[Disney+] The Book of Boba Fett

Everything else!

Moderators: Bakhtosh, EvilHomer3k

Smoove_B

[Disney+] The Book of Boba Fett

Post by Smoove_B »

First official trailer, streaming 12/29/21 on Disney+

EDIT: Sorry for the confusion. :lol:
Last edited by Smoove_B on Mon Nov 01, 2021 1:42 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Maybe next year, maybe no go
hepcat

Re: [D+] The Book of Boba Fett

Post by hepcat »

At first I thought the "D+" was your review of the show.
Covfefe!
AWS260

Re: [Disney+] The Book of Boba Fett

Post by AWS260 »

I'm sure I'll watch it, but that trailer was kind of... dull.
Anonymous Bosch

Post by Anonymous Bosch »

AWS260 wrote: Mon Nov 01, 2021 1:49 pm I'm sure I'll watch it, but that trailer was kind of... dull.
Alas, such is life for Boba the Bookworm.
"There is only one basic human right, the right to do as you damn well please. And with it comes the only basic human duty, the duty to take the consequences." — P. J. O'Rourke
El Guapo

Post by El Guapo »

I'll watch this if it gets good reviews, but overall I'm just not that interested in Boba Fett as a character.
Black Lives Matter.
Skinypupy

Post by Skinypupy »

AWS260 wrote: Mon Nov 01, 2021 1:49 pm I'm sure I'll watch it, but that trailer was kind of... dull.
Agreed. That didn't get me particularly interested.
When darkness veils the world, four Warriors of Light shall come.
Smoove_B

Post by Smoove_B »

El Guapo wrote: Mon Nov 01, 2021 2:07 pm I'll watch this if it gets good reviews, but overall I'm just not that interested in Boba Fett as a character.
Which is weird, because 9 year old me is still only interested in Boba Fett as a character.
hepcat

Post by hepcat »

55 year old me just loves looking at Ming-Na Wen. :wub:

Seriously, she's older than me and looks to be 20. How is that even human?
Covfefe!
Smoove_B

Post by Smoove_B »

I really enjoyed her on S.H.I.E.L.D. so I'm glad to see she's continuing with more Disney stuff - that her appearance in the Mandalorian wasn't a one-off. No idea at all how she's 57, but yeah.
Sudy

Post by Sudy »

I realize it's not an original sentiment, but it's obvious that the more you reveal about a mysterious character, the more it dispels their mystique. Of course, a lot of that damage was already done by the prequels, but I think in many people's minds the post-Disney universe was being treated as a soft reset, even though the prequels remain canon. The Mandalorian has been mostly great, though suffers from some of the same issues even when it's not interacting with established characters and settings. "Why does a key character have to reference Yoda?" "This isn't the Mandalorian culture I imagined." (It is pretty cool though, and of course it was already explored many times both in and now outside-canon.) But eventually you have to accept, if you want more Star Wars you just have to cross your fingers and trust the new creators to get the spirit right. Very few sequels or spin-offs can ever live up to the mystery of "what's out there".

Part of me does worry that we're heading down the Marvel Netflix (and now Disney+) path of arguably too much content though. I like to binge just as much as the next person, but when there's too much "required viewing" it can start to feel like an obligation. (And this this is only one of multiple SW series on the way.) I'm definitely happier with the shorter seasons and one-off series though. I'm OK with shows running longer if they warrant it, but it's one way to try to prevent things from getting too watered down.

I saw a commercial on late night TV. It said, "Forget everything you know about slipcovers." So I did. And it was a load off my mind. Then the commercial tried to sell me slipcovers, and I didn't know what the hell they were. -- Mitch Hedberg
JCC

Post by JCC »

I would actually say that I think Boba Fett is far more interesting now than he was when all my friends went apeshit over him after Empire Strikes Back came out. I never got why so many people were fascinated by a character who is barely in the movie. (Back in the ancient days when only 2 Star Wars movies existed. Also I never did/have seen the 1978 holiday special.)

I think the prequels and the Mandalorian (and this new show) have me much more interested in the character now than I was then.
Black Lives Matter

"You know, the very powerful and the very stupid have one thing in common: they don't alter their views to fit the facts; they alter the facts to fit their views." - The 4th Doctor
JCC

Post by JCC »

And add me to those shocked that Ming-Na Wen is 3 days older than Doctor Who (the show). She has lived a clean life or found Dick Clark's fountain of youth cream. #PoliceSquad
Black Lives Matter

"You know, the very powerful and the very stupid have one thing in common: they don't alter their views to fit the facts; they alter the facts to fit their views." - The 4th Doctor
Sudy

Post by Sudy »

JCC wrote: Mon Nov 01, 2021 3:26 pm I would actually say that I think Boba Fett is far more interesting now than he was when all my friends went apeshit over him after Empire Strikes Back came out. I never got why so many people were fascinated by a character who is barely in the movie.
Specifically because we knew so little about him, yet he was set up to be feared and played a small but critical part in the plot. But I can accept that wouldn't excite everyone, sure. There's just obviously some commonality since I found him just as compelling when I saw the film for the first time as a kid in the mid-90s.

To contrast, I think seeing a young Anakin would have been disappointing even if the prequels were similar in quality to the original trilogy. I'm not saying Boba Fett is comparable to Darth Vader, but there are certainly parallels.

I think Temuera Morrison is wonderful however, and can't wait to see what else he brings to the role.

I saw a commercial on late night TV. It said, "Forget everything you know about slipcovers." So I did. And it was a load off my mind. Then the commercial tried to sell me slipcovers, and I didn't know what the hell they were. -- Mitch Hedberg
McNutt

Post by McNutt »

So this is like The Sopranos of Tattoine.
hepcat

Post by hepcat »

And baby yoda is Dr. Melfi.
Covfefe!
Daehawk

Post by Daehawk »

hepcat wrote: Mon Nov 01, 2021 2:23 pm 55 year old me just loves looking at Ming-Na Wen. :wub:

Seriously, she's older than me and looks to be 20. How is that even human?

Hands off! Ive had dibbs since ER :)
--------------------------------------------
I am Dyslexic of Borg, prepare to have your ass laminated.
I guess Ray Butts has ate his last pancake.
http://steamcommunity.com/id/daehawk
"Has high IQ. Refuses to apply it"
hepcat

Post by hepcat »

Welp, it just got creepy. Or at least creepier. Thanks. :P
Covfefe!
Smoove_B

Post by Smoove_B »

Holman

Post by Holman »

Much prefer my Nazis Nuremberged.
LawBeefaroni
Forum Moderator

Post by LawBeefaroni »

Kinda.

Full filibuster:

My guess is that Boba Fett scene is a nod to P&R.
" Hey OP, listen to my advice alright." -Tha General
"No scientific discovery is named after its original discoverer." -Stigler's Law of Eponymy, discovered by Robert K. Merton

MYT
Sudy

Post by Sudy »

How many other ways was it going to go?

I have nitpicks about the first episode and the over-reliance on familiar things (similar to The Mandalorian), but in short... this is all I ever wanted from a Star Wars sequel. It's not all how I imagined it, but it's fun and inspires wonder! I do worry it's going to be a little too like The Mandalorian, but it's not as if that would be a bad thing.

Freyland

Post by Freyland »

Fight scenes felt flat, and the Sand People swore too much but other than that it was fine.
Sims 3 and signature unclear.
ydejin

Post by ydejin »

I came in with very low expectations and quite enjoyed it. For anyone who already has Disney+ IMO it’s definitely worth a watch. It’s a tougher question as to whether or not it’s worth signing up for.

My impression is: those who came in really wanting Boba Fett to be the ultimate bad ass were rather disappointed by episode 1. For the Ming-Na Wen fans upthread, she is prominently featured through much of the episode and there were a few times I felt like I was watching a live action of her character from The Bad Batch Clone Wars cartoon complete with some serious parkour moves at one point.

Personally I was just really happy to have more live action Star Wars after a full year since Mandalorian season two ended.
YellowKing

Post by YellowKing »

I've slowly come to accept that Star Wars is no longer "my" thing, it's "a" thing. It's hard to let go of something that was such a big part of your childhood, but after so many prequels, sequels, shows, etc. I've finally reached the point where I'm numb enough that I'm not automatically triggered by anything that doesn't feel "original trilogy."

I've tried to keep in mind that what I have now is what my childhood self would have viewed as an utter paradise - new Star Wars movies coming out regulary, Star Wars on television, Star Wars theme parks! We lived for 16 years with ZERO Star Wars in our lives after Return of the Jedi. I literally grew up from the age of 9 to 25 with NOTHING.

We '80s kids asked for this, so I'm trying not to look a gift Boba Fett in the mouth. :D
El Guapo

Post by El Guapo »

I watched it with little in the way of expectations and enjoyed it fine - enjoyable but not spectacular thus far (though the first episode is very much not a complete story in and of itself). I thought the storytelling mechanism of flashbacks mixed in with what is ostensibly the present was interesting. To the extent that part of the story is going to tell the story of the Tuskan Raiders in more detail than just "scary people who yell and shake sticks" that's potentially interesting.
Black Lives Matter.
Carpet_pissr

Post by Carpet_pissr »

YellowKing wrote: Thu Dec 30, 2021 10:08 am I've slowly come to accept that Star Wars is no longer "my" thing, it's "a" thing. It's hard to let go of something that was such a big part of your childhood, but after so many prequels, sequels, shows, etc. I've finally reached the point where I'm numb enough that I'm not automatically triggered by anything that doesn't feel "original trilogy."

I've tried to keep in mind that what I have now is what my childhood self would have viewed as an utter paradise - new Star Wars movies coming out regulary, Star Wars on television, Star Wars theme parks! We lived for 16 years with ZERO Star Wars in our lives after Return of the Jedi. I literally grew up from the age of 9 to 25 with NOTHING.

We '80s kids asked for this, so I'm trying not to look a gift Boba Fett in the mouth. :D
I feel ya.
1. We’re older, with very different perspectives (hopefully) from when we were 12. Given the option, I would have gorged on anything I loved at that age with not much if any thought to the consequences.
2. Just like dearth, too much of a good thing…is a thing. Hollywood, Disney in particular, don’t seem to get that, or don’t care. They will keep throwing up SW content as long as it makes money, no matter the impact on the IP long term, or us 80’s kids’ idea that SW is/was special somehow.

I’m personally ambivalent about it, oddly. Like you, SW was a massive part of my younger self. Saved up doing neighborhood jobs so I could buy the massive Kenner AT-AT, etc.

And though I really enjoyed (and loved a few) of the recent SW movies, it’s just…too much now. They are going to burn me out on SW just like they did on Marvel. It’s just…overwhelming.

Too bad their business model does not apparently consider “run it into the ground” as a bad outcome.

And FWIW I loved The Mandalorian. :p
Smoove_B

Post by Smoove_B »

As a casual Star Wars fan an unrepentant fan of Boba Fett since I saw him for 37 seconds total in the movies as a kid, this show is exactly what I'm looking for.

The only thing that could have made it better was if the droid (voiced by Matt Berry) said "Introducing...Ray Bloody Purchase". What a cameo!
Jaymann

Post by Jaymann »

Watched it, will watch more. Interesting to see the lizard man from Star Trek has grown a couple more arms. And it's that Robert Rodriguez.
Jaymann
]==(:::::::::::::>
Black Lives Matter
Scraper

Post by Scraper »

I watched the first episode. I thought it was underwhelming. The pacing was slow and the fight scenes weren't great, I didn't buy into them at all. It could have been the directing or editing of the scenes. BUT, i can see how it could get better and this episode could easily end up being an anomaly for me after the rest of the season is released.
FTE
Carpet_pissr

Post by Carpet_pissr »

Smoove_B wrote: Thu Dec 30, 2021 12:08 pm As a casual Star Wars fan an unrepentant fan of Boba Fett since I saw him for 37 seconds total in the movies as a kid, this show is exactly what I'm looking for.

The only thing that could have made it better was if the droid (voiced by Matt Berry) said "Introducing...Ray Bloody Purchase". What a cameo!
Agree on all counts.

Did not realize it was Matt Berry. Could they not have somehow squeezed in a Clem Fandango reference?!

Loved it, will watch more, so I guess I’m not quite at peak ‘too much Star Wars’ yet, contrary to my post above.
Smoove_B

Post by Smoove_B »

Carpet_pissr wrote: Sat Jan 01, 2022 12:45 pm Did not realize it was Matt Berry. Could they not have somehow squeezed in a Clem Fandango reference?!
Exactly! I didn't know it was him either but when his name popped up in the credits, I had to run to the internet to figure out who he was.
malchior

Post by malchior »

My wife picked up it was Matt Berry immediately - "That's a Toastbot!". As to the episode, neither of us were super into it but hope it was just laying the foundation for the show.
Exodor

Post by Exodor »

I'm a long-time Star Wars fan but I never really understood the fascination with Boba Fett. I mean, he didn't really DO much in ESB/RoTJ other than fly into the Sarlaac pit.

But I really enjoyed the first episode and I'm anxious to see more. It's definitely very Mandalorian-y - if you didn't like that series you probably won't like this either.
Carpet_pissr

Post by Carpet_pissr »

Exodor wrote: Sun Jan 02, 2022 12:45 pm I'm a long-time Star Wars fan but I never really understood the fascination with Boba Fett. I mean, he didn't really DO much in ESB/RoTJ other than fly into the Sarlaac pit.

But I really enjoyed the first episode and I'm anxious to see more. It's definitely very Mandalorian-y - if you didn't like that series you probably won't like this either.
Reaching way back in my memory, the reason my 2nd or 3rd grade self loved Boba Fett was because he looked cooler than almost every other SW figure (I'm referring to the action figure here, and IIRC he was super rare). Huge bonus coolness factor: The "rocket". I can specifically remember us playing "Star Wars" (live action :P) on the playground at school and everybody wanted to be Boba Fett.

Also, "silent bad-ass" was not a minor draw I guess.
Sudy

Post by Sudy »

The mask and the mystique.

But we wanted to know more about all the characters before they were easily referenceable on the internet.

For the longest time the expanded universe seemed to be suggesting the Mandalorians were a long-extinct race of warriors and Boba Fett just found/stole their armour. Then all of a sudden you couldn't toss a gaderffii stick without hitting one.

Then Attack of the Clones came around and made him a kid with a tragic origin and we all turned away and never looked back.

Zarathud

Post by Zarathud »

Anyone who Darth Vader hires to catch Han Solo, and Vader is afraid he’ll disintegrate them, is pretty bad ass. And Boba Fett succeeds!

Also in the comic books the Mandaloreans were Jedi-killing elite commandos who were defeated in the Clone Wars where Jedi were cloned to fight. Boba Fett was one of the last survivors, and not Saarlac food.

He’s still cool as Stormtrooper Clone Prime from the Prequels. The Mandalorean rehabilitated the comic book backstory and delivered the elite squad I was promised at age 11. My hope is Book of Boba Fett delivers the rest of Hive of Scum and Villainy promised in all of Star Wars and teased in Solo.
"If the facts don't fit the theory, change the facts." - Albert Einstein
"I don't stand by anything." - Trump
“Bad men need nothing more to compass their ends, than that good men should look on and do nothing.” - John Stuart Mill, Inaugural Address Delivered to the University of St Andrews, 2/1/1867
“It is the impractical things in this tumultuous hell-scape of a world that matter most. A book, a name, chicken soup. They help us remember that, even in our darkest hour, life is still to be savored.” - Poe, Altered Carbon
hepcat

Post by hepcat »

I enjoyed it more than I thought I would. But that may be more because I like the actor and actress playing the leads. However, I do wish they had avoided including a parkour scene in the first episode. I can’t see one without immediately seeing Michael Scott, Dwight Schrute and Andy Bernard jumping around while yelling “PARKOUR” over and over again.

And yes, a single Ray Bloody Purchase from his robot would have gone a long way with me.
Covfefe!
ImLawBoy
Forum Admin

Post by ImLawBoy »

hepcat wrote: Sun Jan 02, 2022 9:49 pm However, I do wish they had avoided including a parkour scene in the first episode. I can’t see one without immediately seeing Michael Scott, Dwight Schrute and Andy Bernard jumping around while yelling “PARKOUR” over and over again.
I actually shouted it during the scene, but I don't think my wife got the reference. Other than the parkour scene, which was really bad IMO, it was OK. Nothing spectacular but I'll watch to see if it builds to something.
That's my purse! I don't know you!
Jaymann

Post by Jaymann »

Seems like there's a drinking game lurking in there somewhere.
Jaymann
]==(:::::::::::::>
Black Lives Matter
hepcat

Post by hepcat »

Seriously, there is no way I can ever watch a scene with parkour without immediately thinking of this. It has single-handedly destroyed any attempt to include such activity in a film for me.
Covfefe!