Will the Democrats self-destruct on reconciliation? Mixed results!

For discussion of religion and politics

Moderators: LawBeefaroni, $iljanus

Smoove_B

Re: Will the Democrats self-destruct on reconciliation?

Post by Smoove_B »

Octavious wrote: Mon Nov 01, 2021 2:56 pm Machin has said he's not in on the 1.75 Trillion bill. We're fooked

The framework that Manchin is now trashing was one he negotiated more directly with the White House than probably any other single Senator.
There is no interest in making any of this happen; it's all theater.
Maybe next year, maybe no go
pr0ner

Post by pr0ner »

Octavious wrote: Mon Nov 01, 2021 2:56 pm I think we know the answer to the original question. Yes they will self destruct. Machin has said he's not in on the 1.75 Trillion bill. We're fooked.. And tomorrow will probably get creamed in Virginia. So much winning.
Please define "creamed in Virginia" for me, someone who actually gets to vote in Virginia tomorrow.
Hodor.
Octavious

Post by Octavious »

Losing is creamed. Even if it's one vote. So probably not an accurate statement. Feels like all the momentum is on the R side. I'd love to be wrong.
Capitalism tries for a delicate balance: It attempts to work things out so that everyone gets just enough stuff to keep them from getting violent and trying to take other people’s stuff.

Shameless plug for my website: www.nettphoto.com
El Guapo

Post by El Guapo »

The thing is that we're probably screwed even if Youngkin wins tomorrow. People are going to put a ton of importance on the result as some augur for 2024, and for sure it is of consequence whether Virginia has a trumpist as its governor, but even if McAuliffe wins by a healthy margin it's not going to materially change the dozen or so reasons why we're boned.

I guess I'm not sure whether that helps or not.
Black Lives Matter.
Octavious

Post by Octavious »

We're likely screwed no matter what but losing Virginia is going to look badddddd.
Capitalism tries for a delicate balance: It attempts to work things out so that everyone gets just enough stuff to keep them from getting violent and trying to take other people’s stuff.

pr0ner

Post by pr0ner »

Octavious wrote: Mon Nov 01, 2021 3:37 pm Losing is creamed. Even if it's one vote. So probably not an accurate statement. Feels like all the momentum is on the R side. I'd love to be wrong.
Sure, momentum is with Youngkin, but the race is tight, and losing does not exactly equal creamed.

Unfortunately, it's not like McAuliffe has run a campaign guaranteed to win here this time (he didn't win by a lot in 2013, either), and Virginia as a whole is not a liberal stronghold.
Hodor.
Octavious

Post by Octavious »

My brother must be on a business trip this week lol. Malchior did you die?

malchior

Post by malchior »

Octavious wrote: Mon Nov 01, 2021 8:29 pm My brother must be on a business trip this week lol. Malchior did you die?
This is correct. I am in CA and can't care about this right now after a 15 hour work day. Still I am unsurprised by the turn of events. I have been operating from an assumption that Manchin was a garbage human. He has proved it out over and over.
malchior

Post by malchior »

Putting aside the dumb wealth framing, assholes chasing Senate assholes around is a bad new trend.

Blackhawk

Post by Blackhawk »

"Tried to run us over."
Spoiler:
(˙pǝsɹǝʌǝɹ uǝǝq sɐɥ ʎʇıʌɐɹƃ ʃɐuosɹǝd ʎW)
malchior

Post by malchior »

Big time. Still the serious undertone is that we are seeing people getting more focused on their "targets" of ire. As more pressure builds, I fear one of these encounters turns into a violent incident. It worries me since this system is a tinderbox.
malchior

Post by malchior »

In other news, there is a good chance the BBB and BIF plans pass in the House today. I expect the reconciliation bill will languish in the Senate but in the end the progressive blockade accomplished little. As expected. Manchin/Sinema (and by extention the super wealthy) win again. But that works in a world where they have white, uneducated women chasing the specter of CRT out of classrooms across the nation.
malchior

Post by malchior »

The Democrats fly off the rails! Now the moderates in the House at the 11th hour are demanding CBO scoring of BBB or *they won't vote*. You can't make this stuff up. I intentionally chose the most ironic response just because it's full on 'our nation is clown shoes' time.

Isgrimnur

Post by Isgrimnur »

If someone did that to a police officer, in the unlikely event that they survived to go to trial, they'd be charged with all the things.
It's almost as if people are the problem.
LordMortis

Post by LordMortis »

Manchin is not exactly in my top five of favorite people but attempting to prevent egress/ingress is not something I would consider (protected) protesting. I consider that a hazard.
Isgrimnur

Post by Isgrimnur »

As it's not a public space or owned by one of the protesters, they're absolutely trespassing.
It's almost as if people are the problem.
malchior

Post by malchior »

Criminality plus let's chase and block him in at his home is a super solid strategy for advocating change.
malchior

Post by malchior »

malchior

Post by malchior »

Simple messaging like this months ago would have been fucking helpful. Instead they let the conversation be bogged down by huge numbers and stupid in-fighting.

Zarathud

Post by Zarathud »

In-fighting is pretty bad now. Pelosi is holding a vote on the rule for considering the reconciliation bill but may not have the votes.
"If the facts don't fit the theory, change the facts." - Albert Einstein
"I don't stand by anything." - Trump
“Bad men need nothing more to compass their ends, than that good men should look on and do nothing.” - John Stuart Mill, Inaugural Address Delivered to the University of St Andrews, 2/1/1867
“It is the impractical things in this tumultuous hell-scape of a world that matter most. A book, a name, chicken soup. They help us remember that, even in our darkest hour, life is still to be savored.” - Poe, Altered Carbon
Skinypupy

Post by Skinypupy »

Zarathud wrote: Fri Nov 05, 2021 5:50 pm In-fighting is pretty bad now. Pelosi is holding a vote on the rule for considering the reconciliation bill but may not have the votes.
And every one of them will point to the others and say "If only they would get in line, then something would get done!" All while absolutely nothing continues to get done and every lever of power is handed back to the GOP...who could not have asked for a better gift at this particular moment in history. :grund:
When darkness veils the world, four Warriors of Light shall come.
pr0ner

Post by pr0ner »

Hodor.
malchior

Post by malchior »

I'm thinking the Democrats in disarray meme is not all that unfair at the moment.

Defiant

Post by Defiant »

Defiant wrote: Mon Oct 18, 2021 10:35 am I think I've said this before, but if Republicans were smart, they'd back the bipartisan bill by enough that the progressives couldn't vote it down. Which would further divide the two sides, and almost make Republicans look good. Well, look less thoroughly evil.
And it looks like Republicans in the House took my advice to heart and voted for the bipartisan bill by enough that had they not, it would have failed, because six progressive Democrats voted against it. Only, they only did it after the Democrats have repeatedly shown them, from what I can tell, to be more incompetent than they have ever been before - well played, Republicans, well played.

It hurts those progressives by removing their leverage, further divided Democrats, and has Republicans save the day, as it were. OTOH, it does mean that they gave Biden a win.

malchior

Post by malchior »

It also gives the corporate Dems an out if/when they pull the BBB ball away. They'll possibly claim the Progressives broke the deal. Even then, it still feels to me that the BBB bill will happen but the GOP just handed Manchin even more leverage to squeeze more out of it.
El Guapo

Post by El Guapo »

Yeah I would say the upshot is that the absolute worst case scenario - neither bill passes, McConnell cackles with glee, and the Democratic caucus starts competing in the Hunger Games - is off the table. Further, I don't think Manchin / Sinema / House "moderates" will want to fully kill the reconciliation bill, since there are things they'll want and its bad PR for them if they deliver nothing. But they'll have the leverage to cut it down a lot.

Best case scenario is that Manchin's pressure leads them to have half a dozen permanent programs rather than a dozen programs that will suddenly end during Trump's second term, which is what they should do anyway. But I'm not holding my breath.
Black Lives Matter.
Smoove_B

Post by Smoove_B »

It is rather interesting that the focus seems to be on how the Democrats barely passed the bill and it wasn't even fully supported. Instead the focus seems to be on how it was necessary for the Republicans to lend support, somehow painting them as saviors. Why, I wonder, doesn't the media largely focus on just how many members of the GOP once again voted against something most Americans wanted?

Like...the nation is literally and figuratively falling to pieces and there's a sizeable chunk of Congress that is doing everything they can to stop even the most basic investments in our infrastructure.
malchior

Post by malchior »

The honest truth seems to be that the biggest media players are not really healthy institutions. They suffer from much of the same rot as our institutions. Also, they are incentivized and driven by competition with social media to draw eyes and clicks. And even then it is chock full of just flawed analysis.

Chris Cillizza as editor-at-large of CNN? I mean really. The NY Times has become a parody of itself half the time as the Pitchbot keeps pointing out with sharpness. The airwaves are just loaded with pundits who occasionally are helpful but I'd guess 80% or more are not. It's an information wasteland out there.
Pyperkub

Post by Pyperkub »

malchior wrote:It also gives the corporate Dems an out if/when they pull the BBB ball away. They'll possibly claim the Progressives broke the deal. Even then, it still feels to me that the BBB bill will happen but the GOP just handed Manchin even more leverage to squeeze more out of it.
If that happens, just use reconciliation to pass voting rights reform this year.
Black Lives definitely Matter Lorini!

Also: There are three ways to not tell the truth: lies, damned lies, and statistics.
Defiant

Post by Defiant »

Pyperkub wrote: Sat Nov 06, 2021 1:37 pm
malchior wrote:It also gives the corporate Dems an out if/when they pull the BBB ball away. They'll possibly claim the Progressives broke the deal. Even then, it still feels to me that the BBB bill will happen but the GOP just handed Manchin even more leverage to squeeze more out of it.
If that happens, just use reconciliation to pass voting rights reform this year.
I don't think they can do that, because, IIUC, reconciliation bills have to be budgetary bills (as determined by the Senate Parliamentarian)
Alefroth

Post by Alefroth »

Defiant wrote: Sat Nov 06, 2021 2:25 pm
I don't think they can do that, because, IIUC, reconciliation bills have to be budgetary bills (as determined by the Senate Parliamentarian)
That's correct, but they wouldn't even be able to pass it if it was allowed.
Smoove_B

Post by Smoove_B »

Just for the record:
Rep. Don Bacon of Nebraska
Rep. Brian Fitzpatrick of Pennsylvania
Rep. Andrew Garbarino of New York
Rep. Anthony Gonzalez of Ohio
Rep. John Katko of New York
Rep. Adam Kinzinger of Illinois
Rep. Nicole Malliotakis of New York
Rep. David McKinley of West Virginia
Rep. Tom Reed of New York
Rep. Chris Smith of New Jersey
Rep. Fred Upton of Michigan
Rep. Jeff Van Drew of New Jersey
Rep. Don Young of Alaska
These are the 13 GOP members that supported the infrastructure bill. The two NJ representatives are garbage people (Van Drew in particular), so I'm not really sure why they supported it. But more interesting to me is who isn't on that list? Liz Cheney. Funny that.
malchior

Post by malchior »

Defiant wrote: Sat Nov 06, 2021 2:25 pm
+1
malchior

Post by malchior »

Smoove_B wrote: Sat Nov 06, 2021 2:33 pmThese are the 13 GOP members that supported the infrastructure bill. The two NJ representatives are garbage people (Van Drew in particular), so I'm not really sure why they supported it.
I imagine Pelosi traded them something in return - perhaps they'll add something into the BBB bill for them.
Zaxxon
Forum Moderator

Post by Zaxxon »

malchior wrote: Sat Nov 06, 2021 5:26 pm
Smoove_B wrote: Sat Nov 06, 2021 2:33 pmThese are the 13 GOP members that supported the infrastructure bill. The two NJ representatives are garbage people (Van Drew in particular), so I'm not really sure why they supported it.
I imagine Pelosi traded them something in return - perhaps they'll add something into the BBB bill for them.
Well, Kinzinger has the clear eyes that come with about-to-retiritis.
pr0ner

Post by pr0ner »

El Guapo wrote: Sat Nov 06, 2021 11:39 am Yeah I would say the upshot is that the absolute worst case scenario - neither bill passes, McConnell cackles with glee, and the Democratic caucus starts competing in the Hunger Games - is off the table. Further, I don't think Manchin / Sinema / House "moderates" will want to fully kill the reconciliation bill, since there are things they'll want and its bad PR for them if they deliver nothing. But they'll have the leverage to cut it down a lot.

Best case scenario is that Manchin's pressure leads them to have half a dozen permanent programs rather than a dozen programs that will suddenly end during Trump's second term, which is what they should do anyway. But I'm not holding my breath.
Neither bill passes? Which other bill are you talking about? The infrastructure bill already passed the Senate (69-30 was the vote!) with a ton of Republican support, and is off to Biden for his signature.
Hodor.
malchior

Post by malchior »

pr0ner wrote: Mon Nov 08, 2021 2:57 pm
El Guapo wrote: Sat Nov 06, 2021 11:39 am Yeah I would say the upshot is that the absolute worst case scenario - neither bill passes, McConnell cackles with glee, and the Democratic caucus starts competing in the Hunger Games - is off the table. Further, I don't think Manchin / Sinema / House "moderates" will want to fully kill the reconciliation bill, since there are things they'll want and its bad PR for them if they deliver nothing. But they'll have the leverage to cut it down a lot.

Neither bill passes? Which other bill are you talking about? The infrastructure bill already passed the Senate (69-30 was the vote!) with a ton of Republican support, and is off to Biden for his signature.
FWIW my read on what El Guapo is saying is that since the bill passed the (very unlikely) disaster possibility that neither passes is now off the table.
Last edited by malchior on Mon Nov 08, 2021 3:01 pm, edited 1 time in total.
pr0ner

Post by pr0ner »

Smoove_B wrote: Sat Nov 06, 2021 12:04 pm It is rather interesting that the focus seems to be on how the Democrats barely passed the bill and it wasn't even fully supported. Instead the focus seems to be on how it was necessary for the Republicans to lend support, somehow painting them as saviors. Why, I wonder, doesn't the media largely focus on just how many members of the GOP once again voted against something most Americans wanted?

Like...the nation is literally and figuratively falling to pieces and there's a sizeable chunk of Congress that is doing everything they can to stop even the most basic investments in our infrastructure.
Well, as I said to El Guapo above, 19 Republican senators already voted for the bill. There's a reason the media kept calling it the Bipartisan Infrastructure Bill. It's just wild that some House GOPers were ready to paint their Republican colleagues as traitors for voting for something that already had decent Republican support in Congress.
Hodor.
El Guapo

Post by El Guapo »

Ummm yeah which I why I said that that possibility is "off the table". I.e., it is no longer possible for neither bill (e.g., neither reconciliation nor infrastructure) to pass.
Black Lives Matter.
pr0ner

Post by pr0ner »

malchior wrote: Mon Nov 08, 2021 3:00 pm

FWIW my read on what El Guapo is saying is that since the bill passed the (very unlikely) disaster possibility that neither passes is now off the table.
Ah, yes, after re-reading his post again, I see what you're saying.
Hodor.