[Disney+] The Book of Boba Fett

Everything else!

Moderators: Bakhtosh, EvilHomer3k

Blackhawk

Re: [Disney+] The Book of Boba Fett

Post by Blackhawk »

We were kids. Boba Fett had a look and style that fired our imagination. He just looked cool. We weren't worried about counting his lines to justify our interest.

It's something that we lose as adults, and that is easy to forget.
(˙pǝsɹǝʌǝɹ uǝǝq sɐɥ ʎʇıʌɐɹƃ ʃɐuosɹǝd ʎW)
Hrothgar

Post by Hrothgar »

hepcat wrote: Fri Jan 21, 2022 12:55 pm ...through the power of song and dance!

Coincidently, my son's friend is in a high school production of Newsies. I'll have to let you know if any bounty hunters or hoverbikes show up in the production.
hepcat

Post by hepcat »

Extra points if they’re neon hover bikes.

I keep expecting one of Fett’s gang to show up wearing a piano keyboard tie.
Covfefe!
Hrothgar

Post by Hrothgar »

Disappointing. Teddy Roosevelt was as close as we came to a bounty hunter. No hoverbikes neon or otherwise. And tap dancing is definitely not the same as Parkour!

Fortunately, we can now buy this shirt:

hepcat

Post by hepcat »

Oh man, I’d love a Book of Teddy Roosevelt series. However, I wouldn’t want it written by the Boba folks. We’d end up with Teddy leading a pack of cute, trained dogs he calls the Ruff Riders.
Covfefe!
Zarathud

Post by Zarathud »

Tweet that at your own risk.
"If the facts don't fit the theory, change the facts." - Albert Einstein
"I don't stand by anything." - Trump
“Bad men need nothing more to compass their ends, than that good men should look on and do nothing.” - John Stuart Mill, Inaugural Address Delivered to the University of St Andrews, 2/1/1867
“It is the impractical things in this tumultuous hell-scape of a world that matter most. A book, a name, chicken soup. They help us remember that, even in our darkest hour, life is still to be savored.” - Poe, Altered Carbon
Hamlet3145

Post by Hamlet3145 »

So, um, that was a straight up episode of . . . .
Spoiler:
. . . THE MANDALORIAN. And I am here for it.
naednek

Post by naednek »

Hamlet3145 wrote: Wed Jan 26, 2022 7:15 pm So, um, that was a straight up episode of . . . .
Spoiler:
ya and this episode makes you remember that
Spoiler:
The Mandalorian series is much better and interesting)
hepcat - "I agree with Naednek"
$iljanus
Forum Moderator

Post by $iljanus »

Hamlet3145 wrote: Wed Jan 26, 2022 7:15 pm So, um, that was a straight up episode of . . . .
Spoiler:
As soon as I heard the music I did a happy dance!
Black lives matter!

Wise words of warning from Smoove B: Oh, how you all laughed when I warned you about the semen. Well, who's laughing now?
Daveman

Post by Daveman »

$iljanus wrote: Wed Jan 26, 2022 7:29 pmAs soon as I heard the music I did a happy dance!
When they ended last episode with that I thought...
Spoiler:
The "muscle" was going to be part of his coven or similar Mandalorian, not Mando himself. I was pleasantly surprised! Ditto all the "best episode of Book of Boba Fett was Mando season 2.5" thoughts.

As cool as his Naboo starfighter is, it doesn't seem too practical for a bounty hunter. I assume he'll just start tossing heads in the astro mech tube?
$iljanus
Forum Moderator

Post by $iljanus »

Daveman wrote: Wed Jan 26, 2022 9:02 pm
$iljanus wrote: Wed Jan 26, 2022 7:29 pmAs soon as I heard the music I did a happy dance!
Spoiler:
The "muscle" was going to be part of his coven or similar Mandalorian, not Mando himself. I was pleasantly surprised! Ditto all the "best episode of Book of Boba Fett was Mando season 2.5" thoughts.

As cool as his Naboo starfighter is, it doesn't seem too practical for a bounty hunter. I assume he'll just start tossing heads in the astro mech tube?
Spoiler:
I guess if he brings his bounty in “cold” he can strap the carbonite slab to the ship like a mattress?
Black lives matter!

Wise words of warning from Smoove B: Oh, how you all laughed when I warned you about the semen. Well, who's laughing now?
JCC

Post by JCC »

Seemed an odd thing to do for a limited series. But, it was great!
Black Lives Matter

"You know, the very powerful and the very stupid have one thing in common: they don't alter their views to fit the facts; they alter the facts to fit their views." - The 4th Doctor
Daveman

Post by Daveman »

$iljanus wrote: Wed Jan 26, 2022 9:10 pm
Spoiler:

Spoiler:
I guess if he brings his bounty in “cold” he can strap the carbonite slab to the ship like a mattress?
Spoiler:
True, plus the emptied out astro mech tube practically screams "Insert Grogu here".
Freyland

Post by Freyland »

Daveman wrote: Wed Jan 26, 2022 9:16 pm
$iljanus wrote: Wed Jan 26, 2022 9:10 pm
Spoiler:

Spoiler:
Spoiler:
True, plus the emptied out astro mech tube practically screams "Insert Grogu here".
Spoiler:
Plus the little shit can't reach anything!
Sims 3 and signature unclear.
Jag

Post by Jag »

What a fantastic episode. I almost fainted when he whipped out his
Spoiler:
DARKSABER!
For those who don't know
LawBeefaroni
Forum Moderator

Post by LawBeefaroni »

Blackhawk wrote: Fri Jan 21, 2022 4:21 pm Honestly - and no offense to the actor - but he shows his age. He moves like he's elderly. He's slow, awkward, and hesitant. It just isn't convincing as the badass early-40s Boba Fett who just spent five years undergoing even more intense combat training.
He also almost died several times, with all the accompanying injuries and scars, and has to sleep in a bacta tank every night. He's not going to be spiderman. I buy it, though I'd expect him to go to the gun more than the Tusken staff

Remember, we think it's an amazing feat of longevity when someone plays pro football into their 40s, and it is. I imagine being Boba Fett is even more taxing on the body than pro football. (Unless you play behind the Detroit o-line)
" Hey OP, listen to my advice alright." -Tha General
"No scientific discovery is named after its original discoverer." -Stigler's Law of Eponymy, discovered by Robert K. Merton

MYT
Blackhawk

Post by Blackhawk »

Counter argument: It's Star Wars. The badass fighting is supposed to look like a badass fighting, not like Mr. McMurphy trying to sweep the front porch.
Daehawk

Post by Daehawk »

Well he was just 42 in AotC. Now 61. Also Wen is almost 60 at 58. It really is lost on me how much time has passed since 2002.
--------------------------------------------
I am Dyslexic of Borg, prepare to have your ass laminated.
I guess Ray Butts has ate his last pancake.
http://steamcommunity.com/id/daehawk
"Has high IQ. Refuses to apply it"
Holman

Post by Holman »

Spoiler:
Yup...
Spoiler:
It felt like a letdown to me. Not only was the Razor Crest much cooler, it was *actually new* to Star Wars!

Doing a callback to *Episode I* (of all things) and insisting that it's inherently awesome feels like self-parody.
Much prefer my Nazis Nuremberged.
Sudy

Post by Sudy »

Spoiler:
The ring world setting was outstanding. It was the first time in a long time that I felt like I was being shown a new part of the universe that really felt like Star Wars. As confusing of a departure this episode was, I couldn't get enough of it. I want to see a series set there with all new characters.

Amy Sedaris's character is a bit much, but it's lightheartedness I can handle. The whole second half got a bit silly, though. Oh, it was nice for that transport to hang around just long enough for you to buzz the kid you sat behind on the trip in.

I'll admit I can't keep track of the Mandalorians and their rules. Do they make love in those helmets? How do they eat?

As for the ship, I'm torn. As much as I appreciate the attempt to integrate the prequels into new content, it's a reminder I never enjoy (together with the too-emotive droids). Visual-design-wise, the prequels were great, even if the ships didn't always feel era-appropriate in my headcanon. So seeing it fly around is cool, and while I don't understand why a bounty hunter would fly a fighter, I look forward to seeing how he deals with its limitations.

As for the prospect of seeing Grogu again, so soon... I think it's a mistake. If you're going to make him a permanent member of the cast, that's fine. But you undo what was special about the hunt for "his own kind". Otherwise, give Din a new sidekick or two, since he lost the crazy conservative lady also.

I saw a commercial on late night TV. It said, "Forget everything you know about slipcovers." So I did. And it was a load off my mind. Then the commercial tried to sell me slipcovers, and I didn't know what the hell they were. -- Mitch Hedberg
Blackhawk

Post by Blackhawk »

Sudy wrote: Fri Jan 28, 2022 2:11 am I'll admit I can't keep track of the Mandalorians and their rules. Do they make love in those helmets? How do they eat?
[/spoiler]
Spoiler:
Didn't we see him take the helmet off to eat while alone in his ship in the other series? I always assumed it meant in the presence of others.
Hamlet3145

Post by Hamlet3145 »

Just watched episode 6. It is honestly like they realized the first episodes of the series were not really working and decided, "Screw it. We're just going to do anything we want for the rest of the season.

I literally don't even know how to talk about episode 6. I do highly recommend staying away from any spoiler sources until you watch it. View it today if you can.
JCC

Post by JCC »

I strongly disagree with the prevailing view around here that this season has been disappointing before last week. But, diffrences of opinions aside, this week's episode was mind blowing for me. My jaw dropped multiple times. Can't wait for the finale.
Black Lives Matter

"You know, the very powerful and the very stupid have one thing in common: they don't alter their views to fit the facts; they alter the facts to fit their views." - The 4th Doctor
ydejin

Post by ydejin »

JCC wrote: Wed Feb 02, 2022 6:11 pm I strongly disagree with the prevailing view around here that this season has been disappointing before last week. But, diffrences of opinions aside, this week's episode was mind blowing for me. My jaw dropped multiple times. Can't wait for the finale.
I loved Episode 2 with the Train. I thought 1 and 4 were decent. 3 had its moments, but I really don’t like the shiny biker gang, at least for this setting — would have been fine on Coruscant if they were presented as bunch of spoiled upper-middle class kids looking for trouble, but they seem pretty silly as a bunch of kids so poor they have to steal water. Black Krrsantan on the other hand is awesome.

I was enjoying it well before Episode 5, but Episodes 5 and 6 have been terrific.
Lassr

Post by Lassr »

Episode 6...WOW.

I mean, it doesn't seem to fit the story but ...WOW.

I've really enjoyed the series, the bike chase was stupid, but it's Star Wars and I still geek out over it.
The only reason people get lost in thought is because it's unfamiliar territory.

Black Lives Matter
wonderpug

Post by wonderpug »

Such a fun episode. And I'm amazed how good that kind of special effect is getting.
Spoiler:
Leia and Tarkin in Rogue One were fine. Clearly CGI, but got the job done decently enough. Luke in Mandalorian was about the same. But in this one? Extremely convincing.
Baroquen

Post by Baroquen »

wonderpug wrote: Thu Feb 03, 2022 1:50 am Such a fun episode. And I'm amazed how good that kind of special effect is getting.
Spoiler:
Leia and Tarkin in Rogue One were fine. Clearly CGI, but got the job done decently enough. Luke in Mandalorian was about the same. But in this one? Extremely convincing.
Spoiler:
My wife read that Lucasfilm hired one of the internet "deep fake" guys to punch up the de-aging effects. That would make sense, though I didn't dig to confirm the story. But I agree - it looks much better, not that it was bad before.

As others said - episode 6 was pretty great IMO. I don't really get the narrative arc of the plot, since we barely saw Boba in this entire episode. And when we went from Boba and company to Mando last episode, and then totally left Mando for Grogu/Luke for a couple scenes that was a little jarring. But totally entertaining.

I thought Cad Bane looked a little... less than impressive in "real life" compared to the animation, but what a cool character to bring over.

Looking forward to the finale...
Hamlet3145

Post by Hamlet3145 »

Some reflections on Episode 6:
Spoiler:
Holy crap--Luke looks better now. They really upgraded whatever tech they were using.

Did not expect Ahsoka at all. A small thing, but I thought it was an interesting touch that Luke slightly deferred to her when they were talking. I keep forgetting that she is like 20 years older than him and much more experienced (even if he is kind of a prodigy). I do wish we got to see them when they first met (because wouldn't that be an interesting conversation), but that could easily be done in a flashback.

I can't think of another TV show based on a singular character where they basically ignored said main character for two episodes in a row. I'm not complaining because the episodes were great--it's just bizarre. I think the main take away here is that all of these shows (at least the ones set about 5 years after Jedi) are meant to be taken as a whole.

I imagine next week we'll get a much more traditional episode with the big battle against the syndicate, but I'm down for that.
IceBear

Post by IceBear »

Spoiler:
While I doubt it will happen, I would really like for Luke to drop off Grogu and see Bobba in the next episode :)
We all know that he's going to choose the armor as everyone wants Grogu keep showing up in the Mandalorian and it'll solve the issue of what happens to him when Ben kills everyone.
Blackhawk

Post by Blackhawk »

Spoiler:
I never really saw Luke as that much of a prodigy. It wasn't that he was amazing, it was that he was all that was left.
Blackhawk

Post by Blackhawk »

IceBear wrote: Thu Feb 03, 2022 10:52 am
Spoiler:
We all know that he's going to choose the armor as everyone wants Grogu keep showing up in the Mandalorian and it'll solve the issue of what happens to him when Ben kills everyone.
That is exactly what I'm expecting as well, and why.
JCC

Post by JCC »

Yeah, at this point pretty much everyone knows what decision (spoiler) will make. It would be beyond stunning if it goes the other way.
Black Lives Matter

IceBear

Post by IceBear »

Yeah...my only reason for explaining that is it's likely someone will have to bring <spoiler > to him. So the other part of my post was speculation on who that might be and the fun / awkward scene if it is him
Sudy

Post by Sudy »

Lmao... so basically this is just the Star Wars anthology show at this point. Not that I mind....

Spoilered thoughts, before reading yours:
Spoiler:
- With as much as I enjoyed the first episode of this series, I'm really disappointed with how this series has gone with regard to fleshing out the character of Boba Fett. But as others have pointed out, that legacy really already lay with the Mandalorian. This series could still have been something else, though. Once Fett wandered out of the desert it seemed like that door was slammed shut.

- So, I was kind of hoping we'd never see digi-Skywalker again. (Honestly, I was hoping and assuming we'd never see Grogu again, as well. At least not nearly so soon.) But I've got to admit, some of the time, sometimes for a whole shot, my brain did believe that was Hamill 35 years ago! And not just when he wasn't moving or speaking. (At first, they seemed to acknowledge this as he only spoke off screen. It felt weird, but I wish they'd kept it that way.) Many other times though it just still did not look right. And the hair was also so wrong from the side. The audio often fared better. See, now I'm sad that The Last Jedi didn't permit this ending for Luke, as much as I didn't mind Johnson's take.

- I don't know the work of Jennifer Beals very well, but I liked her role in this and I'm earnestly bummed she didn't get to do more. (I'm assuming her character is dead.)

- It kind of feels like we're assembling the space Avengers (or at least the folks with their own shows; perhaps Defenders--or Justice League!--is the better analogy), and it kind of feels forced/unearned at this point. Disney has DCd Star Wars.

- I won't say Timothy Olyphant isn't made to play this role, but it's a bit hard to take him seriously when he's literally played it multiple times.

- And geez, Cad Bane was stuffed into this episode too. And he looks fantastic! I couldn't tell how much was CGI (which means it was good), but they really went above and beyond for creature quality on this show. I think there was one time he didn't look quite right from the side, but I may be misremembering his features. That's the other thing... I only watched half of Clone Wars. I think it's cool to see him, but I don't really feel connected to him? Superfans and younger fans must be losing their shit however.

- I don't understand why Fett's so useless at finding his own muscle. I get he wants to rule by respect or whatever, but shouldn't there be scores of semi-scum who will work for gold on Tatooine? How about trying to contact some of those other honourable Tusken tribes?

- They obviously couldn't keep Gina Carano, but I actually really enjoyed her character and think she would have fit in well to this plot. I'm sure the Mandalorian (the show) will have some kind of replacement for her.

- Grogu... yeah. Grogu's great, but I think it's actually the Mandalorian who needs to grow as a character without him. Frigging seriously, we couldn't even go BETWEEN SEASONS with them separated?

I saw a commercial on late night TV. It said, "Forget everything you know about slipcovers." So I did. And it was a load off my mind. Then the commercial tried to sell me slipcovers, and I didn't know what the hell they were. -- Mitch Hedberg
Sudy

Post by Sudy »

Baroquen wrote: Thu Feb 03, 2022 7:06 am
wonderpug wrote: Thu Feb 03, 2022 1:50 am Such a fun episode. And I'm amazed how good that kind of special effect is getting.
Spoiler:
Spoiler:
My wife read that Lucasfilm hired one of the internet "deep fake" guys to punch up the de-aging effects. That would make sense, though I didn't dig to confirm the story. But I agree - it looks much better, not that it was bad before.
Spoiler:
I was wondering if that's what they did. I recall the Youtube video after season 2 that compared the show's work with a deepfake, and the deepfake was far more convincing. Honestly, I had a lot of problems with the effect in season 2. It was amazing, but it still felt off to me. In this episode though, it truly had me fooled for some stretches. Still a long way to go though.

Jaymann

Post by Jaymann »

The episode literally put me to sleep, but an explosion woke me up. I need a spoiler:
Spoiler:
Who set off the bomb at the bar?
Also I was irritated by:
Spoiler:
Skywalker forcing Grogu to make a choice. Why can't a Jedi wear chainmail? Yeah, I know it was symbolic and all, but fuck that.
Jaymann
]==(:::::::::::::>
Black Lives Matter
hepcat

Post by hepcat »

Jaymann wrote: Fri Feb 04, 2022 12:29 pm The episode literally put me to sleep, but an explosion woke me up. I need a spoiler:
Spoiler:
Who set off the bomb at the bar?
Also I was irritated by:
Spoiler:
Skywalker forcing Grogu to make a choice. Why can't a Jedi wear chainmail? Yeah, I know it was symbolic and all, but fuck that.
first
Spoiler:
the pykes
second
Spoiler:
jedis are dicks
Covfefe!
Sudy

Post by Sudy »

Spoiler:
Chainmail ain't going to save you from an energy blast. If there's one thing I don't need to see, it's foundling Grogu bouncing around his six-foot bounty target wielding a tiny melee weapon.

hepcat

Post by hepcat »

Sudy wrote: Fri Feb 04, 2022 12:49 pm
Spoiler:
Chainmail ain't going to save you from an energy blast. If there's one thing I don't need to see, it's foundling Grogu bouncing around his six-foot bounty target wielding a tiny melee weapon.
Spoiler:
One made from beskar steel most certainly will.
Covfefe!
Smoove_B

Post by Smoove_B »

I'm barely a Star Wars fan and I was absolutely blown away by the episode this week (#6). That was seriously impressive work. Both this current episode and the last one really elevated this for me. The first four weren't bad, but they really changed the energy with these last two. Which is weird (as others have noted) because it's a series about Boba Fett. I am quite curious to see where this is all going.
Maybe next year, maybe no go