[Disney+] The Book of Boba Fett

Everything else!

Moderators: Bakhtosh, EvilHomer3k

Smoove_B

Re: [Disney+] The Book of Boba Fett

Post by Smoove_B »

The parkour scene (to me) looked like something out of one of those live shows they do at the park.
Maybe next year, maybe no go
Carpet_pissr

Post by Carpet_pissr »

hepcat wrote: Mon Jan 03, 2022 12:46 pm
Seriously, there is no way I can ever watch a scene with parkour without immediately thinking of this. It has single-handedly destroyed any attempt to include such activity in a film for me.
Totally worth it, IMO, as that episode was hilarious.

The hilarity and absurdity of that episode > my potential enjoyment of "serious" parkour scenes in movies :D
El Guapo

Post by El Guapo »

ImLawBoy wrote: Mon Jan 03, 2022 11:42 am
hepcat wrote: Sun Jan 02, 2022 9:49 pm However, I do wish they had avoided including a parkour scene in the first episode. I can’t see one without immediately seeing Michael Scott, Dwight Schrute and Andy Bernard jumping around while yelling “PARKOUR” over and over again.
I actually shouted it during the scene, but I don't think my wife got the reference. Other than the parkour scene, which was really bad IMO, it was OK. Nothing spectacular but I'll watch to see if it builds to something.
Yeah I agree with that. Plus I trust Jon Favreau after the Mandalorian.
Black Lives Matter.
hepcat

Post by hepcat »

I was surprised to see it was directed by Robert Rodriguez. I know he had directed some of the Mandalorian episodes, but I didn’t realize he was associated with this. It was a pleasant surprise though, and certainly explained why it looked so good…parkour scene aside.
He won. Period.
LawBeefaroni
Forum Moderator

Post by LawBeefaroni »

My daughter: "That looks like...parkour?"
Me: "It is parkour."
Daughter, looking disappointed: "Why?"
Me: "I don't know, I guess people think it's cool?"
Daughter: "IT'S NOT!"
" Hey OP, listen to my advice alright." -Tha General
"No scientific discovery is named after its original discoverer." -Stigler's Law of Eponymy, discovered by Robert K. Merton

MYT
hepcat

Post by hepcat »

Now all that money you spent on parkour classes for her must seem like a waste!
He won. Period.
Carpet_pissr

Post by Carpet_pissr »

My first thought watching that scene was definitely not “ah-ha! Parkour!” Not even the second through tenth thought. Just looked like one SW ninja chasing two other SW ninjas to me, and jumping and moving….like ninjas. :)

Ninjas gonna ninja yo.
hepcat

Post by hepcat »

Friggin' ninjas. If you wanna cross a goddamn room, friggin' walk. No need to backflip everywhere, you morons. Man, I hate ninjas.
He won. Period.
JCC

Post by JCC »

Started this tonight. I think it's pretty damn great so far.
Black Lives Matter

"You know, the very powerful and the very stupid have one thing in common: they don't alter their views to fit the facts; they alter the facts to fit their views." - The 4th Doctor
LawBeefaroni
Forum Moderator

Post by LawBeefaroni »

Carpet_pissr wrote: Tue Jan 04, 2022 9:39 am My first thought watching that scene was definitely not “ah-ha! Parkour!” Not even the second through tenth thought. Just looked like one SW ninja chasing two other SW ninjas to me, and jumping and moving….like ninjas. :)

Ninjas gonna ninja yo.
They make some pretty distinctive parkour moves. The spin on the vertical pole pretty much made it look like a choreographed parkour demo. There's also an unnecessary wall-spin flourish that has no purpose except "PARKOUR!"

Which doesn't take away from the quality of the episode, it's just a decision to feature some rooftop parkour. The end of that scene made up for it.

I loved District B13 despite it's relentless parkour features.
"No scientific discovery is named after its original discoverer." -Stigler's Law of Eponymy, discovered by Robert K. Merton

MYT
hepcat

Post by hepcat »

I think District B13 was the first movie to actually feature parkour, wasn't it? I believe it single handedly made it a "thing". But like everything else that's wildly popular for a while, it became a running joke after everyone and their brother in law started adding it...just because.

The nail in the coffin was the Office scene.

And I totally agree that it doesn't mean the episode was bad. It was a throwaway scene in a show that I really enjoyed.

...but ninjas are still stupid. Walk, you idiot! No need to roll the 2 feet it takes to get to the door!
He won. Period.
TheMix

Post by TheMix »

LawBeefaroni wrote: Thu Jan 06, 2022 1:45 pm I loved District B13 despite it's relentless parkour features.
I think it should be noted that District B13 was the first movie to use parkour and was created specifically to showcase it. One of the main actors is credited with creating parkour. Calling it "relentless" seems to be missing the point completely.

Unless you are referring to the American version of the movie. Which, I suppose, gets a pass since it's a remake of the French movie.

Black Lives Matter

Isgrimnur - Facebook makes you hate your friends and family. LinkedIn makes you hate you co-workers. NextDoor makes you hate your neighbors.
TheMix

Post by TheMix »

Damn it! Bammed by my need to check my facts before hitting post! Go ahead, hep. You earned it. :D

Black Lives Matter

Isgrimnur - Facebook makes you hate your friends and family. LinkedIn makes you hate you co-workers. NextDoor makes you hate your neighbors.
hepcat

Post by hepcat »

According to IMDB, Brick Mansions was the American remake of District B13. District B13 is the French original.
He won. Period.
hepcat

Post by hepcat »

TheMix wrote: Thu Jan 06, 2022 1:59 pm Damn it! Bammed by my need to check my facts before hitting post! Go ahead, hep. You earned it. :D

:lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol:
He won. Period.
TheMix

Post by TheMix »

hepcat wrote: Thu Jan 06, 2022 1:59 pm According to IMDB, Brick Mansions was the American remake of District B13. District B13 is the French original.
Thanks. I can never remember the names. I thought they were more similar. But it's probably just my faulty memory. Weird. I even looked it up. That name rings no bells. But I saw it. I probably spent most of the movie going "is this District B13? but... I don't remember Paul Walker in it...."

Black Lives Matter

hepcat

Post by hepcat »

I knew about Brick Mansions, but I had no idea it was a remake of District B13. I just knew about it because it was brought up a few times after Paul Walker tragically died.
He won. Period.
TheMix

Post by TheMix »

I'm an unabashed fan of District B13. I own a copy. But I saw it before parkour was a thing. So I was surprised and blown away by a lot of the scenes. Just the opening scene with David Bell running around the apartment building being chased by thugs is crazy. But if I saw it today, I probably would be all "oh, look, more parkour, yay".

Edit: Oh, and, also, it didn't need to be remade.

Black Lives Matter

Zarathud

[Disney+] The Book of Boba Fett

Post by Zarathud »

That reminds me of the scene in Black Widow where Natasha was accused of being a “big poser” for her comic book poses upon landing.
"If the facts don't fit the theory, change the facts." - Albert Einstein
"I don't stand by anything." - Trump
“Bad men need nothing more to compass their ends, than that good men should look on and do nothing.” - John Stuart Mill, Inaugural Address Delivered to the University of St Andrews, 2/1/1867
“It is the impractical things in this tumultuous hell-scape of a world that matter most. A book, a name, chicken soup. They help us remember that, even in our darkest hour, life is still to be savored.” - Poe, Altered Carbon
A nonny mouse

Post by A nonny mouse »

hepcat wrote: Tue Jan 04, 2022 10:04 am Friggin' ninjas. If you wanna cross a goddamn room, friggin' walk. No need to backflip everywhere, you morons. Man, I hate ninjas.
. . After they took his advice, Hepcat never heard them coming . . .
I find television very educational. Every time somebody turns on the set, I go into the other room and read a book. - Groucho Marx
hepcat

Post by hepcat »

...crap...what have I done?
He won. Period.
LawBeefaroni
Forum Moderator

Post by LawBeefaroni »

TheMix wrote: Thu Jan 06, 2022 1:58 pm
LawBeefaroni wrote: Thu Jan 06, 2022 1:45 pm I loved District B13 despite it's relentless parkour features.
I think it should be noted that District B13 was the first movie to use parkour and was created specifically to showcase it. One of the main actors is credited with creating parkour. Calling it "relentless" seems to be missing the point completely.
It's fun to watch (like I said, I loved it) and yes, it was one of the first to feature parkour but after a while seeing henchmen deciding to take a running leap to their deaths instead of popping off a shot at the fleeing hero was distracting.

I feel the same about gun kata, a genre I love but sometimes just have chuckle in forced suspension of disbelief.

MYT
hepcat

Post by hepcat »

Equilibrium is the only gun kata film you need.
He won. Period.
LordMortis

Post by LordMortis »

LawBeefaroni wrote: Thu Jan 06, 2022 3:57 pm
TheMix wrote: Thu Jan 06, 2022 1:58 pm
It's fun to watch (like I said, I loved it) and yes, it was one of the first to feature parkour but after a while seeing henchmen deciding to take a running leap to their deaths instead of popping off a shot at the fleeing hero was distracting.

I feel the same about gun kata, a genre I love but sometimes just have chuckle in forced suspension of disbelief.
I loved me some Jackie Chan back in the day parkour just always felt like an extension of his choreographed dance set to running rather than fighting. I enjoyed it well enough. I've never seen District B13, but some of the Jamson Bournd stuff was extreme jogging fun.
Holman

Post by Holman »

No talk about the second episode?

I thought it was stronger than the first. Good mix of well-done action and expanded lore, plus...
Spoiler:
an entirely unexpected psychotropic nose-lizard.
Much prefer my Nazis Nuremberged.
LawBeefaroni
Forum Moderator

Post by LawBeefaroni »

Holman wrote: Thu Jan 06, 2022 5:16 pm No talk about the second episode?
Thought it was out on Fridays. If it's out now I'll probably watch with the kiddo tonight.

MYT
Holman

Post by Holman »

LawBeefaroni wrote: Thu Jan 06, 2022 5:35 pm
Thought it was out on Fridays. If it's out now I'll probably watch with the kiddo tonight.
My kid gets up at 5:00 am to watch new episodes on Wednesdays, just like THE MANDALORIAN.
Sudy

Post by Sudy »

I thought it was stronger than the first. Good mix of well-done action and expanded lore, plus...
Spoiler:
an entirely unexpected psychotropic nose-lizard.
And
Spoiler:
GLADIATOR WOOKIE

I saw a commercial on late night TV. It said, "Forget everything you know about slipcovers." So I did. And it was a load off my mind. Then the commercial tried to sell me slipcovers, and I didn't know what the hell they were. -- Mitch Hedberg
Holman

Post by Holman »

One thing I only now realized is that the Twi'lek madam of The Sanctuary (apparently a free-thinking swinger's club in Mos Espa) is played by Jennifer Beals. Yes, Jennifer Beals of the 1980s movie FLASHDANCE.

She's almost 60 and looks amazing.
Sudy

Post by Sudy »

That's just the prosthetics.

I saw a commercial on late night TV. It said, "Forget everything you know about slipcovers." So I did. And it was a load off my mind. Then the commercial tried to sell me slipcovers, and I didn't know what the hell they were. -- Mitch Hedberg
Holman

Post by Holman »

Sudy wrote: Thu Jan 06, 2022 7:51 pm That's just the prosthetics.
I'll admit it: head tentacles are frikking hot.
Sudy

Post by Sudy »

They're called lekku.

Holman

Post by Holman »

Sudy wrote: Thu Jan 06, 2022 7:57 pm They're called lekku.
...keep talking, baby....
Sudy

Post by Sudy »

Enlarge Image

Holman

Post by Holman »

*shrugs*
Sudy

Post by Sudy »

I enjoyed episode 3's flashback portion more than the current story. The notable guest stars seemed under-utilized. A couple subplots were annoyingly cartoony. (I'm not certain I wasn't playing an old FMV game.) I'm not sure if I like where things appear to be headed, though I'm optimistic it will contain more wookiees.

I'm also struggling with Fett seeming to be higher on the moral alignment scale than some of the universe's heroes. I get that there's an arc that occurs both within other media and within this series itself (that's half what it's been about so far), but I feel like what we're seeing is just uncharacteristic. But I guess I'm placing too much emphasis on ESB/RotJ and the old expanded universe.
Last edited by Sudy on Fri Jan 14, 2022 5:25 pm, edited 1 time in total.

hepcat

Post by hepcat »

I also am starting to have trouble with new and improved Boba. Also, the gang he hired looks like they stepped out of a Joel Schumacher Batman movie. The cast of Newsies is more intimidating.
He won. Period.
Freyland

Post by Freyland »

The street gang looks way too fancy for kids out of work.
The Water Broker scene at the palace felt like an MMO -- "Kill 10 rats for me and I will double your tribute!"
Sims 3 and signature unclear.
El Guapo

Post by El Guapo »

Yeah the surly teens with multicolor space mopeds were a little laughable.
Black Lives Matter.
hepcat

Post by hepcat »

And was the girl wearing a denim jacket and skirt...with buttons on it, for christ's sake?

This is what Boba is going for with his gang.

He won. Period.