RTT enhances security and privacy.

To Disable 0-RTT: Type security.tls.enable_0rtt_data into the search bar, and double click on the setting to set the feature to false. This will force full secure negotiation for all connections made by Firefox.
And the latter suggestion equates to flushing the cookies and site data of the problematic site(s).
"There is only one basic human right, the right to do as you damn well please. And with it comes the only basic human duty, the duty to take the consequences." — P. J. O'Rourke
LordMortis

Post by LordMortis »

Dammit. Nope not fixed. It really does seem to be a caching problem directly related to google. Going to go back and redo things. Also I'm going to see about updating my ad blocker.