The Case of Gabby Petito

Everything else!

Moderators: Bakhtosh, EvilHomer3k

Daehawk

Re: The Case of Gabby Petito

Post by Daehawk »

El Guapo wrote: Tue Sep 21, 2021 4:51 pm
Alefroth wrote: Tue Sep 21, 2021 1:06 pm I wonder who will get the movie rights.
I assume that Lifetime has already started filming.
They probably already have one in the vault for this. With Dean Cain and Sarah Jessica Parker.
--------------------------------------------
I am Dyslexic of Borg, prepare to have your ass laminated.
I guess Ray Butts has ate his last pancake.
http://steamcommunity.com/id/daehawk
"Has high IQ. Refuses to apply it"
Alefroth

Post by Alefroth »

Alefroth wrote: Tue Sep 21, 2021 1:06 pm I wonder who will get the movie rights.
I'm sure the script was already written, just had to add some details.
Isgrimnur

Post by Isgrimnur »

They'll just pick it up in ADR.
It's almost as if people are the problem.
LawBeefaroni
Forum Moderator

Post by LawBeefaroni »

Aaaaand, we have a wedge.

What I like about influencers is that they are the artists currently held in disdain. Actors and poets used to be warned against in polite society, now they are pillars of that society.

Influencers are the old school artists, a little dirty, what do they actually do or produce? They are thought to be a bad influence. But lo, that is the traditional role of the artist. Gabby Petito was an influencer, an artist, and that is why her loss has captured the heart of America.

There are those on the left who, as usual, want to make the media attention given to the death of Petito a symbol of America’s racism. MSNBC’s Joy Reid calls it "missing white women syndrome." CNN’s Don Lemon points to white privilege. It is reductive, dismissive, and ignorant nonsense. It also denies Petito agency for how she chose to live. It is not racism that made her disappearance a cause celebre, it is her spark and creativity.
Really?
" Hey OP, listen to my advice alright." -Tha General
"No scientific discovery is named after its original discoverer." -Stigler's Law of Eponymy, discovered by Robert K. Merton

MYT
Skinypupy

Post by Skinypupy »

Well, that’s certainly the stupidest thing I’ve read today.
When darkness veils the world, four Warriors of Light shall come.
Carpet_pissr

Post by Carpet_pissr »

Beat me to it.

I’m thinking this person has no idea what an ‘influencer’ is in the modern context.

And while I will occasionally use “lo” ironically or to (try) to be funny, I think this person might actually be using it in a non-humorous way.
Victoria Raverna

Post by Victoria Raverna »

Was she one of the famous influencers? How many people know her before this?
Grifman

Post by Grifman »

Nope, Hallmark has the rights.
Tolerance is the virtue of the man without convictions. – G.K. Chesterton
Archinerd

Post by Archinerd »

Grifman wrote: Tue Sep 21, 2021 8:50 pm
Nope, Hallmark has the rights.
Dr. Phil got the jump on them.
LawBeefaroni
Forum Moderator

Post by LawBeefaroni »

I got a scanner alert about a manhunt in Sarasota, which is assume is for this guy but I'm not about to listen in. No news elsewhere.
"No scientific discovery is named after its original discoverer." -Stigler's Law of Eponymy, discovered by Robert K. Merton

MYT
Hrothgar

Post by Hrothgar »

One of the TV talking heads seemed to say this could be a very tough case to prove. If he's just hiding somewhere, could he get away with it? Is reasonable doubt too high a burden?
Unagi

Post by Unagi »

I would defend him with: prejudiced jury

Not reasonable doubt.

It’s exceptionally reasonable to doubt that he is innocent in her death.

IMO
LawBeefaroni
Forum Moderator

Post by LawBeefaroni »

Hrothgar wrote: Wed Sep 22, 2021 1:56 pm One of the TV talking heads seemed to say this could be a very tough case to prove. If he's just hiding somewhere, could he get away with it? Is reasonable doubt too high a burden?
It's pretty evident that he couldn't hold it together under any sort of questioning and his parents and counsel know it. If he is arrested, it's probably over for him unless his attorney sleeps in the cell.

MYT
Smoove_B

Post by Smoove_B »

Until we know exactly how she was found and if they can figure out if her death was in any way related to something he did, reasonable doubt will be enough. All he has to say is she ran off or they had a fight and she left him and if she was just found dead from exposure or dehydration, that'll be enough.

All he has to say is he panicked because after calming down he knew it didn't look good so he ran off but now he regrets having left her out there and he should have called the police or someone to come get her after she left him.

There would need to be convincing evidence - like a crushed throat or smashed skull - that could possibly link him. But even then, lawyers might argue some random homeless person or drifter could have attacked her - it's not like hundreds of other people haven't gone missing in that same general area.

Terrible story, all around.
Maybe next year, maybe no go
LawBeefaroni
Forum Moderator

Post by LawBeefaroni »

Smoove_B wrote: Wed Sep 22, 2021 2:53 pm Until we know exactly how she was found and if they can figure out if her death was in any way related to something he did, reasonable doubt will be enough. All he has to say is she ran off or they had a fight and she left him and if she was just found dead from exposure or dehydration, that'll be enough.
The ME ruled it homicide.

A coroner in Wyoming confirmed on Tuesday that the body found in the park over the weekend is Gabby Petito, and has ruled that her death was a homicide.

The manner and cause of death are still pending the final autopsy results, the FBI said in a tweet.

MYT
Smoove_B

Post by Smoove_B »

Ah, hadn't seen that. If the ME was able to make that determination so quickly, I'd imagine it had to be overwhelmingly violent and easy to determine. Again, the case against him certainly isn't looking good but I don't think it's a slam-dunk yet. Justice would be nice.
Maybe next year, maybe no go
Carpet_pissr

Post by Carpet_pissr »

Also, I don't think it was posted here, but there was another 911 call released from rando passersbys right before the cops incident. They called in saying a dude was slapping a girl (as opposed to the story the couple told the cops, which was the other way around).

I guess we (and the cops) took their word for it that she slapped HIM.

So if that's the case, as often as we have called this guy a dummy, that was pretty savvy move.
Alefroth

Post by Alefroth »

Carpet_pissr wrote: Wed Sep 22, 2021 3:36 pm Also, I don't think it was posted here, but there was another 911 call released from rando passersbys right before the cops incident. They called in saying a dude was slapping a girl (as opposed to the story the couple told the cops, which was the other way around).

So if that's the case, as often as we have called this guy a dummy, that was pretty savvy move.
He did have scratch marks on his face.
Jaymann

Post by Jaymann »

Alefroth wrote: Wed Sep 22, 2021 4:16 pm
Carpet_pissr wrote: Wed Sep 22, 2021 3:36 pm Also, I don't think it was posted here, but there was another 911 call released from rando passersbys right before the cops incident. They called in saying a dude was slapping a girl (as opposed to the story the couple told the cops, which was the other way around).

He did have scratch marks on his face.
Maybe he watched season one of Fargo.
Jaymann
]==(:::::::::::::>
Black Lives Matter
Holman

Post by Holman »

Victoria Raverna wrote: Tue Sep 21, 2021 8:17 pm Was she one of the famous influencers? How many people know her before this?
I wouldn't know, but my limited sense from reading the news is that she had followers but was no superstar.

Her content seems to have been about traveling to various places around the world and talking about how beautiful they are.
Much prefer my Nazis Nuremberged.
Kasey Chang

Post by Kasey Chang »

Smoove_B wrote: Wed Sep 22, 2021 3:24 pm Ah, hadn't seen that. If the ME was able to make that determination so quickly, I'd imagine it had to be overwhelmingly violent and easy to determine. Again, the case against him certainly isn't looking good but I don't think it's a slam-dunk yet. Justice would be nice.
If it's THAT easy to determine for a body that had been exposed to the elements for God knows how long, and possibly disturbed by animals, it's not going to be something vague like head injury, or even strangling. I'm voting for a weapon, something easily available in the vehicle.
My game FAQs | Playing: She Will Punish Them, Sunrider: Mask of Arcadius, The Outer Worlds
Isgrimnur

Post by Isgrimnur »

A reminder: there are only a few categories that a coroner's finding falls into:
  • natural
  • accident
  • suicide
  • homicide
  • undetermined
It's almost as if people are the problem.
YellowKing

Post by YellowKing »

I just found out she lived in my town for a few years and worked as a server at a local restaurant. That certainly makes it hit a bit closer to home. :cry:
Victoria Raverna

LawBeefaroni wrote: Wed Sep 22, 2021 2:51 pm
Hrothgar wrote: Wed Sep 22, 2021 1:56 pm One of the TV talking heads seemed to say this could be a very tough case to prove. If he's just hiding somewhere, could he get away with it? Is reasonable doubt too high a burden?
It's pretty evident that he couldn't hold it together under any sort of questioning and his parents and counsel know it. If he is arrested, it's probably over for him unless his attorney sleeps in the cell.
Any idea why the police didn't just bring him in for questioning before he disappeared?
Jeff V

Post by Jeff V »

Victoria Raverna wrote: Wed Sep 22, 2021 10:32 pm Any idea why the police didn't just bring him in for questioning before he disappeared?
Just the usual excuses that she wasn't yet really considered to be missing at the time. But yeah, if I was a cop interviewing an uncooperative fuckwit I'd find an excuse to keep tabs on him. I chock this up to laziness on the local PD.
Black Lives Matter
LawBeefaroni
Forum Moderator

Post by LawBeefaroni »

Victoria Raverna wrote: Wed Sep 22, 2021 10:32 pm
LawBeefaroni wrote: Wed Sep 22, 2021 2:51 pm
Any idea why the police didn't just bring him in for questioning before he disappeared?
He may not have been at the home. I don't think they ever actually saw him, the parents just said he was there.

MYT
malchior

Post by malchior »

So Laundrie was indicted and a federal arrest warrant issued this afternoon for...credit card fraud.

Unagi

Post by Unagi »

So this is likely “the use of her debit card”, or something like that....?
malchior

Post by malchior »

Unagi wrote: Thu Sep 23, 2021 7:16 pm So this is likely “the use of her debit card”, or something like that....?
My guess is they have enough timeline established to say he used her cards after her death.
Unagi

Post by Unagi »

malchior wrote: Thu Sep 23, 2021 7:30 pm
Unagi wrote: Thu Sep 23, 2021 7:16 pm So this is likely “the use of her debit card”, or something like that....?
My guess is they have enough timeline established to say he used her cards after her death.
Right. I should have been more specific there.
dbt1949

Post by dbt1949 »

So that's what that warrant says?
Ye Olde Farte
Double Ought Forty
aka dbt1949
Victoria Raverna

Or used her phone? Is that a crime?

https://www.news4jax.com/news/local/202 ... stigators/
In the last text message Gabby Petito’s mother received from her daughter’s phone number, Gabby’s grandfather was referred to as “Stan.”

According to a warrant, that text was a red flag for her mother because Petito never refers to her grandfather by his first name.

Her mother told investigators the Aug. 27 text message read: “Can you help Stan, I just keep getting his voicemails and missed calls.”

The text was the first sign that her daughter may be in trouble while on a cross-country trip with her boyfriend Brian Laundrie. Petito’s mother has said she believes her daughter did not send the last text she received from her, a text that was sent three days after she last spoke with her family.
Victoria Raverna

dbt1949 wrote: Thu Sep 23, 2021 11:42 pm So that's what that warrant says?
The warrant says:

Use of Unauthorized Access Devices
malchior

Post by malchior »

Victoria Raverna wrote: Fri Sep 24, 2021 12:04 am
Or used her phone? Is that a crime?
Unless he bypassed phone security by "hacking" the phone it probably wasn't a crime.
dbt1949

Post by dbt1949 »

Victoria Raverna wrote: Fri Sep 24, 2021 12:06 am
dbt1949 wrote: Thu Sep 23, 2021 11:42 pm So that's what that warrant says?
The warrant says:

:) My bad. I meant what does that mean? Like her credit cards?
Ye Olde Farte
Double Ought Forty
aka dbt1949
Kasey Chang

Post by Kasey Chang »

dbt1949 wrote: Fri Sep 24, 2021 12:36 am
Victoria Raverna wrote: Fri Sep 24, 2021 12:06 am The warrant says:

:) My bad. I meant what does that mean? Like her credit cards?
Yep.
Unauthorized use of any type of access device entity such as a debit or credit card issued to another individual is a crime if the prosecution can prove that the defendant intentionally used the card to pay for goods and services or obtain money.
My game FAQs | Playing: She Will Punish Them, Sunrider: Mask of Arcadius, The Outer Worlds
Max Peck

Post by Max Peck »

Some of the articles out there include the text of the grand jury indictment, and it explicity states that he used a specific debit card over a period of a couple of days to withdraw funds from a couple of specific accounts, apparently committing interstate fraud in the process. Presumably that means he used her card to access her accounts after she was dead, but it doesn't state that outright.

Enlarge Image
"What? What? What?" -- The 14th Doctor

It's not enough to be a good player... you also have to play well. -- Siegbert Tarrasch
Blackhawk

Post by Blackhawk »

There may also be an element of 'Write something down so we can grab him and hold him.'
(˙pǝsɹǝʌǝɹ uǝǝq sɐɥ ʎʇıʌɐɹƃ ʃɐuosɹǝd ʎW)
Unagi

Post by Unagi »

And I’m sure Gabby’s family also would like that money back as it was stolen, so no matter what this would be filed, right?
Alefroth

Post by Alefroth »

Dog the Bounty Hunter is inserting himself into the case now.

https://www.fox7austin.com/news/gabby-p ... s-personal
"The reason I went to Mr. [Christopher] Laundrie is I carry a reputation with me," he told Fox News Digital moments later. "The reputation is, ‘He gives you a second chance. He’s gonna get you, but he gives you a second chance.’"