The dumbest evergreen crisis - the debt ceiling is back!

For discussion of religion and politics

Moderators: LawBeefaroni, $iljanus

malchior

Re: The dumbest evergreen crisis - the debt ceiling is back!

Post by malchior »

malchior wrote: Thu Dec 09, 2021 3:04 pm
coopasonic wrote: Thu Dec 09, 2021 3:02 pm
malchior wrote: Thu Dec 09, 2021 3:00 pm A rare positive. The hostage has been released and the evergreen crisis is mostly in the past! My take is that even McConnell is spooked by our decline and wants to take the nuclear trigger out of the rebels' hands.

I don't know the details, but I see "one time" there and am less hopeful.
Fair enough. There was a real chance they were going to trip over the line here.
Also, I now realize that mixing some sarcasm in there didn't work. I have no real expectations this is solved. In fact, we have indicators of the opposite.

I can't find the article again but there is a lot of talk about fallout on the GOP side. Essentially Trump challenged the GOP to crush the 'Biden' agenda by refusing to raise the debt ceiling. Also nuking the dollar and America's credit rating from orbit. McConnell blanched at crossing this line and struck the "one-time" deal and got 14 to sign on. All 14 of the GOP who broke the filibuster to pass it are now under withering fire. We're getting to the point where immense pressure is being put on individual Senators to walk into oblivion and force a crisis because they believe that is a winning move. We've got YUGE problems. There is no guarantee that we won't default next month or in February or sometime up until the Republicans take back Congress.
pr0ner

Post by pr0ner »

Daehawk wrote: Fri Dec 10, 2021 12:03 am Bet Trump is pissed. Why do people care? He is a nothing.
Trump is much more than a "nothing".
Hodor.
Alefroth

Post by Alefroth »

So McConnell got enough GOP support to pass a measure that would allow the debt ceiling to pass without needing GOP support?

What the smeg is wrong with them?
El Guapo

Post by El Guapo »

Alefroth wrote: Fri Dec 10, 2021 3:07 pm So McConnell got enough GOP support to pass a measure that would allow the debt ceiling to pass without needing GOP support?

What the smeg is wrong with them?
That way the Republican senators can say (technically accurately) that they voted against raising the debt ceiling.

Politics are dumb, and modern Republican politics are the dumbest of the dumb.
Black Lives Matter.
Isgrimnur

Post by Isgrimnur »

CNN
The Senate voted on Tuesday to raise the national debt limit by $2.5 trillion and extend it into 2023 as lawmakers race to avert a catastrophic default ahead of a critical midweek deadline.

The House will next have to approve the legislation before it can be sent to President Joe Biden to be signed into law. The final tally for the Senate vote, which fell along party lines, was 50 to 49.
It's almost as if people are the problem.
Carpet_pissr

Post by Carpet_pissr »

I would ALMOST love to see them cock it up and not pass it. It would be a hard lesson, but obviously one that needs learning.

Keep poking the bear, asshats!